Why do I feel like CRAP on low carbs?

Options

Replies

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem so many people on these boards are "My way or the highway"???!?
    There are LOTS of ways you can lose weight. Yes, some are healthier than others. BUT... there is not one thing that works for EVERYONE. SOOOOO... Just because YOU lost weight eating high carbs or low carbs does not mean it is the ONLY way.

I see this happen in SO MANY threads. Someone asks a question and then the thread takes a turn to argue something that might actually be very individualized--and that doesn't answer the question asked! Please give advice, offer your two cents--but allow that there could be other possibilities. It's almost like talking religion in here these days--everyone seems so passionate that their way is all there is. If there was one answer and it was cut and dry, obesity rates wouldn't be so high and the diet industry wouldn't make billions! Every body is different. Some people do REALLY well on low carb, some people do not. Some people are allergic to carrots--that doesn't mean that they should tell everyone else in the world to never eat carrots because carrots don't work for them!!

So few of these actually answer the original question and stick to that. I know everyone is trying to help, but there are SOOOO many ways this weight loss thing can work.

So, to answer the original question. In my opinion, it is normal to feel bad when cutting carbs. (The OP didn't ask whether or not low carb was a good diet, so why would I even address that?!) You may get over it in a few days, or you may be a person who just does not do well on low carbs. It doesn't hurt to experiment to get the weight loss equation right for you. Good luck!

THANK YOU! AGREE!
  • MinimizingMichelle
    MinimizingMichelle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My personal recommendation is for EVERYONE to see a dietitian / nutritionist if they're looking to change their diet. So many people do it wrong and can end up with negative outcomes/effects.

All of us here have clearly taken the time to read and likely many of us know quite a bit, but a dietitian / nutritionist is TRAINED to modify your diet. You should also consult your medical doctor first, especially if you have any medial problems.

All you need is half an hour with your dietitian and it'll change EVERYTHING. Guaranteed. :)

Best of luck.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    No matter how many low carb threads are created, people will not stop flocking to them.
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    MFP says my carb limit is 250 a day. Carbs come in many forms--fruit, bread, cereals. Your body needs carbs to produce energy.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    why is everyone so anti-carb?
    Some people just have too much joy and need to remove it from their lives somehow.

Love this :laugh:
  • MinimizingMichelle
    MinimizingMichelle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    No matter how many low carb threads are created, people will not stop flocking to them.

What does it matter? Every thread is repeated. If people want to reply, what's the issue? Just don't read them?
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    just started doing low carb since yesterday and I seriously felt like CRAP!! is it because my body is so used to eating alot of carbs like whole grain bread/wheat cereal/brown rice..? I am aiming for under 50 carbs and high protein with cardio to lose weight.. is this just how you feel in the beginning but eventually your body adapts?

Why do you feel bad? Because carbs are one of the many things that make life worth living. :drinker:
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Everyone is a Psychologist on the internet. I know this because I am a board certified Rocket Surgeon.

Also, carbs are delicious.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options

True.

tumblr_kz0zm13TVG1qzc8rmo1_250.gif
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options

What does it matter? Every thread is repeated. If people want to reply, what's the issue? Just don't read them?

I was simply saying that this is a hot topic. I do not have an issue with people posting and/or replying to any topic.
  • snowbirdy
    snowbirdy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did the low carb thing several years back and it was amazing. The only thing I did wrong was not follow the plan on through to maintenance (where you add back nuts, fruits, legumes/beans, then whole grains) - I went back to eating the nasty junk and fast foods and of course gained the weight back after a couple years. I have started the program again and hope to make it a life long way of eating this time, as I really do much better eating this way. When I did it the first time - I had a ton more energy, no cravings, no blood sugar issues, my skin even cleared up beautifully....

And just to be clear - I'm talking low NET carbs (total carbs minus fiber). I am running on around 20 net carbs and in phase one right now, so I eat a lot of salad greens and spinach with onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc... plus a good amount of eggs and meats and fat as desired. I am on day six and my cravings are already gone (I am not even tempted by the potato chips hubby has hanging around! This....this is amazing for me), my energy level has not dipped much this time, but last time day three was my killer. After that I was golden.

I don't weigh again until Monday...but am hoping for progress. But when I did it before - just to give an idea - I lost 23 pounds in 40 days - from 156 to 133. I kept a food journal and the calories I consumed were about where they should have been to lose only a pound a week. I welcome an explaination for that... because I can eat the same cals including white flour/sugar foods and will not lose weight like I did on the low net carbs. Strange I know - the calorie math just didn't add up, but my jeans didn't lie!

I hope we both have great progress and healthy eating on the low net carb way of eating!
  • FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Being pre-diabetic, my doc said I needed to reduce carbs... he didn't say I had to quit them. He also said exercise helps use up that blood sugar. Perhaps you just need more exercise? Trust me, a lot of folks know a lot more on the topic than I do. However, I just bought an elliptical last week and I hope that helps me get that blood sugar under control.

Good luck.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school my mom made me do the atkins low carb diet for 6 months or so. I was miserable. I felt like crap all the time. It never went away. I have no idea if that is normal but that was my experience with low carbs.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    When I went on Atkins (<20carbs/day), I was tired for about 4-5 days. Then after about 10 days, I felt fantastic! I was super-energized!
  • melissafranks90
    Options
    You might have severe carb depletion you better be careful it can really hurt you. Intake either oatmeal or a pb&j sandwich. Oatmeal is a carb that can fuel you all day, bread is a simple carb and it breaks down really fast.
  • waisted78
    waisted78 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, healthy carbs are good. In fact, you need carbs (whole grains, etc) for energy which is probably why she feels moody and tired. I just wouldn't do it, especially if you are doing cardio.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    MFP says my carb limit is 250 a day. Carbs come in many forms--fruit, bread, cereals. Your body needs carbs to produce energy.

It says mine is 19 per day, but that's because I don't leave it at the default settings, its a beautiful thing to be an individual, I can individualize my diet to my needs and so can everyone else, you don't have to use the default settings.

To op, contrary to popular opinion, not everyone needs carbs for energy, evaluate your reasons for trying low carb, decide on your goals and then make a decision about whether you have the desire and willpower to follow through. Some people are simply not cut out for a low carb lifestyle.
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you that you'll feel better in a week or so when your body adapts. However, when I tried it? My body never did adapt. I felt awful, gained weight and didn't sleep well, but was so exhausted.

I found that for whatever reason, my body doesn't do well on low carbs and once I added carbs back in - the weight I gained fell off, I felt better and my sleeping returned to normal.

Do what works best for YOU.

Exactly right. I can't do low carb diets. I can do good carb diets. I actually do my best on a fully vegan/good carb (meaning unprocessed) menu. However....the problem is that I like meat. :) Not all people are created the same, so you might have to tweak your carb level to one that is suitable for you. Instead of taking them out, I'd try altering which ones you're taking in. Look for carbs that are not processed heavily and have a high fiber content. Usually going for colored fruits and vegetables instead of white foods is an easy way to start.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    carb withdraws. xP
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I experienced the same thing the 1st week I was low carbing.
    I'm finishing up week 2 and feel great! I treat myself to Sugar Free snacks such as jello and candies--this helps me thru the withdrawl period! Stick with it...you will do fine.