Eggs - Why do people not eat the yolk?

Options

Replies

• Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I usually do one egg and then the rest egg whites mainly because its lower in calories that way.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I only eat the yolk of boiled and fried eggs, I hate egg whites. Though I'll happily have them mixed up in an omelette of cake. Takes all sorts :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Mother Nature cries when you throw out the yolk
  • triplejay1
    triplejay1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love the yolk of the egg, and im not a wasteful person so i buy the (allwhites) where they have already seperated it. I do that so i can add 1 real egg, plus like 5 or 6 eggs-worth of whites and still stay low on calories when i make an omlet. Its more filling that way and i can eat more.
  • jkaupanger
    Options
    not a huge egg person here, but I can't stand just whites! and if I do just whites (only when the BF is cooking) we give the dogs a yoke each - which is really good for their coats, so nothing gets trashed.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It's 70 calories for an egg people -- not 200. Eggs are super nutritious AND they fill you up and keep you full. What else can you ask for? I eat 2 to 3 every single day.

agreed!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Because fat is kryptonite to an MFP member
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    So, I've incorporated boiled eggs in my breakfast for quite some time now, but notice that a lot of people throw away the yolk and only eat the egg white. Cholestorol issues perhaps? Whats are the pros vs cons of eating the yolk?

Silliness and conventional, old time thinking.

The cholesterol in foods has little or nothing to do with the food we eat.

Eat the yolks. They are packed with vital fatty acids that are essential to brain and other bodily functions. DHA and Omega 3 fatty acids.

The best eggs are ones that are NOT fed grains or vegetarian diets. Chickens are NOT vegetarians. They eat bugs and whatever else they hunt and peck on the ground. Source some local, farm raised eggs that scratch around the yard.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole eggs. What is with this "oh too many calories" crap about the yolk? Just eat the egg, you need the energy.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options

AMEN!

I bought egg whites... and then decided to go with regular eggs because I found myself needing more calories anyways... plus my "good cholesterol" is a little low and they told me eggs was a great way to get it up... (I also joked that I should order guacamole with my margaritas and the nurse said yes)... so it's a win win.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard (what is the female equivalent of broscience? ) it consuming too much fat that raises colesterol, not consuming the colesterol in eggs. Thus, the yolks can be consumed conservatively and safely. You people who eat 6 eggs a day, I can see why you remove some or all of the yolks. If you are eating one or two, I don't see a problem. I eat an egg each morning in that microwave blueberrry muffin concoction. It doesn't mess up my macros a bit.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Generally people will complain that the whole egg has too many calories, and at around 70 cals, it's probably the best food a person could eat as far as nutrition is concerned. The cholesterol excuse is based on the hypothesis that cholesterol causes heart disease and why the RDA in the USA restricts consumption, thankfully Canada see's it differently (actually reads current studies) and has no restriction on cholesterol. When you consider that the body has about 35000 mg's of curlculating cholesterol that that 200 or whatever mg's of consumed cholesterol is going to cause heart disease, kinda dumb. Other than genetics, livestyle is what inflences lipoprotein (VLDL, LDL. IDL, HDL) production in the liver the most.

I didn't think they were high in calories at all, eating 1 or 2 eggs in the morning with a piece of toast last me a lot longer than a bowl of cereal. I will say I don't like boiled egg yolks, too dry. I like mine poached or scrambled.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options

LOL Good one! I agree. I was just getting after my wife for throwing out the yolk of hard boiled eggs when she eats them. I told her that is where all the nutrients are. Completely wasteful, throwing out the yolk.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I only eat the yolk of boiled and fried eggs, I hate egg whites. Though I'll happily have them mixed up in an omelette of cake. Takes all sorts :laugh:
    OMG Berry... we're egg twins!! :laugh:

When I hear about egg-white-only omelettes I physically gag! Egg whites are only good for making soufflé or meringues.

I usually have 2 eggs per portion and love speciality hen's eggs or duck eggs best as their yolks are so creamy and rich :tongue:

I love eggs poached/coddled, scrambled, omelettes and of course egg-mayo sandwiches :tongue: :tongue:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It's 70 calories for an egg people -- not 200. Eggs are super nutritious AND they fill you up and keep you full. What else can you ask for? I eat 2 to 3 every single day.

Agreed - though being an oatmeal person I don't eat as many as you!!!

Personally, I end up with too many whites; every few months I make ice cream, which requires 4-8 yolks. So I mix the whites into scrambled eggs or make meringue cookies.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options

^^^^ YES!!!

This is what drives me crazy because YES eggs are only 70 calories each NOT 200!!! People have eggs put in the database as 200 cals each. As for the fat - its a healthier fat than if you were eating a carton of ice cream. It is a natural occurring fat - like the natural occurring fat in butter.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The yolk is the healthiest part of the egg.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i love the yolk..my favorite part..my husband hates it, so sometimes if i eat a couple eggs, i give him some of my whites
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    I eat a whole egg everyday. My cholesterol is far below the normal range.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options

LOVE THIS!!!!!!

I just finished my hard boiled egg....I love eggs.....I sometimes buy egg whites but if I am using my eggs I eat it all...

Again everything in moderation! The fat from eggs.....more of a good fat and your body does need fat....I would rather get my fat from eggs then cake!