Phentermine, Dont Judge Me!

Options

Replies

• MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I started out eating about 1200-1800 calorie and did not exercise. I now exercise about 4 hours a week (2 hour Zumba) (2 30mins at the gym) and eat the same. Somedays I mess up and eat 2000-2500 calories. I loses weight all threw the week and then I gain it back when I go to work. I work 16 hour shifts two in a row, and I can not control my appetite when im there. So I gain back the couple pounds I lost in the week.

Until you can change this yo-yo behavior and REALLY WANT to change your health and appearance phentermine or any other drug will only be a temporary fix. I don't recommend pills unless you have the right fitness and nutritional habits to go with them.

Sorry but you have some work to do still.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    What about oxyelite pro? anyone done this and gotten a kickstart to your metabolism? I ordered it and want to try it for my workout days but I dont know.

I tried this, it didnt feel like it did anything.
    But I WAS a diet pill junkie so that could be why
  • wildmustng87
    Options
    I took phentermine for two months, about two years ago. I did suffer from dry mouth, but that actually got me into the habit of always having water with me! I drink water all the time now and very very rarely do I drink any soda.

The phentermine did help me by decreasing my appetite enough that I got into the habit of eating smaller portions. I did NOT gain my weight back that I lost while taking phentermine, I maintained my weight since then and have just restarted my weight-loss recently. It does give a mild energy boost as well, that gave me enough energy to take my walks in the evenings, even after working all day.

As with any medication, each person may have a different reaction so as others have said, be careful!

Also, take care to use the time you are taking it, to change the way you eat. Use it to help you control portion sizes and start a lifestyle change. You have already lost a lot, so I'm sure you are already working on it!

Best of luck to you! :)
  • toni14301
    toni14301 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow people have issues. Don't you understand obesity is a disease. Try to make my self healthier so I don't die at 50 or under the knife getting GP. It is safe to take as long as you do it with a doctor. Judge if it makes you feel better.

You are not going to get a lot of support here for taking pills...A lot of people here were morbidly obese once and chose this site because it is all about doing it forever...
    If people disagree with you, it does not mean that they judge you....

I do not think that Pills are the answer. Plateaus happen due to the same form of exercise. Your body sees it as normal. I would suggest increasing your intensity of the workout and changing it up. I will agree with the above. Here is a place where people who have dealt with this issue "all natural" no supplements for dieting would want to support unhealthy weight loss - no matter how closely monitored. Those are fads. Also, I have heard that that pill mentioned is really not good for you or your health. Why would you try to get healthy by using something that is NOT healthy for you?
  • PepperGirl1
    PepperGirl1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am not judging only expressing concern. You say you are a binge eater. Taking the pills will not change this. You should address why you are binge eater rather than lookign for an easy way to lose weight. I am not sure that a binge eater will succeed at mainteance as you have suggested. Rather than taking a pill, or at least while you take the pill, you may be better served exploring your food issues with a psychiatrist.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is also prescribed for a mood stabilizer.

This is very true, it does keep the mood stable. The person I know who takes it regularly is constantly a b*tch now.

I so agree with this! I took it for a while in my late 20's (yes, it did work) but I was a completely different person while on it (not for the good). I could pick a fight with a nun! It's not worth the weight loss if no one can stand to be around you! Oh, and PS, I gained all the weight back once I stopped taking! Everyone is different, so just be cautious if you continue to use it!

Ditto my hubby used to tell me all the time they made me mean but i would never believe him. Looking back I totally was a meanie. I've since apologized and am doing it the non medicine route now.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Oh, hang on, its an amphetamine? Gimme!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few times. I never lost nearly as much as I have on my own. Once I asked my Dr about getting a Rx for it, but he said nope. I didn't like the side effects either, I couldn't sleep, had gross dry mouth, and a strange heart beat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Where do lost ponds go?
    I think they discussed this in Fried Green Tomatoes.

I love that! The movie and the food.
    Me too. I have a hard time making them though. I can't get the coating to stick. (To the food, that is. I haven't tried breading and frying the movie.)

I may try breading and frying the movie just to see what happens. Could be a fun night. :-)

I never made them myself. I always get them out. There's a chain seafood place we have here called Harry's that makes some really good ones, but the first time I tried them was in a mom and pop joint in south Florida. I haven't had them in a while. I think I need to do something about that.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert. I don't know much about the drug your doctor is giving you - or how much time you've spent with him.

BUT - from what I've read and seen on MFP and other places, hitting a platueau is a normal part of losing weight. And from what you said about binging/not controling what you eat at work - a pill isn't going to fix that. Once you go off the pill, you still have the same problem.

I hit a platuea back in August. I gained/lost the same 3-5 lbs for months. But then I changed some stuff up and i'm losing again. I've seen this over and over again with other people here. Don't know what causes it. Just that it seems to happen.

So, maybe get a second opinion. Maybe get some therapy to treat the binging issues you have. Maybe try changing up your eating routine and your exercise routine.

24lbs is ALOT. That's about when I hit my plateau too.

Good luck to you!
  • worldgirl28
    Options
    If it really did what it was supposed to do and no one had bad experiences or side effects, then everyone would be taking it. I would suggest re-evaluating your diet and exercise plan with a physician, trainer, and/or nutritionist. Also, if you don't want people to judge you then don't post things on the internet; internetland can be a brutal place.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I JUST posted my story in the success forum (here if you want to read, totally not whoring out my thread, LOL: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/565646-60-lbs-gone-got-some-new-manly-muscles-too

I took phentermine for 2-3 weeks. My doc gave it to me because I was absolutely down in the dumps about getting healthy and needed something, ANYTHING, to give me some quick motivation. I was thrilled when she prescribed it. Then I started taking it. Ugh.

The first thing I noticed were the jitters. Not bad jitters but an inside rattling. It definitely served its purpose in taking away my appetite...I went a full day without eating...then felt sick. So I ate McDonalds. Nice eh? Anyway...I lost some weight quickly - but it was really all water weight. The low calorie diet I ended up being on since I wasn't hungry couldn't have been any good for my lean body mass. :/ But what was even worse was the RAGE it brought out in me. I became a ticking time bomb ready to explode at anyone who crossed my path the wrong way. My husband would come home from work - see the very clean house - and hear my snide remark and know that I had taken phen that day. It got ugly.

Anyway - I got off of it. Just wasn't for me. I found that by taking in a moderate calorie diet (1500-1700 cal without exercise or 1700-1900 with exercise) I lost weight consistently and happily! :D No rage moments because I wasn't eating. :) You'll find your groove and you CAN do this without meds!
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My cousin took this and her doctor put her on it and she lost 24 lbs in matter of months! She looks great and seems happier but she doesn't work out AT ALL so all the weight she lost was from the pills..... BUT once she stops taking it I assure you she'll gain it all back and then some....

I NEVER been the type to tell others anything about how they lose it.

But to me as long as you're not starving your self and your eating healthy and stay active (regularly) your weight wil come off, eventually... Hard work does pay off :bigsmile:

I think if you feel it's going to help you then do what you feel... People need help in their own ways... People drink protein shakes, people take Ibuprofen for pain, people drink beer, some smoke, people do HCG diets, Atkin diets whatever the case is?

This is the way I think of it... If you're not hurting anyone else, you're not forcing anyone to do it with you and you're the one that has to live with your end results...do what you please!!

So good luck to you and if it doesn't work you can always do what every one else says! Diet and workout!

:-)
  • kelif5959
    kelif5959 Posts: 202
    Options
    Phentermine is also prescribed for a mood stabilizer.

This is very true, it does keep the mood stable. The person I know who takes it regularly is constantly a b*tch now.

I so agree with this! I took it for a while in my late 20's (yes, it did work) but I was a completely different person while on it (not for the good). I could pick a fight with a nun! It's not worth the weight loss if no one can stand to be around you! Oh, and PS, I gained all the weight back once I stopped taking! Everyone is different, so just be cautious if you continue to use it!

Ditto my hubby used to tell me all the time they made me mean but i would never believe him. Looking back I totally was a meanie. I've since apologized and am doing it the non medicine route now.

AMEN......almost got divorced over it!!! (like you, I didn't realize I was being a big ole' b**ch at the time).
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I myself have never wanted to try any diet pills. All they are is a quick fix. To me the healthiest way is to eat right and exercise. May come off slower but you normaly keep in off longer and there are no long term side effects. That being said though....it's your body and you can do whatever you like. I don't agree with people filing lawsuits later in life with side effects they get from diet pills. You know the consequences and no one made you take them. Good luck with whatever you decide
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    I currently am on a "medically managed weight loss plan" through a doctor's office (no, she's not family practice, either) and the clinic there offers plans that are amino acid based and phentermine based. I did not choose the phentermine, but I have friends who have. I take the amino acids three times a day and get a B12 injection once a week. On either plan, you have to track your calories and your activity and stay within certain guidelines depending upon your plan. The doctor told me that it really doesn't matter which plan you are on (phen or aminos) because the key is DIET and EXERCISE. Keeping up with what goes in and what is expended in exercise is the key. By following all the doctor's recommendations, I've lost 35 pounds in 2 months and 2 days. Good luck in your pursuit. :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, much less your doctor, and I've only researched the drug on the Internet many moons ago (and decided that, for me, it was wrong), so take my opinion for what it is...

First, if your doctor has prescribed it for you, I'm sure he's done all of the checks and everything and your heart and other organs are otherwise healthy, and that you are otherwise fine? The potential side effects of taking a strong stimulant, both physical and psychological, are not to be trifled with.

Second, you still have to count your calories. The drug will make appetite control a little easier and artificially raise your metabolic rate by introducing a flow of stimulant. When the drug runs out (this is a temporary drug - long term use of it is really nasty), you will have bought yourself some "effort free" weight loss but your appetite will be used to a much higher caloric level. So use this time you've "bought" to up your exercise and learn some ways to control your appetite.

Third, you said in a later post that your only real problem was the weekends when you work heavy shifts and cannot control your appetite, and that you are actually losing weight on the weekdays. Fair enough - but why not try something a little safer first? On the weekends, pack your own meals to work (if you have a locker) or at least try a strong-flavored gum (I prefer cinnamon) as a safe appetite suppressant?

If you're looking at a strong stimulant, you could also try drinking black coffee on the weekends, all stimulants have a certain level of appetite suppression - and caffeine is a lot safer due to the lower dosages. Combine black coffee, lots of water, and a strong-flavored gum and you'll probably find your appetite is a lot easier to control, all with safe, readily-available stuff with few side effects and very low risk.

Is there a specific reason you feel the need to accelerate your weight loss by resorting to this drug? Does your doctor feel that your weight is more of a risk than the potential side effects of the drug?

I don't know you, I don't know your history, I don't know your weight, and I'm not your doctor. So maybe you've explored all of these options. But I figured a few "pre-drug" suggestions might be helpful.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you. Best of luck!
  • Browneyedchica82
    Options
    I took phentermine for about 9 months straight. My doctor was "monitoring", but I realize now that he was sort of a quack. He checked my blood pressure once a month when I went in for a refill, and that was it. I did lose about 40 lbs while taking it and consuming 1000 calories a day and exercising for at least 1 hour a day. (it was a bit extreme in hindsight) The majority of my weight loss occurred during the first 3 months of being on the appetite suppressant, but then I hit a plateau, as my body became use to the medication. I started to have side effects such as mood swings, headaches, exhaustion, insomnia, so I stopped taking it. Some of the weight came back, but the biggest side effect of quitting was the constant feeling of hunger. No matter what I ate, I wouldn't feel satisfied. Be very careful with your doctor. You should only take it for 3 months straight, then get off for 3, on for 3, etc. I know this now, but I made the decision to eliminate weight loss drugs from my regimen, because I don't feel like they are a long term solution. Good luck if you decide to try it. Make sure you do a lot of research, and stop taking it if you don't feel right.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Find the path that works for you! This is your personal journey...just always have better health as your ultimate goal :flowerforyou:
    Peace,
    Cami
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I started out eating about 1200-1800 calorie and did not exercise. I now exercise about 4 hours a week (2 hour Zumba) (2 30mins at the gym) and eat the same. Somedays I mess up and eat 2000-2500 calories. I loses weight all threw the week and then I gain it back when I go to work. I work 16 hour shifts two in a row, and I can not control my appetite when im there. So I gain back the couple pounds I lost in the week.

If eating too much while at work is your biggest issue, I would suggest preparing for that....
    You know you have a 16 hour shift - prepare proper calorie controlled meals beforehand, pack a cooler with you food and snacks and drinks for the day and take it with you....
    Do you have access to a microwave to heat it up and a fridge to leave the cold stuff? Then you have NO excuse not to do it...

Not sure what your job is, but there are very few places that a packed lunch (with ice packs or heat packs) can't go - you do get a lunch and coffee break somewhere inbetween don't you?
    good luck - and especially good health, because you are putting your health in danger with that stuff.....

This!!!!!

If you are doing okay when you aren't at work and then you binge at work...no amount f diet pills are going to help. You have to workon your weight issues from the inside out. There is obviously some other issue going on that causes yu to binge. Maybe try a psychologist and get to the root. Diet drugs are not safe nor are they necessary. Looking for the quick easy fix is the EASY way out. Do it right this time Soyuz don't have to do it again down the road after you stop the drug and gain it all back. Not meaning to sound negative or anything but you will gain it back. Fix the problem don't look for the quick fix!
This discussion has been closed.