Words or phrases that should be banned

Options

Replies

• jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My wife just reminded me of one of hers - when she is out with the girls and the waiter says 'Can I get something more for you GUYS'
  • akshayam29
    Options
    ppl saying TAKE IT EASY BRO....for no reason...just dont like it....
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    "just sayin'"
    "you jelly"
    "haters"
    "that awkward moment when"

getting really sick of all those.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    "no worries."
    "OMG." I think I have heard enough OMGs to last a lifetime. As far as "no worries" or "no problem," you are better off just saying nothing.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    "loose weight" - I know this sounds controversial but I really hate it
    "TOM" (I have no idea what is this mean)

Other than that I don't know anything more since I'm not that good with the English language (just my 3rd language actually).
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    "Who does that?"

Ummm, obviously the person to whom you were just referring.
  • Minkime
    Minkime Posts: 41
    Options
    The word "amazing" is so over used.
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I hate text talk. Text me in normal words and sentences WITH punctuation please!! It also drives me crazy when people mix up similar sounding words with different meanings. For example "I except that you don't like this." It's ACCEPT people!!! Grrrrr

^^^Both of these!
    I punctuate and proofread my text messages before sending them. :happy:
    I hate having to read comments five times in order to understand what the person is actually trying to say..:grumble:
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    the word ´mami´ .. when refering a girl you like or you think is hot... I HATE IT... its such a tacky word, grrrrr, when somebody calls me that way I just reply ´hey, I didnt know you were my son´. It really gets on my nerves.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Use of the word "viable" to describe something that's not alive anyway. "It's a viable program." "This option is no longer viable."
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a religious debate, but I feel I have to respond to the idea that the New Testament is about love, happiness, and respect. It is a lot more "calm" than the Old Testament, but it's still pretty bad. We can find a great anti-family verse in Matthew 19 where Jesus says that "every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." That's a love-filled, happy, respectful idea.

In Mark 5 Jesus decides to send "unclean spirits" into 2,000 pigs and forces them to drown in the sea. That's pretty love-filled, happy, and respectful. Luke 12 tells us to fear God because he has the power to commit us to eternal misery. But God loves you. John 3 makes it clear that it really doesn't matter what kind of life you live, but that your afterlife is determined only by your belief. Non-believers will be tortured, and believers will be be eternally happy. That's definitely loving, happy, and respectful.

In Acts 5 God kills Sapphira and her husband for withholding money from him. Loving? This is another good indication of God's "mob boss" mentality. God is basically a very bad man holding a gun to your head saying "believe in me and give me everything or I will pull the trigger." happy?

There are numerous other examples of very unloving, unhappy, disrespectful verses in the New Testament, but I'll leave it at this for now. If you'd like to know the rest please message me so that we don't hijack this topic. :flowerforyou:

I like you
  • Kiminley
    Kiminley Posts: 1
    Options
    Hustle. I hate hustling, and I will not hurry for you. just no.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Also all the damn slang!...

IE: sup, wassup, fo sho, etc... I feel Im in a ghetto neighborhood.

OH, and the word ´sammich´, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.. juggalo/juggalette.. oh my god!, there are a lot of words I hate >.<
  • KrisyKat
    Options
    "no worries."

Please do NOT say this in Hawaii. You'll just end up sounding like a wanna-be local who's trying to speak Pidgin. If you really must try the phrase, say it right...

"NO WORRY!!!" (as in NOH-WHIR-RAY)...you can also follow it with "beef curry" for good measure. :wink:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    the word ´mami´ .. when refering a girl you like or you think is hot... I HATE IT... its such a tacky word, grrrrr, when somebody calls me that way I just reply ´hey, I didnt know you were my son´. It really gets on my nerves.

Er Mami is shortened for "Mamasita" which is our way of saying "you look hot"... We use it all the time as a form of endearment or compliment & not just to address our mother.
  • vlaura
    vlaura Posts: 93
    Options
    I don't like hippies saying "chill out, dude".
    Or "whatever *rolling eyes*".

Stop being a teenager damnit.
  • rgrange
    Options

haha guys in my girlfriend's hometown drive by and yell "hey mami" and other similar colloquialisms at her. I joke with her and start talking to her like that every once in a while
  • KrisyKat
    Options
    "TOM" (I have no idea what is this mean)

It means "time of the month"...as in your period (menses.)

Also known as "Aunt Flo" or "Shark Week"
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    YOLO. Also, retarded (even if you don't mean it in a hurtful way, it hurts people)

Thank you! I have commented many times on the 'r' word and it's good to see someone else advocating to not use it for idiot, stupid, etc. With me, it's personal!!

How's about?
    Moving forward....
  • rgrange
    Options
    "Shark Week"

Almost spit out my beer laughing at that. I've never heard that one before; I'm going to start using it.