~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    g'mornin all!

cool, cloudy and very wet here for 2 days now...hope my new 'energy' level can pull me thru the dreariness. i am still so excited i came upon this thread....you guys are so helpful and it is makin my crap to clean transformation so much easier! :happy: again, thanks for all your advice, positive comments, and sharing recipes!

jess ~ yum! your dinner yesterday! luv grilled burgers and cuke's! :tongue:

have a good 'clean' Thursday! :bigsmile:

Mornin'! LOL @ the crap to clean transformation! You can do it!

Oh, man, those tomatoes on the burgers were delish!!! And I love fresh cucumbers too. YUM! I think it will be a repeat tonight! :laugh:

It's supposed to rain here today finally. I've gotta go mow before it does rain! It was muggy this morning when I ran!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thursday!! Almost the weekend and almost September already??? :huh: How did that happen?

Well, I did my usual Thursday 5 mile run w/ my buddies. Then did Max Recovery (Insanity) afterwards. Nice stretch!

Pre-run:
    Mela Access bar

Breakfast:
    Medium banana
    Usual oatmeal w/ blueberries
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    I just ate my peach-blackberry smoothie and am having a few moments of quiet with the cats on my lap :smile:

I am so excited, yesterday I signed up for the intro personal trainer package, I get 3 sessions!! I never had a PT before--I am going to start working on my core and building some muscle mass to help burn that fat! My first session is a week from today woohoo!:happy:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    I just ate my peach-blackberry smoothie and am having a few moments of quiet with the cats on my lap :smile:

I am so excited, yesterday I signed up for the intro personal trainer package, I get 3 sessions!! I never had a PT before--I am going to start working on my core and building some muscle mass to help burn that fat! My first session is a week from today woohoo!:happy:

Sounds like a great deal!!! Hope it goes well. I would love to do that sometime too.

Really had a great day yesterday. Eating healthy just makes me feel good. However, it is making grocery shopping more of a chore. I spent far too much time there last evening, I'm sure once I'm in more of a habit it will get easier, right now I'm examining everything, trying to make the best choices, looking for new healthier options but still finding things my daughters will eat. It could be a full time job!!! I love all the great ideas coming on this thread.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options

neeterskeeter ~ is your lowfat carb tortilla whole wheat? organic? when i looked at my tortilla corn chips they didn't look too bad as far as ingredients...or are they? and i would assume these are the more healthier chips out there?

I love my tortillas, which I buy at a local co-op but I think they are available nation-wide. Here is the link to the La Tortilla Factory website, specifically to the tortillas that I eat: http://www.latortillafactory.com/jadworks/ltf/jwsuite.nsf/ViewSelection/26D37C24E4814A3B8825723B006711A5?Open&site=Home*ViewSelection=Products**dl

Yes, they are whole wheat. They aren't organic but La Tortilla Factory does make an organic version. They have only 50 calories, 2g of fat, 5g of protein, 11g of carbs, and 8g of fiber. They are small compared to the "regular" tortillas I used to eat, but that's okay with me because I try to limit my intake of carbs that are from grains rather than from fruits and veggies. Even if I were really hungry and had two tortillas, I still think that's pretty healthy. (I usually have one a day, with either my peanut butter and banana wraps for breakfast, or my turkey or chicken wraps for lunch). Here is the ingredient list:

Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Oat Fiber, Soy Bean Flour, Cold Pressed Canola Oil And/Or Safflower Oil, Contains 2% Or Less Of The Following: Baking Powder (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate), Sea Salt, Yeast, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Citric Acid, Sorbic Acid, Calcium Propionate (To Maintain Freshness).

I hope this helps. They are more expensive than regular tortillas (about $3.60 for a package of... 10 I think) but to me it's worth it. BTW I think they taste really yummy too. Here is a website I found about them when I was looking up their ingredients: http://www.answerfitness.com/7/fit-food-of-the-day-la-tortilla-factory-low-carb-tortillas/
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    My eats/exercise for yesterday (Wed. Aug. 26):

8:30 am:
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 scoop protein powder, chocolate
    (this was leftover from Tuesday's oatmeal makings!)
    25 blueberries
    1 banana

11 am:
    Grilled tilapia fillet
    Baby spinach
    Baby carrots
    Cucumbers
    Chopped green peppers

Workout- noon:
    30 min tempo run
    First 7 min at 10:30 pace
    Middle 15 min at 8:45 pace
    Last 7 min at 10:30 pace then small cool-down
    3 miles total

1:30 pm (tried to eat within 45 minutes of finishing workout):
    La Tortilla Factory low-carb low-fat whole wheat tortilla
    About 2.5 oz grilled chicken tenderloin
    About 1 oz grated jalapeno gouda cheese
    20 grapes
    4 strawberries

3 pm:
    1 cup non-fat plain yogurt
    18 almonds
    25 blueberries

6 pm:
    1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
    8 baby carrots
    6 foot Black Forrest Ham Subway sub on whole wheat
    with pepperjack cheese
    and sm amt vinegar & olive oil dressing
    sm amt cantelope and grapes

(My boyfriend and I stopped at Subway on our way to our friend's house for a poker game, but then I got so hungry later in the night! Maybe because I'm used to eating later in the evening. I ate a little bit of our friends' cantelope and grapes. Then when we got home I was ravenous so I added):

11 pm:
    1/2 a banana
    2 bites of a chocolate chip cookie
    1 cup decaf chocolate hazelnut hot tea, plain

Beverages:
    8 glasses of water
    1 cup black coffee
    (hot tea, above)

I ate 1,800 calories and burned off 350, for a net total of 1,450. This is 225 calories higher than my net calorie target of 1225... but my average net calories per day for the past 7 days is only 1,165, which is still too low.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    I'm frustrated today because the scale has gone *up* a bit instead of down. I have a whole "venting" post about it. I am determined to keep eating clean even if I never lose another pound. But it would be nice to lose another pound, then another pound, then another, etc. :wink:
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I have heard mention of clean eating in other threads before but I didn't know exactly what it was but it seems I have been doing it for the most part for the last two months. I cut out all junk, MSG, added sugar, caffeine (chocolate/pop/tea/coffee) and alcohol.

I mostly eat 7 grain bagels & whole wheat bread, lean meats, fat free milk, low fat cheese sticks, fresh fruita and fresh vegetables. The only time I have white flour is when I am in a time crunch and have chicken fajitas from mcdonald's.

I do eat every few hours so I have 5 mini meals a day and drink 2-3 litres of water a day.

I have lost 25lbs over the last 2 months as a result.

I will have to look up the CE magazine since I have never heard of that either.

Take care all,
    Tammy
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Pre-run:
    Mela Access bar

Breakfast:
    Medium banana
    Usual oatmeal w/ blueberries

Snack:
    1 c. yogurt + 1/2 c. blueberries + 1/4 c. Pumpkin Flax Granola (Nature's Path)

Lunch:
    4oz chicken breast
    Broccoli, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, vinaigrette

Snack:
    1 c. organic Clifford Crunch cereal + 4 oz skim milk
    1/2 c. plain yogurt + 1/4 c. blueberries + 1/4 c. Dark Chocolate Almond Granola.(Cascadian Farms)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Welcome derocco!! :drinker: :drinker: Congrats on losing 25lbs and making the change to a healthier lifestyle!! :drinker:

Jess, I am baking the banana bread as I type and it smells soooooo good already. I changed some things a bit and omitted others. I did not add cocoa powder, chocolate chips and wheat germ. I added 1/3 cup of egg whites for the 2 eggs or 1/2 c eggbeaters. I added 1/4 c chopped walnuts instead of 1/2 c. I mashed three small ripe bananas. I wasnt sure what size bananas you use and I usually buy the small ones so I added three instead. I did not add a dash of salt. I only added 1/2 c of brown sugar, no white sugar. I dont mind if it is not very sweet. Everything else stayed the same. According to my calculations on Sparkrecipes it is as follows:
    Cals 194 (12 slices hopefully)
    fat 7
    sat fat 3
    poly 1.4
    chol 13
    sodium 231
    potassium 143
    carb 28
    fiber 3
    sugar 4
    protein 5
    Vit C 4% Calcium 5% Iron 4%

I will let you gals know how it tastes once it comes out of the oven. I am not sure if I will be eating any tonight. I worked out this morning but I feel like going out for a walk. I am not sure it is still very hot out there and it is 7:25, 99 degrees :noway:

neeter, do you think you are not eating enough? You eat pretty well so you should be losing more. How much more you need to lose? I think you said about 10lbs correct? You might want to change your workouts a bit, make some more intense. Are you lifting?

I went to Whole Foods today, first time. I was overwhelmed. :laugh: I was also in shock with the prices. :noway: :noway: I know, heard and read that organic is supposedly better for you, I am not really totally convinced, but OMG, do organic products have to cost 3-4 times more than the non organic products?? :noway: :grumble: My husband was with me and we did not have much time. So I need to go back with at least a couple of hrs to read ingredients, nutrition labels, etc. :laugh: Who was it that said this could be a full time job??? I totally agree!!! :laugh:

Have a great evening!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I love my tortillas, which I buy at a local co-op but I think they are available nation-wide. Here is the link to the La Tortilla Factory website, specifically to the tortillas that I eat: http://www.latortillafactory.com/jadworks/ltf/jwsuite.nsf/ViewSelection/26D37C24E4814A3B8825723B006711A5?Open&site=Home*ViewSelection=Products**dl

Yes, they are whole wheat. They aren't organic but La Tortilla Factory does make an organic version. They have only 50 calories, 2g of fat, 5g of protein, 11g of carbs, and 8g of fiber. BTW I think they taste really yummy too. Here is a website I found about them when I was looking up their ingredients: http://www.answerfitness.com/7/fit-food-of-the-day-la-tortilla-factory-low-carb-tortillas/

I like the La Tortilla also, they are either called low-carb or Smart & Delicious high fiber. I buy the large and the small, there is an 30 calorie difference (the large is 80 cals and 12g fiber!). I buy them at Meijer or Kroger.
    I also buy the Sabra brand whole grain tortillas for my dh and kids (my dh doesn't like the taste of the low-carb). These come in a big package from Sam's Club and have 100 cals.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm frustrated today because the scale has gone *up* a bit instead of down. I have a whole "venting" post about it. I am determined to keep eating clean even if I never lose another pound. But it would be nice to lose another pound, then another pound, then another, etc. :wink:

OK, how much were you up??? A pound or 2? Just remember that your body fluctuates. Don't get discouraged. I just weighed my 32oz water bottle and it weights over 2 pounds!! So just think if you had more water in you, that could easily fluctuate. You are doing great. Don't get down, just keep at it. And I agree w/ Annette, maybe even up by 100-200 cals and see??

Also, you had Subway which is higher in sodium and you ate later. So... a lot of factors come in to play with the scale!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Dinner:
    La tortilla small tortilla w/ a laughing cow light cheese wedge & 4 oz chicken breast,
    and sliced tomatoes
    Cucumbers and onions in vinegar

Snack:
    Cocoa w/ skim milk
    1/2 oz mixed nuts

Total:
    2,100 cals (141 left)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to ask, I bought some agave nectar from the bulk section. They had these little plastic bottles to put them in. Do I need to refrigerate it? How do you guys use it besides putting it in the coffee? I hear so much about it I decided to try it when I saw it. Do they sell La Tortilla products in Whole Foods? Next time I go I need to bring a list and go aisle by aisle. Anyone here shops at Whole Foods?

The banana bread is delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already warned my husband that he can only have one slice a day. You should have seen the look in his face. :laugh: I messed up and just cut up 11 slices. I couldnt resist and ate the smallest one. :noway: It is moist and tasty. It really did not need more sugar than 1/2 cup (brown sugar). The nutritional content was a little bit higher but I entered both in the database. If you need to use it look for Annette's cream cheese banana bread. One will say 11 slices, the other one will say 12 slices.

Good night!! :yawn: :yawn: :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Oh, forgot to ask, I bought some agave nectar from the bulk section. They had these little plastic bottles to put them in. Do I need to refrigerate it? How do you guys use it besides putting it in the coffee? I hear so much about it I decided to try it when I saw it. Do they sell La Tortilla products in Whole Foods? Next time I go I need to bring a list and go aisle by aisle. Anyone here shops at Whole Foods?

The banana bread is delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already warned my husband that he can only have one slice a day. You should have seen the look in his face. :laugh: I messed up and just cut up 11 slices. I couldnt resist and ate the smallest one. :noway: It is moist and tasty. It really did not need more sugar than 1/2 cup (brown sugar). The nutritional content was a little bit higher but I entered both in the database. If you need to use it look for Annette's cream cheese banana bread. One will say 11 slices, the other one will say 12 slices.

Good night!! :yawn: :yawn: :flowerforyou:

Oh, good!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!! I had thought about using less sugar in there. I don't always add the cocoa powder and I haven't been adding walnuts to it lately. But I have to have the mini choc. chips in there for my kiddos! :laugh:

Agave nectar can be used in any place you might need a sweetener. I know some people use it on their oatmeal or in their plain yogurt (I don't mind and am used to eating mine plain!). It's similar to honey.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    oh that banana bread sounds good!! I'll be at my mom's house this weekend--it's my sister's 50th b-day!! I can't believe it. Saturday we're having bbq chicken and flank steak with melon and corn on the cob, so I should be able to eat healthy. I just need to watch out for the desserts! Hope you all have a good weekend
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I went to Whole Foods today, first time. I was overwhelmed. :laugh: I was also in shock with the prices. :noway: :noway: I know, heard and read that organic is supposedly better for you, I am not really totally convinced, but OMG, do organic products have to cost 3-4 times more than the non organic products?? :noway: :grumble: My husband was with me and we did not have much time. So I need to go back with at least a couple of hrs to read ingredients, nutrition labels, etc. :laugh: Who was it that said this could be a full time job??? I totally agree!!! :laugh:

Have a great evening!! :flowerforyou:

That is why I buy my organics at stores like Meijer and Kroger. They even have their own store brands which are WAY cheaper. I do go to the natural foods store here (we don't have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods) for bulk steel cut oats and a few other things, but otherwise they are WAY overpriced!! And I don't buy everything organic. I wish!!

And it does get easier once you get used to buying certain things.
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Really had a great day yesterday. Eating healthy just makes me feel good. However, it is making grocery shopping more of a chore. I spent far too much time there last evening, I'm sure once I'm in more of a habit it will get easier, right now I'm examining everything, trying to make the best choices, looking for new healthier options but still finding things my daughters will eat. It could be a full time job!!! I love all the great ideas coming on this thread.

Good for you! Yes, it does get easier once you get used to it. It took some changes to my family's diet as well, but now they are so used to whole grains, brown rice, oatmeal, fruits, veggies, etc. They come home from school and tell me about their friends eating white bread, chips, cookies, and drinking Capri Suns for their lunches. :huh: My 10yo has been really making good choices, even when with friends.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

That is great! I'm sure you will enjoy working w/ a PT. Did I mention that I'm getting my own PT certification??? I am excited about it!! :bigsmile:
  • dachinababe
    Options
    This group is pretty tight. I eat cleanly majority of the time but I do have a weak spot for diet soda. Starting today I'm going to have one can a day as a treat and thats it. :D