What do you think is the biggest misconception about where y

Options

Replies

• allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of actual people from NJ.. Born and bred here and have never gone tanning (the sun is free!), worn my hair in one of those poodle-looking poofs, or anything else stereotypical that those you-know-whats on tv do..
  • joeynyi
    joeynyi Posts: 6
    Options
    Reactions I get when I tell people I am from Malaysia.

"Where?"

"Oh. That's where Bangkok is in right?"

"OH in SINGAPORE!"

"Wait, above Singapore is Thailand, right? So where is Malaysia?"

"Do you guys live in trees?"

"And you speak English?"

When I tell people I am Chinese too:

"But you're not from China!"

LOL :D
  • navy1984
    navy1984 Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi I live in Washington state, no NOT seattle, NO it doesn't rain all the time, I actually live in the desert. Yup the desert. Washington is not just seattle!!
    :smile:
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm from Toronto, Canada, but for the past 6 months I've been living in Switzerland with my Swiss husband. Most of the time, when I tell people I'm from Canada, they get a far-off look and say "ooooooh"- like they forgot Canada existed.

First off, everyone assumes that I'm an avid skiier, since Canada is "full of mountains". When I tell people the first time I saw a "real" mountain (besides some of the Adirondaks) was when I flew into Zurich for the first time, they get confused. Canada is a BIG country, and growing up, it was as expensive for me to go to British Columbia as it is for me to go to Europe, so my family would travel to Florida or French Canada instead. Second, a lot of Swiss people go to Canada to learn English, but they all go to Vancouver because for some reason everyone here thinks Toronto is French-speaking! There are SO many more, but these are the big ones. It's been fun reading everyone else's misconceptions!
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I'm from the north shore of Long Island, NY...everyone assumes that we are rich, snobby, and live in huge houses. Also it's NY so apparently we also ALL work in Manhattan, are rude, and drive too fast/aggressively. :)
  • Melalina
    Melalina Posts: 26
    Options
    7061334016190614897.jpg

I think this covers pretty much all of the united states. LMAO :laughing:

I live in Kentucky which is kkk country which if true if you live in some of the more rural parts.

I was born on Dallas Texas and yes everything is better in Texas. :)

I was born and raised in Denver, CO, and currently live in Raleigh, NC. This map is the most accurate representation of the misconceptions about both my home states! :) Everyone believes that Denverites live in cold, snowy mountain caves 11 months out of the year and that everyone knows how to ski and rock climb. Denver is near the mountains, not IN the mountains, and receives 350 days of bright sunshine every year. Denver is technically semi-arid desert and is VERY dry; there were only three or four big snows this year. I don't know how to ski or rock climb. The only time a stereotype of Colorado is accurate is when someone says, "Oh, it's so beautiful there!" Yes, yes it is.
  • sopriti1
    sopriti1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Being from Alabama, people that aren't from southern states think we are cousin marrying, cotton picking, bare-foot, watermelon eating, toothless, overall wearing idiots that. I think that when others learn of the things that happened in the south, they are still learning from the slavery to segregation(KKK) era. I have a sister that lives in PA that asked me if we have paved roads in Alabama....I replied in the most southern accent that I could muster up "Yerp, and we's got indoor plummin' too!"

So this map that is posted is pretty much correct!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm from India...and i get tired of people amazed that i can speak English and that i didnt play with tigers and snakes while growing up and that i have an actual toilet inside my house!

and NO there is no such thing as eyeball soup in India!!!

That's funny because you were under Britain & I always thought you guys are the largest English speaking population (not US). I met many Indians who speak fluent English & some who don't are still way better than I am (I'm by no means a good English speaker. yes I can write some thanks google translate hehehehe, but to speak no).
    Options
    So your dad & brothers must be into boxing. Err no, LOL
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    Im from Guam. NOBODY knows where it is! LMAO. They think its some uncivilized island and people think we still wear grass skirts and coconut bras. PuhLEEASE!
    Options
    People presume I live in an igloo and am essentially American.

Neither is true.

Canadians are not Americans.
    Despite living in the 'extreme north', I have never even seen an igloo.

Well, technically you live in North America, so you are American. :wink:

PSSSSHHHT. Technicalities... Why on earth did you have to be the United States of America! Way to make the entire continent yours anyway. :P

Don't forget that Mexico is IN North America and so Mexico, Central & South America are technically called AMERICANS, not Mexican-American, not Honduran-American or Brazilian-American or worse Hispanic/Latino Americans. We call people in the US as Estadosunidenses & not Americanos. Stop claiming the two Americas as yours OK. It would be like calling a Chinese a Chinese-Asian or a Spaniard a Spanish-European or a Russian as Russian-European, that's absolutely ridiculous.
  • lucretia86
    lucretia86 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Haha well where I am from it would be that we are all poor and unemployed etc which couldn't be further from the truth really my street is lovely with lots of nice big houses :) Oh and that we all talk with funny accents. Granted, most do. But not my family ;-)

Edited to say I live in the black country, just outside of Birmingham UK :)
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Being mexican...

People think I live in a desert, I wear a sombrero and Im always seated under a sahuaro´s shadow
    People think all mexicans are dark skinned (which im not at all, im even whiter than my bf, and he is white/american/caucasian... Last time I went to the caribbean, people asked me if I was british, due to my white legs LOL)
    People think we all are either a hooker or a drug dealer.. This REALLY get on my nerves!!! , like if the rest of the countries were hookers/drug dealers free!
    They think its always sunny and hot as hell... Well not really, we get snow, hail and rain as well. Mexico its not just a huge desert.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    From ENgland so out side of here it is assumed that we have bad teeth, lots of old buildings (true) lots of rain (also true) and that we all speak like the queen! Within England, as we live in the north, there is an assumption by those down south that we all wear flat caps, keep pigeons and eat pie and chips for tea. These beliefs are held by people who only live a few hours away by car!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Don't forget that Mexico is IN North America and so Mexico, Central & South America are technically called AMERICANS, not Mexican-American, not Honduran-American or Brazilian-American or worse Hispanic/Latino Americans. We call people in the US as Estadosunidenses & not Americanos. Stop claiming the two Americas as yours OK. It would be like calling a Chinese a Chinese-Asian or a Spaniard a Spanish-European or a Russian as Russian-European, that's absolutely ridiculous.
    [/quote]

THIS!!!.. ive always said the same.. Mexico, and even Argentina, Chile and Brazil are part of America. Mexico is even in north America. Get on my nerves when somebody says ´America´ refering to USA... America is a continent, not a country.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm from Oregon and I'm surpised at how many ppl don't know where that even is! LOL
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It baffles me how many people do actually believe that, um, French women don't shave. All French people smoke, the French hate Americans, and French women don't get fat.

Being a previously fat French young woman, who isn't a racist, has been shaving since 8th grade of grammar school, has never smoked; I call BS on all these. :)
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What is the biggest misconception about where you are from?

Being born and raised an Okie, a lot of people outside of here assume I am some ignorant, bible thumpin, gun tote'n, red neck and I just can't undersand where that comes from as I have never thumped a bible in my life. :bigsmile:

However, I don't worry about it because once most people come here they learn we are some of the nicest people around. Oh, and they also learn we don't all own horses and wear cowboy boots and hats.

Don't worry. Everyone thinks the same thing about Alabama!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i am from new york city, and i had this conversation once

friend from out of the country- "aren't you afraid, living in new york city?"

me- "afraid of what?"

friend- "of being mugged... and all the school shootings."

me- "what, no!! never!!"

friend- "man, i wouldn't want to live there."

me- "well, its because you don't have a gun."

friend- "no, of course not... wait, you have a gun?"

me- "of course, i live in new york city!"

friend- "why do you have a gun??!!?!?!?"

me- "well, if someone tries to shoot me, i have to try and shoot them back."
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have to say that someone who has posted in this thread had (not jokingly either) stated that Samantha Brick was 'very attractive for a woman...she has white teeth to start with...huge plus' because 'think about it....she's british'
    We must all be ugly and have bad teeth. Austin powers did us no favours. We do have orthodontists here and sometimes i even brush my teeth but only before i walk the Queens corgis for her before we have tea and crumpets on the lawn.

People do have odd misconceptions...a lot of people i know (in not so sunny Yorkshire) just say 'Oh, i hate americans' as if it is possible to have met every single one and dislike them all. The mind boggles. Over here, we also think all you Americans are fat and shoot each other on a daily basis. Of course, noone is fat in England...:wink:

Anyone for a game of croquet?