~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    thanks for the recipe - looks GREAT!!! ]

I love making big salads w/ whatever ingredients I have around. I just start w/ spinach or romaine and start adding in the healthy stuff! Broccoli, cauliflower, peas, shredded carrots or cabbage, and then add in a protein (chicken breast, tuna, lean meats) and some good fat (olive oil, avocado, sunflower seeds, nuts). If I make tacos for my family (they do like the corn or whole wheat tortillas also), then I just use the meat for my salad. I love eating beans (black or garbanzo are great for fiber and protein!). And salsa is often my *dressing* on my salad along w/ just some plain balsamic or red wine vinegar (vinegar is great for you and helps slow digestion). I do use a tsp. of olive oil sometimes too. I don't like commercial salad dressings, most of them have HFCS and MSG added anyway!!

Anyway... as you can see I could go on & on about this topic! :tongue:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    April and Jess- thanks for the tips for buying Master Your Metabolism. I saw it at Borders but they only had hardcover and it was like $24. Too much for me so I will look on walmart.com or at target.

I had lunch with a former co-worker who wanted sushi so I ordered edamame, green tea, water, tuna sashimi and two pieces of albacore tuna sushi. Yay! :smile:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Jess - I am also pretty OCD about calories and I usually measure all the cups etc. But it's hard when it's in ounces. I have a small shipping scale I used to use for selling stuff on eBay that I think will work with food because it measures ounces. So I am going to try that and see how accurate my measurements have been. :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    How does the scale read all that info? (i just watched it on the website), and even when it's on a plate??? Looks cool. My family would shake their heads at me. Might have to get it for that reason. (I like to the teens think I'm nuts.):laugh: Give me examples of what else it does thogh. Off to hockey, chat soon.:drinker:

My hubby thinks it's hilarious. He says it's the perfect tool for someone w/ OCD.

It has a tare button. You put your bowl on it and hit tare and then it takes the grams/ ounces/ pounds to zero. Then you add in your first ingredient (say for instance spinach- so I added 3oz spinach, then hit tare). Then add in 3oz romaine, then hit tare to take it back to 0 again). Then add in 4oz chicken breast, etc. Then it makes it very easy to add all of your ingredients to MFP. :bigsmile: Make sense?
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Jess - I am also pretty OCD about calories and I usually measure all the cups etc. But it's hard when it's in ounces. I have a small shipping scale I used to use for selling stuff on eBay that I think will work with food because it measures ounces. So I am going to try that and see how accurate my measurements have been. :wink:

My scale came w/ a booklet that gives you a lot of foods listed and you multiply the grams by the numbers by the food you are weighing. So for instance you have 100g of apple, then you multiply 100 x .53 so you have a 53 calorie apple.

Some things go by ounces, some by grams, or pounds, so I just switch the scale to that mode.

Anyway, hope that helps!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Crap Free plan too :) Love that. It is so unfortunate that organics and healthy choices are so expensive, it is hard to change completely, but it is right that every little change makes a difference.

Hahaha!! Love it!!

I don't know what stores you have near you, but I find that Meijer and Kroger are the best places to get cheaper organic and natural products. They both carry their own *store* brands of natural and organic foods. Even Wal*mart is starting to carry some organics!

I just wash my fruits and veggies well. And after reading Jillian's book, I cut the top off of my apple (the pesticides can pool there, that just gives me the heebie jeebies now! :sick: ).

I know - I'll never look at an apple the same again!!! And I just cringe when I see someone with a can of Diet Soda!! I have found some great items at our Kroger stores. It is just working in some affordable items and making the rest work the best I can. My biggest craving is chips -

Has anyone tried any organic chips that you like? I haven't tried any because I've been afraid to spend the money then not like it.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

My scale came w/ a booklet that gives you a lot of foods listed and you multiply the grams by the numbers by the food you are weighing. So for instance you have 100g of apple, then you multiply 100 x .53 so you have a 53 calorie apple.

Some things go by ounces, some by grams, or pounds, so I just switch the scale to that mode.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Thanks!
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    I'm on the Crap Free plan too :) Love that. It is so unfortunate that organics and healthy choices are so expensive, it is hard to change completely, but it is right that every little change makes a difference.

Hahaha!! Love it!!

I don't know what stores you have near you, but I find that Meijer and Kroger are the best places to get cheaper organic and natural products. They both carry their own *store* brands of natural and organic foods. Even Wal*mart is starting to carry some organics!

I just wash my fruits and veggies well. And after reading Jillian's book, I cut the top off of my apple (the pesticides can pool there, that just gives me the heebie jeebies now! :sick: ).

I know - I'll never look at an apple the same again!!! And I just cringe when I see someone with a can of Diet Soda!! I have found some great items at our Kroger stores. It is just working in some affordable items and making the rest work the best I can. My biggest craving is chips -

Has anyone tried any organic chips that you like? I haven't tried any because I've been afraid to spend the money then not like it.

Chips and salsa are my weakness, maybe once a week my boyfriend wants to eat them and watch Rescue Me, which was always our habit before I started clean eating. So now I get Tostitos baked scoops and count out the scoops that equal one portion and put them on my own plate and let him have the bag. I love the scoops because to me the salsa tastes even better since the chips are lighter, and with the "scoop" in the middle I can fit a lot of salsa onto one chip. It's still not totally clean but I eat much less that way than in the past when I'd have literally servings upon servings of regular tortilla chips.
  • jessmomof3
    Options

I know! My brother is a total Diet Coke addict. We went on vacation (my whole family plus mom and siblings) in June and I was just amazed at how much DC he drinks. I'm working on him! :laugh:

Anyway, I haven't tried any organic chips. Oh wait, I have tried the stone ground and flax tortilla chips from Trader Joe's (but we don't have any TJ's nearby, I wish! :sad:) and they were yummy!

When I need something salty, I make air-popped popcorn. I top w/ some seasoned salt and parmesan cheese. :bigsmile: Or mixed nuts. (but have to be careful not to overeat the nuts!)

Oh, and once in a while I buy the soy crisps. Not super clean, but have more protein and less fat than chips. Meijer makes their own brand, and Quaker and Glenny's make them. They come in sea salt, cheddar, BBQ, and other flavors. The Meijer brand sea salt have 130 cals/ 3g fat/ 15g carb and 8g protein.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

I know! My brother is a total Diet Coke addict. We went on vacation (my whole family plus mom and siblings) in June and I was just amazed at how much DC he drinks. I'm working on him! :laugh:

Anyway, I haven't tried any organic chips. Oh wait, I have tried the stone ground and flax tortilla chips from Trader Joe's (but we don't have any TJ's nearby, I wish! :sad:) and they were yummy!

When I need something salty, I make air-popped popcorn. I top w/ some seasoned salt and parmesan cheese. :bigsmile: Or mixed nuts. (but have to be careful not to overeat the nuts!)

Oh, and once in a while I buy the soy crisps. Not super clean, but have more protein and less fat than chips. Meijer makes their own brand, and Quaker and Glenny's make them. They come in sea salt, cheddar, BBQ, and other flavors. The Meijer brand sea salt have 130 cals/ 3g fat/ 15g carb and 8g protein.

I will have to look for those soy Crisps. I so wish I had a Trader Joe's or a whole Foods close by, sounds like they have lots of healthy options. I've been to the Whole Foods in Austin, TX ( I feel in Love) Felt like I was in grocery heaven - but 13 hours would be a bit too much of a commute for groceries :(
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I would like to join the clean eaters! I've really made over this past summer to eat clean and I feel great. I added a lot of fruits & veg--I'm lucky to live in the vicinity of several grocery stores that carry a variety of organic produce and meats. I just hope I can keep up once school starts next week. I like reading the forums here--lots of ideas for eating clean and new things to do with all the vegetables. I just had roasted brussels sprouts, a celery salad w/ almonds, and chicken for lunch :happy:
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Bump! I always like to get new ideas, I am fairly new to this also-Started in January:smile: I have been doing pretty well I think, eat lots of fruits and veggies, and lean proteins (I have been mostly following the meal guide that goes with my Chalean Extreme circuit training which is lots of lean proteins:happy: ) Keep posting any lovely ideas! I like discovering tasty new snacks and hearing what recipes you all have! Thanks!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Bump! I always like to get new ideas, I am fairly new to this also-Started in January:smile: I have been doing pretty well I think, eat lots of fruits and veggies, and lean proteins (I have been mostly following the meal guide that goes with my Chalean Extreme circuit training which is lots of lean proteins:happy: ) Keep posting any lovely ideas! I like discovering tasty new snacks and hearing what recipes you all have! Thanks!

Good for you! I did a round of ChaLean in December!! Loved it! Now I'm doing Insanity... woohoo! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I would like to join the clean eaters! I've really made over this past summer to eat clean and I feel great. I added a lot of fruits & veg--I'm lucky to live in the vicinity of several grocery stores that carry a variety of organic produce and meats. I just hope I can keep up once school starts next week. I like reading the forums here--lots of ideas for eating clean and new things to do with all the vegetables. I just had roasted brussels sprouts, a celery salad w/ almonds, and chicken for lunch :happy:

Welcome! I love brussels sprouts, wish my kids and dh did! :huh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Afternoon snack:
    1 c. plain yogurt
    1/2 c. frozen blueberries
    1/4 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax granola cereal
    1/2 oz chopped walnuts

Yum yum!!!
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Afternoon snack:
    1 c. plain yogurt
    1/2 c. frozen blueberries
    1/4 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax granola cereal
    1/2 oz chopped walnuts

Yum yum!!!

Ha ha right now I happen to be eating my afternoon snack of Dannon plain nonfat yogurt, 15 blackberries, and 20 almonds. I swear I'm not stalking you -- I didn't even see your entry until I was almost done with my snack LOL
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

Welcome. You look like you're super in shape. What is an LTV?

I too would like to see clean eating recipes. I usually just make the same old grilled chicken and veggies, or roast turkey. I would like to add some variety for my boyfriend who DOES eat clean with me when I make it for dinner or pack his lunch (hee hee) but who is used to eating more traditional dishes like pasta and enchiladas etc. I happen to loooooove green beans and am looking for some fun recipes for fresh green beans.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    How does the scale read all that info? (i just watched it on the website), and even when it's on a plate??? Looks cool. My family would shake their heads at me. Might have to get it for that reason. (I like to the teens think I'm nuts.):laugh: Give me examples of what else it does thogh. Off to hockey, chat soon.:drinker:

My hubby thinks it's hilarious. He says it's the perfect tool for someone w/ OCD.

It has a tare button. You put your bowl on it and hit tare and then it takes the grams/ ounces/ pounds to zero. Then you add in your first ingredient (say for instance spinach- so I added 3oz spinach, then hit tare). Then add in 3oz romaine, then hit tare to take it back to 0 again). Then add in 4oz chicken breast, etc. Then it makes it very easy to add all of your ingredients to MFP. :bigsmile: Make sense?

Haha, another OCD scale user here--I also use it for my morning smoothies. Tare is my favorite function.
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hello again! An LVT is a Licensed Veterinary Technician-haha! I love it!:bigsmile: And thanks, I have been trying my hardest- I used to weigh about 165 in January and decided I need a change. My mom and I started to do TurboJam:heart:and it stuck with us:smile: I now weigh about 117, which I never thought was imaginable. I just can't get enough workouts in! haha..My mom has lost weight also, I am so proud of her! Anyway, I just love this site to death! I've been using it about a month now. It really helps me stay on track, holds me accountable so I think twice about eating something I know I shouldn't haha! I have tried sooo many new foods that I just would have passed by before-It's great! So any recipes/snacks--ANYTHING you would like to share would be awesome! Like I said, at the moment I am doing Chalean Extreme circuits, along with TJ for more cardio and a lot of biking:happy:
    Neeterskeeter- I have a huge garden and :heart: :heart: :heart: fresh green beans! I usually just steam them over the stove and serve, but you could also pour some light marinara sauce over them and microwave for a few minutes...
    Thanks in advance everyone!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Hey CRAP FREE CLUB:laugh: thought about that while driving the girls to hockey. Where do you buy this scale already. As I was putting together my salad for supper, I was wondering how accurate I am. I NEED IT!! Is a whole wheat croissant cheating? I cut it to 1/2, but it was soooo good. Still waiting for Insanity to arrive. Hope my body can handle it!:tongue: I dind't get to snack today cause of running errands, so my supper has extra cals, I'll have to put something in my car or purse!