Things people do at the gym that you hate

Options

Replies

• kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Only the cologne/perfume thing. Nothing worse than working out hard and getting a nice deep breath of chemical. And that applies to basically anywhere outside the gym. I shouldn't know when you walk in a room by your smell...that's not the point. you should only smell it when you are CLOSE to someone. And it makes a lot of people nauseated.
  • FitinFiveMonths
    Options
    Mostly women bother me at the gym, here are few examples:

Wearing inappropriate things to work out. Sorry, but that push up bra and flip flops aren't going to make the run very easy. Not to mention, girls, take off your jewelry! I can understand your wedding band or some stud earrings, but don't you feel stupid when your necklace or hoop earrings hit you in the face?! Get a sports bra and some tennis shoes and we'll talk.

The super pretty ones. You know, the ones that 'work out' with all of their make-up on, hair done up new mani-pedis, and jewelry on. Obviously trying to empress all the hot guys there, but seriously? Maybe if you broke a sweat, ran a 6 minute mile and lifted some weights, you'd get more attention than walking at 2.5 and stretching by the bubbler.

Girls taking pictures of themselves on their I pod/phone. Stop.

And girls that give me the up and down and then whisper to their friend's. Maybe I'm sweating so much because I've been running for 15 minutes or because my elliptical is on level 12. Gym is a judge free zone when it comes to fitness, as long as I'm really working, you don't have the right to give me the up and down.

Kay thats all :)

If it's a judgement free zone, then who are you to say that they are only wearing their make up and all that jazz to impress someone? My nails are always done, my make up is on like 80% of the time. I do work up a sweat, but I just feel more comfortable with my make up on. I am married and am not trying to impress anyone.

I judge people at the gym when they're not there to workout and taking up space. I mean my makeup is usually on if I come from work, but I see girls putting it on to go workout. Necessary? Not really. If your going to walk 2 miles an hour and chat to your girlfriend about how sweat is gross, just go to the mall or something. My opinion.

And I wasn't trying to 'judge', anyone. But like I said, WHEN FITNESS IS INVOLVED and someone is sweating, people shouldn't be judging. But girls are girls and give the stink eye to anyone within their age bracket. So when two girls in their twenties walk by, they usually make some pretty unnecessary eye motions and then whisper to one another. I see them do it to other women too, so it's not just me.

Again, just my opinions. Doesn't apply to everyone.
  • Eranajb
    Eranajb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hate (HATE) when people are talking on their cell phones while on the treadmill or elliptical right next to me. If it's that important go out into the lobby or locker room or something. Jesus.

Yes. Distracting.

Jesus is awesome!

Yes Jesus is awesome! and hate the cell phone thing! But really hate being stopped by a 'chatter' when in my towel on way to shower...
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Creepy old guys

15 yr old girls in skimpy shorts

People who talk too much.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Mostly women bother me at the gym, here are few examples:

Wearing inappropriate things to work out. Sorry, but that push up bra and flip flops aren't going to make the run very easy. Not to mention, girls, take off your jewelry! I can understand your wedding band or some stud earrings, but don't you feel stupid when your necklace or hoop earrings hit you in the face?! Get a sports bra and some tennis shoes and we'll talk.

The super pretty ones. You know, the ones that 'work out' with all of their make-up on, hair done up new mani-pedis, and jewelry on. Obviously trying to empress all the hot guys there, but seriously? Maybe if you broke a sweat, ran a 6 minute mile and lifted some weights, you'd get more attention than walking at 2.5 and stretching by the bubbler.

Girls taking pictures of themselves on their I pod/phone. Stop.

And girls that give me the up and down and then whisper to their friend's. Maybe I'm sweating so much because I've been running for 15 minutes or because my elliptical is on level 12. Gym is a judge free zone when it comes to fitness, as long as I'm really working, you don't have the right to give me the up and down.

Kay thats all :)

If it's a judgement free zone, then who are you to say that they are only wearing their make up and all that jazz to impress someone? My nails are always done, my make up is on like 80% of the time. I do work up a sweat, but I just feel more comfortable with my make up on. I am married and am not trying to impress anyone.

I judge people at the gym when they're not there to workout and taking up space. I mean my makeup is usually on if I come from work, but I see girls putting it on to go workout. Necessary? Not really. If your going to walk 2 miles an hour and chat to your girlfriend about how sweat is gross, just go to the mall or something. My opinion.

And I wasn't trying to 'judge', anyone. But like I said, WHEN FITNESS IS INVOLVED and someone is sweating, people shouldn't be judging. But girls are girls and give the stink eye to anyone within their age bracket. So when two girls in their twenties walk by, they usually make some pretty unnecessary eye motions and then whisper to one another. I see them do it to other women too, so it's not just me.

Again, just my opinions. Doesn't apply to everyone.

I don't specifically do my make up to work out. If I'm already wearing it on a gym day I don't wash it off. But if i'm not already wearing it, I don't put it on before I go.

Now you're making me wonder if people are judging my speed lol

The minimum I go is 2.5. It's usually 3, but it's all I can handle, I am slowly trying to build up my speed but I do the best I can. My incline is anywhere between a 4 and a 10. I can handle the incline just not the speed.
  • dol826
    dol826 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I seem to be an old man magnet at the gym. The thing that irritates me most is when these old men come over and start trying to talk to me while I"m exercising. I"m not here to socialize with you AND don't you see these headphones in my ears? And I'm not a rude person by nature so I always take my earphones out to hear what they have to say only for them to try and hit on me. I thhink at this point I'm done being nice. It happens like 50% of the time. I hate talking to people when I'm trying to work out. Lol.

Now I hate that they don't hit on me LMAO. In my 20s, every man over 50 at the gym would talk to me. Now that I am 41, the guys pushing 70 offer an occasional "good job" when I am trying not to vomit from doing too many burpees and no one hits on me, ever.

I don't really have any complaints since I mostly work out at the Y, which, in my experience, is a pretty basic, friendly place.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Now I understand that he does have a disability, but seriously... his mother takes him. She should either tell him to move away or not take him.... most of the time he stands and just stares at people (I am often his target).

You are kidding me right? You are complaining about someone that has a disability doing things that make you uncomfortable?

Newsflash hun, He felt this way his entire life. People staring at him when he went out in public and making fun of him because he did something in public that most people consider unacceptable. If it bothers you that much, then pick another damn class or get enough courage to get to know this person and politely ask him to stop doing these things. Most of the time they don't realize what they are doing is wrong or unacceptable unless you tell them... esp if they have a disability like Autism where their social skills are impaired anyway.
    (Side note, I am all for complaining about the quirks of people at the gym.. but this is just downright rude. Esp because I work with people that have a wide range of disabilities, and I deal with this crap on a daily basis.)

I have also worked with people with disabilites. I have nothing, i repeat nothing, against people with disabilites ( I was raised in a home with therapeutic foster children) I was not at all trying to be rude, but it is very awkward to have someone thrusting their junk at you, and to know that his mom is two rows back and doesnt have the couteousy to say something bothers me. You completely misunderstood me and what I am complaining about... it has nothing to do with disability.
    More to add: Do you think that since I should leave the class, that it is acceptable for him to be doing that stuff during a Zumba class? I am really curious what you think about this. IMO it is socially unnaceptable, regardless who it is. Do I get that he may not have understood this (when it first happened), yes but at the same time... many classes later it is still happening? You meantion that he has probably been picked on... did I ever say I said anything rude to him? No, and I never would because I don't set out to hurt others. I am just wondering what crap you deal with on a daily basis, and how is it rude that his gestures make me uncomfortable? How does that make me a terrible person? Please... enlighten me

Heres the thing.. Have you ever said anything? From your first post and this one, it looks like No you haven't.. You're waiting for the mom to say something.. and sometimes, that doesn't always happen. You can clearly voice your concerns on here, so why can't you do it to his face?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I work out at home now, but I remember one time that I quit working out at a particular gym because a personal trainer came up to me 3 times in one week, each time I had my headphones on and was usually at a full sprint on the treadmill, to try to talk to me about training with him, and I don't think he realized I was the same person he was harassing each time because I saw him do it to several other people each time I was there. I was so angry I couldn't finish my workouts because he had totally killed my flow, and I ended up complaining.

Another thing I have had before is when guys come up to try to "help" me with the free weights. I love free weights and am very comfortable using them and have been for quite a long while. I know how to used good form, too. I had a particular guy at another gym try to do that several times, and I don't mind a few pointers here and there, but not when you are correcting my good form with something that is really just a matter of preference, like breathing on reps or how bent my elbow "needed" to be on chest flyes (he insisted they needed to be almost straight) and not when you are a chunky monkey with no definition to speak of and yet I see you in there every morning grunting and walking around like your arms are too big to hang normally. He would signal to me while I had my headphones on and finally I just gave him the dirtiest of looks and he quit trying to tell me what to do.
  • MaileNeiner
    Options
    Gross!
  • MaileNeiner
    Options
    Amen sista! I hate that also!! :wink:
  • MaileNeiner
    Options
    Thumbs up! BUFFER ZONE!!!:wink:
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Big one- one woman who insists on changing next to the scale and steam room. There is an entire HUGE changing area that she could use, but she insists on using the small area between the scale and steam room-and blocking both. Irritating. Last week I actually asked her to move. She looked at me like I had three heads. FYI- when we work out we are the only two in the entire locker room.

Small one- when people talk to each other while I'm trying to read my book while cycling. I know, there's no reason they shouldn't and kudos for them for being friends but it irks me 'cause I can't easily read and hear them at the same time. This one's my own little issue though. Sigh.
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    When youre in the middle of two people that know each other and are having a conversation.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I'm in one of the fitness classes (Turbo Kickboxing or Zumba, for example) and there is someone with insane gas just blowing the place up for the entire hour! :noway: I get letting one fart go. Fine, you are forgiven. But if you need to fart more than once in that hour, you should have gone to the bathroom before you left the house! :laugh: Or lay off the broccoli. Just saying...
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people show up at the gym. I would much rather be the only person in the place. I can't say other people in there actually motivate more. More the opposite.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Weave left in the shower....spitting up a hocker in the water fountain.....or simply talking too much. We're there to workout! Hush!!!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    when ppl just stand there, looking at everything thing you do.. Im like, hey, I HATE having a bodyguard, MOVE!
  • luviedovie
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_yc6AKXLI

For those of you that don't know about Jenna Marbles... She's a genius!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    There's a long row of treadmills and ellipticals all not in use...but the tall guy has to get on the one between me and the Tv. I'm trying to watch the news while I'm working....but now all I can see is the back of this dude's head.arghhh.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    Boy am I glad we have a gym at our firehouse and I don't have to join a public gym! Most of the time I am alone while I work out!! :)