Very low calorie diets and metabolic damage

Options

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

I'm well aware of Lyle's work. I've communicated with him extensively, I own every one of his books, and I even interviewed him for my website:

http://body-improvements.com/articles/interviews/lyle-mcdonald-interview/

The article you linked to explained why you were wrong to call your monthly break a refeed. It's more appropriately referred to as a break. Refeeds happen more acutely, as already noted. From the article that you linked to:

"interjecting high carbohydrate, high calorie refeeds of varying lengths (anywhere from 5 hours to 3 days) is (currently) the best way to raise leptin while dieting."

and

"An additional strategy, talked about in some detail in my Guide to Flexible Dieting is the idea of full diet breaks, periods of 10-14 days in-between periods of active dieting where calories are brought back to maintenance "

If you actually talk to Lyle, he'll note that most of the times refeeds are happening on a weekly basis... even multiple times per week.

This is mostly irrelevant... the primary point of contention is the idea that refeeds can bring Leptin back to its original levels, assuming that's what you meant when you used the word "reset." There's a massive difference between acutely raising leptin with nutritional strategies and resetting leptin back to its original levels pre-weight loss.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post - Thank you for clearing up many of my questions!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • futbolista10
    Options
    Great post!!!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Very Low Carb Diets are approved medically by the UK's health authorities
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/very-low-calorie-diets.aspx

with advice on limited duration and medical supervision (they say that about any diet - talk to your doctor / GP).

There are several commercial providers of nutritionally complete diets at calorie levels of 400 - 800, often used in clinical diet trials. The main thing appears to be enough protein to avoid muscle wastage, and enough mins & vits to keep you going.
  • bugnsamsmom
    bugnsamsmom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    While I totally agree with you, I don't think the people (the women, really) on here are following a more science-based, "proper" VLCD. I also think (and not to speak of ALL men vs. ALL women), that the mindset of a man on a "diet" vs. a woman on a "diet" can and often is, very different. The chronic undereating and mindset of many women on here is not to follow a VLCD for a while, based on the science out there and the actual diet plans in the books. It's to starve themselves to be skinny. They post threads to gain justification for doing it (again, not based on the science behind a VLCD), and to do it for a very long time. I am also against the "OMG you are going into starvation mode and your metabolism is screwed forever!!", but I think there is a balance between the two that would be better used for most of the people on this site.

I'm having a hard time explaining it without getting your post deleted and without bringing in the people who will think I'm being sexist...

I agree with you. Both my husband and I are currently "dieting"...trying to eat healthier and to work exercise into that for a healthier lifestyle. We are both on the same page when it comes to measuring and counting food and going to the gym...BUT...our minds are in different places. We're doing the same things but our views of why are different. I'm often complaining that the weight is coming off fast enough and that I don't see the changes. Whereas he's commenting that longer walks are easier on his breathing and his knees and his pants are fitting better. Same approach...different views.

Now, as for the post being deleted. There has been a lot of talk in the media recently about the 800 calorie diets especially with brides going on feeding tubes to achieve their goal size (not weight...but size) to fit their dresses. That is not smart, I can't believe that anyone on here would agree that it is a smart approach to weightloss. And while the media is not promoting it,quite the opposite, there are many women out there with my mindset (I need to lose the weight now) who, unlike myself, WILL choose to take that approach for the quick reward but without any research or understanding behind the pros and without a care about what the cons are.

My view is not scientific...but rather...if I had the means and the right motivation...I could see myself trying this. I'm not...but I think that I could, maybe. And, if MFP, as an entity, does not agree with that approach, they have a right to not put it on their site because someone out there could, maybe, possibly come along after damaging their body and say that they learned about it from MFP, now it's a liability. Just saying....

As to the post being deleted.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks guys... glad you enjoyed.
  • Gertie_Brinks
    Options
    bump
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There was a thread that was deleted yesterday where the original poster was asking if it was okay to consume something like 800 calories per day. I'm not sure exactly why it was removed, but it likely had something to do with person after person telling the OP that she was being stupid.

I don't like personal attacks at all... but what drove me even more crazy was the fact that almost every single person felt the need to chime in about a topic they obviously haven't studied very much. We heard things like your muscles are going to fall off, you're going to kill your metabolism, you're going to wind up in the hospital with nutrition deficit, you're being anorexic, etc.

I'm not posting this thread to restart all the flaming and trolling. I want this to shine a bit of objectivity on the subject of very low calorie diets and metabolism. I spent a decent amount of time explaining things in the thread that was deleted, so it was disheartening to see the information deleted. I think we can all agree that among other important goals, this community is about education.

As this thread in question is being discussed on my profile page, someone asked me to re-explain what I discussed in the removed thread. I'm simply going to copy and paste my response here:

Yes, very low calorie diets (VLCD) can reduce RMR and disrupt various components of the endocrine system. But correlation is not causation. Meaning... is it the VLCD or is it the effect of the VLCD that leads to the slowdown? Put differently, VLCD cause high rates of fat loss due to the massive energy deficits. Fat happens to be the home of the master hormone responsible for metabolic regulation - Leptin. Leptin lets out bodies know that it's fed. So if we have less fat, we have less Leptin. If we have less Leptin, we have less of a "fed" signal to the brain. If we have less of a fed signal, the body responds accordingly with the slowdown in RMR (and some other adaptations).

But the logical question you should be asking is, "Won't smaller or normal deficits also cause a loss in fat? And won't that loss in fat lead to the same sort of negative adaptations?" And the answer is yes. It's just that the VLCD will cause these adaptations to happen faster... but you'll also lose fat faster. Follow me?

This isn't an argument for people to start following VLCD as most will fail miserably. Once you factor in the psychology aspects of them, they're just not right for most long term fat loss plans. In addition, the lower your energy intake is, the more careful you have to be about nutritional adequacy. Meaning it becomes very easy to shortchange yourself of particular facets of nutrition, which can ultimately tap into "health."

For example, back in the day when the medical community was busy trying to fix obesity, they used VLCDs and weren't mindful of protein quality or quantity. Protein happens to support muscle mass. Sure, around here we're interested in preserving skeletal muscle, as that's what helps us get "toned," "lean," "athletic looking," "ripped," or whatever the cool buzzword is nowadays. But these experiments on the obese patients led to losses in other types of muscle... namely cardiac muscle, which plays an important role in being alive, obviously.

Point is, the more food you eat, the easier it is to cover all of your nutritional bases. You can still screw things up, but it's just harder.

In the thread that was deleted last night, I spoke of the Minnesota Starvation Experiment ran by Ancel Keys, which took already relatively lean men and locked them down in the lab where they were given 50% of their calorie needs for half of a year. They also had supervised exercise ever day if memory serves me correct. We know that lean people will react faster (in terms of metabolic slowdown) to big energy deficits than fat people will. Which makes sense.... fat bodies don't "think" they're starving as quickly since they have all of this excess energy in storage, right?

But even with the test subjects in this experiment being lean to start, after the 6 month period, they only experienced a slowdown in RMR of 15% or so. I mean total energy expenditure dropped by 40% or so, but the remaining 25% (above the 15%) was due to the loss in weight (tissue costs something to maintain and a bigger body is more expensive to move around). Everyone knows that as weight is lost, calorie needs go down.

The "starvation mode" totaled 15% after half a year of low calorie dieting. And that's the primary point... life requires energy expenditure. And metabolism can be thought of as our total energy expenditure in this case. Even if there is negative adaptation to low calorie dieting, metabolism can only drop so far... there's a minimum threshold that's required to keep your heart beating, to fuel respiration, power the brain, transport nutrients, digest food, etc, etc.

I also posted a few links to more current research.... one paper compared a 25% deficit to a 890 calorie intake. The low calorie intake lost more weight than the 25% group. Yes, they had a metabolic slowdown... but so did the 25% group, which corresponds to what I said above about big and small deficits.

There's a lot more that I could say on the topic. For example, NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) is turning out to play a substantial role in the reduction in total daily energy expenditure experienced on prolonged diets... big or small deficits. Which only stands to solidify the importance of exercise while dieting. NEAT drops unconsciously... so we counteract that by doing more activity consciously via structured exercise. But we won't dive into that end of things as this is already far too long.

The bottom line is this... VLCDs are not as destructive as people around here are making them out to be. People see VLCD and immediately think of anorexia. Anorexics lose weight past the point of healthy thresholds. They also aren't mindful of nutrition quality, more often than not. Not on low calorie diets are "unhealthy."

There's a time and a place where they may even make sense for some. I've used them. I've used them with some of my clients.

It's just that those times and places don't match beginners who obviously need to learn nutrition fundamentals before they go experimenting with advanced dieting techniques. If they jump right into very strict and limiting diets, there's a good chance they're going to wind up gaining weight, not because of some crazy adaptation that winds up creating stored energy (fat) out of thin air... but because they're not going to stick with it, and when they fall off the wagon, they fall hard and typically eat their faces off.

I'm not out there advocating VLCDs. Not at all... heck, I wrote the Nutrition 101 article, which everyone should have read by now, and nowhere in it did I advocate VLCD. I'm simply trying to maintain the integrity of information while steering people in an optimal direction. It seems like too many people around here are stuck on absolutes. They believe there is 100% right ways of doing things and 100% wrong ways of doing things. There's no in between. In reality, there are very few absolutes in the game of fat loss.
    WOW!!! I'm responding to this so I can have it in my topics on my page to come and read later. Thanks for posting.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    You're welcome.
  • hyper_focus
    hyper_focus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I alternate between 'average' and VLC diet days. The only difference? zero "fun food" in the VLC plan. I normally eat very healthy and gluten free, but most days a treat myself to something like a couple squares of chocolate or a scoop of ice cream. As was mentioned, on VLC diets every calorie counts and needs to be packed with nutrition. If you take a look at my recent week, take note of the 1000 calorie days. I take iron and B12 for anemia, as well as calcium and magnesium for migraines, so these cover the holes in my current plan. Aside from that, i get plenty of fiber and protein! And no hunger pangs :) (which I get when I eat higher-carb/calorie)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    My question is why run VLCD when one doesn't have to? I find dieting down to stage shape on around 2500-3000 calorie hell so to consume VLCD levels of calories?

Every man and woman I have coached for stage gets ripped to the bone and hits no less than than 1500 calories per day and gets into the best shape of the lives. Most of the men are on 2000-2100.

As for health OP, do you really believe one can consume the correct vitamins, minerals etc on such a low dietary intake? You may look healthier now, what about your bones etc?
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thank you,OP, for the very informative post. I don't think VLCD is for me on a regular basis, but it definitely makes me feel better about days where I don't reach 1200 calories and I receive that "MFP warning" upon closing my food diary.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This is only going to solidify the notion that VLCD are acceptable for the average person looking to lose weight. I have read Lyle's work and I don't see the need one someone would have to go to such measures, if they planned their diet out correctly.

I can see it now, someone who is "desperate" to lose weight. Will see this thread and immediately start a VLCD thinking they are going to reach their goals.

Oh, well this debate will never end. While I respect your post, I feel you have done more harm than good.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My question is why run VLCD when one doesn't have to? I find dieting down to stage shape on around 2500-3000 calorie hell so to consume VLCD levels of calories?

Every man and woman I have coached for stage gets ripped to the bone and hits no less than than 1500 calories per day and gets into the best shape of the lives. Most of the men are on 2000-2100.

As for health OP, do you really believe one can consume the correct vitamins, minerals etc on such a low dietary intake? You may look healthier now, what about your bones etc?
    I was alluding to the same point. My lowest calorie intake was at 1800 during my last show, and the was after a massive refeed.

If a dieter decides to immediately jump to a VLCD, then they have no clue what they are doing. That's like me saying I want to become a pilot and the first plane I "fly" is a SR-71 Blackbird.
  • stroutman81
    Options

I think you're assuming that I advocate vlc dieting. Maybe I'm wrong... but that's what your questions are pointing toward. I don't advocate them. I've been running a strength & conditioning business for a decade now and by and large, when it comes to nutrition and fat loss, my mantra is slow and steady. My mantra is based on eating as much food and nutrition as possible while still allowing for a reasonable rate of weight loss over longer spanses of time.

That said, there are instances when vlcd come into play. Some literature shows that with obese subjects, rapid fat loss from the onset leads to longer lasting fat loss over time. This is likely psychological, as you slap them in the face with the cold hard truth that it is possible for them to lose fat... and lots of it. They carry that belief with them as you transition them into a more sane nutrition strategy after a month or two.

I've used vlcd with some of my athletes who participate in weigh class sports who started far too late.

Do I believe you can get adequate nutrition on a vlcd you asked. If you structure it right... of course. But it's tough for many people since the deeper your calories go, the less wiggle room you have, per se. Just look at Lyle McDonalds protein sparing modified fast. That's not far off from how I'd structure things and that's proven to be wildly successful for a lot of folks over the years.

The point is... these aren't the devil that the media and some fitness professionals make them out to be. I'm not sitting here advocating them at all. I'm simply trying to shine some objectivity on a subject that far too may 'professionals' are painting as black/white, right/wrong.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    This is only going to solidify the notion that VLCD are acceptable for the average person looking to lose weight. I have read Lyle's work and I don't see the need one someone would have to go to such measures, if they planned their diet out correctly.

I can see it now, someone who is "desperate" to lose weight. Will see this thread and immediately start a VLCD thinking they are going to reach their goals.

Oh, well this debate will never end. While I respect your post, I feel you have done more harm than good.

Sorry you feel that way. My objective is to maintain the integrity of information and stop the dichotomous finger pointing that goes on in this industry. I've been at this for quite a while and I've learned that people prefer the truth over anything else... especially in a field that's littered with hucksters and shady sales tactics.

I was very clear in my posts in this thread that this isn't a strategy I recommend. I assume that the basic person using the Internet for the exchange of information has a modicum of reading comprehension. Maybe that's a stretch... I don't know.

I've put a number of clients on stage as well and I've never had to resort to vlcd either for what it's worth. But that's a straw man fallacy at best. I never claimed anyone had to diet like this to reach super lean levels. Not in the least. I suggest going back and reading through the thread.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    What about health inside OP? Not a lot of mention on anything bar the heart. Bones and other organs?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    What about health inside OP? Not a lot of mention on anything bar the heart. Bones and other organs?

Elaborate please.