Everyone who eats 2500+ calories!

Options

Replies

• bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Um, this thread already looks sabotaged, but yes, I eat around 2,500 calories most days.

I train hard for endurance training and need that to maintain my fitness.

For example, I have a 4 hour run on Saturday, I'm probably going to burn around 2500 - 3000 calories that day alone.

Happy to have healthy, fit friends who work hard and keep inspiring me :)
  • playnice77
    playnice77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    .... I dont know why people keep mentioning 'sympathy', she doesnt want sympathy, she wants to connect with others who are also trying to gain a few pounds :s. Whats the problem?
    This website is made to help us reach our fitness goals, and that includes those who may have dropped below what they consider to be a healthy weight for them and want to put on a couple pounds.
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    Options
    I kind of think this is not the right website for you. Not gonna get alot of replies or sympathy because you can't gain wait. Might want to look for a different website that's more geared to your 'problem'.

This is a pretty crappy response.

I'm here to lose. My fiance is here to gain. Putting "problem" in quotation marks was over the top rude. I know first hand from watching my fiance that to him..it is a problem. He's a skinny guy. Just like a lot of women feel this need to be thin he feels like he's too skinny..like guys are supposed to be bigger. How dare you? Who are you to judge? This is MY FITNESS PAL. Not My Weight Loss Pal. While the majority of people on here are here to lose there are those who are using this site to bulk up, recover from an eating disorder..whatever. Everyone's purpose for this site is their own.

OP..my fiance's user name is kitchelt. He'd love to know some people who are trying to gain like him :-)
  • OvOv
    OvOv Posts: 50
    Options
    Can someone help me about diet chart. What should I eat in my daily routine to gain weight.

depends on what your "problem" is...are you having a tough time eating enough calories? For me 2500 calories is a cake walk...seriously.

Some ideas...

1. cook oatmeal/cereal in milk, add in 2-3 tbsp peanut butter and 1 tbsp maple/honey/agave ~ 550-600 calories
    2. saute or top all veggies/salads w/ 1 tbsp olive oil--adds 120 calories
    3. eat 3-4 oz nuts/seeds a day which is basically 1/2 to 2/3 cup...not hard at all- 480-640 calories
    4. choose low bulk foods--corn/peas/carrots over broccoli/cauliflower for example
    5. have a fat with every snack/meal --hummus, olive oil, tahini, nuts, avocado, guacamole, etc.
    6. drink your calories if you're struggling--a cup of milk, smoothie made w/milk, yogurt, fruit, pb, etc.
    7. top pasta/potatoes/rice/etc with 2oz low fat cheese = 140-200 calories

Be careful about adding fats- yes they add calories, but they also add fats, cholesterol. They have other complications. It's really good to stick to about 20% fat calories in your diet. For gaining weight, good whole-grain carbs will also be your friend, but you want a lot of protien to be the bulk of your diet generally . even 50% of it.

Remember, when you want to gain weight, you don't just want to put on rolls of fat; some fat is normal and healthy, but you don 't want it to get out of hand.

Where are you getting your information? Dietary fat DOES NOT make you fat. You can eat up to 35% fat and be just fine. This is a common misconception and is quite unfounded.

"Keep total fat intake between 20 to 35 percent of calories, with most fats coming from sources of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids, such as fish, nuts, and vegetable oils."

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/recommendations.htm

Saturated fat intake should be restricted to 10% or less of your calories but total fat can be much greater than 20%.

also supported by the mayoclinic...

"Recommendation: Limit total fat to 20 to 35 percent of your daily calories. Fat has 9 calories a gram. Based on a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet, this amounts to about 400 to 700 calories a day, or about 44 to 78 grams of total fat. Emphasize unsaturated fats from healthier sources, such as lean poultry, fish and healthy oils, such as olive, canola and nut oils. Limit less healthy full-fat dairy products, desserts, pizza, burgers and sausage, and other fatty meats. "

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200

She speaks the truth...fats are essential!

I wish everyone would just realise that all fat isn't saturated fat!!
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 2000-3000 calories a day. At the moment I am trying to lose body fat and gain muscle for endurance sport. I of course do a lot of cardio too...
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    .... I dont know why people keep mentioning 'sympathy', she doesnt want sympathy, she wants to connect with others who are also trying to gain a few pounds :s. Whats the problem?
    This website is made to help us reach our fitness goals, and that includes those who may have dropped below what they consider to be a healthy weight for them and want to put on a couple pounds.

^^^ agreed! ^^^

we are here for different reasons, MFP has a great app and is a very good social media site, this is the perfect place for someone who wants to be more healthy.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 3,500 - 4,000 per day. If I eat less than 3,000 I start losing weight. I'm working to bulk and it is a lot of work for me to gain any weight. I've done a ton of research on nutrition lately and think I'm on a pretty good track right now, but I'm always looking to add like-minded friends on here and learn from their experience.

What's with the hating, folks? At least be funny about it. Now go back and enjoy that quarter of a hard boiled egg while I stuff my face at this delicious Las Vegas buffet.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I kind of think this is not the right website for you. Not gonna get alot of replies or sympathy because you can't gain wait. Might want to look for a different website that's more geared to your 'problem'.

Rude.

agree. rude.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am marathon training so right now I try to eat at least 2000 a day, days I burn over 1,000 it is around 2500-2700 intake, net is a different story but that's because of the cal burns from endurance training. I find it very tough some days to eat that much in healthy food just simply due to eating whole grain full of fiber etc. But overall, I do well. MY current challenge is upping protein to 25% and lowering fats to 20%, mainly to avoid losing any muscle mass/strength I gain from my strength training while increasing my miles. I am aiming to maintain where I am therefore I make sure I net at least 1500 everyday if not more! YOu are definitely not alone in eating a lot to gain or maintain :-)
  • CrystalGetFitJackson26
    Options
    I remember when I was 18 years old a lot of heavy set people use to try and make me feel bad for being skinny and it was because of them that I started drinking Ensure for older people that can't keep weight on them, After about 3 months I had gain 30 lbs taking me from a healthy 117 (working out everyday, running 3+ miles per day) to a 137 and after 6 months I weighed 167 and it kept going up from their now here I am at 25 yrs old weighing182 lbs! trying to loose it all. Yep under weights get it too, smh this is a website to track what you eat and we all should be supporting and encouraging one another to progress in what ever our goals are.
    Lesson learned here: be what makes you happy not others.
  • freckledbean
    Options
    If you're trying to gain weight, make sure it's the right kind of calories!

Nutritionally, you want to stay away from sugars, and fats, and red meats, things like that.

You want to focus on protein rather than carbs, Fish, eggs (egg whites to keep the cholesterol down!), Soy. Chicken/turkey are okay, but pork and beef should be eaten sparingly

You can get away with as much as 20 % of your daily caloric intake from fat- but make sure it's "good" fat (olive oil, grapeseed oil, avocado, etc.). And remember that's 20% of calories, not 20% of your diet. :D 1 tablespoon of olive oil is ~120 calories; 2oz of salad dressing is 4 times that amount, so keep that in mind.

For Carbs, if you're trying to bulk up, you're going to want to have some carbs and a lot of protien. The carbs you want to choose are the more complex starches. Potatoes are not too bad, but really the best for cabs are whole-grain products, be it pasta, bread, brown rice. Whole grains tend to have the more complex starches, higher nutritional content, and for people of a certain age the fiber is nice too. Definitely minimize the simple sugars.

Also don't forget- I'm guessing you're not looking to gain fat, but would rather muscle weight: Don't forget to combine strength exercises with cardio exercises. Healthy weight gain is hard to do without BOTH.

I am incredibly jealous of your problem btw, and I am not afraid to admit that a small part of me hates you for it ;) But that said, I really wish you the best of luck in achieving your goals!

EDIT: yeah, despite being overweight myself, I actually have a college degree in this stuff, Nutrition and food science, So I do know what I'm doing here. Which means I really have no excuse being so overweight! :p

Sorry but this is bull****
    I will agree with one thing - fat is important. Although it isn't classified into "good" or "bad," more like "saturated" and "unsaturated," and both kinds have a place in most everyone's diets, particularly those who are underweight, still growing, and do not have heart disease. You cannot choose whether your body gains fat or muscle based on the foods you eat. Muscle can be built up through exercise once the body has reached a healthy weight. Those who are gaining, like anyone else, should be aiming for balance rather than fearing or cutting out or restricting food groups/macro-nutrients.
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    right now im 2300... which is close! :tongue:
  • OvOv
    OvOv Posts: 50
    Options
    If you're trying to gain weight, make sure it's the right kind of calories!

Nutritionally, you want to stay away from sugars, and fats, and red meats, things like that.

You want to focus on protein rather than carbs, Fish, eggs (egg whites to keep the cholesterol down!), Soy. Chicken/turkey are okay, but pork and beef should be eaten sparingly

You can get away with as much as 20 % of your daily caloric intake from fat- but make sure it's "good" fat (olive oil, grapeseed oil, avocado, etc.). And remember that's 20% of calories, not 20% of your diet. :D 1 tablespoon of olive oil is ~120 calories; 2oz of salad dressing is 4 times that amount, so keep that in mind.

For Carbs, if you're trying to bulk up, you're going to want to have some carbs and a lot of protien. The carbs you want to choose are the more complex starches. Potatoes are not too bad, but really the best for cabs are whole-grain products, be it pasta, bread, brown rice. Whole grains tend to have the more complex starches, higher nutritional content, and for people of a certain age the fiber is nice too. Definitely minimize the simple sugars.

Also don't forget- I'm guessing you're not looking to gain fat, but would rather muscle weight: Don't forget to combine strength exercises with cardio exercises. Healthy weight gain is hard to do without BOTH.

I am incredibly jealous of your problem btw, and I am not afraid to admit that a small part of me hates you for it ;) But that said, I really wish you the best of luck in achieving your goals!

EDIT: yeah, despite being overweight myself, I actually have a college degree in this stuff, Nutrition and food science, So I do know what I'm doing here. Which means I really have no excuse being so overweight! :p

Sorry but this is bull****

Er...most of the advice seems pretty sound to me. Which bit are you referring to?
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    Can someone help me about diet chart. What should I eat in my daily routine to gain weight.

depends on what your "problem" is...are you having a tough time eating enough calories? For me 2500 calories is a cake walk...seriously.

Some ideas...

1. cook oatmeal/cereal in milk, add in 2-3 tbsp peanut butter and 1 tbsp maple/honey/agave ~ 550-600 calories
    2. saute or top all veggies/salads w/ 1 tbsp olive oil--adds 120 calories
    3. eat 3-4 oz nuts/seeds a day which is basically 1/2 to 2/3 cup...not hard at all- 480-640 calories
    4. choose low bulk foods--corn/peas/carrots over broccoli/cauliflower for example
    5. have a fat with every snack/meal --hummus, olive oil, tahini, nuts, avocado, guacamole, etc.
    6. drink your calories if you're struggling--a cup of milk, smoothie made w/milk, yogurt, fruit, pb, etc.
    7. top pasta/potatoes/rice/etc with 2oz low fat cheese = 140-200 calories

Be careful about adding fats- yes they add calories, but they also add fats, cholesterol. They have other complications. It's really good to stick to about 20% fat calories in your diet. For gaining weight, good whole-grain carbs will also be your friend, but you want a lot of protien to be the bulk of your diet generally . even 50% of it.

Remember, when you want to gain weight, you don't just want to put on rolls of fat; some fat is normal and healthy, but you don 't want it to get out of hand.

Where are you getting your information? Dietary fat DOES NOT make you fat. You can eat up to 35% fat and be just fine. This is a common misconception and is quite unfounded.

"Keep total fat intake between 20 to 35 percent of calories, with most fats coming from sources of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids, such as fish, nuts, and vegetable oils."

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/recommendations.htm

Saturated fat intake should be restricted to 10% or less of your calories but total fat can be much greater than 20%.

also supported by the mayoclinic...

"Recommendation: Limit total fat to 20 to 35 percent of your daily calories. Fat has 9 calories a gram. Based on a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet, this amounts to about 400 to 700 calories a day, or about 44 to 78 grams of total fat. Emphasize unsaturated fats from healthier sources, such as lean poultry, fish and healthy oils, such as olive, canola and nut oils. Limit less healthy full-fat dairy products, desserts, pizza, burgers and sausage, and other fatty meats. "

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200

She speaks the truth...fats are essential!

I wish everyone would just realise that all fat isn't saturated fat!!

right?! i purposely take coconut oil capsules (i make them myself) every day!!!
  • freckledbean
    Options
    Oops, that sounded kinda bratty. I do agree gainers shouldn't be shoveling down fast food and desserts all the time, but I've eaten a huge variety of foods - mainly healthy because it's what I prefer - and I've been really happy with my results so far. Especially since I'm recovering from anorexia and that can get messy. So yeah, you can enjoy yourself, gain the "right" kind of weight whatever that is, and look good all while not always eating the "right" foods

PS dietary fat is the love of my life
  • jpfost
    jpfost Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am only in the 2000- 2200 hundred range. You can me if you like.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

^^^^
    THIS
  • mrmatt91
    mrmatt91 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey, I'm new here as well, and I generally try and eat about 3000-3500 calories a day, I'm going to start bulking soon and found this site and thought it might be a nice way to meet others and track my progress. I also lost about 40 pounds 2 summers ago, so add me if you'd like to know anything about gaining / losing weight.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Guess we're not THAT much of a minority after all :)
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd bump as these threads are few and far between.
    4000 cals a day for me.