What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• aelarek
    aelarek Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Idaho. Biggest misconception is that we are all hillbilly uneducated Podunk white power potato farmers who still live off the land, and carry guns and dogs in our passenger seat.

Forgot to add inbred. And that family reunions are the highlight party of the summer where we sit and drink beer in the city park. Oh and that everyone is everyone's cousins.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York. Way upstate. In the Adirondacks. It's absolutely the boondocks up here. Anytime I'm traveling and I tell someone I'm from New York, I get, "What was it like to grow up in such a big city?" Or, "wow, the big apple!" Or something along those lines. New York is a lot more than just New York City.

The Adirondacks are beautiful! I am from Buffalo, and I've gotten people that think I must be from NYC also....total opposite end of the state! NYC is big, but still just a city. I guess people assume that I am so used to large amounts of snow. But I am always cold even in the summer!
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I live in Indiana Amish Country, and people always assume that I'm a converted Amish (I'm not...born and raised United Methodist), or they assume that I must be a radical Mennonite (also, not true, although my great grandparents were Mennonite). It doesn't help my town any that our town marshal rides around on his horse all summer ;)

If people aren't thinking that I must be Amish or Mennonite, then they assume that I'm a back-country redneck. Yes, people at my high school did carry their shotguns in their gun racks in their trucks, but no, that was not me. I was the "stuck up" girl that drove a Volvo and was best friends with the girl that drove the Mercedes.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Basically every stereotype Canadian's get, I've heard..... Especially the pronunciation of "about".

You mean when your "oot & aboot" :laugh: My wife is from Sask. and whenever she tells someone she is from Canada they act like there is 100 people up there. "Oh yea, we know Bill & Helen from Toronto!"

YUP hahahaha, it's sad... I can't even pronounce it "oot & aboot".... Sounds like a bad Australian accent impression.

LOL...yes it does to me too! The worst is my idiot buddies who ALWAYS have to use the "eh" phrase to her, even though they don't use it correctly. She just returns with "huh" on the end of her sentences. :laugh:
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I live in Pittsburgh...and I have zero interest in sports...don't follow the Steelers, Pirates, Pens, Penn State, Pitt...

I am probably the only one in the city.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I was born in The Bronx. When I tell people that, they usually say, "That makes sense". Apparently people from the Bronx are all outspoken, blunt, and have thick skin.

I've lived in Texas since I was a teenager, and there are so many misconceptions about people in Texas (some already mentioned).
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm from Youngstown, Ohio. "Mafia Town" to some. People think everyone who lives here is in the mob. Or a criminal. *sigh* It really is a nice place to live with a beautiful part (Mil Creek). Yes, we have alot of crime. Yes, we still have "the mob" here, but it does not define us any more than Steel Town did in the 70's.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm from Houston, Texas. The biggest misconception I have run into is people who don't seem to grasp that Houston is a major city. Land wise, it's the largest city in the country. Population wise, it's fourth. We have huge immigrant populations, large museum and theater districts, and one of the biggest and best medical centers in the world. Yet people come here expecting a farm town with cowboys.

When I was a teenager, I took a trip to France, and people literally asked me if I rode a horse to school.

Another time, in middle school, a neighbor's relative came to visit from Indiana. It was his first time in Texas, and the first thing he said when he got there was that he couldn't believe how many limos he'd seen on the freeway. He'd come expecting hicks on horseback, or tractors in the road.

My mom went on a trip to NYC recently (not her first time there). In anticipation of her trip, she spoke to one of her vendors who lives in NJ. He kept going on and on about New York is a *big city* and he was worried about her getting lost.

We are Southern, yes, but we are not a hick town!

^ Howdy y'all from Houston Texas! :bigsmile: Where you can get pho, curry, NY deli-style pizza and enchiladas in the same strip center! We've got a Christian bookstore on one side and a tattoo parlor on the other... and if you don't own (or know someone who owns) a truck, you're outta luck.
  • msleesha
    msleesha Posts: 39
    Options
    Them: "Where are you from?"
    Me: "Kansas City"
    Them: "Oh, Kansas! Where's Toto, Dorothy??!!"

#1. I'm from Kansas City, MISSOURI. #2. No, I don't live on a farm, own cattle, or have ever been swooped up by a tornado...

YES! Me too! LOL. We are from the Show me State, not Wizard of Oz.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I'll call your "ignorant, bible thumpin, gun tote'n, red neck" and raise you a "barefoot pregnant hillbilly with no teeth married to my cousin". Heck some people don't even realize West Virginia is a state, and we're the dumb ones.

I spent a weekend riding my motorcycle in WV. BEAUFITUL state! Based in Marlington & rode through Cass & check out the giant satellite dishes at Greenbank. My wife & I joke about the barefoot & pregnant thing because as soon as we got married people were asking "Pregnant yet?"
    I do admit to liberally using the term "y'all", even though I'm educated and know that "you" is both the singular and plural form of the pronoun.

Plenty of y'all to go 'round here too!

JM
  • PlasticPsycho
    Options
    I'm half-german, and live in Germany.
    Yeah, a lot of people still don't seem to foget the WWII...
    But seriously, I wasn't even born that time and neither was my mum, so really, you can't blame our generation, can you? :/
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin....we all drink (ok, fine, I do) and we all sound like we are from Fargo. Supposedly.

I get the "why don't you have a Boston accent?" a lot (I grew up in the Western part of MA) The accent is really not the whole state of MA and we all don't speak like a Kennedy or the characters on Family Guy. I promise.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I am from Ohio. The thing I hear the most is.... "Ohio....ok" I guess most people think that Ohio is boring. I'm curious to know what other people think about Ohio?
  • Rosiered2
    Rosiered2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is so funny because I am from Saint Louis, Missouri and I don't have a clue what the misconceptions are about us "St. Louisians"............I've tried and tried to think of something.......Any ideas??
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm from India...and i get tired of people amazed that i can speak English and that i didnt play with tigers and snakes while growing up and that i have an actual toilet inside my house!

and NO there is no such thing as eyeball soup in India!!!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm from the South (North Carolina), and people assume the exact same thing about me. :happy:

Same here. ;) I used to do tech support and because I had a terrible twang people often thought I was stupid. I honestly think I got passed up for jobs because of my accent. But I can fix a computer with my eyes closed and I am a good programmer also.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I am from the Southern US, but it isn't anything like Gone With The Wind or Designing Women.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm from New Jersey.
    Everyone thinks the Jersey Shore is an accurate telling of people from NJ.
    If you live in New Jersey.. chances are you are NOT going to spend your Spring/Summer in that horrible state, you go to FL to tan.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Here in Boston people think we're mean and horrible drivers.

You are horrible drivers... :wink: But hey, I live in the land of horrible drivers... we consistantly are one of the worst cities to drive in... and it would help if people were smart enough to figure out their turn signals.... but at least y'all have a better mass transit system...

By the way... if I couldn't live in Texas or in the midwest where our family is.. Boston is probably the only other place I would live... I love it there. Even if y'all do forget your "r's" sometimes... :wink:
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I'm from Ohio, Dayton to be exact. Most people either have no idea that it was a major city once or think it's a **** hole.
    Which it is. I don't understand why people here can't have NICE things. Most people think it's really dangerous. It isn't that bad.