How do you respond to posts seeking advice?

Options
SwannySez
SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
On any forum you see a lot of posts asking for advice ranging from "Do you think my significant other is cheating on me?" to "Should I eat back my exercise calories?" to "Do you have any advice for how to treat a sucking chest wound?" to "Does this picture show off my vajazzling?" to "Have you accepted Jesus H. Christ as your personal savior?" to "I can't get pregnant the first time I have sex...can I?" to the open ended "What would you do if..."

it always fascinates me to watch people respond to these kinds of queries. Mostly because the query is inevitably only one side of a situation and most likely doesn't completely depict all of the factors involved. But I watch people proclaim in no uncertain terms exactly what that person should do and just what they are if they ignore that advice!

How do you tend to see such queries and how do you approach answering them?

Personally I tend to tread lightly because of my belief in the theory that we are not seeing a complete picture and my recognition that if a person were to follow my knee-jerk advice that I would in a sense feel responsible for any consequences. I guess that makes me a bit naive, but oh well.

What's your take on such entreaties?

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I like the give the worst advice possible

relate it all back to myself, for the extra attention

then troll the **** out of all the other posters
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    hookers and blow...my universal response to everything.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

This, is the perfect approach to nearly any situation...
  • SwannySez
    Options

I like this plan, St. Bare Knees (oh, now that I gave you this nickname I feel the need to use it constantly unitl it catches on or I get bored and forget).
    Hard to argue with that.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Well, I sometimes like the fact that someone with little information may have an alternate way of looking at something...

For example, Johnny and Jane I know personally... It doesn't shock me that Johnny said that. But once people pointed out what a really disrespectful thing that was to do it made me realize "Yeah... that was. Why am I numb and accepting of the fact that he gets away with doing that?"

Just getting different perspectives can help :)
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

I like this plan, St. Bare Knees (oh, now that I gave you this nickname I feel the need to use it constantly unitl it catches on or I get bored and forget).
    Hard to argue with that.

I'm the same way. I never hesitate to offer real advice on things like fitness where people descibe most of the factors they are dealing with. But I get so disgusted everytime I see these morons posting how they "hate" their spouse or their husband/wife treats them so badly or did this wrong. Nothing disturbs me more than the absolute lack of intimacy, trust, and respect for a partner in life by bashing them all over the web. If the problems are that big, get counseling or get out.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

I like this approach!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options

I like it. Has more class than the name I gave myself.
  • SwannySez
    Options

Oh, I don't know about that. Let me ask the Tin Man...oh he seems to be asleep..and...so is the Lion...and *yawn*
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not so good at being serious and staying on-topic. Pithy and facetious is how I roll. I start and stop several responses on any given day. This proves that I'm nicer online than in person. I have no backspace button in person.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options

Oh, I don't know about that. Let me ask the Tin Man...oh he seems to be asleep..and...so is the Lion...and *yawn*
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjfZHVod1Yh38AkAiNesFqrYgPR5zf91UseB1DrJyvz47wlHOx4g
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    1. Maybe you're pregnant.

2. Check his text messages.

3. See a doctor and get some blood work done.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I do my level best to make the person feel foolish for asking the question. I can't say that I always succeed.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Have you considered trying HCG?
  • SwannySez
    Options
    I do my level best to make the person feel foolish for asking the question. I can't say that I always succeed.

You get the memorial Randall P. McMurphy Award, Rock - "But I tried, didn't I? Goddamnit, at least I did that."
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I prefer just to sit back and watch the show, so to speak.
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    Options

LOL
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i usually just sit back & enjoy the drama
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Depends on the question at hand. If its something like "Should I worry about the high amount of sugar in fruits" then i'll just say my piece and be off with it.

But there have been some serious problem laid out here. One young woman was being harrassed by her neighbor in a very creepy way and she was trying to convince (perhaps herself?) that she can handle that little man but the things brought up in her post kinda alarmed me to keep on replying to her to keep herself safe and call the cops and the landlord on her.

Then there are the trolls and attention seekers. Not gonna lie, I fall victim to alot of them but if I see a pattern in their replies, I just back off.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    Divorce/break up/ walk away. No matter what the question is or how little information you know always tell them they're stupid if they don't leave his/her sorry *kitten*. The internet is no place for thoughtful, emotionally-mature responses.