ITT: Ask me anything about losing weight..

Options

Replies

• prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Im looking for another opinion on my calories...Im 5ft 2 (just) and 30 years old. I weigh Currently about 178 lbs aiming to be around 140ish. I have lost 29 lbs since January. I work out 6 times a week a Mixture of cardio ( aerobics and running) and Weights. I have my Calories currently set at 1330. 1 lb loss a week. I have stalled out a little the last couple of weeks. I had a small loss last week after nothing for 2 weeks. But I'm thinking that I'm not eating enough. I try to eat back my exercise calories. Some days it doesn't happen and I net under 1200. I work in retail so I am on my feet at least 5 hours a day non stop. So sometime eating a snack at work consists of a protein shake or a piece of fruit. And I don't like to eat HUGE meals at night. What are your thoughts on my calories and loss. I ideally would like to lose 1-2 lbs a week. My diary is open if you would like to look. :)

Thanks for reading.
  • Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. It's really great that you're offering up your knowledge and "street smarts" for those of us who have never tried to lose weight in this type of method. Before I just kept away from fatty foods and exercised alot (in my early 20's). I've been dormant and taking a different approach after 5 years of no large amounts of activity. It's nice to be able to ease back into it... I really appreciate your advice, thanks again.
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! That's fabulous!
  • renaud80
    renaud80 Posts: 6
    Options
    Gotta bump! Thanks for putting yourself out there and offering your wealth of knowledge. You're too kind :flowerforyou:
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for over a year but I am struggling.
    My weightloss stalled last year and I put that down to loosing my mum, but six months on and I canno't get past loosing the same 5lbs over again.
    I have done more research and found I was under eating which I didn't realise.
    I have looked at many different websites to get my BMR and try and work out my TDEE and base my calories on those.
    I always aim to NET = 1400+ now. I haven't logged for two weeks I stepped away just to stop me stressing and hopefully give my body a chance to reset5 it's self. I am not falling asleep in the early evenings so I think I am doing something right.
    I am moving all day long on a normal week, sometimes I don't sit down at all at work and sometimes I can be sat at a pc for a few hours or even most of the day. I orgionally set my actiivty level to sedatary and logged any exercise seperatly.
    In feb I got myself a fitbit which I wear all the time and discovered I was moving way more than I thought. I am walking 5-7miles a day with taking daughter to school, going to work and then collecting her in the evenings. I bike 10 mins each way to her school from work so its a very short ride, but I always try and do it as fast as I can (traffic & lights permitting!)
    I so to parkrun (timed 5k ) every saturday that I am free which I walk in about 40 minutes - still have no inclination to run it, maybe one day...
    Sorry I am digressing.
    Do I set my activity level to active or very active as I get a huge increase on calories via the fitbit if I don't most of the websites look at how many times you exerise not the fact your active with work?

Having stalled for so long, I am trying to organise more time to do other exercise - I have p90x sitting on a shelf, but I don't have the space and the player needed to run/ do it - its my target for later in the year.
    I power walk whenever I can get the time around full time job and two small children, I have always tried to make my journey to fitness fit in with my family as I feel I am more likely to keep it up if it doesn't conflict and time is the main thing I (like many are short on- I get 30 minutes to eat lunch so I can leave work early to collect oldest daughter and then get back in tiime to collect youngest - )
    I know the source of my calories are not the greatest but I am trying to find an approximate start point on the calories as I can work on improving the sources once I have got the numbers right.

my stats

SW:232
    CW 185-193
    height 5' 4"
    body fat approx 36%

Thank you very much for your time and trying to help those of us that are a little lost
  • vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    Can you give an example of a diet for fat loss?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Sublog, you may regret this thread - so many questions?
    So you didn't eat back exercise calories and lost consistently. Did you IF throughout your weight loss?
    If you have about 40 pounds to lose do you think 2 pounds per week do-able and okay?
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    OH if only you were on here a yr ago....my problems would have been solved..my weight loss stalled after 130 lbs loss (tried EVERYTHING) and gave up after 7 months of nothing! :sad:

WELL DONE for helping others xx :flowerforyou:
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    I just posted a new topic and then saw this. Please check it out and let me know what you think. I've seen you around the forums and you seem to have knowledgeable and sound advice. Here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/561984-plateauing-despite-sufficient-calorie-intake
  • trud72
    Options
    thx honey but i am getting a op done now if you know what i mean x
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I have read alot about increasing calories. As per BMR and TDEE and everything. I have done the maths and everything on it. However, heres the problem for me. See I, as per my BMR+20% daily activity = 2100 calories. Which I eat typically. Its my freaking exercise calories.

I do boxing, which causes me on a slow day atleast 1k calories. Typically I burn 2k-2.5k calories in a day. Which means that I get to eat 4.5k Calories...Even if MFP is overestimating by 50%, thats still 3.25k+ calories I gotta eat.

At this point, should I try and eat all those calories or should I just eat till I'm full and stuffed with good foods? I eat clean but eat lots of meats and rice and stuff so I'm not just living on fruits and veggies mind you. I'm eating good solid food, its just too many freaking calories to eat without scarfing down a whopper >.<
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    How many days do you workout a week? What days are cardio and what days are weights? How long do you spend at the gym and how many sets do you do? How many reps do you do?
  • trud72
    Options
    RIZ........never eat till you feel stuffed honey,eat to you feel satisfied!
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Why do you rock ?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No questions: just a huge congratulations on your weight loss and all the extra hard work getting your body in such good shape.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Just a question, I hold lots my weight in my stomach area.
    any exercises to aid it to lose faster around there?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am 5 5" 24 and weigh 187 currently. I want to aim fir 1.5 lbs a week and MFP puts me at 1260 cals for this.... My bmr though is between 1599 and 1660 depending on the calc I use... Should I really eat 1260 cals? Or will I sabotage mh efforts? Also whats your take on eating back exercise cals??

Congrats! Your weightloss is really very indpirational! :-)

I personally believe that you should set your own calorie goals based on your exercise levels. Far too many variables involved in trying to accurately track and record your calories expended. It's hard enough for most people to accurately count calories.

To answer your question, I think at your weight, you could easily eat more and still lose 1+ lbs per week. Try eating 1500 calories for 3 weeks to see how your weight reacts. 1260 is low for your size.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I've been at a plateau for about 6-8 weeks now. So far I've lost 15 lbs, and and want to lose another 10 by June 1st. Each week I see the same 2 lbs (157-159). I am 40, calories now are upped to 1580 for the last 3 weeks, work out 5 day's a week at 4-5 miles walking/jogging and twice a week yoga. I usually eat back most of my exercise calories. so what gives..... thanks in advance!

Likely you are under-estimating your intake of calories. That is the #1 reason for plateau's IMO. Might I suggest using a digital scale and weighing all of your portions? If it's a solid, don't use a volume measurement. Use weight. (assuming you already don't do this)..Double check the math on everything you log to ensure that the macros add up to the calorie intake.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've heard the Paleo diet is the best diet ever and when combined with Crossfit you will become f'n elite, any truth to this?