I am a runner damn it!!! Rant

Options

Replies

• peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Do you know what else I hate? When you are showing off your participant's medal after just completing your very first 1/2 marathon and your asked " Did everyone get a medal?"......REALLY?????? Do not cheapen my experiece!!!!! I did do walk/run intervals! For 21kms!!!!!!! Did I just "run" my very first 1/2 marathon? Why yes, yes I did!!!! Good job to runners everywhere, if you run, you are a runner!!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    you get your run on gurl! studies show that sprint intervals are just as good if not better than jogging constantly. as a matter of fact, straight running temporarily weakens your immune systems and makes you lose muscles, whereas sprint intervals builds muscle and burns more fat. Let haters know!

Um..no it doesn't. where on earth did you ever read that? there is a reason why people who compete at high levels log over 100 mile weeks....because it makes them better runners. Have you seen Deena Kastors arms? That chick is ripped and puts in a ton of time on the road and in the gym.

and FYI: we aren't speaking about sprint intervals....they are talking about run/walk intervals.
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Then I am suddenly feeling pretty good about me....walking a little taller......
  • kortni0915
    kortni0915 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do this too. I'm doing a half marathon in a couple of weeks and I'll tell people I'm running the half marathon and then go back and correct myself and say, well I'm running it with a lot of walking too.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I thought this quote would be appropriate!!

“If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”
    ― John Bingham

This is the exact quote I thought of when I read the thread title. Gotta love that John "The Penguin" Bingham!

I've had friends who've called my running "jogging" or just pick up the "walk" part of my run/walk exercise posting but I don't take it personally. I may never be a marathon runner but I know the difference between a walk and a run and I sure as hell do my very best!
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yes you are a runner!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner too! Exactly, by the sounds of it, like you are. Way to take a stand for us!!
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    That's funny because I recently ran a half marathon and still don't consider myself a runner... mostly because I am only rarely in the mood to run and because I'm still pretty slow.

I am NOT a runner, damn it!

This is me.... no matter how long it takes me to get to the finish line.
  • Lsadlier77
    Lsadlier77 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First of all can I say thank you, as your post has motivated me to get off my bum and go for a run later.

I am a run/walker and I proud of it :happy:
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Do you know what else I hate? When you are showing off your participant's medal after just completing your very first 1/2 marathon and your asked " Did everyone get a medal?"......REALLY?????? Do not cheapen my experiece!!!!! I did do walk/run intervals! For 21kms!!!!!!! Did I just "run" my very first 1/2 marathon? Why yes, yes I did!!!! Good job to runners everywhere, if you run, you are a runner!!

I have been guilty of this. Not because I was trying to say it wasn't a success but they said "my finishers medal" so my thought was "oh, everyone gets one?" She got all upset before I had a chance to say "that's cool, running that far is an accomplishment." I can't wait to get my first finishers metal and I think that anyone who runs a 1/2 marathon (heck even a 5k) deserves one. It's a big deal!

and OP, yes, you ARE a runner! and keep on running
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I do this too. I'm doing a half marathon in a couple of weeks and I'll tell people I'm running the half marathon and then go back and correct myself and say, well I'm running it with a lot of walking too.

I do this on all my races that I had to walk. I was quite proud the first marathon that I ran the entire way. I was even more proud when I was able to RACE my last one.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I agree with the whole thought process of "if you run you're a runner" .. the question for me is why do it if you hate it? I'm sure there are other cardio options you could enjoy (my wife loves Zumba). Or maybe it's a love/hate thing?

Regardless, running is a very personal experience because it's just you .. and only you have the power to define yourself as one or not .. don't give up that power!

Happy running!
  • DMRun
    DMRun Posts: 25
    Options
    OK , I have not read all the replies, but the ones I have read have all supported the original post - and I have to say I completely agree!! I run/walk - John Stanton recommends it, Jeff Galloway recommends it...and they are pros. I've done a 1/2 Marathon this way and there were many many run/walkers. I have no intentions of being an elite runner, I compete against myself, and I enter events to keep me motivated - so what does it matter how I choose to finish/compete?? As one other post mentioned - often the run/walk pace is not far off pace than some who choose to run the entire distance.

We're moving, we run.... WE ARE RUNNERS ;)
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner.. I can't run for crap.. but I COULD be.. like if there was serial killer with a butcher knife behind me or something.. I COULD be a runner!! I REALLY could!! :grumble:
  • blittle2
    blittle2 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I run intervals and I'm darn proud of it. If you are getting out there and doing it then you are a "real runner".

I had a coworker say when I told him my time, which is around a 11:30 average mile, that i was a jogger. It made me mad, get your shoes on and lets go "jog" buddy.

Don't let anyone deminish what you do. You are a runner, you are exercising and you are getting it done. There is no definition anywhere that says, you must run this fast to be a runner. To be a runner you must run.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I run the same way too. Intervals. I would love to be able to run a mile without stopping but have not been able to yet. I do join in 5Ks but i don't run the entire time. I live in Tracktown USA and a lot of people around here walk/run the races even the Eugene Marathon. I don't even want to walk 26.1 miles so I will never join a marathon :happy:
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't run, I am NOT a runner. I was built to go very short distances very fast. I am over 350lbs, but can catch about anyone in 40 yards. I have always thought the elitist runners were a joke...not people that can run long distance or marathons, but those that think it makes them better than you. Not one of them that I have met can pick up 400 lbs......but I can. Does that make me better than them? Only at picking up 400 lbs. They are better than me at running a very long distance and good for them.

But all my happy stuff is here and I don't need to run a marathon to find it.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    You are also apparently a puppy puncher LOL sorry had to giggle at that. It's as if this was written just for you so here you go.

YOU ARE A RUNNER the minute you set foot outdoors and go faster than a walk. Forget all the stuff about jogging, or how fast you have to be, just do it. Have fun out there!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I had such a mental blocki the first time someone actually called me a runner- I was like "no I run but I'm not a runner" I was under that elitist mindset and it was holding me back. Now I am a runner and I do compete and I do place and you know what . . . sometimes I walk!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options

My answer:
    "Nope! Only those who finished the race earned finishers' medals."

To me, you don't get a "participant's medal", you get a participant's T-shirt. You EARN the FINISHERS' medal.

Congrats to all the finishers this season! You all ROCK!!!