CrossFit

Options
123457»

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I HATE to see women getting involved with Crossfit!

They tear up their hands and scrape their legs and get strained and pulled muscles and all sorts of other unnecessary injuries.

I think strength training is great for women when done in moderation. But the kind of extremely heavy lifting that's expected with Crossfit can do more damage than good -- ESPECIALLY to women, who are not built like men are.

You did not seriously just say this...

Wanna see my ripped hands? I've got pics. Did it a couple times, realized how to maintain my calluses which I WORK VERY HARD TO EARN and now I don't rip. Wanna see my scraped legs? It's because I went for a box that was higher than my normal box jump, missed it on the first one, got back up and got it on the second try. "If there is no struggle, there is no progress."

Why do I have to be a delicate, fragile female without callused hands and a few scrapes from pushing my body to perform? And please, please, please explain to me why I can't train like a guy would?

And all of your "unnecessary injuries" you talk about... I had all of those when I was playing sports in high school and college, they're not specific to CrossFit. Did that keep me from playing volleyball and basketball, no. *kitten* happens, get over it.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide whether I should do P90x or Crossfit

try a crossfit class. many boxes have a free trial class once a week.
  • kaylammurphy
    Options
    I love doing xfit! It makes me feel stronger, I can do things that months ago (heck, even weeks ago) I was unable to do. I love that I can modify, scale, or otherwise alter *any* workout to my level and I am constantly inspired by my own strength and achievements. If you worried it will be too hard, see if a box has an intro class--many do. Coaches are also pretty happy to help you learn if you are just jumping in or if they don't offer any intro classes.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Nopedotjpeg....

Have you done Crossfit...nothing in your posts implies that you have so I was just wondering.
    We all know that Health Gal is an absolute tool -yes mods I said it and its true!
    However I was wondering what your opinions are based on Nopedotjpeg...did you at least try crossfit or some of the WOD's? ...please dont let your opinions be formed on articles.....yes some of the lifts they do have been around for a while....but they dont claim to have invented them..kinda hard to claim that when you have world renowned strength coaches coming in and teaching seminars for them on powerlifting, then they bring in coaches to teach running technique...
    Anyone can go online and get a degree as a personal trainere for probably cheaper than $1000....am sure crossfit is the same excet for the online part....but a bad coach is a bad coach no matter wha tthey teach or how they got their degree...you cant shoot down an entire program over that becasue every workplace has a few bad apples ...look around your office or wherever you work...there are idiots near by....even in these forums oddly enough....
    I have and still do Crossfit exercises...since doing so my body has changed dramatically and I was in really great shape before I started...I do them at work, no trainers....just printed out the list of WOD's to include the Hero ones (prior military, PD and now current FD) so am partial to those...what I noticed was not only did I get stronger but I developed phenomenal muscle endurance... Before doing crossfit I would do my heavy lifts and be done...absolutely worn out...now I can run 3-4 miles and then do the same heavy llifts and run another mile after....what did I do different? I incorporated Crossfit WOD's and modified Crossfit exercises .....but its not just me...its the rest of the guys here at the FD....they all benefit from it and it has increased their endurance on a fire scene..meaning they can work longer without using as much air on a bottle...
    injuries....I was down for a week after moving an ez bar curl bar from one rung to to another...guess what...as we get older..our bodies arent as forgiving and we get tweaks and injuries...its ineveitable...no matter what program your doing.....you could do 500 pushups everyday for six months, then one morning you go to do em and you pull something...its just gonna happen...
    So any exercise program no matter waht the name or intensity is either suited for you or it isnt....but if you never tried it then how can you have an opinion....I have never once nor will I ever tell anyone to do or not to do Crossfit....thats their choice.....but at least I can tell them what it did for me based on real experience and not becasue someone wrote an article that it might be bad...

Saying you can't have an opinion on something because you've never done it is a bunch of bunk really. No I haven't done Crossfit.

We seem to agree with my main point being that good coaches is what makes or breaks this program. You're right that a schmuck trainer is a schmuck trainer, but a Crossfit schmuck trainer is expected to teach a lot more technical lifts than the run of the mill schmuck trainer you'd find at a gym. Hence, if Crossfit wants to believe it has the best answer to improve all areas of fitness, then it needs to have higher standards for its coaches.

you can have an opinion, but its not yours because you never did it yourself...you use someone elses thoughts and not your own so its not really ever your opinion...
    If youve never been coached by them..how do you know they dont have higher standards....
    Youre no different than Healthgal right now because you havent done it but choose to argue against it...I havent done Zumba and I am not gonna go around telling everyone not to do it because I read its hard...or the instrcutors dont pay much to be an instructor...

Because I've seen many videos of people lifting with ****ty form under the watchful eye of a "coach." First-hand knowledge is not the only type that matters. Please stop trying to shoot down someone who has an opinion different than your for the simple fact that they find information in a way other than paying $100+ to get it.

Also, if you want to say first-hand knowledge is the only kind that matters, then how do you know that every other Crossfit box has similar coaches to yours?

Most of us who do Crossfit do say that it is different from box to box from coach to coach...

People come here to find out about it - asking if people have done it to get a FIRST HAND account of what Crossfit is about...I am sure they can google and watch the same crappy videos over and over - many of which show Crossfit to the EXTREME...or show a higher level WOD (yes there are different levels....imagine that....and guess what not all involve jumping on boxs (I have never done that) or double unders (also something I have never done) or handstand pushups (yet another thing I have never done...although I have worked on the fundamentals of attempting to get myself into a handstand - that's not going to well...but I try)

Those of us who are defensive of people who have never done Crossfit is because of the GENERALIZATIONS...

There is a difference...

There are people on the threads who have come on and said - I did crossfit for awhile but I didn't like it and here are my reasons...NO ONE SHUTS THEM DOWN, because they are giving a valid reasoning because they have partaken of the activity...

I really haven't seen any threads where someone has done Crossfit and didn't like it because of things people who have never done it point out (because they got hurt - they had to go to the ER, they ripped thier hands open)...most of the people I have seen that have written on threads who say they tried but didn't like like point out the expensive (which no one is arguing it is expensive - Crossfit is not usually a BIG box type environment...it is usually small 1 or 2 owner businesses who specialize in a niche market, ergo usually more expensive) or felt they didn't like the workout (hey not everyone likes it...I dont' like running) or they didn't like the coaches (I don't think anyone will disagree you can have good or bad coaches in anything you do)

And pointing out that you can go to the YMCA (i'm talking about healthgal here) and pay less and get more...hey you know what - depends on the YMCA...they just built one down the road - for me to go would be $10 less a month than what I pay for Crossfit and they don't have a trainer on staff...they have hired teenagers and some 60 year olds to patrol the gym floor...oh they do have an instructor for Zumba...but if I want to work the wall of free weights they have I'm on my own....I choose to stick with Crossfit...

To each their own
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Most of us who do Crossfit do say that it is different from box to box from coach to coach...

People come here to find out about it - asking if people have done it to get a FIRST HAND account of what Crossfit is about...I am sure they can google and watch the same crappy videos over and over - many of which show Crossfit to the EXTREME...or show a higher level WOD (yes there are different levels....imagine that....and guess what not all involve jumping on boxs (I have never done that) or double unders (also something I have never done) or handstand pushups (yet another thing I have never done...although I have worked on the fundamentals of attempting to get myself into a handstand - that's not going to well...but I try)

Those of us who are defensive of people who have never done Crossfit is because of the GENERALIZATIONS...

There is a difference...

There are people on the threads who have come on and said - I did crossfit for awhile but I didn't like it and here are my reasons...NO ONE SHUTS THEM DOWN, because they are giving a valid reasoning because they have partaken of the activity...

I really haven't seen any threads where someone has done Crossfit and didn't like it because of things people who have never done it point out (because they got hurt - they had to go to the ER, they ripped thier hands open)...most of the people I have seen that have written on threads who say they tried but didn't like like point out the expensive (which no one is arguing it is expensive - Crossfit is not usually a BIG box type environment...it is usually small 1 or 2 owner businesses who specialize in a niche market, ergo usually more expensive) or felt they didn't like the workout (hey not everyone likes it...I dont' like running) or they didn't like the coaches (I don't think anyone will disagree you can have good or bad coaches in anything you do)

And pointing out that you can go to the YMCA (i'm talking about healthgal here) and pay less and get more...hey you know what - depends on the YMCA...they just built one down the road - for me to go would be $10 less a month than what I pay for Crossfit and they don't have a trainer on staff...they have hired teenagers and some 60 year olds to patrol the gym floor...oh they do have an instructor for Zumba...but if I want to work the wall of free weights they have I'm on my own....I choose to stick with Crossfit...

To each their own

To start, I've never done crossfit as I don't have the time for it with my other obligations. Based on what I've seen of it I think it's a very interesting concept that has fantastic potential if done correctly. Nopedotjpeg, at least in my opinion, raised to valid points though. I would appreciate the reaction from folks who have done it:

How do you respond to the claim of a lack of regimented progression/periodization?

How do you respond to the added dangers over more standard PT programs due to more technical exercises in CrossFit?

Obviously both of those issues would be covered with proper coaching, but how important of a concern do you think it should be for a new person trying to find a good box?

This isn't an attack on CrossFit, please don't take it as such. I engage in a decent amount of higher-danger (rugby, karate, and fire knife dancing right now) activities and understand how frustrating misinformation on the danger levels can be.
  • twinmom01
    Options

There is a difference...

To each their own

To start, I've never done crossfit as I don't have the time for it with my other obligations. Based on what I've seen of it I think it's a very interesting concept that has fantastic potential if done correctly. Nopedotjpeg, at least in my opinion, raised to valid points though. I would appreciate the reaction from folks who have done it:

[/quote]

How do you respond to the claim of a lack of regimented progression/periodization?
    [/quote]

Can't speak for other boxes - I know most of the ones in my areas have different levels - usually a Level 1 and a Level 2 - Level 1 are for beginners - it is a way to learn moves and slowly move weight up or to learn the fundmentals of other things utilized in workouts - some days we do lifts and spend the rest of the time working on things like the fundamentals of a handstand...to move towards doing a handstand and untimately handstand push ups...or working on ring exercises to work towards having better control. At my box you have to test up to be able to take Level 2 classes - you have to show you know the fundmentals of all the lifts and you have the ability to do things like unaided pull-ups, plank pushups, etc...Some people will never make it to Level 2 classes. Everything you do is a progression....it is strength training....

[/quote]
    How do you respond to the added dangers over more standard PT programs due to more technical exercises in CrossFit?
    [/quote]

I don't see how they differ really all that much from other PT programs. I did a boot camp for awhile - lots of body weight exercises - squats, lunges, burpees, with some HIIT cardio thrown in...technical is form...having someone show you the correct form and then watch you as you do a rep and critique you. I certainly understand what the correct form is - getting my body into it is a whole different matter. To me I could go to my local Golds Gym and attempt the EXACT same things I do at Crossfit (and have watched many a burly man and a few women do some of the same lifts I do at my crossfit - although I could do the same thing at Golds I wouldn't have someone there to encourage me and since I dont' have the ability to drop the weights I would be more scared about even attempting a higher weight as I progressed for fear I would drop it and get a huge admonishment from managment )

[/quote]

Obviously both of those issues would be covered with proper coaching, but how important of a concern do you think it should be for a new person trying to find a good box?
    [/quote]

Absolute Paramount to find a good box - like many of us have said it differs from box to box - even within a box you can have a bad apple of a coach....I know my box makes up their own WODs for the most part and will occassionally use a Standard Crossfit WOD (usually one of the Ladies ) Other ones will take directly from the main Crossfit site and use that. Others have classes with 20 people in them at one time - others limit it to 4-6 people...I encourage people to go and give it a try as most boxes will have a free trial class...the good ones will let you know if they think you can handle it or not...my friend (who was coming out of a back injury) took a free class at my box and the outcome was the coach felt he needed to do something else for a bit and then come back once he had built up some strength in his back

[/quote]

This isn't an attack on CrossFit, please don't take it as such. I engage in a decent amount of higher-danger (rugby, karate, and fire knife dancing right now) activities and understand how frustrating misinformation on the danger levels can be.
    [/quote]

I don't see THIS as an attack...what I take as an ATTACK are people who throw out generalizations based on a article or two they have read or seen a video or two of one of the more extreme Crossfit routines...and extrapolate oh I saw these videos and every cross fit must be like that...

It really isn't for everyone...when I started I thought I was crazy - I actually started because my box had a Groupon - so i got the chance to really try out a bunch of classes (15) for cheap ($30) to really make up my mind...before delving further...I have progressed slowly and I am fine with it - I honestly don't think i will ever be able to do a headstand and I am fine with that...so is my coach to an extent - as long as I try that is all he wants...as he says "I can coach, I can explain but I can't do it for you...that part is all on you...do or don't do you are paying me either way"
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Thanks for your response twinmom01.

One last question,

You mentioned having a level 1 and a level 2 class. Do they do anything to make sure you're not overusing certain muscles (i.e. if you go on Tuesday and do a ton of squat work, not having you do it again on Wednesday)? The karate dojo I go to has a rudimentary plan so that the focus that week on one day won't be the same on other classes that week, but beyond that there aren't many constraints for overuse. The workouts there are all bodyweight though, so I think of them as having a bit more leeway in that regard.
  • kaylammurphy
    Options

One last question,

You mentioned having a level 1 and a level 2 class. Do they do anything to make sure you're not overusing certain muscles (i.e. if you go on Tuesday and do a ton of squat work, not having you do it again on Wednesday)? The karate dojo I go to has a rudimentary plan so that the focus that week on one day won't be the same on other classes that week, but beyond that there aren't many constraints for overuse. The workouts there are all bodyweight though, so I think of them as having a bit more leeway in that regard.

One of the main tenants of CrossFit is that repetition is the enemy. This week at my box we have done knees-to-elbows, overhead walking lunges, GHDs, burpees, running, stict pull-ups, and strict presses, among others. Take a look at my boxes website steamboatcrossfit.com. Our workouts are up since february. Of course, there are some days that do have repeats, but generally the workouts end up recruiting different muscle groups, too. :)
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    For rtalencar 85
    I would like to apologize for being an *kitten* and getting defensive about this subject...
    I also have a background in martial arts mainly TKD and Jiujitsu ..lots of repetition in movement in both.
    If you look at the Crossfit website thye post a WOD for everyone.
    And if you go to Crossfit forums, under WOD you can print out an 19 page list of all kinds of Crossfit workouts to give you an idea of what they are like. Alot of the exercises are bodyweight only.

one of my favorites to do when i am short on time is called Cindy
    5 pullups
    10 pushups
    15 squats
    and I throw in 20 crunches

for as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.

So based on your level you set the pace for however many rounds you can do in 20 minutes
    We do a hero workout called Murph tribute
    run 1 mile
    50 pullups
    100 pushups
    200 squats
    run 1 mile
    50 pullups
    100 pushups
    200 squats
    run 1 mile

its for time so once again your going as hard as you push yourself...

to me its about the cahllenge...the number of reps look scary but when you finish you feel like you conquered the world...and thats what matters...that knuckle bump at the hend from everyone congratulating each other for finishing, or the ones who have finished supporting those still working providing motivation...

So once again I apologize for being an *kitten* to you...just one of the things I am passionate about
  • mtread13
    mtread13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think that HealthGal must actually be a paid member of the Cross Fit organization. Reading this debate has me (who wasn't previously familiar with Cross Fit at all) ready to sign up.

Given that most of us aren't forced to push themselves for survival, these types of more extreme fitness (if taught/observed by a truly qualified instructor) programs are very attractive. It's frustrating to think of the amount of time often put into a fitness routine that doesn't yield the results - oftentimes that's because we aren't motivated or forced byond our comfort zone. If I'm going to spend X hours working on fitness, I want it to pay off with improved strength, improved versatility, improved flexibitiy, improved stamina, improved energy, improved health, and maybe a hope for some improvement in the way I look (that's not as important as the others). To spend X time working out and only get marginally better at the thing I was doing, that doesn't seem worth the investment and I think often leads to burnout and boredom. If one watches Biggest Loser, one can see that MOST of the obese and morbidly obese participants received huge benefits from being training like elite athletes even though they don't have the skillls/experience to perform at an elite level in a given sport. If Cross Fit and other programs with the foundational assumption of pushing people beyond comfort and in ways they would never dream of on their own can give us some level of that, sign me up!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I understand HealthGal's concerns, which most of hers are mine (which is why I don't do Crossfit). There are too many factors combined that will keep me from doing Crossfit, namely the lack of training by their trainers. Also, their training of their trainers on how to use improper form. I posted an article on the bottom of page 1 where someone went to get a Crossfit certification. They spent an hour on how to properly perform a squat, but then turned around and said using proper form is too slow and shouldn't be done. Its stuff like that which makes me shy away from the Crossfit brand.

Does it work? Yes, but there are serious concerns and legitimate dangers associated with the workouts. There are many Crossfit-type programs out there, which have better research and reasoning behind them, who also have more credible instructors and trainers. It is important to do as much research as possible before undertaking any fitness program, especially Crossfit. There are several neutral articles written about the pros and cons of crossfit, so do your research. There are a ton of videos showing absolutely horrible form of people using more weight than they should, and being congratulated. There are also a ton of videos showing feats of fitness that few achieve.

I won't do it, but I won't bash you if you're willing to.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    HOSED49: No blood no foul, and I can definitely relate to that endless search for the next big physical challenge and the feeling of accomplishment once its overcome. =)

thefuzz1290: Could you list a few of the crossfit-type programs that you're thinking of? I'm curious about what Crossfit's competition is. (Full disclosure: I look a these things among other reasons to support the dojo I attend. I've gone through P90X, Insanity, and more to find workouts and stuff that we can do in our conditioning classes)
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    For rtalencar 85
    I would like to apologize for being an *kitten* and getting defensive about this subject...
    I also have a background in martial arts mainly TKD and Jiujitsu ..lots of repetition in movement in both.
    If you look at the Crossfit website thye post a WOD for everyone.
    And if you go to Crossfit forums, under WOD you can print out an 19 page list of all kinds of Crossfit workouts to give you an idea of what they are like. Alot of the exercises are bodyweight only.

one of my favorites to do when i am short on time is called Cindy
    5 pullups
    10 pushups
    15 squats
    and I throw in 20 crunches

for as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.

So based on your level you set the pace for however many rounds you can do in 20 minutes
    We do a hero workout called Murph tribute
    run 1 mile
    50 pullups
    100 pushups
    200 squats
    run 1 mile
    50 pullups
    100 pushups
    200 squats
    run 1 mile

its for time so once again your going as hard as you push yourself...

to me its about the cahllenge...the number of reps look scary but when you finish you feel like you conquered the world...and thats what matters...that knuckle bump at the hend from everyone congratulating each other for finishing, or the ones who have finished supporting those still working providing motivation...

So once again I apologize for being an *kitten* to you...just one of the things I am passionate about

i love cindy....and Fran...and pukies.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i wish all these people who are so cynical of what COULD HAPPEN or what the trainers COULD BE LIKE would just GO TO A CLASS and actually try it. Its usually free one day of the week and on that day they do a basic work out that has simple movements that everyone can do and have fun with. If you dont like it then great, but i bet most people will really enjoy the work out and support system.
  • mtread13
    mtread13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    From what I can see, you are raising specific concerns about lack of form/training quality from observation. HealthGal is arguing against the concept and only when pushed then jumps to someone else's more rational/pertinent argument. She seems to be almost preaching and has lost objectivity (almost as if threatened by the results/enthusiasm of others) while you are pointing out specific concerns. Very different, IMO.
    I understand HealthGal's concerns, which most of hers are mine (which is why I don't do Crossfit). There are too many factors combined that will keep me from doing Crossfit, namely the lack of training by their trainers. Also, their training of their trainers on how to use improper form. I posted an article on the bottom of page 1 where someone went to get a Crossfit certification. They spent an hour on how to properly perform a squat, but then turned around and said using proper form is too slow and shouldn't be done. Its stuff like that which makes me shy away from the Crossfit brand.

Does it work? Yes, but there are serious concerns and legitimate dangers associated with the workouts. There are many Crossfit-type programs out there, which have better research and reasoning behind them, who also have more credible instructors and trainers. It is important to do as much research as possible before undertaking any fitness program, especially Crossfit. There are several neutral articles written about the pros and cons of crossfit, so do your research. There are a ton of videos showing absolutely horrible form of people using more weight than they should, and being congratulated. There are also a ton of videos showing feats of fitness that few achieve.

I won't do it, but I won't bash you if you're willing to.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    i wish all these people who are so cynical of what COULD HAPPEN or what the trainers COULD BE LIKE would just GO TO A CLASS and actually try it. Its usually free one day of the week and on that day they do a basic work out that has simple movements that everyone can do and have fun with. If you dont like it then great, but i bet most people will really enjoy the work out and support system.

I only think one person on this thread is acting the way you're describing, and she hasn't responded in a while.
  • twinmom01
    Options

One last question,

They spread it out during the week - so you aren't doing the same things day after day...BUT some people do 5 classes a week - I do 2-3 depending on the week...so if I go Monday and do a WOD....and then go Friday - there may be the same lift. My box realize that some people come in 5 mornings a week...and others 1-2 times a week...

Monday I did Split Jerks and Push Presses - my WOD tonight will be Front Squats 3 3 3 3 3 and 7 pull-ups/run 125M - as many reps as possible in 12 minutes - and well since i suck at pullups and running hey if I get 4 rounds in I will consider it a success - for me it is all about moving and attempting...(although I may try and talk my coach into letting me row 200 M instead of run for my rounds...)

I also do a kickboxing class 2x's a week - so there may be times when certain muscles get overused between the two - for example on Thursday my kickboxing class focused in on legs - lots of squats, lunges, leg work and my crossfit WOD on Friday was back squats and a set of rounds that included a lot of air squats - I was pretty sore in my glutes and hamstrings come Saturday evening - but that wasn't because of crossfit soley - it was because I choose to do workouts that utilized and focused in on one area back to back...(I have no idea what my KB instructor is going to do and my CF box only puts up the next days WOD in the evenings)
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    They spread it out during the week - so you aren't doing the same things day after day...BUT some people do 5 classes a week - I do 2-3 depending on the week...so if I go Monday and do a WOD....and then go Friday - there may be the same lift. My box realize that some people come in 5 mornings a week...and others 1-2 times a week...

Monday I did Split Jerks and Push Presses - my WOD tonight will be Front Squats 3 3 3 3 3 and 7 pull-ups/run 125M - as many reps as possible in 12 minutes - and well since i suck at pullups and running hey if I get 4 rounds in I will consider it a success - for me it is all about moving and attempting...(although I may try and talk my coach into letting me row 200 M instead of run for my rounds...)

I also do a kickboxing class 2x's a week - so there may be times when certain muscles get overused between the two - for example on Thursday my kickboxing class focused in on legs - lots of squats, lunges, leg work and my crossfit WOD on Friday was back squats and a set of rounds that included a lot of air squats - I was pretty sore in my glutes and hamstrings come Saturday evening - but that wasn't because of crossfit soley - it was because I choose to do workouts that utilized and focused in on one area back to back...(I have no idea what my KB instructor is going to do and my CF box only puts up the next days WOD in the evenings)

Thank you for the feedback, that's basically the same boat I'm in (for me it's my lifting schedule and karate though). Somedays I just get completely shot in one area, I try to be as responsible and safe as possible, but there's only so much you can do when you're doing the things you love and they're all quite active. Good luck hitting 4 rounds!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

thefuzz1290: Could you list a few of the crossfit-type programs that you're thinking of? I'm curious about what Crossfit's competition is. (Full disclosure: I look a these things among other reasons to support the dojo I attend. I've gone through P90X, Insanity, and more to find workouts and stuff that we can do in our conditioning classes)

The main one in my area is called "Z-Fit." Basically its Crossfit, but adds some structure and no stupid WODs...like power cleans for high reps and heavy weights right after a workout doing a bunch of squats. Many other independent gyms use the same principles...which the owner of Crossfit keeps trying to sue these gyms for workouts he didn't invent. There is also the 300 Spartan workout, or google "Caveman Workouts," and you get some of the same principles. In all honesty, you can create your own Crossfit type workout fairly easily if you're experienced in fitness.

Remember, Crossfit isn't a fitness program, its a brand. People have been doing fitness like Crossfit for years. The Crossfit brand is run by a fat, drunk, ex-gymnist coach, who seeks to maximize his profit (which I don't begrudge him the latter). So you don't have to do Crossfit to get the same results.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

The main one in my area is called "Z-Fit." Basically its Crossfit, but adds some structure and no stupid WODs...like power cleans for high reps and heavy weights right after a workout doing a bunch of squats. Many other independent gyms use the same principles...which the owner of Crossfit keeps trying to sue these gyms for workouts he didn't invent. There is also the 300 Spartan workout, or google "Caveman Workouts," and you get some of the same principles. In all honesty, you can create your own Crossfit type workout fairly easily if you're experienced in fitness.

Remember, Crossfit isn't a fitness program, its a brand. People have been doing fitness like Crossfit for years. The Crossfit brand is run by a fat, drunk, ex-gymnist coach, who seeks to maximize his profit (which I don't begrudge him the latter). So you don't have to do Crossfit to get the same results.

Familiar with the latter ones, Z-fit I hadn't heard of though. Thanks