Options

Replies

• prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • indigenousnudity
    Options
    Once your body gets into ketosis and starts using ketones for energy instead of glucose you will feel better. Just keep your fat and protein intake high. Your body will start breaking down its own fat for energy and you will feel great.

I think a lot of people don't eat enough fat on a low carb diet, when it needs to be your main source of energy.

A ketogenic diet is fantastic for losing weight and improving overall health. I've lost over 60lbs doing it, I try and keep net carbs under 30 a day.

Too bad keto diets have no metabolic advantage...

Ketogenic diets have been proven in mice to have greater metabolic effects. Also the lack of hunger that comes with a keto diet does help people stick to it and reduce their calories without trying. Ketones have also been shown to improve brain performance.

The fact remains that the body doesn't need carbohydrate to survive, but it does need fat and protein. Sure carbs give you energy if that's what you put in your body. But if you're obese, insulin resistant or just looking for a better source of fuel, a keto diet works wonders.

And the the mice studies are relevant, why exactly? Esp considering in human trials that metabolic advantage doesn't appear. Can you link me to some studies show increased brain performance on ketones, I've seen plenty on low carb diets negatively effect cognitive performance, not bettering it

Mice studies are used frequently in many sciences to simulate certain conditions. I agree it's not 100% accurate to use mice but when most studies on humans are weak observational experiments I'd prefer to go with the mice.

I can't access the specific reports as I'm on my phone, but here is a good summation of how ketones affect your brain:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/your-brain-ketones

My understanding is that ketones are just more efficient when it comes to getting broken down for brain energy.

If you only think there are "weak observational studies" done on low carb/keto diets in humans, you haven't looked hard enough. There are plenty tightly controlled studies on this subject matter.

Here's a more recent one

Johnston CS et. al. Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. (2006) 83: 1055-1061

www.ajcn.org/content/83/5/1055.full.pdf

It's a decent study but with a sample size of twenty people I wouldn't call it conclusive.

I think the best diet is the one that works for you. A keto diet works for many of us, whether or not it has a metabolic advantage remains to be seen. It does have an advantage in satiety, overall weight loss and possibly brain performance though.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Ketones are used by the brain for energy after you've been in ketosis for a while. But you guys know you can make glucose from ketones, right?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Once your body gets into ketosis and starts using ketones for energy instead of glucose you will feel better. Just keep your fat and protein intake high. Your body will start breaking down its own fat for energy and you will feel great.

I think a lot of people don't eat enough fat on a low carb diet, when it needs to be your main source of energy.

A ketogenic diet is fantastic for losing weight and improving overall health. I've lost over 60lbs doing it, I try and keep net carbs under 30 a day.

Ketogenic diets have been proven in mice to have greater metabolic effects. Also the lack of hunger that comes with a keto diet does help people stick to it and reduce their calories without trying. Ketones have also been shown to improve brain performance.

The fact remains that the body doesn't need carbohydrate to survive, but it does need fat and protein. Sure carbs give you energy if that's what you put in your body. But if you're obese, insulin resistant or just looking for a better source of fuel, a keto diet works wonders.

And the the mice studies are relevant, why exactly? Esp considering in human trials that metabolic advantage doesn't appear. Can you link me to some studies show increased brain performance on ketones, I've seen plenty on low carb diets negatively effect cognitive performance, not bettering it

Mice studies are used frequently in many sciences to simulate certain conditions. I agree it's not 100% accurate to use mice but when most studies on humans are weak observational experiments I'd prefer to go with the mice.

I can't access the specific reports as I'm on my phone, but here is a good summation of how ketones affect your brain:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/your-brain-ketones

My understanding is that ketones are just more efficient when it comes to getting broken down for brain energy.

If you only think there are "weak observational studies" done on low carb/keto diets in humans, you haven't looked hard enough. There are plenty tightly controlled studies on this subject matter.

Here's a more recent one

Johnston CS et. al. Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. (2006) 83: 1055-1061

It's a decent study but with a sample size of twenty people I wouldn't call it conclusive.

I think the best diet is the one that works for you. A keto diet works for many of us, whether or not it has a metabolic advantage remains to be seen. It does have an advantage in satiety, overall weight loss and possibly brain performance though.

I agree the best diet is one that you can adhere too, but choosing for greater fat loss is an uninformed choice. Holding protein constant, I doubt low carb would come out much better then a higher carb diet in terms of satiety and it has been shown that greater initial weight loss on low carb is due to water/glycogen loss and by 1 yr the weight loss advantage also disappears. Both cognitive and athletic performance is negatively effected by low carb
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<look at me, I eat anywhere between 150 and 200 carbs a day.

Its called balance people. We should not deprive our bodies of nutrients, we should not fear food, that is just plain sad. We need carbs for energy, oh yes we do.

When we live a healthy happy life, we eat a good variety of good foods and feel GREAT!

@lesasass

Try needing to lose 100 pounds. A person gets mighty impatient. Not saying it's the best way, but there's a big difference in needing to lose 5 pounds or.. mega pounds.

Just because I look great today does not mean I always did. I have lost 40 over 4.5 years. I have done it with a pair of shoes and a fork. I can not speak to needing to lose 100 lbs, but this is a life long journey in eating correctly and living right, not a fast way to lose weight. Do not forget that the faster you lose that much weight, the greater the chance there is that you will have sagging skin, which is not attractive at all.

You can do what you want to do, it really is your business. When I got here I needed to lose those last few lbs that a 43 year old would love to lose, and I did it. I did not start in January when I signed up for this site. I started in September of 2007. So for me, being patient has paid off, big time.

Balance is the key to EVERYTHING in life. I strive, every day, for balance of mind, body and spirit. This is the way I live, after all, this is the only life I have, I am going to enjoy it.

Most of us who endeavor to lose a lot of weight do not speak in a condescending manner. Oh, no we don't people. Just because we are still struggling doesn't mean we are stupid. Congrats on losing weight.
  • KatyBugs1724
    Options
    It's the carb flu! it's basically your body detoxing and getting rid of all the extra toxins etc and switching from carb burning to fat burning. It's not very healthy to stay in this state long term but if you use it as kinda a detox, and then start adding in natural carbs like those from fruits and veggies and occassional whole grains you'll be good to go! your body really doesn't even need the carbs from grains...it can get all that it needs from fruits and veggies, but its more convenient and practical that way
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    just started doing low carb since yesterday and I seriously felt like CRAP!! is it because my body is so used to eating alot of carbs like whole grain bread/wheat cereal/brown rice..? I am aiming for under 50 carbs and high protein with cardio to lose weight.. is this just how you feel in the beginning but eventually your body adapts?

I found that eating around 60-80 is ideal for me.. You might have to tweak.. Look up Paleo.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Here's a more recent one

I agree the best diet is one that you can adhere too, but choosing for greater fat loss is an uninformed choice. Holding protein constant, I doubt low carb would come out much better then a higher carb diet in terms of satiety and it has been shown that greater initial weight loss on low carb is due to water/glycogen loss and by 1 yr the weight loss advantage also disappears. Both cognitive and athletic performance is negatively effected by low carb

I can see athletic performance. But cognitive? In what way and by what measurement? Curious.
  • sugarbear16
    sugarbear16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I took a DNA swab test to see what healthy eating program is best for me. I am supposed to have low carbs and high protein. I am also supposed to do high intense workouts. I feel so much better. I have celiac and most of that food is all carbs. I could tell it was making me sick. So with the DNA test and what my doctors told me, this is spot on. I don't sugar crash and I am not craving all kinds of sugars or pasta's or bread. We will see how this works. I eat cheese sticks, nuts, fish, chicken, and no white potatoes, fruits. Lots of water. Yes, we need carbs, it is just how much and we all are different. Our food supply contains lots of carbs to keep you addicted and craving more. Some need more, but none of us needs as much as our food supply keeps us craving. Do some research, talk to your doctor or take the DNA swab test and Inherent health. It was on DR. OZ. I only took it because I am struggling losing weight and feeling sick. I feel better eating less carbs. Love them, they don't love me.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

Here's a more recent one

I can see athletic performance. But cognitive? In what way and by what measurement? Curious.

I can't speak for everyone, but when I was on <20carbs to lose 40 pounds, I was managing 80 people and had memorized over 50 technical procedures as well as performed 60 minutes of step aerobics 5-6 days a week. I felt fantastic and was as sharp as ever at work. Long term may be different, it didn't take long to lose over 40 pounds; if I remember right, it was less than 2 months and I kept it off until my back injury about 5 years later.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'd take it from a psychiatrist, maybe, but a psychologist has no medical qualifications so why would I care what a psychologist thinks?

Psychologists are properly qualified! My psychologist has ten degrees, a PHD and lectures in German and English (she's prettu motivated). She's awesome. And yes, she's a Doctor!

EDIT: Serotonin is directly related to mood so of course a psychologist would understand this...
    I didn't mention whether or not they'd UNDERSTAND it. They're simply not in a position to use that qualification as grounds for their opinion.

Haha, YOU may not care what a psychologist thinks, but that doesn't make their opinion or education less valid.

Regarding low-carb; I've done it before and it took a while for me to feel better (I actually felt A LOT better, however, I ate a ketogenic diet for seizures/migraines, not weight loss). I never stopped craving carbs, though, because they're delicious and I love them. I'm trying to go back to eating that way again but it's really difficult for me.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Carbs are ready made energy for your body. You cut most of them out and - viola! - you feel like crap.

Nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, plenty of water, and regular exercise are the keys for effective, long-term weight loss and good health.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Because Ketoacidios is UNHEALTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing wrong with carbs as long they are healthy carbs. Stay away from processed carbs. Fruits, Veggies, whole grains GOOD,GOOD, GOOD. Low carb is the search for a quick fix.....no such thing.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Here's a more recent one

As I understand it, in the beginning of going low carb, cognitive functioning is impaired (which makes sense) but as time goes on functioning improves, but they still trail a more mixed diet in the tests.

Danci et al. Low-carbohydrate weight-loss diets. Effects on cognition and mood. Appetite, 2009; 52 (1): 96-103.

http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10113/23706/1/IND44133744.pdf

Halyburton AK, et al. Low- and high-carbohydrate weight-loss diets have similar effects on mood but not cognitive performance. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2007; 86: 580–587.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/86/3/580
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    •Ketones are produced when your body starts burning fat for energy instead of glucose.
    •Dangerously high levels of ketones can lead to diabetic coma or death.
    •Know the warning signs and check urine for ketones, especially when sick.

Ketoacidosis (key-toe-*kitten*-i-DOE-sis) is a serious condition that can lead to diabetic coma (passing out for a long time) or even death. When your cells don't get the glucose they need for energy, your body begins to burn fat for energy, which produces ketones. Ketones are acids that build up in the blood and appear in the urine when your body doesn't have enough insulin. They are a warning sign that your diabetes is out of control or that you are getting sick. High levels of ketones can poison the body. When levels get too high, you can develop diabetic ketoacidosis, or DKA.

Ketoacidosis may happen to anyone with diabetes, though it is rare in people with type 2. Some older people with type 2 diabetes may experience a different serious condition called hyperosmolar nonketotic coma (hi-per-oz-MOE-lar non- key-TOT-ick KO-ma) in which the body tries to get rid of excess sugar by passing it into the urine.

Treatment for ketoacidosis usually takes place in the hospital. But you can help prevent ketoacidosis by learning the warning signs and checking your urine and blood regularly.

What are the warning signs of ketoacidosis?

Ketoacidosis usually develops slowly. But when vomiting occurs, this life-threatening condition can develop in a few hours. Early symptoms include the following:
    •Thirst or a very dry mouth
    •Frequent urination
    •High blood glucose (sugar) levels
    •High levels of ketones in the urine

Then, other symptoms appear:
    •Constantly feeling tired
    •Dry or flushed skin
    •Nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
    (Vomiting can be caused by many illnesses, not just ketoacidosis. If vomiting continues for more than 2 hours, contact your health care provider.)
    •A hard time breathing (short, deep breaths)
    •Fruity odor on breath
    •A hard time paying attention, or confusion

Ketoacidosis is dangerous and serious. If you have any of the above symptoms, contact your health care provider IMMEDIATELY, or go to the nearest emergency room of your local hospital.

How do I check for ketones?

You can detect ketones with a simple urine test using a test strip, similar to a blood testing strip. Ask your health care provider when and how you should test for ketones. Many experts advise to check your urine for ketones when your blood glucose is more than 240 mg/dl.

When you are ill (when you have a cold or the flu, for example), check for ketones every 4 to 6 hours. And check every 4 to 6 hours when your blood glucose is more than 240 mg/dl.

Also, check for ketones when you have any symptoms of ketoacidosis.

What if I find higher-than-normal levels of ketones?

If your health care provider has not told you what levels of ketones are dangerous, then call when you find moderate amounts after more than one test. Often, your health care provider can tell you what to do over the phone.

Call your health care provider at once if you experience the following conditions:
    •Your urine tests show high levels of ketones.
    •Your urine tests show high levels of ketones and your blood glucose level is high.
    •Your urine tests show high levels of ketones and you have vomited more than twice in four hours.

Do NOT exercise when your urine tests show ketones and your blood glucose is high. High levels of ketones and high blood glucose levels can mean your diabetes is out of control. Check with your health care provider about how to handle this situation.

What causes ketoacidosis?

Here are three basic reasons for moderate or large amounts of ketones:
    •Not enough insulin
    Maybe you did not inject enough insulin. Or your body could need more insulin than usual because of illness.
    •Not enough food
    When you're sick, you often don't feel like eating, sometimes resulting in high ketone levels. High levels may also occur when you miss a meal.
    •Insulin reaction (low blood glucose)
    If testing shows high ketone levels in the morning, you may have had an insulin reaction while asleep.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Acg is correct, and even Lyle McDonald explains this in his book.

There is no metabolic advantage to ketogenic diets. They are simply a rapid way of getting rid of water in the body.

Period.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Did you notice the range on those graphs? A 3-second increase in reaction time may be statistically significant, but not physiologically relevant. It's like everyone consistently losing .1 lbs after 3 months. Oooh, statistical significance. Still doesn't matter.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Wait....that was MILLIseconds. Really?? It could have been that the timer for that group was off.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    •Ketones are produced when your body starts burning fat for energy instead of glucose.
    •Dangerously high levels of ketones can lead to diabetic coma or death.
    •Know the warning signs and check urine for ketones, especially when sick.

Ketoacidosis (key-toe-*kitten*-i-DOE-sis) is a serious condition that can lead to diabetic coma (passing out for a long time) or even death. When your cells don't get the glucose they need for energy, your body begins to burn fat for energy, which produces ketones. Ketones are acids that build up in the blood and appear in the urine when your body doesn't have enough insulin. They are a warning sign that your diabetes is out of control or that you are getting sick. High levels of ketones can poison the body. When levels get too high, you can develop diabetic ketoacidosis, or DKA.

Ketoacidosis may happen to anyone with diabetes, though it is rare in people with type 2. Some older people with type 2 diabetes may experience a different serious condition called hyperosmolar nonketotic coma (hi-per-oz-MOE-lar non- key-TOT-ick KO-ma) in which the body tries to get rid of excess sugar by passing it into the urine.

Treatment for ketoacidosis usually takes place in the hospital. But you can help prevent ketoacidosis by learning the warning signs and checking your urine and blood regularly.

What are the warning signs of ketoacidosis?

Ketoacidosis usually develops slowly. But when vomiting occurs, this life-threatening condition can develop in a few hours. Early symptoms include the following:
    •Thirst or a very dry mouth
    •Frequent urination
    •High blood glucose (sugar) levels
    •High levels of ketones in the urine

Then, other symptoms appear:
    •Constantly feeling tired
    •Dry or flushed skin
    •Nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
    (Vomiting can be caused by many illnesses, not just ketoacidosis. If vomiting continues for more than 2 hours, contact your health care provider.)
    •A hard time breathing (short, deep breaths)
    •Fruity odor on breath
    •A hard time paying attention, or confusion

Ketoacidosis is dangerous and serious. If you have any of the above symptoms, contact your health care provider IMMEDIATELY, or go to the nearest emergency room of your local hospital.

How do I check for ketones?

You can detect ketones with a simple urine test using a test strip, similar to a blood testing strip. Ask your health care provider when and how you should test for ketones. Many experts advise to check your urine for ketones when your blood glucose is more than 240 mg/dl.

When you are ill (when you have a cold or the flu, for example), check for ketones every 4 to 6 hours. And check every 4 to 6 hours when your blood glucose is more than 240 mg/dl.

Also, check for ketones when you have any symptoms of ketoacidosis.

What if I find higher-than-normal levels of ketones?

If your health care provider has not told you what levels of ketones are dangerous, then call when you find moderate amounts after more than one test. Often, your health care provider can tell you what to do over the phone.

Call your health care provider at once if you experience the following conditions:
    •Your urine tests show high levels of ketones.
    •Your urine tests show high levels of ketones and your blood glucose level is high.
    •Your urine tests show high levels of ketones and you have vomited more than twice in four hours.

Do NOT exercise when your urine tests show ketones and your blood glucose is high. High levels of ketones and high blood glucose levels can mean your diabetes is out of control. Check with your health care provider about how to handle this situation.

What causes ketoacidosis?

Here are three basic reasons for moderate or large amounts of ketones:
    •Not enough insulin
    Maybe you did not inject enough insulin. Or your body could need more insulin than usual because of illness.
    •Not enough food
    When you're sick, you often don't feel like eating, sometimes resulting in high ketone levels. High levels may also occur when you miss a meal.
    •Insulin reaction (low blood glucose)
    If testing shows high ketone levels in the morning, you may have had an insulin reaction while asleep.

This is only for diabetics. Thanks for the copy/paste though...
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Serotonin (happy hormone) has nothing at all to do with low carb diets.....take this from a psychologist!!!
    I'd take it from a psychiatrist, maybe, but a psychologist has no medical qualifications so why would I care what a psychologist thinks?

Actually, from someone who almost finished a degree in Psychology (but at the last moment realized I would take everyones problems home with me and would get depressed myself), I am calling you out on this one.

When you getting your degree, you learn A TON of stuff about medicine. I had to know every little drug, what was in them, how they affected the different hormones in your body - etc.

Most doctors get little to no more training about FOOD and HORMONES than a Psychologist. You can take that to a bank.

Edit - The last sentence, I mean the effects on foods WITH hormones, not that doctors do not get special training in detail with hormones - obviously.
    I'm in the exact same position as you, actually. That's not the point though. If you have no medical *qualification* (and it's not - that's what psychiatry is) you have no right to refer to your qualification in a misleading way when giving advice.

I learned a lot about health/medicine when studying psychology, too, but I would never quote those studies when giving advice in a forum where people are unlikely to know the difference.

Actually, there's a TON of peer-reviewed literature out there suggesting that a lack of carbohydrates causes the brain to stop regulating serotonin. I do not have a degree in psychology, psychiatry, or osteopathy for that matter... I just read a lot about health and fitness. Here are a few places to start:

* http://www.geneva-health.com/sciencehealth/lowcarb.html'
    * www.psychologythttp://www.geneva-health.com/sciencehealth/lowcarb.htmlday.com/articles/200404/low-carb-state-mind
    * http://aya-katz.hubpages.com/hub/Serotonin-and-Carbohydrates