Helloitsdan Fans. I have a question

Options

Replies

• kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    bumping for later because all of this is like a new language to me and now i'm interested.. How do you get your numbers calculated for you?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Use this to calculate your BMR and then post that, along with your daily lifestyle/job and your exercise routine. I will run the numbers. Or you can look at the options on the website I provided as well.

I've done the calculations and kind of confused myself

My BMR is 1479

I work as a secretary, so job is sedentary but I work out up to 5 days a week doing body pump x3 and spin classes

I worked out I can either eat 1871 and eat calories back

or

2416 and no calories to eat back through exercise

Is this right???

Thanks

I would eat 1800 calories total and this includes exercise. If you don't lose weight after a month, then add 200 calories to it. And you eat that every day, even on rest days.

thank you very much x
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I posted a topic similar because I am so confused.. can someone help me out?
    34 yo female, 66.5 in tall,
    216 current weight
    goal weight 155.
    body fat % 33.4

at fat to fit, my BMR said 1784, and the total calories said 2038. can someone help me make sense of this?
    I do about 30 min cardio 3 days a week. I do abs (crunches, pyramids etc) and I try to add in resistance too. I am changing to 25 min cardio 3 days a week and resistance 3 days a week alternating legs and upper.
    I am on my feet at work, but usually just standing, not walking around.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    OK - now I'm really confused. I went to the Fat 2 Fit site and I guess I did my forearm measurement wrong because it said I was within the healthy fat % range @ 27% (which I suppose could be correct) and that I only need to lose 4 lbs to get to my "healthy goal weight". No way that is right. I'm 5'9" and it says I just need to weigh 175.

But then when I did the other calculators it was pretty close to what I already have on MFP to get me to my goal of 140, which according to other sites is about right for my frame size.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think what is meant is that you can set your exercise calories to 0, which I did. Home/goals/customize your fitness goals/fitness goals/calories burned/week
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OK - now I'm really confused. I went to the Fat 2 Fit site and I guess I did my forearm measurement wrong because it said I was within the healthy fat % range @ 27% (which I suppose could be correct) and that I only need to lose 4 lbs to get to my "healthy goal weight". No way that is right. I'm 5'9" and it says I just need to weigh 175.

But then when I did the other calculators it was pretty close to what I already have on MFP to get me to my goal of 140, which according to other sites is about right for my frame size.

You should use the military BF calculator on that site.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I have been following this plan since Wednesday. I am not using the tdee including exercise. Instead I am eating just above my bmr and eating any exercise calories back. Personally I don't like the idea of spreading the exercise calories out over the week so you eat the same amount every day. What happens if you fall ill or something and you are unable to do your allotted exercise. You would then be I trouble because you had already eaten for them earlier in the week.

I don't know if my way will work but it is way too early for me to tell yet. Fit to fat radio said you shouldn't do what I am doing because you will just put the fat back you burnt off at the gym for that day. I don't see what the problem is to be honest. At the end of the week it will still be the same calories except my method is safer.

The allotted numbers are already cutting 20% from TDEE.
    You could be ill for days eating below TDEE and still lose weight.

This is a slower process but you shouldn't have to spend time in surpluss building back lost lean mass.

Oh!

Hi everyone!

Hi Dan. Thanks for the reply. Do you think my method Is wrong by only eating just above bmr on non exercise days ? I don't think it's a 20% deficit because my sedentary TDEE is 1707 average on most sites but fat to fit gives it at just over 1600 for sedentary. This is for my goal weight of 135 so not much of a deficit. I would be happy losing .5 lbs to 1 lb per week. I have been doing this for just over a week but have lost nothing. I understand I should wait until at least 2 weeks before the scale starts moving if I have been on a vlcd for a while (7 months). So I will be patient.

Can you break down for me what kind of day you have as well as how often you work out?
    You can also feel free to post:

Body Fat%
    Weight
    How often you work out
    How long are you on your feet a day etc...
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have been following this plan since Wednesday. I am not using the tdee including exercise. Instead I am eating just above my bmr and eating any exercise calories back. Personally I don't like the idea of spreading the exercise calories out over the week so you eat the same amount every day. What happens if you fall ill or something and you are unable to do your allotted exercise. You would then be I trouble because you had already eaten for them earlier in the week.

I don't know if my way will work but it is way too early for me to tell yet. Fit to fat radio said you shouldn't do what I am doing because you will just put the fat back you burnt off at the gym for that day. I don't see what the problem is to be honest. At the end of the week it will still be the same calories except my method is safer.

The allotted numbers are already cutting 20% from TDEE.
    You could be ill for days eating below TDEE and still lose weight.

This is a slower process but you shouldn't have to spend time in surpluss building back lost lean mass.

Oh!

Hi everyone!

Hi Dan. Thanks for the reply. Do you think my method Is wrong by only eating just above bmr on non exercise days ? I don't think it's a 20% deficit because my sedentary TDEE is 1707 average on most sites but fat to fit gives it at just over 1600 for sedentary. This is for my goal weight of 135 so not much of a deficit. I would be happy losing .5 lbs to 1 lb per week. I have been doing this for just over a week but have lost nothing. I understand I should wait until at least 2 weeks before the scale starts moving if I have been on a vlcd for a while (7 months). So I will be patient.

Can you break down for me what kind of day you have as well as how often you work out?
    You can also feel free to post:

Body Fat%
    Weight
    How often you work out
    How long are you on your feet a day etc...

Hi Dan

64 inches
    28.6 Body Fat
    152lbs
    Would like to get to about 135lbs and 20% body fat since I have a large frame

I am currently working out between 3 and 4 times per week burning an average of 500 cals per workout using my HRM.

I began this journey last August at 231lbs and 50% body fat and lost everything to date using a 1200 cal diet. I didn't always stick to 1200 cals though I zig zagged a bit and went up to 1400 cals some days. I also had "cheat meals" once a month to try and boost my metabolism.

I have lost a fair bit of fat but am not happy with the amount I still have left. Especially round my tummy and bingo wings on the upper arms

I have a desk job from 8.30am until 5pm. I move around now and again and use the stairs a few times a day moving a short distance between buidings but that's about it.
  • Tigermad
    Options
    Bump
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Okay - is this for very slow weight loss, though?

MFP projects I'll only lose 1.7 pounds in 5 weeks if I'm eating this many calories (burning about 300 calories from exercise, 6 days per week)

Mentally, try aproaching this a diffferent way. Using myself as and example I'm going to look at it over a week. My BMR is 1800 roughly. Say I wanted to set that +10% as my calories goal. That would be 1980 Calories X 7days = 12,600 total calories for the week.. I will work out 5 times for an average of 500 calories burned. That's 500 X 5 = 2500 total calories burned. Add them together for total calories to consume 2500 + 12600 = 15100. Divide that by 7 days 15100 / 7= 2157. If your activity level is higher, you calories are higher. I'm sure what they do is a little more sophisticated than that but essentially thats the logic.
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    Bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Hi Dan

64 inches
    28.6 Body Fat
    152lbs

I am currently working out between 3 and 4 times per week burning an average of 500 cals per workout using my HRM.

I began this journey last August at 231lbs and 50% body fat and lost everything to date using a 1200 cal diet. I didn't always stick to 1200 cals though I zig zagged a bit and went up to 1400 cals some days. I also had "cheat meals" once a month to try and boost my metabolism.

I have lost a fair bit of fat but am not happy with the amount I still have left. Especially round my tummy and bingo wings on the upper arms

I have a desk job from 8.30am until 5pm. I move around now and again and use the stairs a few times a day moving a short distance between buidings but that's about it.

So

BMR 1430
    TDEE 2216

LBM 107.9lbs <---pretty good but needs to go up.
    Fat 44lbs

128 is perfect weight according to the calculator

1773 is your static calories daily
    Set Protein and Fat to at least 30% each.

this should work for a long while.
    Once BF% gets closer to 20% youll need a diet break.
    After the break you can decide to keep cutting or recomp.
  • Tigermad
    Options

Hi Dan

64 inches
    28.6 Body Fat
    152lbs

So

BMR 1430
    TDEE 2216

LBM 107.9lbs <---pretty good but needs to go up.
    Fat 44lbs

128 is perfect weight according to the calculator

1773 is your static calories daily
    Set Protein and Fat to at least 30% each.

this should work for a long while.
    Once BF% gets closer to 20% youll need a diet break.
    After the break you can decide to keep cutting or recomp.

Hi dan. Everything sounds good apart from the perfect goal weight. I inputted the figures 152lbs 28.6% and 20% into the fat2fit calculator and it said 136lbs is my ideal weight. Don't forget also I have a large frame. Which calculator gave you 128?
  • Tigermad
    Options
    So do I eat 1770 day and it doesn't change if I exercise 3 -4 times a week? I.e already includes the exercise cals? When you said static I wasnt sure if you meant me static or static calories do the same every day :-). Sorry for all the questions.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    So do I eat 1770 day and it doesn't change if I exercise 3 -4 times a week? I.e already includes the exercise cals? When you said static I wasnt sure if you meant me static or static calories do the same every day :-). Sorry for all the questions.

correct!

I ise a dietary calculator but like the BMI scale it doesnt know your composition bone wise.
    =D

1770 daily.
    If you overt train youll have to eat back so keep workouts to an hour or less and be sure to have 2 full rest days.
  • Tigermad
    Options

correct!

I ise a dietary calculator but like the BMI scale it doesnt know your composition bone wise.
    =D

1770 daily.
    If you overt train youll have to eat back so keep workouts to an hour or less and be sure to have 2 full rest days.

Perfect. I really appreciate the help you have provided. :-)
    I am starting the 1770 today and have already got an exercise session in. Let's see how it goes.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Mentally, try aproaching this a diffferent way. Using myself as and example I'm going to look at it over a week. My BMR is 1800 roughly. Say I wanted to set that +10% as my calories goal. That would be 1980 Calories X 7days = 12,600 total calories for the week.. I will work out 5 times for an average of 500 calories burned. That's 500 X 5 = 2500 total calories burned. Add them together for total calories to consume 2500 + 12600 = 15100. Divide that by 7 days 15100 / 7= 2157. If your activity level is higher, you calories are higher. I'm sure what they do is a little more sophisticated than that but essentially thats the logic.

I'm using this method too based on 4 workouts a week. I started April 1 and haven't seen a gain at all even though I increased cals by 450 day on non workout days! No loss yet either but I'm hoping that will come in time.

I really like this method as I get a consistent number of daily calories - I'm not hungry on non workout days. And if I happen to get an extra workout in, I consider that a bonus deficit.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I'm using this method too based on 4 workouts a week. I started April 1 and haven't seen a gain at all even though I increased cals by 450 day on non workout days! No loss yet either but I'm hoping that will come in time.

I really like this method as I get a consistent number of daily calories - I'm not hungry on non workout days. And if I happen to get an extra workout in, I consider that a bonus deficit.

Yupper! That's exactly what I like about it too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am just glad dan decided to join the conversation. I was getting tired from covering him lol.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i thought i had this down pat. i'd reset my calories according to F2F calc
    33 y/o female
    219 current weight/ 169 goal weight
    5'9 = 69 inches tall
    desk job
    heavy weight train 2x week, spinning 2x week, couple dog walks a week
    per F2F:
    Katch McA BMR 1489
    Sedentary 1871
    Lightly Active 2144
    Mod Active 2416
    for the past couple of weeks i've set my cals at 2416 (i'm not weighing all april long so idk if there's been a loss) and macros at 40/30/30. but before this i've stalled with no weight loss for over a month. should i continue this cal amount or should i drop it to Lightly Active amt of 2144?
    and to be clear- we are NOT to pay attention to the Net calories??
    on days with large burns from HRM should we make an attempt to eat more so we NET more than our BMR??
    thanks in advance!
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have been using my fitbit for a month now. SO I took the Average burn from the past month and subtracted 20%, which ended up being just under the like by 50 calories what F2T said my lightly active intake should be. SO I upped my calories to that. I had myself set at sedentary, guess that was wrong. I try to take at least a 20-30minute walk most days of the week, and do very light, sit-ups and leg lift strength training. I can't do much more because of my disabilities.

Does this sound right. Like I said I have been using the FITBIT for a month. Wanted to get a good idea of the numbers before I started using them.