~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options

Replies

• TankLily
    TankLily Posts: 34
    Options
    Right On!

I’ve been working on eating cleaner for quite some time. My Wonderful man has joined me and we’re trying to get healthy together! I’m working on getting my Gardening skills up to par, maybe next year we’ll be eating from the garden. I also am interested in raising pheasants for fresh eggs. (and meat) :noway: If I can get over the Willies of killing one.

Oh Clean Breakfast... I cheat! We have a Milk man who delivers natural, local dairy and some bread products :happy: I luv him

Organic Raisin bread from the Milk man, A glass of chocolate milk :)
    I like protien drinks for breakfast too... I'm not much of a breakfast eater so something liquid makes it easy.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Right On!

I’ve been working on eating cleaner for quite some time. My Wonderful man has joined me and we’re trying to get healthy together! I’m working on getting my Gardening skills up to par, maybe next year we’ll be eating from the garden. I also am interested in raising pheasants for fresh eggs. (and meat) :noway: If I can get over the Willies of killing one.

Oh Clean Breakfast... I cheat! We have a Milk man who delivers natural, local dairy and some bread products :happy: I luv him

Organic Raisin bread from the Milk man, A glass of chocolate milk :)
    I like protien drinks for breakfast too... I'm not much of a breakfast eater so something liquid makes it easy.

That is awesome!! Glad you are getting healthy together!! My hubby just eats what I make. He is a pretty good healthy eater, but he definitely eats more *non clean* stuff than I do. And he's still lost 20# since he started working out with me (P90X) and eating better! Not fair that men have an easier time losing weight! :laugh:

I'm jealous of the organic milk!! I wish it weren't so expensive around here!
  • TankLily
    TankLily Posts: 34
    Options
    Oh ya, it's alittle more expensive but they deliver it. :)

Ya my guy lives at his place with his roommate and I live at my place with mine, so it's alittle harder for us to diet together, which is why this is nice. We can use it to keep track of each other and help each other stay on the right track. Really, I look at his stuff and I get inspired, I hope he looks at mine and feels the same.

LOL ya I know what you mean about men loosing faster!
    I challenged him to loose 50, and I'm loosing 25 we will probobly reach our goals at the same time. :ohwell:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I love eating clean not only because I think it makes me look better but also because it makes me feel so,so much better. I am so much more productive and energetic.

I stopped eating sugar, white flour, processed foods and junk foods. If I want to try a piece of cake or something, I'll have two bites. I drink my coffee black now. I will occasionally splurge with my boyfriend and have chips and salsa or share a burrito or have one of his homemade green chili chicken enchiladas. (I live in Albuquerque and I *love* New Mexican food). But other than that I aim to eat whole, natural foods, mostly fish, veggies and lean meats and fish. Also I like the "good" fats like nuts, seeds, olive oil and avocados.

Recently my goal has been to eliminate or cut back on alcohol, which has been my toughest hurdle. I am doing well at that goal this week and aim to keep it up.

I also like to run and work out. At the moment I'm training for a half marathon and I also go to the gym and do Jillian-style circuit training (I love her). I'm happy this group is starting back up -- thanks Jess!
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Have you read Tosca's book, is it worth buying?

I've read parts of it at Borders (I'm cheap ha ha) and I also go to her website sometimes. I think it is helpful to learn the basic concepts, which are also pretty much laid out here in this thread, which saves you money. :laugh: Basically AVOID the standard American diet of processed/junk/sugary foods and go back to eating healthy, natural foods. The Eat Clean Diet book does have good recipes though. It focuses some on supplements, which I haven't really gotten into. I think we can get all of our vitamins and nutrients from eating well, but I could be wrong.

I really want to read Master Your Metabolism and may plunk down the money for that because I'm a big fan of Jillian Michaels'.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    So... what are your *clean* breakfasts???

I'll share my usual breakfast. I've been eating oatmeal for a good 4 years for breakfast now. LOVE it! I think I have it perfected in how I like it! :laugh:

I either call it power oatmeal or PMS oatmeal. :bigsmile:

1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal (cook in microwave for 1 min w/ 1 cup water)
    Add in 1/2 c. frozen blueberries (cook another 45 seconds or so, watch it!)
    Add in 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 T. ground flaxseed
    1/4- 1/2 c. cottage cheese, and sometimes 1 T. Naturally More Peanut butter

(350 calories, 51g carb, 11g fiber, 14g fat, 19g protein)

FYI, I am a huge fan of Naturally More PB. It is sold at Wal*mart in a yellow container. Here's a link to it, it is made with flaxseed oil http://www.naturallymore.com/products.html

For breakfast I always eat one of the following:

Usually I eat oatmeal, which is what I had this morning. I use 1/3 cup plain old fashioned oatmeal and cook it on the stove if I have time or in the microwave if I don't. I also use about a cup of skim milk, 1/2 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder (I realize this isn't clean but I try to get at least 25g of protein in each meal [plus snacks of fruits, veggies, yogurt, nuts, etc. in between the three meals]), one banana and either 30 blueberries or 10 blackberries.

Sometimes I'll have cereal, with the skim milk and chocolate protein powder and fruit. Either Kashi Go Lean or the Flax Seed Bran kind that I buy at the co-op.

When I have time I love to make an egg omelette with turkey or chicken and bell peppers and tomatos and onions and salsa. Yum. This is my favorite "treat" breakfast because I rarely have time to make it.

Finally, I like to make what I call Banana Wraps which is one La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Low Fat tortilla (50 calories, 10g carb, 5g protein), a banana, 1 Tbsp of natural peanut butter (I usually use a kind called Valencia that I buy at the co-op), and 1/2 Tbsp of honey. Yum. This one definitely tastes the best to me and indulges my sweet tooth.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the breakfast recipes!!!
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have a stupid question. Do you consider eating lunches like Kashi Frozen meals "clean"

Here is a link to one:

http://www.kashi.com/products/kashi_entrees_chicken_florentine

The ingredients are healthy, fiber is good, etc, but because it's processed, is that considered not clean. :smile:

I ask because I do eat meals like this for lunch, because it's much easier. I try to eat leftovers from the night before, but that's not always possible.

I don't think I will stop eating convenience foods like this, as it keeps me full and keeps me on track.

Any thoughts?
    THANKS!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Have you read Tosca's book, is it worth buying?

I've read parts of it at Borders (I'm cheap ha ha) and I also go to her website sometimes. I think it is helpful to learn the basic concepts, which are also pretty much laid out here in this thread, which saves you money. :laugh: Basically AVOID the standard American diet of processed/junk/sugary foods and go back to eating healthy, natural foods. The Eat Clean Diet book does have good recipes though. It focuses some on supplements, which I haven't really gotten into. I think we can get all of our vitamins and nutrients from eating well, but I could be wrong.

I really want to read Master Your Metabolism and may plunk down the money for that because I'm a big fan of Jillian Michaels'.

Go to Walmart.com Master Your Metabolism was on sale last week, it may still be. I am reading it now. Very good.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I have a stupid question. Do you consider eating lunches like Kashi Frozen meals "clean"

Here is a link to one:

http://www.kashi.com/products/kashi_entrees_chicken_florentine

The ingredients are healthy, fiber is good, etc, but because it's processed, is that considered not clean. :smile:

I ask because I do eat meals like this for lunch, because it's much easier. I try to eat leftovers from the night before, but that's not always possible.

I don't think I will stop eating convenience foods like this, as it keeps me full and keeps me on track.

Any thoughts?
    THANKS!

I won't say it's 100% clean, but that's ok!! It's a MUCH better choice than a Lean Cuisine or other frozen meal out there!! It's also portion controlled which is good and does have fiber also.

I don't want to be the *clean police*, so just make the best choices that you can! If that saves you from hitting McD's drive through, then it's all good! :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Go to Walmart.com Master Your Metabolism was on sale last week, it may still be. I am reading it now. Very good.

I got it at Target. I think it was $16?? Worth the price tag! I also have Jillian's Making the Cut which is a good read but I think she goes into a LOT more detail in MYM.

Also check your library, my small town library has Tosca's Eat Clean book and other nutrition books too!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Just finished lunch,

I had a yummy salad. Here's the ingredients. BTW, I bought an Eat Smart food scale, best thing I've bought in AGES! It's awesome to know exactly what a serving size is. Yeah, your eyeballs will lie to you for a serving of meat!! :huh:

Chicken *taco* salad:
    3oz spinach, 3oz romaine hearts, topped w/ red wine vinegar.
    4oz chicken breast (I always cook at least 6 chicken breasts and keep them in the fridge for easy leftovers!)
    1/2 c. reduced sodium black beans (rinsed also)
    2 T. fresh salsa
    1 oz reduced fat tomato & basil feta cheese

345 cals/ 33g carb/ 10g fiber/ 42g protein/ 7g fat
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Well, if I can stay off the sugar-Day 4 now, I've been basically eating clean for a while now. Haven't been able to give up the art. sweetners though. They're helping me-kind of like a Morphine addict gets Methadone to help the withdrawl:laugh: :laugh: I have Tosca's book but haven't read it. This months CE Mag has some great recipes in it!:flowerforyou: I won't be doing the organic thing, but to me as long as my hand is out of the cookie jar and in the fruit basket, along with ditching the whites I'm happy. Crap Free is what is keeping my esteem up!:drinker:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Just finished lunch,

I had a yummy salad. Here's the ingredients. BTW, I bought an Eat Smart food scale, best thing I've bought in AGES! It's awesome to know exactly what a serving size is. Yeah, your eyeballs will lie to you for a serving of meat!! :huh:

[/quote

thanks for the recipe - looks GREAT!!! ]
  • hmo4
    Options
    Just finished lunch,

[/quote

thanks for the recipe - looks GREAT!!! ]

Where did you buy it and what all are you using it for?
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Well, if I can stay off the sugar-Day 4 now, I've been basically eating clean for a while now. Haven't been able to give up the art. sweetners though. They're helping me-kind of like a Morphine addict gets Methadone to help the withdrawl:laugh: :laugh: I have Tosca's book but haven't read it. This months CE Mag has some great recipes in it!:flowerforyou: I won't be doing the organic thing, but to me as long as my hand is out of the cookie jar and in the fruit basket, along with ditching the whites I'm happy. Crap Free is what is keeping my esteem up!:drinker:

Haha!! I'm glad you're joining in, Kath!! It took me a while to ditch the artificial sweeteners. I never thought I could give up Splenda!!! :noway:

Crap Free... maybe that's what we should title the thread!!! :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Where did you buy it and what all are you using it for?

I got the scale at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Chrome/dp/B002CM6TVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249157218&sr=8-1

You can get them in the stores too, I think (not sure since you're in Canada).

I bought it because I wanted to track carefully (at a stand still for a while!) and really had NO way to judge what 4oz of chicken breast was or how big my apple was, etc. Ok, I admit that I'm a bit OCD. :laugh: But I use it for good. :laugh:

Anyway, I found that what I thought was about 4oz chicken was almost 6oz!! I eat chicken breast almost every day (that's 60 extra cals)! And... the natural PB is a very scant tablespoon. A full tablespoon slightly rounded is almost 2 tablespoons!! (that's 85 extra cals!) My apple was closer to 120 cals instead of the 80-100 cals that I thought.

Even my dry goods like oatmeal, what I thought was 1/2 cup (40g) was closer to 50g!!
    :noway: Oh, and an ounce of nuts?? Yeah, I was overeating that too. :sad:

See what I mean?? The foods that I eat on a daily basis, I was consuming at least 200-300 more cals than I thought! :frown:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Crap Free plan too :) Love that. It is so unfortunate that organics and healthy choices are so expensive, it is hard to change completely, but it is right that every little change makes a difference.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm on the Crap Free plan too :) Love that. It is so unfortunate that organics and healthy choices are so expensive, it is hard to change completely, but it is right that every little change makes a difference.

Hahaha!! Love it!!

I don't know what stores you have near you, but I find that Meijer and Kroger are the best places to get cheaper organic and natural products. They both carry their own *store* brands of natural and organic foods. Even Wal*mart is starting to carry some organics!

I just wash my fruits and veggies well. And after reading Jillian's book, I cut the top off of my apple (the pesticides can pool there, that just gives me the heebie jeebies now! :sick: ).
  • hmo4
    Options
    How does the scale read all that info? (i just watched it on the website), and even when it's on a plate??? Looks cool. My family would shake their heads at me. Might have to get it for that reason. (I like to the teens think I'm nuts.):laugh: Give me examples of what else it does thogh. Off to hockey, chat soon.:drinker: