~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options
jessmomof3
jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
We used to have a Clean Eating thread, and have some interest to start again!

Anyone is welcome to join whether you are just starting or clean eating is your lifestyle!!

Basically, CE is cutting out the white flour/ sugar, eating every few hours, focusing more on fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins, low-fat dairy, and good fats!

Replies

• jessmomof3
    Options
    I've been eating *cleaner* for the last 3 years or so. I've slowly weaned myself off from all high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, MSG, and now artificial sweeteners. I do use a little Stevia or Truvia in my tea (but drink my coffee black). It wasn't an overnight change, but every little change helps. It's helped me and my family. My kids are used to snacking on fruit and yogurt instead of chips and junk food like their friends. Now *they* are educating their friends on the benefits of eating healthy!!! YAY! :bigsmile:

Anyway... since there was some interest I thought we'd share ideas or anyone can ask questions. I'm no expert but I have read a lot of nutrition books and articles.

So... who's with me?? :laugh:
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    Must be able to read my mind this morning! I was reading the CE magazine last night before bed -trying to determine if I can adapt more of these principals in my eating habits. I'm all for it just need to get with the program. I'm not too far off... but could certainly improve. Have you read Tosca's book, is it worth buying?
  • linc2009
    Options
    I am interested! I love clean foods, but I also love the bad foods. I want to start weaning myself off those processed foods as well, so any help is great.

I already eat 5-6 times a day, so I thought I would start and do one meal completely clean for a week or two, then add another meal until I am eating all clean.

Did you find that you lost weight more easily when you went clean? Also, I am a mom too, and I try to feed my kids all the fresh fruits and veggies they will eat. But I have a 18 month year old, so it takes some convincing to eat her veggies. Luckily she loves fruit.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I like the whole clean living attitude, but I am not sure if I can go 100%, as I still do enjoy white flour and some refined sugar.

But I am cutting way down on sugar, and trying to eat better carbs. I am also trying to remove all HFCS, MSG, trans fat and all the other icky chemicals from our diet. The artificial sugar has never been a problem, as I have always been against eating that.

whoo hoooo!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm so glad you posted, because I just learned that I've been eating 'clean' for a month now!

Hallelujah!! Eating clean was one of my goals to 'work towards'. I thought it would be harder.

I still use Truvia on occasion. And I know I won't 'eat clean' 100 percent of the time for the rest of my life, but normally I do. Oh and I still have a diet coke from time to time. I'm in IT I can't live without coke at least once a week. :(

This is great, I'd love to learn more about it.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Lets start the "Cleaning Eating" thread !:happy:
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't even know there was a magazine for CE.

Is it a good mag, or is it still too commercial like so many other magazines?

I might subscribe!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested as well. Have been trying to adapt the principals the last two weeks. I've lookd at the Eating Clean eating plan and I've read Jillian Michaels Metabolism book which is basically the same principal. It is hard to stay away from everything but I'm trying :) Would love to read others suggestions and ideas. I have made the switch from the lowfat yogurts with all of the artifical sugars to Greek style yogurt this last week - I LOVE it. Have to watch the calories and fat but I do feel better eating it. Also bought some ground flax seed to add to it.
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    I enjoyed the CE magazine. Read it cover to cover! you can go to the website and get a free trial issue before subscribing as it is kinda pricey newstand. Has anyone read Tosca Reno's book or have any of the cook books? I'm trying to decide if it is woth buying or not. I understand the basic principals of eating clean but want to be sure I am not missing anything. Has anyone had success losing weight eating this way? I know I personally feel soo much better not eating all those chemicals. I don't usually eat this many carbs as her 2 wk. menu plan suggest- so I am a little leary of how my body will react to that.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Must be able to read my mind this morning! I was reading the CE magazine last night before bed -trying to determine if I can adapt more of these principals in my eating habits. I'm all for it just need to get with the program. I'm not too far off... but could certainly improve. Have you read Tosca's book, is it worth buying?

Yes, I've read the Clean Eating magazine and Tosca's Eat Clean book. They are both good to get started! Also, if you don't want to buy then check your library!! You can just get them on loan. :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I enjoyed the CE magazine. Read it cover to cover! you can go to the website and get a free trial issue before subscribing as it is kinda pricey newstand. Has anyone read Tosca Reno's book or have any of the cook books? I'm trying to decide if it is woth buying or not. I understand the basic principals of eating clean but want to be sure I am not missing anything. Has anyone had success losing weight eating this way? I know I personally feel soo much better not eating all those chemicals. I don't usually eat this many carbs as her 2 wk. menu plan suggest- so I am a little leary of how my body will react to that.

Yes, I have lost weight eating clean! And really am seeing a big difference in my abs. Woohoo! :drinker:

I don't have any of her cook books but did read her book (I just posted).

Not only have I lost weight, but I FEEL so much better. I used to suffer from constant migraines and headaches, felt tired all of the time, etc. It's amazing how much more energy I have and how few headaches I get now!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm very interested as well. Have been trying to adapt the principals the last two weeks. I've lookd at the Eating Clean eating plan and I've read Jillian Michaels Metabolism book which is basically the same principal. It is hard to stay away from everything but I'm trying :) Would love to read others suggestions and ideas. I have made the switch from the lowfat yogurts with all of the artifical sugars to Greek style yogurt this last week - I LOVE it. Have to watch the calories and fat but I do feel better eating it. Also bought some ground flax seed to add to it.

I loooove Jillian's Master your Metabolism book. It's much more thorough into going *why* you should eat clean, not just the basics of clean eating.

It is hard to stay away at first. I just tell people if they get pushy that I have food allergies (it's true, it gives me headaches!!) and I just stay away from the dessert table. :laugh:

Greek yogurt is pricey. They do make fat free and low-fat varieties also. I posted on another thread about Meijer brand plain yogurt. It is awesome and much cheaper than Greek yogurt. Dannon plain isn't bad either. I just add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries to my yogurt. It makes it sweet enough w/out any sweetener! And I love ground flaxseed!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Wow, I didn't even know there was a magazine for CE.

Is it a good mag, or is it still too commercial like so many other magazines?

I might subscribe!

It's pretty good. I haven't gotten the latest one but have read them in the past.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    :laugh: Lets start the "Cleaning Eating" thread !:happy:

I think we just did!! Glad you joined in! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Wow! I'm so glad you posted, because I just learned that I've been eating 'clean' for a month now!

Hallelujah!! Eating clean was one of my goals to 'work towards'. I thought it would be harder.

I still use Truvia on occasion. And I know I won't 'eat clean' 100 percent of the time for the rest of my life, but normally I do. Oh and I still have a diet coke from time to time. I'm in IT I can't live without coke at least once a week. :(

This is great, I'd love to learn more about it.

Good for you!! Yes, when I started eliminating the white flours/sugars, and eating more of a South Beach style about 5 yrs ago, I'd never heard of *clean* eating.

I think if you can at least eat 80% clean you'll be doing great!! I'm not perfect, but I know what things I can have and what is a trigger for me! I've learned to just say NO to pushy people that try to get me to eat junk. :laugh:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!!! I have been trying to eat clean for the last week. I have been doing it and didn't realize it, but now I am making sure of it. I use a 1/2 of pack of stevia once a day. I feel so much better.

I love the Clean Eating magazine.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm in!!!! I have been trying to eat clean for the last week. I have been doing it and didn't realize it, but now I am making sure of it. I use a 1/2 of pack of stevia once a day. I feel so much better.

I love the Clean Eating magazine.

Good for you!! Glad you are feeling better too, isn't that the best reward for feeding your body right??
  • emmasmom3
    Options
    Can i join in everyone? I am a huge fan of clean eating, and once I started it was really easy to adapt. I just try and eat whole foods, and non processed foods. I don't eat fast food, or go out to eat much at all. And honestly I have been able to keep the 100 lb weight loss off for over three years now. So if it is ok, count me in! :) I love the CE mag, and Tosca Reno is my hero!!!! One day I am going to meet her. Anyway, it is an amazing way to eat, and any recipe ideas are welcomed! The only catch that I have with it is being creative with cooking, and spicing up the foods!!! Thanks everyone!
    Stephanie
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    So... what are your *clean* breakfasts???

I'll share my usual breakfast. I've been eating oatmeal for a good 4 years for breakfast now. LOVE it! I think I have it perfected in how I like it! :laugh:

I either call it power oatmeal or PMS oatmeal. :bigsmile:

1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal (cook in microwave for 1 min w/ 1 cup water)
    Add in 1/2 c. frozen blueberries (cook another 45 seconds or so, watch it!)
    Add in 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 T. ground flaxseed
    1/4- 1/2 c. cottage cheese, and sometimes 1 T. Naturally More Peanut butter

(350 calories, 51g carb, 11g fiber, 14g fat, 19g protein)

FYI, I am a huge fan of Naturally More PB. It is sold at Wal*mart in a yellow container. Here's a link to it, it is made with flaxseed oil http://www.naturallymore.com/products.html
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Can i join in everyone? I am a huge fan of clean eating, and once I started it was really easy to adapt. I just try and eat whole foods, and non processed foods. I don't eat fast food, or go out to eat much at all. And honestly I have been able to keep the 100 lb weight loss off for over three years now. So if it is ok, count me in! :) I love the CE mag, and Tosca Reno is my hero!!!! One day I am going to meet her. Anyway, it is an amazing way to eat, and any recipe ideas are welcomed! The only catch that I have with it is being creative with cooking, and spicing up the foods!!! Thanks everyone!
    Stephanie

Yes, please join us!! Good for you... 100#!!! I've kept off my 70# loss for over 4 yrs now! :bigsmile: