should she have her surgery paid for?

Options

Replies

• MystiqueASAP
    Options
    No way! It's not the tax payers' fault (or no one else fault for that matter) she lacks self-control. We are all accountable for our own actions. Wow, that is a lot of nerve to make such demands!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No. How is it fair to force other people (tax payers) to pay for your bad choices?
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    As much as I have wasting tax payer money on the stupid and lazy. Situations like this may be warranted. This lady obviously isn't willing to take care of herself and if left to be that large will most likely develop costly and chronic conditions that could cost the tax payer many more thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars.

On the flip side the weight loss surgery will fail as it takes responsibility on the part of the recipient to follow a new diet. This chick will fail and regain the weight.
  • dawnkay1
    dawnkay1 Posts: 41
    Options
    I know a women who allowed her father take a second mortgage on their house, to pay for her gastric band surgery, as she was so unhappy with her weight.

Within in 4 months, she was a size 12.

It is 2 years later - guess what size she is? 18+! Know what she says? "I prefer myself this way. I look at photos of how skinny I was, and I think I look much better now".

I don't think surgery helps. I believe it is the easy way out. I think weight loss has more to do with your state of mind than anything else.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    No f*cking way. She's just going to gain weight back. She's spending $300.00/week on fast food for her family. That's just pathetic.
    i agree if you can afford 300 a week, then you can defently afford a healthy lifetstyle
  • zebramama84
    zebramama84 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is a very sensitive topic for me, no she shouldnt be able to get WLS free ! There is a girl that lives in my town and has had WLS 4 times ....4 for F sakes !!! the goverment has paid for all 4 and she is on a waiting list to have a 5th surgery ..........she says "ooh they didnt do it right" as she drinks her daily giant gulp ! I kind of want to smack her ALOT !!! DONT PAY FOR SURGERY !! pay for her to see a personal trainer and nutritionist/ dietican and if she can change her lifestyle and work for it then maybe but otherwise no way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if there was a quick fix no one would be overweight or unhealthy !!!
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options
    Omg....screw this lady...that's so effed up...seriously.
    People are getting SO freaking dependent on the goverenment..now they want us all to pay for their weight loss...This makes me want to go live in the wilderness away from idiots like her...smh
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Hell no!!!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    NO WAY! :explode:

She didn't want to exercise or diet because it was too hard. It was in effect her own choice to get so big. Why should anyone else have to pay for that?

I guess it's all our own choices to let our weight get out of control. Some of us are able to get control enough to fix it while others have a really tough time. I didn't go to the link to see who, or what the circumstance was, but sometimes if the "state" pays for weight loss surgery, they are actually saving money. All the money they would have to spend providing medical care for someone obese and unhealthy is, potentially, many times more than weight loss surgery. It's cheaper in the long run. And, where do you think the money comes from? It comes from taxpayers. Would you rather pay part of $100,000 (just a number) one time for weight loss surgery or pay part of $500,000, $600,000, etc (just another number), ongoing, for health care for an obese person for the rest of their life? Medicare is starting to pay for some bariatric surgeries now because of this very premise. So, it's not just the one person who is being affected.

But how many people who get these kinds of surgeries are going to be healthy for the long haul afterward? If she doesn't eat healthy or exercise now, it's likely she will fall back into that pattern.

It IS a sticky situation. Most of us will fall back as well; it's the nature of the beast. I'm not saying to give everyone WLS who wants it. I did go look at the article. I also believe a person should have, at least, tried to lose weight before qualifying for surgery. It's been proven, if successful, medical costs are much lower as well as the fact people who haven't been working are again able to work. We pay for drug rehab too, but how often does that work? In the end, we pay for lots of medical costs knowing the outcome may not be a positive one; even heart, cancer, brain, etc surgeries. If taxpayers didn't pay, we would look like barbarians, not giving people a chance at success (or a chance at life).
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Um no. If she has a condition causing the weight gain, then her INSURANCE can foot the bill. If (according to the article) "dieting was 'too hard' and exercise 'hurt'" is really the case.... then she can suck it up like the rest of us and start small. It sounds to me like she is medically capable of losing a lot of the weight on her own. Why should taxpayers be involved whatsoever?
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Not by taxpayers. If she wants it, she should pay for it herself. Of course taxpayers also should not pay for someone to be on disability because they smoked all their life or have health issues from weight. But I digress. :noway:
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    NO WAY! :explode:

She didn't want to exercise or diet because it was too hard. It was in effect her own choice to get so big. Why should anyone else have to pay for that?

I agree with you! If she wouldn't work for it before why would she keep it off once its all gone?!?!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    No, it sounds unfair. If she isn't trying to lose weight and can't be bothered to work I don't see why my taxes should go to pay for something that she could have taken control of. If there was some medical reason for her weight gain fine. I don't like it when people act like they are being hard done by because they don't want to control their eating. That being said, I do support people that do need the operation but have to and do work to lose 100lbs in the first place. I just don't like the can't be bothered attitude.

I also don't buy the too fat to work that she is spouting. My accounting teacher was much bigger than her and he just had a special chair! My place of work provided me with a different chair because of my height I'm sure if someone wanted to employ her they would supply her with a chair.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If she wants surgery she should pay for it herself. Otherwise. try eating sensibly and doing a few short walks occasionally.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    This is a very sensitive topic for me, no she shouldnt be able to get WLS free ! There is a girl that lives in my town and has had WLS 4 times ....4 for F sakes !!! the goverment has paid for all 4 and she is on a waiting list to have a 5th surgery ..........she says "ooh they didnt do it right" as she drinks her daily giant gulp ! I kind of want to smack her ALOT !!! DONT PAY FOR SURGERY !! pay for her to see a personal trainer and nutritionist/ dietican and if she can change her lifestyle and work for it then maybe but otherwise no way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if there was a quick fix no one would be overweight or unhealthy !!!

I'm concerned the government's letting her have it that many times. It's a high-risk surgery and it would seem to me the more they do it, the higher her risk for a complication or even death is.

And you're right on that last statement. It's why I didn't pursue the surgery route very long because I realized it still would take time and a big change and honestly I'd rather do all of that without a huge medical bill or a giant scar on my body.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I know 2 ppl who had MEDI-CAL pay for thier gastric bypass.

It made me so mad bcuz they was so lazy that they had to have the state pay for thier surgery because they was too lazy to just get off thier *kitten* and work out.

The worst part is the 2nd girl only did it because her best friend did.

One of them still talks about eating out all the time.

Smh....

I dont think any kind of surgery regarding your weight should be paid for unless your health because of it is absolutly deadly.
  • shaX07
    shaX07 Posts: 28
    Options
    Heck no. She is not the way she is because of anything the taxpayers caused, she is the way she is because of her inaction on eating healthy and exercising properly.

Everybody on this site is doing their due diligence in exercising and eating healthy, there's no reason why this person should be any different and she deserves absolutely no special treatment.
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore_20.jpg
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Paying for her to have surgery seems like setting a very expensive precedent.

^^ For sure. If that got into law books, it would be much easier for the next person to demand the surgery too.

shes from the uk the predent has already been set

guidelines here state a bmi over 40 should be considered for free bariartric surgery on the NHS
    most trusts have additional requirements such as bmi over 55 or co morbititys such as diabites, heart disease, sleep aponea etc, im sure at her weight shes likely to meet the requirements once her case goes before the trusts panel
  • Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    HELL NO!! What is wrong with people that they can't take ANY responsibility for themselves anymore?? YOU made yourself "fat." McDonald's did not do it. YOU made your choices. There are so many AMAZING people on MFP who have lost 100+ lbs. If they can do it, she can do it.