I am a runner damn it!!! Rant

Replies

• tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    I started running last October with the C25k plan. I've done a few 5ks and 2 10ks and will be doing my first 1/2 this Sunday. So here's thing.....the first couple 5ks and the first 10k I did, I was DETERMINED to run the whole thing and NEVER, EVER walk because I thought it would negate all the "running" I did if I took a walk break. Stupid. Anyhoo, the 2nd 10k, (which was exactly 1 month after the first one, I decided to incorporate a few walk breaks because I am planning to do that for my half. I wanted to see how it would impact my "time". Guess what? I took walk breaks and still shaved over 2 FULL MINUTES off my time! And you wanna know something? I AM A RUNNER!!!! And you are, too!
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    I AM A 200.2 POUND EX-SMOKER AND A FREAKING RUNNER!!!

I did my first 5K in October and I ran 2 miles and walked one. I walked an 8K in November. I RAN a 5K on April 1st without stopping....On Sunday I completed the Big House Big Heart 10K in Ann Arbor Michigan! I didn't stop running the entire time. I was slow. I actually was running with two women that were walking most of the race. But when I ran through the tunnel and onto the University of Michigan football field and crossed the finish line on the 50 yard line I would have DARED you to deny my runner status! My time was 1:30:37 at a 14:30 minute mile pace.

I AM A RUNNER!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Do you know what else I hate? When you are showing off your participant's medal after just completing your very first 1/2 marathon and your asked " Did everyone get a medal?"......REALLY?????? Do not cheapen my experiece!!!!! I did do walk/run intervals! For 21kms!!!!!!! Did I just "run" my very first 1/2 marathon? Why yes, yes I did!!!! Good job to runners everywhere, if you run, you are a runner!!

I have been guilty of this. Not because I was trying to say it wasn't a success but they said "my finishers medal" so my thought was "oh, everyone gets one?" She got all upset before I had a chance to say "that's cool, running that far is an accomplishment." I can't wait to get my first finishers metal and I think that anyone who runs a 1/2 marathon (heck even a 5k) deserves one. It's a big deal!

and OP, yes, you ARE a runner! and keep on running

I actually hate finisher's medals.
    I give them all to my daughter to play with.

IMHO Medals should only be for podium placement. I'd much rather save $5 or what ever on entry fees than get a medal for finishing 5th in my AG.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Do you know what else I hate? When you are showing off your participant's medal after just completing your very first 1/2 marathon and your asked " Did everyone get a medal?"......REALLY?????? Do not cheapen my experiece!!!!! I did do walk/run intervals! For 21kms!!!!!!! Did I just "run" my very first 1/2 marathon? Why yes, yes I did!!!! Good job to runners everywhere, if you run, you are a runner!!

My answer:
    "Nope! Only those who finished the race earned finishers' medals."

To me, you don't get a "participant's medal", you get a participant's T-shirt. You EARN the FINISHERS' medal.

Congrats to all the finishers this season! You all ROCK!!!
  • peej76
    Excuse me, let me rephrase!! My FINISHER"S MEDAL!!! And I did finish!! And coming where I have came from I was proud to have that medal hung around my neck!!!!
  • peej76
    Oh yeah, and thanks for reminding me this is why I stopped visiting this site!!!
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    I'm so grateful for this post! I've been an interval runner for some time, and didn't even know it was called that . . . I was just doing what I could do! It's encouraging to hear that there are experts who recommend this is a healthier and more beneficial way to do it. I'll keep on with what came naturally!
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member

I did my first 5K in October and I ran 2 miles and walked one. I walked an 8K in November. I RAN a 5K on April 1st without stopping....On Sunday I completed the Big House Big Heart 10K in Ann Arbor Michigan! I didn't stop running the entire time. I was slow. I actually was running with two women that were walking most of the race. But when I ran through the tunnel and onto the University of Michigan football field and crossed the finish line on the 50 yard line I would have DARED you to deny my runner status! My time was 1:30:37 at a 14:30 minute mile pace.

I AM A RUNNER!

Congratulations you ARE a runner! Don't give up! I'm doing my first 10K this Saturday!
  • You are a runner! Keep on truckin at however you feel is right for you. My daughter is training for a marathon and she does interval run walk to build up endurance. This is her 2nd one to do, so I figure she knows a little something about running. I am at a 4 mile run myself at 3.5 mph and I started out at only 2 miles at 3mph. The exercise chart tells me I am walking at 3.5 mph but I have to beg difference my legs are short so I am running, thank you very much.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    "quote]
    Excuse me, let me rephrase!! My FINISHER"S MEDAL!!! And I did finish!! And coming where I have came from I was proud to have that medal hung around my neck!!!!
    [/quote]"

The above will not quote correctly for me :(.

Umm.....i think you totally misunderstood this answer. It can happen.:smile: Please Re-read, I think TriJoe was actually offering congrat's to you on the finish. The "answer" was to your nay-sayers. I suspect this because i'm overweight and it's taken me nearly a year to get to "run" a 5k. Trijoe has been a great encouragement for a lot of that time.

For myself: Actually i don't consider myself a runner. Jogger maybe, on good days when the knees hold out. :bigsmile: When i can't- i walk...Really, I :heart: the experience and couldn't care less if someone thinks otherwise.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member

I AM A RUNNER!

I think you are fantasic!
  • If we are not running..what are we doing? I pick my legs up and put them down. :D
  • peej76
    I totally did misunderstand, please forgive my totally off the wall overexaggeration! All is good!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Oh, you're fine! And yes, all is good! You're a FINISHER!!! You're a WINNER!!! You're in inspiration! You're somebody worth admiring.

Again, congratulations!
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Oh, you're fine! And yes, all is good! You're a FINISHER!!! You're a WINNER!!! You're in inspiration! You're somebody worth admiring.

Again, congratulations!

My dad owns a trophy shop here in town. He makes me medals and plaques for all four of the races I have done....I am going to have him make me one of those plaques with many engraved plates on it so I can have him engrave the race name/distance/date and my time on it! I am 44 years old. Give me shiny things!!!!
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    So, you all should love this current ad, it's a little controversial in the "runners world"

http://www.wearenotjoggers.com/book.html
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    So, you all should love this current ad, it's a little controversial in the "runners world"

*splutters tea everywhere*

Though I think I'd rather go with their " runners find bodies in detective dramas" definitions than the 7-minute mile one!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    i agree with OP
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member

*splutters tea everywhere*

Though I think I'd rather go with their " runners find bodies in detective dramas" definitions than the 7-minute mile one!

ouch..that article.
    i JOG 5ks...runners can get over it. we all had to start someplace. i've seen plenty of 'runners' on treadmills (because i see them at the local 5ks), i see them using ipods too, and i think its article is a big advertisment for shoes.

ps..edit..stoopid me you said it was an ad...
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    I assumed the ad was tongue in cheek?