~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    This group is pretty tight. I eat cleanly majority of the time but I do have a weak spot for diet soda. Starting today I'm going to have one can a day as a treat and thats it. :D

Good for you! I did the same thing. I used to be a Diet Coke addict. 3 1/2 yrs ago I gave up Diet Coke for my New Year's Resolution. Just quit cold turkey. I was totally amazed when my headaches (after the first couple days of withdrawal!) dwindled away! I was at the point where I constanly had headaches and suffered w/ migraines also.

I still drink my coffee, but I drink it black. :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    OK Clean Eaters. I was just thinking of everyone setting a goal for each week. Just think of *one* thing that you can cut out that isn't as clean or replace it with something cleaner. Think of it and post it and we'll start a new goal each Monday. How does that sound? Baby steps, one thing at a time! :bigsmile:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    K, I'm pleased to announce that I have finally lost weight...5.2 lbs! This is my thinnest time of the month, (my weigh in), I've now enjoyed CE and sticking to my calories properly, for almost 2 weeks. I feel and look better. Only thing is, maybe you guys know, I haven't been able to strength train either for that time. Muscle loss too?:huh: (about 3 weeks).
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Alright ladies..I've got a little dilemma-haha..not really, but I am planning a trip to the mall with my friend tomorrow and we are going to Applebee's for lunch-any suggestions? I want to stay fairly low-carb..I have been looking online...and so far I think maybe the Grilled Shrimp Skewer Salad or the Grilled Chili-lime Chicken Salad-Any thoughts? I don't want to be obsessive-I'm just trying to be careful and have not gone out to dinner since I started tracking my meals...so I'm kinda scared! lol..please help!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options

neeter, do you think you are not eating enough? You eat pretty well so you should be losing more. How much more you need to lose? I think you said about 10lbs correct? You might want to change your workouts a bit, make some more intense. Are you lifting?

I went to Whole Foods today, first time. I was overwhelmed. :laugh: I was also in shock with the prices. :noway: :noway: I know, heard and read that organic is supposedly better for you, I am not really totally convinced, but OMG, do organic products have to cost 3-4 times more than the non organic products?? :noway: :grumble: My husband was with me and we did not have much time. So I need to go back with at least a couple of hrs to read ingredients, nutrition labels, etc. :laugh: Who was it that said this could be a full time job??? I totally agree!!! :laugh:

Alf... I am happy to report that today the scale was back down!! Yesterday it said 137.4 but today it said 135.2! That makes a lot more sense because I really have been doing everything perfectly, at least compared to my past up-and-down diets/splurges. I think it was just that my TOM was still sticking around when I thought it was over and done with. So now I have lost 5 pounds and I have another 10 pounds to lose. My workouts are very intense... mostly cardio but I have recently been trying to make sure I get in more lifting, so that may have helped. I see physical results a lot faster with weights than with cardio -- but I love the adrenaline rush of a long, fast run.

I think you are right that I should eat more though... my calories still come in under 1200 net too often. We are going camping this weekend so it should be interesting to see how I manage to eat clean while everyone is gobbling down burgers and hot dogs and beer!! I am bringing fruits and veggies and the low carb tortillas and turkey (deli but at least it's fat free) etc. I am going to allow myself a "splurge" of smores around the campfire. I figure that will help up my calorie intake :wink: and I aslo plan to do a long run tomorrow with my dog, so I will really have a lot of extra calories to work with.

I agree about organic food being expensive, and clean eating being time-consuming. I was just telling my boyfriend last night that I think I would need to make this my job to do it correctly, or hire a personal chef!
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    I'm frustrated today because the scale has gone *up* a bit instead of down. I have a whole "venting" post about it. I am determined to keep eating clean even if I never lose another pound. But it would be nice to lose another pound, then another pound, then another, etc. :wink:

OK, how much were you up??? A pound or 2? Just remember that your body fluctuates. Don't get discouraged. I just weighed my 32oz water bottle and it weights over 2 pounds!! So just think if you had more water in you, that could easily fluctuate. You are doing great. Don't get down, just keep at it. And I agree w/ Annette, maybe even up by 100-200 cals and see??

Also, you had Subway which is higher in sodium and you ate later. So... a lot of factors come in to play with the scale!

Jess

I was only up half a pound, ha ha ha. But I wanted to be heading down and I was afraid the scale would start creeping back up! I guess I am just going to have to trust the process better. I too was thinking about the Subway. Thanks for the help.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    OK Clean Eaters. I was just thinking of everyone setting a goal for each week. Just think of *one* thing that you can cut out that isn't as clean or replace it with something cleaner. Think of it and post it and we'll start a new goal each Monday. How does that sound? Baby steps, one thing at a time! :bigsmile:

I love the idea - sounds great to me. I don't have an idea yet - but will come up with one :)
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

I love the idea - sounds great to me. I don't have an idea yet - but will come up with one :)

I like the idea too -- I have pretty much cut out/way down on all the "evils" like sugar, white flour, alcohol, soda, etc. But I would like to make sure I drink more water. I can think of a couple other goals too.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I was only up half a pound, ha ha ha. But I wanted to be heading down and I was afraid the scale would start creeping back up! I guess I am just going to have to trust the process better. I too was thinking about the Subway. Thanks for the help.

*smack* Half a pound??? Seriously?? That's a glass of water! :laugh: Just teasin'! You know the scale is not the best indicator of your progress!!! Just keep at it! :drinker:
  • lilangel7671
    Options
    Hey there again..I am about to plan out my meals for tomorrow..any suggestions on the Applebees thing? I just want to make a good decision..I know one meal probably won't matter but honestly I am trying to stay good with it:blushing:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Post-workout:
    Medium banana
    1 c. plain yogurt + 1/2 c. blueberries + 1/4 c. NP Pumpkin Flax Granola

Lunch:
    Small La tortilla w/ Laughing cow light cheese & 3oz chicken breast & tomato
    Mushrooms scrambled w/ 1/2 c. eggbeaters + 1 egg
  • Vlox08
    Vlox08 Posts: 13
    Options
    We used to have a Clean Eating thread, and have some interest to start again!

Anyone is welcome to join whether you are just starting or clean eating is your lifestyle!!

Basically, CE is cutting out the white flour/ sugar, eating every few hours, focusing more on fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins, low-fat dairy, and good fats!

I've always wanted to "eat clean" but still don't feel like I could. I have bad cravings for sugar and bad foods. Even though, for the most part I eat pretty healthy.

I'd love to see what your food diary looks like Jessmomof3! =D
  • re_define
    Options
    Hey there again..I am about to plan out my meals for tomorrow..any suggestions on the Applebees thing? I just want to make a good decision..I know one meal probably won't matter but honestly I am trying to stay good with it:blushing:

Anytime I go to applebee's anymore (which is rare) I get their oriental chicken salad with plain grilled chicken, no crispy noodles and dressing on the side, the half size. It might not be the cleanest meal but it's better than most options and it's a pretty big salad and fills me up due to the grilled chicken and sliced almonds. It's especially better than getting chinese food which is why I usually go to Applebee's when the craving hits and get this salad because it completely satifies the craving.
    I hope I helped a little!
  • lilangel7671
    Options
    Thanks re-define, you definitely did help! I will take any suggestions you have! I am set on getting one of the salads I just don't know which one to choose and what to leave out of them/what is ok to splurge with and leave on..I usually do get my dressings on the side because I don't like my salads drenched..so that's no problem..Another question for re-define-say I do get that salad, How do you usually log that salad into MFP?
    Keep the ideas coming! I'm searching for the healthiest option! lol Thanks
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

*smack* Half a pound??? Seriously?? That's a glass of water! :laugh: Just teasin'! You know the scale is not the best indicator of your progress!!! Just keep at it! :drinker:

Yes ma'am. :wink: I can be so silly sometimes. I wanted the scale to go down at least half a pound in a week, not UP. But actually I guess it did go down, it just wasn't reflected yesterday.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    I don't like Applebees but I am thinking they must have some kind of fish or chicken dish with steamed veggies on the side? That's what I usually look for at any restaurant... or salad of course. Good luck. For what it's worth I think every meal matters. I have to have that mindset or I would slip back into "what's one 'splurge'??" mode. I read a quote from Weight Watchers that said something like, instead of thinking, "Just this one time I'll have one", start thinking, "Just this one time I won't have one." That was really helpful for me when it came to thinking about which meals matter... they all do! (This isn't to say I never splurge. Just that I do a lot less often now and I try to make as many of my meals clean as I can. I also like the saying "eat what you SHOULD eat 90% of the time, and what you WANT to eat 10% of the time.")
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Here are my eats/exercise for yesterday (Thurs Aug. 27):

7 am (had to be at work early):
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1/2 banana
    25 blueberries

10 am:
    Nonfat plain yogurt
    Few slices cantelope
    15 almonds

Noon:
    6 inch Subway black forest ham sub
    with pepperjack cheese and vinegar & oil

Workout - 1:30 pm:
    Day 2 of Jillian Michaels' Making the Cut workout
    I did each circuit twice.
    1 hour workout.

3 pm:
    Large salad made of baby spanich, cucumber slices, 1/4 avocado, and chopped tomatos
    2 oz grilled tilapia fillet
    1 tbsp Asian sesame dressing

6 pm:
    Cantelope slices and grades
    Leftover salad, with 2 oz chunk light tuna in water

9 pm:
    2 oz grilled tilaplia fillet
    Grilled fresh green bell pepper, tomatos, and green beans
    2 tbsp salsa

I ate about 1550 calories and burned 500 so that's only 1,050 net calories. Otherwise I am pretty happy about the day's eats.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Any ideas for clean eating while camping? My boyfriend always makes breakfast burritos on the campfire, so I am bringing my low carb whole wheat tortillas for that, he also got fat free turkey and lean ham deli meat for us, and fat free cheese slices. He got some frozen potatoes and surprisingly the ingredients/ nutritional info doesn't look that bad, about 80 calories in 2/3 cup, no fat, pretty low carbs, okay protein. So I will have a little bit of potatoes in there, plus green chili.

We also bought chicken to grill so really I'm just looking for sides/snacks while everyone else is eating Cheetos and drinking beer. I was thinking of buying some protein bars since they're easy to bring, a couple cans of tuna, and cutting up some veggies and bringing some bananas and apples, and maybe an orange or two because that makes me feel like I'm drinking Blue Moon even when I'm not. :laugh: Any other ideas? I *am* going to splurge and have a smores but other than that I want it to be as clean as possible.
  • re_define
    Options
    Thanks re-define, you definitely did help! I will take any suggestions you have! I am set on getting one of the salads I just don't know which one to choose and what to leave out of them/what is ok to splurge with and leave on..I usually do get my dressings on the side because I don't like my salads drenched..so that's no problem..Another question for re-define-say I do get that salad, How do you usually log that salad into MFP?
    Keep the ideas coming! I'm searching for the healthiest option! lol Thanks

I broke down the salad ingredients once before when I first started getting it to calculate the calories, you can search for applebee's asian garden salad, 1/2 salad (that's what i entered it as). Not including the crispy noodles or dressing, the salad is 357 calories.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Any ideas for clean eating while camping? My boyfriend always makes breakfast burritos on the campfire, so I am bringing my low carb whole wheat tortillas for that, he also got fat free turkey and lean ham deli meat for us, and fat free cheese slices. He got some frozen potatoes and surprisingly the ingredients/ nutritional info doesn't look that bad, about 80 calories in 2/3 cup, no fat, pretty low carbs, okay protein. So I will have a little bit of potatoes in there, plus green chili.

We also bought chicken to grill so really I'm just looking for sides/snacks while everyone else is eating Cheetos and drinking beer. I was thinking of buying some protein bars since they're easy to bring, a couple cans of tuna, and cutting up some veggies and bringing some bananas and apples, and maybe an orange or two because that makes me feel like I'm drinking Blue Moon even when I'm not. :laugh: Any other ideas? I *am* going to splurge and have a smores but other than that I want it to be as clean as possible.

Fruits like apples, bananas, grapes, peaches, etc are a good idea. Are you taking a cooler? You could take cottage cheese and yogurt, string cheese, etc. Some almonds or nuts. Cutting up veggies is a good idea too. Grilling chicken is a great idea. Enjoy the S'More!