~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to "eat clean" but still don't feel like I could. I have bad cravings for sugar and bad foods. Even though, for the most part I eat pretty healthy.

I'd love to see what your food diary looks like Jessmomof3! =D

Well, I found once I got used to cutting out the sugar, I didn't crave it anymore!

I just figured out how to make my diary public to friends only. :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thanks re-define, you definitely did help! I will take any suggestions you have! I am set on getting one of the salads I just don't know which one to choose and what to leave out of them/what is ok to splurge with and leave on..I usually do get my dressings on the side because I don't like my salads drenched..so that's no problem..Another question for re-define-say I do get that salad, How do you usually log that salad into MFP?
    Keep the ideas coming! I'm searching for the healthiest option! lol Thanks

I broke down the salad ingredients once before when I first started getting it to calculate the calories, you can search for applebee's asian garden salad, 1/2 salad (that's what i entered it as). Not including the crispy noodles or dressing, the salad is 357 calories.

I haven't been to Applebee's in a while, but I have had the Asian chicken salad before. Same thing- no noodles, salad on the side, etc.
  • Vlox08
    Vlox08 Posts: 13
    Options
    How do you know if foods have MSG or HFCS (and what HFCS?) and preservatives?

I'd LOVE to stay away from those yummy boxed and frozen food that supposedly last 2 years. LOL
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Any ideas for clean eating while camping? My boyfriend always makes breakfast burritos on the campfire, so I am bringing my low carb whole wheat tortillas for that, he also got fat free turkey and lean ham deli meat for us, and fat free cheese slices. He got some frozen potatoes and surprisingly the ingredients/ nutritional info doesn't look that bad, about 80 calories in 2/3 cup, no fat, pretty low carbs, okay protein. So I will have a little bit of potatoes in there, plus green chili.

We also bought chicken to grill so really I'm just looking for sides/snacks while everyone else is eating Cheetos and drinking beer. I was thinking of buying some protein bars since they're easy to bring, a couple cans of tuna, and cutting up some veggies and bringing some bananas and apples, and maybe an orange or two because that makes me feel like I'm drinking Blue Moon even when I'm not. :laugh: Any other ideas? I *am* going to splurge and have a smores but other than that I want it to be as clean as possible.

Fruits like apples, bananas, grapes, peaches, etc are a good idea. Are you taking a cooler? You could take cottage cheese and yogurt, string cheese, etc. Some almonds or nuts. Cutting up veggies is a good idea too. Grilling chicken is a great idea. Enjoy the S'More!

Thank you, Jess. Yes I will have a cooler so I will take yogurt and string cheese, maybe some natural peanut butter too for the fruits. Great ideas!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options

I'd LOVE to stay away from those yummy boxed and frozen food that supposedly last 2 years. LOL
    HFCS = High Fructose Corn Syrup. It will be on the label of the packaged food.
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Read labels. MSG (monosodium glutamate), HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), and partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats) are things I try to avoid at all costs!

Yeah, the boxed meals and frozen dinners are not the healthiest choices!! :noway:
  • Vlox08
    Vlox08 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks ladies! =D
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    It's the weekend! Don't take a break and splurge just because it's Saturday. :laugh:

Pre-run:
    Mela Access bar

6.2 mile run

Breakfast:
    Medium banana
    Usual oatmeal

2 cups of coffee and 40oz water so far!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I did take advantage of the weekend and extra time to make a fabulous veggie frittata this morning, YUM!!! Very clean, all natural, very filling.

Now spending my morning cleaning and organizing my kitchen. Can't believe how dirty a refrigerator gets - YUCK!!! Getting rid of all the bad sauces, dressings, spreads that have been living there unused for a while. Gonna be great when I get it done.

Hope everyone has a great day!!
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I did take advantage of the weekend and extra time to make a fabulous veggie frittata this morning, YUM!!! Very clean, all natural, very filling.

Now spending my morning cleaning and organizing my kitchen. Can't believe how dirty a refrigerator gets - YUCK!!! Getting rid of all the bad sauces, dressings, spreads that have been living there unused for a while. Gonna be great when I get it done.

You've inspired me! I'm gonna clean my fridge today too! <smile!> I think there's some bottles of stuff we haven't been able to use since my oldest daughter was diagnosed with MS last year! (We control her MS through diet and exercise and are legume/dairy/gluten-free)

And today, we get a new box of fresh, organic fruits and veggies from our local farmers!!! Abundant Harvest Organics http://www.abundantharvestorganics.com I LOVE picking up the boxes of goodies from them; it's like Christmas!! hehe!!
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    hi everyone
    i have a question
    how would one go about starting to eat clean? i know that might sound odd but i've read JM master your metabolism and looked through a few posts on here but how do you start off? ive tried a couple of times but i always go in full force and then end up bingeing on sugar after a couple of days - to a week.
    ive already stopped having fizzy drinks and micro-meals but thats as far as ive got

katie
    x
  • mushy2
    mushy2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good for you, I limit my girls to the amount of crisps and choc they eat. they have 1 choc bar & a couple of sweets per week and 1/2 pkt crisps every other day. I always keep plenty of fruit in and if they feel hungry they always go for the fruit.

The problem is me, I dont eat fruit much, I dont drink much and need to change my eating habits. I snack while they are at school or in bed I did really well at slimming world was really dedicated then i couldn't go anymore due to change of work and my motivation has gone even the kids dont motivate me but they should.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    hi everyone
    i have a question
    how would one go about starting to eat clean? i know that might sound odd but i've read JM master your metabolism and looked through a few posts on here but how do you start off? ive tried a couple of times but i always go in full force and then end up bingeing on sugar after a couple of days - to a week.
    ive already stopped having fizzy drinks and micro-meals but thats as far as ive got

katie
    x

I would start by reading labels. What are you eating? Is it real food or *Frankenfood* as Jillian says?
    Try just keeping tabs on each meal, and then trying to make it *cleaner*. Maybe just start with breakfast, then once you get breakfast down, move to lunch, etc. If you feel like sugar, try fruit! Sounds simple, and I know it can be difficult at times, but just do what you can!
  • jessmomof3
    Options

I love frittatas! Yum! I did that last week, cleaned out the fridge and tossed some *old* stuff. Happy cleaning! :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Snack:
    1 c. plain yogurt + 1/2 c. blueberries + 1/4 c. Vanilla crunch cereal (Cascadian Farms)

Lunch:
    Chicken quesadilla ~ 3oz chicken breast, Laughing cow light cheese, 2% colby jack, on WW tortilla
    Broccoli & tomato
    Peach w/ 1/2 c. cottage cheese + cinnamon
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    hi everyone
    i have a question

katie
    x

I would start by reading labels. What are you eating? Is it real food or *Frankenfood* as Jillian says?
    Try just keeping tabs on each meal, and then trying to make it *cleaner*. Maybe just start with breakfast, then once you get breakfast down, move to lunch, etc. If you feel like sugar, try fruit! Sounds simple, and I know it can be difficult at times, but just do what you can!

At the moment i have either bran flakes with semi skimmed milk or quaker oatmeal with semi-skimmed milk and chocolate chips - i know i should take the chocolate away but i need something sweet to give more taste to the oatmeal
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I ended up getting the grilled chili-lime chicken salad at applebees (carside to go! we ran outta time-haha) I had treated myself to new pair of kicks though- Nike Shox+! That definitely helped my run today:happy: I was pumped haha! Quick thought- anybody want to share their post-workout recovery drinks? or snacks?, whatever you like to do-I'd like some ideas. Going running is new to me and I just decided to add in a recovery drink (ex: today I did skim milk with hershey sugar free chocolate syrup-:blushing: ) and some whey protein powder because I heard chocolate milk is very good post-workout..any other suggestions?
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! :drinker: :drinker: My husband and I went out for a jog/walk this morning and did 12 miles. :noway: 1,111 cals burned. :drinker: :noway: So, lots to eat today....:laugh: BUT confession time...went to Cracker Barrel :devil: I went for lunch but I wanted breakfast. I did not eat all my pancakes, that was good. But I had a couple of corn muffins...:noway: So, that was my not clean meal today.

Pre-workout - sm banana and 1/4 of a prot bar.
    Breakfast - plum, steel cut oats, walnuts and chocolate protein powder. coffe with skim milk and agave nectar.

Lunch - :devil: Cracker Barrel :devil: Also had 2 eggs and turkey sausage patties with my pancakes...:noway:

Snack - homemade trail mix, 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder ( so yummy!!!)

I dont know what I will eat for dinner and I still have a lot of cals to eat.

lilangel, a recovery drink is not really necessary after a workout. You can have a clean balanced meal with good carbs, lean protein and good fat. I usually have my usual breakfast after I workout like the one mentioned above. Or you can drink just a regular protein shake if you dont want to eat more. Or if I workout after breakfast I usually have a whole grain english muffin with 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter or almond butter and perhaps a protein shake. You may also have a protein shake with milk and fruit all mixed together.

Curvykatie, welcome, just take it one day at a time. Start slow but be as consistent as possible. You can get a lot of questions answered here by the members who are 100% clean eaters. I am not but I am getting there. :wink:

Take care! :flowerforyou:
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Well, as of today, I'm back on track with eating right and exercising! I'm back to following the advice in Mark Bittman's book "Food Matters" For breakfast I had...

1/2 c oatmeal
    20 blueberries
    10 roasted almonds
    1/2 teaspoon blueberry syrup

1 large cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon sugar in the raw and 2 tablespoons organic half and half

I feel good!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Well, as of today, I'm back on track with eating right and exercising! I'm back to following the advice in Mark Bittman's book "Food Matters" For breakfast I had...

1/2 c oatmeal
    20 blueberries
    10 roasted almonds
    1/2 teaspoon blueberry syrup

1 large cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon sugar in the raw and 2 tablespoons organic half and half

I feel good!

Good for you! I love starting my day w/ a healthy bowl of oatmeal! :bigsmile: I've never heard of Food Matters. Is it a good one??