Phentermine, Dont Judge Me!

Options

Replies

• sdav1997
    sdav1997 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did it under doctor supervision. the upside of the weekly supervision is that they monitor your blood pressure and other vital signs in the hopes that your pressure is normal. You do get dry mouth, and extra energy. Calorie intake was about 1200 a day divided into 4 to 6 meals.
    To be honest, you can lose just as much with or without it. It is all based on the caloric intake coupled with your exercise. The pills just curb the hunger.
  • Juggie86
    Juggie86 Posts: 16
    Options
    I actually started my weight loss journey on Phentermine. I lost like 30 lbs in 3 months. But you HAVE to change your eating habits and work out, if not you will gain the weight back right away. Use the pill as help not a 100% cure.
    To date I am actually over 40 lbs down and still losing.
    They work for some people and not for others.
    My sisters have lost weight on it, but some of my friends that have taken it have had no luck at all.
    The bad, they made my heart race and made me not want to eat at all. I had to force myself to eat! And dry mouth sucks but at least you drink more water!
  • mudjeff
    mudjeff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck on it as I have never used it. Might a suggest you keep a dairy of how you feel. I'll use me as an example as to why I say this.

For me caffeine was my drug of choice when combine with my allergy medication is was not good for me. I was taking flight lessons and my instructor noticed some days I would be all erratic and others I would by extremely calm. So she had me keep a food dairy and how I felt that day. In this case I had to log how I felt at the start of the lesson and when it was over. She also kept a log. We noticed that any day I had allergy meds I felt just ok and thought I flew ok. she thought I was not as focused. on the days I had caffeine I felt and thought I flew great however she thought I was erratic and when you combined the two I was worse.

So I stop all my caffeine consumption and never took allergy meds 24 hours before any flight and our log match up with how I felt and performed.

In short might want to keep a dairy/log or whatever on how you feel.

Take care
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    200px-Fentermina.svg.png
    Phentermine
    220px-Amphetamine-2D-skeletal.svg.png
    Amphetamine (aka Speed)

For your consideration. I sincerely hope you don't suffer the most severe of side effects. Good luck to you.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have ADHD (actually DO have it, documented and everything, see a doctor, etc.) and I was never medicated for it in the past but during law school I started having problems focusing because I was also working at the time. I know it's not the same drug but it's in the same family - I took a small dose of Ritalin and it worked wonders for my concentration. Caffeine and other stimulants don't really affect me, I can drink coffee right before bed and don't get wired from any of that stuff. Anyhow, I only took Ritalin during my last year of school and during Bar exam study and I developed mild pulmonary hypertension from it, which is high blood pressure in the arteries of your lungs. My doctors knew I was on Ritalin and never said anything, even when I asked if it could be the Ritalin they dismissed it. I stopped it on my own and instantly felt much better - no chest pain, etc. like I was having before. My last echocardiogram was normal. I was sad to have to stop it because it was really helping me, but at the same time I don't need it because I'm not in school anymore and I can manage things on my own if I work hard enough at it. Having that experience scared me because pulmonary hypertension can result in heart failure - there isn't really any medication to take for it. Most people who have it manage, but I was only 26! Anyway long story short, if you're going to take the Phentermine, do it for the limited amount of time and if you start feeling weird or having any kind of strange side effects, stop immediately. Your health is most important.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have taken it in the past. Dry mouth and racing heart. It also gave me sleep problems. As a former drug user, it is very similar to speed. It basically supresses your appetite, that's all. So you still have to count your calories and exercise. Both of those things can be done without the pills.
  • 27Kiana
    27Kiana Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That is not true. When i first started my diet i took phentermine that was given to me by my doctor. I have not took the pills in the last month because i don't need them and know how to control my hunger. So saying that you will gain the weight back is not true at all. If you learn how to eat the right foods at the right time, you will continue to loose the weight. To me phentermine does not work anyway unless i had a low dosage.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Yes lost weight..yes gained it back...2x

good luck
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm not being funny....but unless I'm reading it wrong, you are overweight because you are addicted to food? If that is the case, wouldn't something like hypnosis be more safe? I know here in my neck of the woods they do hypnosis for smoking, and all other addictions including food. Could that be something you could try? I'd be terrified to try something like the pill you are on. :flowerforyou:
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If you are confident you can keep the weight off after the pill why not just go ahead and lose the weight without the pill. Maintaining is a heck of a lot harder than the process of losing. (Mine and others experience anyways.)
    Tried it several years ago. Lost weight but gained back after stopped using it. Also experienced severe dry mouth.

I thought about this and Im confident that I can keep the weight off. I will still continue to track and exercise. Im thinking of this as a good bust, and ty.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hey, I get it... I have been obese my entire life. I realize how difficult it can be. However, keep in mind, all drugs have side effects. I would suggest getting a second opinion, because it never hurts to have another professional take a look at the situation.

Personally, I am having AMAZING success with eating clean - no perservatives, no sugars, no artifical anything... Lot's of veggies, huge meals, real food, organic dairys, etc. I am eating like 1,500 calories/day, getting every type of nutrient a human needs, and I have lost 69 pounds in 4 months. - with just walking as excersize.

I know the despiration you feel, but I don't want you to hurt yourself just because you want to be thin. So try to get a second opinion, weigh your options, track any changes in your body, take your pulse a few times a day, and stop if you don't feel right.

Best of luck
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Phentermine, providing false hopes since 1959!
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I took it about 7 years ago. I lost about 10 lbs a month. My doctor gave me a 1 month trial to see if I liked it. I though It was awesome ans she then prescribed me a 3 month supply. I LOVED it. BUT THEN.... after i quit taking it, i ended up gaining all of the weight I lost back plus more. Looking back, It did suppress my appetite but it did not teach me how to eat. So when I was off of it, I went back to the regular way I ate ( and I found myself VERY hungry).

A couple years later, I had asked my doctor to prescribe it to me again. This time she said she quit prescribing it and gave me a reason like "there was a girl that sued them" or something along those lines. Then when she checked my records, she was surprised she had prescribed it at all to me since at that time I was taking zoloft. She went on to tell me that It could have caused seritonen shock mixing the 2 meds. I googled drug interactions and yup. She was right. I could have died. Sooo,

My advice would be:
    1. Google drug interactions and make sure if you are taking anything else, that you will be ok
    2. If that everything is ok with drug interactions, use this opportunity to retrain yourself on eating nutritious foods and portion control.
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    200px-Fentermina.svg.png
    Phentermine
    220px-Amphetamine-2D-skeletal.svg.png
    Amphetamine (aka Speed)

For your consideration. I sincerely hope you don't suffer the most severe of side effects. Good luck to you.

I was forced to take aderal as early as 4 years old. I took my self off at 18 years old. I know what to look. I do agree its not ideal.
  • vidoardes
    vidoardes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Here is the best way to think about it in my opinion, and this applies to taking drugs for ANY reason at all.

Drugs don't cure anything at all, ever. They simply suppress the issue. Diet tables will suppress appetite, Ritalin will suppress an over-active child, Flu tablets suppress the symptoms of flu, aspirin will suppress pain... I could go on for a very long list. Not a single one of them actually fixes the problem, and when the drugs stop being taken the problem is back unless you solve it in the mean time. Unless you plan to take the drugs till the day you die (which with some medical issues is the case), the problem will come back. The only exception to this rule I believe is antibiotics.

In the case of flu or a headache, your body fixes the problem itself, so you take the drugs to suppress the symptoms while your body mends itself, and stop when you are better. That's fine. With diet pills, the problem isn't fixed by anyone other than your own attitude, and if you are taking pills to "fix" it, you won't do anything else. Whether it is an obsession with food, or lack of self control, or lack of understanding about nutrition, those issues will still be there when you stop taking the drugs, so you WILL put on weight again, 100% guaranteed. If you are serious about loosing weight, changing your eating habits permanently and becoming more active permanently is the ONLY way to fix the problem.
  • slsherwood51
    slsherwood51 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine in 1999, and I was successful in losing the weight. I lost inches faster than pounds while on it. My appetite was almost nonexistent.

I gained the weight back. I tried the pills a couple times after that, and they didn't work as well.

While taking the pills, I had trouble sleeping. I would take them around 6 in the morning and still be up until 2 or 3 a.m.

Personally, I felt like my personality changed while on the pills. I didn't like who I was while on them.

Monitoring your blood pressure is very important when on these pills.

Personally, I liked my initial results. I didn't like that I couldn't maintain the loss. I didn't like who I was while on the pills. I did get tons done though because I hardly ever slept.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I believe that most people can lose weight without the aid of supplements like the one in question. I don't know your medical history, but I'm inclined to say that you can do it without them!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Edited to add that phentermine used to be available in over the counter diet pills about 10-15 years ago (I took some in high school). It has since been made ILLEGAL by the FDA unless prescribed by a physician. I feel like that's a pretty big red flag right there...

I was going to say that I thought you could get it OTC. Part of the reason why it is no longer OTC is because it can be used to make methamphetamine. They made illegal as an OTC to make harder for people manufacturing the stuff to get their hands on it because the process of making meth could cause a pretty big explosion.

Anyway, to the OP, I don't have any judgment in reserve for you for taking this. However, as this poster stated, if you aren't planning on taking this for the rest of your life, then you probably will gain back. You can't just lose on this stuff, and then think that you will maintain it without the drug. At some point, you are going to have to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle that doesn't support weight gain. Also, be aware that phentermine has side effects. It can cause damage to your liver bringing on sclerosis. It is also habit-forming so please just be careful taking this.
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    LOL! My husband would say the same thing!!! it made me very anxious and have little to no patience!
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I will second or third the crankyness. I was super irritable and my friend who took it was so irritable her husband insisted she stop taking it as it was affecting their marriage!
This discussion has been closed.