~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options

Replies

• artichoke
    Options
    Glad to hear a good review on that salmon corn chowder...I'm making it this week!

I live alone and typically make 2-3 dishes each week to divide up, freeze and have on had as leftovers. I spread out the nights that I cook that way, and also tend to not eat the same dish 4 meals in a row!!

It's great to be able to grab lunch out of the freezer in the morning, toss it in the fridge or on the counter when I get to work and have it be ready to re-heat by lunch time.

Sometimes, I also will run accross the street and get a garden salad to split over two days and have as a side to my leftovers.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I've just discovered the beauty of raw cacao nibs and powder!!! I made an amazing "shake" tonight with them!

1 can coconut milk
    1 tsp peppermint oil
    5 Tbsp organic raw cacao powder
    2 Tbsp organic raw cacao nibs
    2 Tbsp organic blue agave nectar
    2 Tbsp Hemp Protein Powder
    2-3 cups of ice

Blend

4 servings

Cacao/cocoa is sooooooooooooooooo good for the body! It's packed full of nutrients! It's the single most dietary source of magnesium!

So, ladies, enjoy your "chocolate!"

http://www.rawcacao.com/
  • feedme
    Options
    Yes, I have the GoodToscaReno Clean eating book and cook book too. The recipes are good however, I feel they are too complicated and too many ingredients. You will be in the kitchen all day, even though she claims not to be - maybe she has a chef!. Also, some of her ingredients are not available where I live (Hawaii). Maybe they are more common in Canada. Anyway, I am on the look out for a CE SIMPLE cook book. I love to cook healthy meals, but I have a life as well...I want to try the Jillian Michaels books too they sound good. Good sub for diet coke - ZEVIA made with stevia. The root beer is good, but the cola doesn't do it for me.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yes, I often prepare a batch of chili or rice or whatever and freeze individual servings...my freezer is stocked up now. I hope it lasts a while since I will be so busy!!

Yep, I do the same thing. I'm in the mood for chili now that the weather has gotten chillier!!! Chili is awesome, you can make it pretty clean, and it's very filling! I even send it in my dd's thermos to school, she loves chili! :bigsmile:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Ymmmm - Chili sounds really good. I did make some Lentil soup to eat this week for lunches, so good and ward.

I'm really loving this thread - thanks for starting us off Jess!!! I can't tell you how much better I feel everyday. I also think this gets a little easier every day. With all of the great suggestions on here I'm able to easily come up with something to make that is healthy and good :)
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Does anybody have an alternative to low sodium V8?

I've been busy all morning so for breakfast I had 1 slice Nature's Promise Whole Wheat bread toasted with 1 tbs Nature's Promise peanut butter and a glass (5.5oz) of V8. For those of you in the Northeast, Stop and Shop's line of all organic food "Nature's Promise" is a great alternative to other pricey brands. I haven't used a product yet that I didn't like...

In a nutshell, Mark Bittman's book "Food Matters" is a plan for responsible eating that is good for the planet and your health. It has been called "Vegan Until 6" because eating this way has you cut out animal products for two out of three meals a day and really focuses on eating vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes. It has over 75 easy to follow recipes and a sample 4 week meal plan. I first borrowed the book from the library, but after reading it, decided to buy it!

Happy Tuesday!

Mary
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've been twiddling w/ my foods to try to get a 40-30-30 ratio of macronutrients, sometimes I'm too high on fat, but too low on protein. So, I decided to take the leap and cut out some egg yolks. This morning I had 1 whole egg with 3 whites, scrambled, and chicken sausage. It actually tasted fine, I was surprised! That's one more sacrifice for this lifestyle change! :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Ymmmm - Chili sounds really good. I did make some Lentil soup to eat this week for lunches, so good and ward.

I'm really loving this thread - thanks for starting us off Jess!!! I can't tell you how much better I feel everyday. I also think this gets a little easier every day. With all of the great suggestions on here I'm able to easily come up with something to make that is healthy and good :)

Lentil soup sounds yummy!! You're welcome, I'm glad to have more join in. :flowerforyou: It does get easier, and pretty soon it will feel like 2nd nature to you! :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I've been twiddling w/ my foods to try to get a 40-30-30 ratio of macronutrients, sometimes I'm too high on fat, but too low on protein. So, I decided to take the leap and cut out some egg yolks. This morning I had 1 whole egg with 3 whites, scrambled, and chicken sausage. It actually tasted fine, I was surprised! That's one more sacrifice for this lifestyle change! :laugh:

I have done different ratios. Right now I'm doing a tough cardio program, Insanity plus running so I am at 50% carb/ 25% protein/ 25% fat. I have done the 40/30/30 before also. My fats are all good ones- nuts & natural PB, olive oil, avocado, etc. So I don't stress too much if I go a little over in fat. Your breakfast sounds yummy!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    My food so far... and I'm off to make something healthy for lunch! I'm burning a TON of calories w/ my workouts so need to keep the fire burnin'. :bigsmile:

Pre-run:
    Mela Access bar

Breakfast: (after 5 mile run)
    Usual oatmeal
    (1/2 c. oatmeal, 1/2 c. blueberries, 1/2 scoop choc. protein powder, 1 T. ground flax, 1/2 c. cottage cheese)
    Medium banana

Snack: (after Max Insanity Interval workout)
    1 c. plain yogurt + 1/2 c. blueberries + 1/2 c. organic Clifford Crunch cereal
    Large nectarine
  • queen3510
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've been reading all your post and picking up info on how to transition to clean eating. I'm ready to transition from the instant oatmeal to the original but not sure which oatmeal to use. I like my oatmeal creamy so how would I cook the non-instant kind. Thank you ahead of time for your help and advice.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I'm gla I have this message board, so nice to have other people who want to eat clean also.
    I did a clean day yesterday. Lunch was a lettuce salad, and supper was a *suprise* supper at a steak house. I did well to eat 4oz sirloin and a lettuce salad with dresing on the side and some peaches(canned). All in all, it was a clean day.

Today is going good also, I have my meals all plannedout and WILL stick to them. I think I'm on Day 2 of eating clean. A good motivator to see if I can make it a habit and go 21+ days.

Happy Tuesday all.:glasses:
  • astridfeline
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've been reading all your post and picking up info on how to transition to clean eating. I'm ready to transition from the instant oatmeal to the original but not sure which oatmeal to use. I like my oatmeal creamy so how would I cook the non-instant kind. Thank you ahead of time for your help and advice.

Hi and welcome!
    I use whole foods quick oats; many people like regular rolled oats or steel cut. I hear if you put the oats in the pan at the same time as the water (or milk), they will be softer. This is as opposed to waiting for the water to boil and then adding the oats in. I'm sure folks will chime in on the endless possibilities for oatmeal additions! I put a little brown sugar and blueberries on mine.
  • astridfeline
    Options
    haha, today is the first day ever that I've ever run out of nutrients before running out of calories! :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I used old fashioned Quaker oats, and microwave it. You can cook it over the stove, but it is the same. It still only takes 2 min to cook in the micro (just make sure it doesn't bubble over!). If you like it creamier, you can add a little more water (I use 1 cup of water for 1/2 c. oats) or even use milk instead of water (or half water/ half milk) and cook a little longer (cook a minute, stir, cook another 30 sec, stir, etc). The packaged kind of oatmeal has a lot of sugar!! Hope that helps!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm gla I have this message board, so nice to have other people who want to eat clean also.
    I did a clean day yesterday. Lunch was a lettuce salad, and supper was a *suprise* supper at a steak house. I did well to eat 4oz sirloin and a lettuce salad with dresing on the side and some peaches(canned). All in all, it was a clean day.

Today is going good also, I have my meals all plannedout and WILL stick to them. I think I'm on Day 2 of eating clean. A good motivator to see if I can make it a habit and go 21+ days.

Happy Tuesday all.:glasses:

Good for you! You are making good habits!! :flowerforyou: It does help to have a plan, *winging* it usually means that you end up eating something not as clean!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    OK, my lunch was awesome!

Spinach wrap: (ever had one of those wraps from Starbucks? Similar but cheaper and healthier!)
    Frozen spinach, peppers, onions (cooked, then drained)
    1/4 c. eggbeaters + 1 egg (added to veggie mixture, then cooked)
    Whole wheat tortilla w/ laughing cow light cheese wedge (then added veggie/ egg mixture)
    Artichoke garlic salsa (to taste, then rolled it up!)

385 cals w/ 32g carb/ 9g fat/ 30g protein/ 18g fiber
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey girls!
    Jess-YUM that lunch does sound GREAT!:love: I'll have to try that out sometime!
    What kind of whole wheat tortillas do you use? I have the La Tortilla low-carb/high fiber green onion ones..just looking for the best options--also any suggestions as far as whole wheat pita pockets go? It's nice to have those on hand too-but I can never decide which are best..haha One more thing-would you mind posting your recipe for the clean chili you make? that sounds great for the chilly fall/winter months we are heading into..(please include the cal count stuff for it if you can..hehe:blushing: ) Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • stang41992
    stang41992 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I tried eating clean for a week straight back in March. I am not even overweight, and I lost 5 pounds in that week! Everyone noticed, even my brother who doesn't notice these things :smile:
    I think jumping in head first was a little too hard for me, so I strayed for a bit, but now I'm trying it again to shed several more pounds with the help of MFP!
    I have Tosca's book, but have been pretty intimidated by the ingredients list :noway:
    I have found that the recipes provided in Oxygen magazine are simple and wonderful. I have several magazine cutouts that I keep and use repeatedly.
    Glad I'm not the only one doing the Clean Eating thing around here!
  • astridfeline
    Options
    I tried eating clean for a week straight back in March. I am not even overweight, and I lost 5 pounds in that week! Everyone noticed, even my brother who doesn't notice these things :smile:
    I think jumping in head first was a little too hard for me, so I strayed for a bit, but now I'm trying it again to shed several more pounds with the help of MFP!
    I have Tosca's book, but have been pretty intimidated by the ingredients list :noway:
    I have found that the recipes provided in Oxygen magazine are simple and wonderful. I have several magazine cutouts that I keep and use repeatedly.
    Glad I'm not the only one doing the Clean Eating thing around here!
    Prevention magazine has some good simple recipes too. good luck with the clean eating--let us know if you have any questions!