Misinformation.

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Niner -I am intrigued. I may have unwitingly been using some of that broscience with respect to running v walking . What was the conclusion?
    The consensus I agreed with at the time was that running a mile and walking a mile were the same calorie burn. I was painstakingly taken through a physics lessons by a professor and had to admit that what I had believed (based on hearsay from fitness community) was wrong and that running a mile DID burn a significant amount more calories than walking a mile. On average it was 50 calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Hmm I thought this was going to be all soap-boxy, but I really enjoyed this post OP. Thanks!

I see a lot of misinfortmation as well. The only thing I disagree with is that the rude responses are more frequent than you think. I'm not easily offended at all, but it's so annoying to see so many passive agressive replies on here. If you look at the join date of the people who are asking the "dumb" questions, a lot of them are either new members or have a very low post count, so they may be coming here for the answers that we learned ages ago. Regardless of whether its IRL or on the internet, I don't find it appropriate to publicly humiliate someone. Just my two cents...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Niner -I am intrigued. I may have unwitingly been using some of that broscience with respect to running v walking . What was the conclusion?
    The consensus I agreed with at the time was that running a mile and walking a mile were the same calorie burn. I was painstakingly taken through a physics lessons by a professor and had to admit that what I had believed (based on hearsay from fitness community) was wrong and that running a mile DID burn a significant amount more calories than walking a mile. On average it was 50 calories.

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks
  • Jeff0416
    Jeff0416 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot of post on here where people claim they are staying within the calorie limit MFP has set for them and they are not reducing their weight. Several replies state that they need to up the calorie daily limit and they will start shedding pounds again. What is your take on this?
  • vslane68
    vslane68 Posts: 2
    Options
    THAT... WAS...AWESOME! Very fantastically written, too....

tori
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You Sir..are awesome
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Indeed
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options

"It's very important to eat every 3 hours so that your metabolism keeps burning. If you skip a meal your metabolism will slow down and your body will actually STORE FAT. So please make sure to eat every 3 hours". (<--- this claim is entirely false)

...this is problematic because people who DON'T currently eat frequently might think "Crap, I'm doing it wrong. I'm going to have to fix this". Now they're going to reschedule what could be an eating pattern that works very well for them based on the bad information that increasing their frequency will increase metabolic rate. Additionally, they'll have to eat smaller meals (because they would obviously keep kcals/macros constant) which would probably have a negative effect on adherence/satiety.

Is eating frequently arbitrarily bad? No. It's personal preference. But convincing someone that it's metabolically relevant is BAD, because this convinces them that they must follow this advice.

Lets look at a different example from a recent thread:

"You shouldn't combine carbs and fats in the same meal because it will cause your body to store fat!"

This was recently posted in a topic and not only is it completely bogus and not supported by anything, but the end result was (literally) that someone replied with:

"Thanks so much for this, I'm going to stop eating PB+J sandwiches".

things that are personal preference for losing weight. (In this list I include medical reasons, moral reasons, individual intolerances).

Both of these are important, but focus on the necessities first and customize the personal preference aspects to give you the best adherence or most enjoyment possible out of your journey.

And don't confuse the two for yourself or others.

/end rant.

I agree with you!!!!

Of course people SHOULD look up the info for themselves. We all know how to google lol. I see the eating every 3 hours thing all the time. Sometimes that works for people, sometimes it doesn't. We are all different. Our bodies tell us what we need and when. It would be great if people would tell other where they get the info from like "I read in a Jillian Michael's book..." or "Primal Dieting states that...." There are just so many philosophies out there and so many paths. It would be helpful if people knew where the info was coming from.

I also think a lot about how people freak out on here and start telling people, "YOU MUST EAT MORE! YOU'LL GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND NOT LOSE ANY WEIGHT!!" If we aren;t hungry, we aren't hungry. If we are overweight, it is a blessing to not feel hungry. If we are 200 calories under and have lot of fat stores, we are not going to starve any time soon. Some studies out there how that starvation mode is a myth (I read this in a book about intermittent fasting- there are probably other contradictory studies). The way I see it is this. I have never seen a fat starving person. You don't see an overweight person and think "Wow you must really be starving!" So if somebody who has struggles to stop eating for years finally has a day where they are under by 100 or 200 calories I think they will be just fine and maybe should not be told to eat regardless of whether or not they are hungry. But this is just my humble opinion.
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Well said.. Thank you for the post :flowerforyou:
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Often times I look at the poster's ticker. If they post something that seems iffy to me and have lost 0 pounds, and someone on the other side of the question has lost 100+, guess who I'm most likely to believe......
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It is each member's responsibility to take every piece of advice with a grain of salt.

Also, for those posting misinformation, if they knew what they were saying was false, they probably wouldn't keep saying it. I think the big problem is many of the posters giving advice only look at the OP, but never read the actual thread. That's why you have these long threads with lots of arguing, and then you have the same piece of misinformation repeated over and over, and the posters never learn the truth about what they are saying. If they simply read the thread, they would see that their beliefs are false and they wouldn't keep contributing to the misinformation.

But I think the larger issue is the misinformation all over the internet. There are too many web resources from people with MD or PhD credentials perpetuating these myths.

This!
    It's the responsibility of each individual to process all information received, determine which is the most believable and incorporate that into their knowledge and beliefs as they see fit.

That's the whole nature of adult learning - not just on MFP or the internet.
  • danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Love this! Well said :) I'm sick of people freaking out over crazy things!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I agree with you!!!!

Of course people SHOULD look up the info for themselves. We all know how to google lol. I see the eating every 3 hours thing all the time. Sometimes that works for people, sometimes it doesn't. We are all different. Our bodies tell us what we need and when. It would be great if people would tell other where they get the info from like "I read in a Jillian Michael's book..." or "Primal Dieting states that...." There are just so many philosophies out there and so many paths. It would be helpful if people knew where the info was coming from.

I also think a lot about how people freak out on here and start telling people, "YOU MUST EAT MORE! YOU'LL GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND NOT LOSE ANY WEIGHT!!" If we aren;t hungry, we aren't hungry. If we are overweight, it is a blessing to not feel hungry. If we are 200 calories under and have lot of fat stores, we are not going to starve any time soon. Some studies out there how that starvation mode is a myth (I read this in a book about intermittent fasting- there are probably other contradictory studies). The way I see it is this. I have never seen a fat starving person. You don't see an overweight person and think "Wow you must really be starving!" So if somebody who has struggles to stop eating for years finally has a day where they are under by 100 or 200 calories I think they will be just fine and maybe should not be told to eat regardless of whether or not they are hungry. But this is just my humble opinion.

I am not getting into the arguement of whether starvation mode exists or not as it will probably elicit a bunch of 'bro science', something that is contrary to the point of the post.

However, I would like to point out a few things.

1) The term 'starvation mode' as used by most people on this site (rightly or wrongly) means a metabolic slow down - NOT starvation
    2) Feeling hungry has nothing to do with whether you should actually be eating
    3) People with fat left on them can starve, and they can also suffer from malnourishment
    4) IF is about fasting for short periods of time - not an extended time and so is not relevent to the 'starvation mode' concept (or at least it should not be)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot of post on here where people claim they are staying within the calorie limit MFP has set for them and they are not reducing their weight. Several replies state that they need to up the calorie daily limit and they will start shedding pounds again. What is your take on this?

Posting in bed from my phone so excuse my shortness. First, my opinion and experience is limited and an experienced trainer/nutritionist that regularly trains clients would probably have a better view of this but that being said:

1) I think hormonal downregulation is real and I think extended periods of higher intake can help.
    BUT
    2) I think it's WAY overstated and consequently I think that
    3) in many cases, additional calories aren't the answer.

But, that's very blanket-statement of me and based on limited experience. Since this entire thread is about misinformation, let me be abundantly clear that this is my opinion.
  • fragilestrength
    Options
    this thread fills me with such joy.

sensible people, how i love to read your thoughts!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    My experience and opinion on this is IF a person has stayed "true" and have been on a consistent calorie deficit for more than 3 months and come to a point of no weight loss even with a change of intensity in exercise, raising their calories for a couple of days has seemed to restart their weight loss. Again, it has to be a consistent calorie deficit (no surplus days) and exercise had to be changed first.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    A lot of fitness junk is pretty grey-area. You'll see people argue til they're blue in the face (blue in the monitor???) and post articles/facts/studies supporting both sides.

I usually trust the advice of whoever is sexier.

Never steers me wrong.

Hahaha :)<3 it
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    Often times I look at the poster's ticker. If they post something that seems iffy to me and have lost 0 pounds, and someone on the other side of the question has lost 100+, guess who I'm most likely to believe......

Yep :)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    This should definitely be a sticky :)
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I used to go out with Miss Information. Know-it-all ***** she was.

:)

But in seriousness, there are a lot of people (on here and in RL) who seem to think their success with something is all the evidence that's needed to show it works 100%
    There is also a worrying amount of obsolete or debunked diet/exercise myths that still get trotted out here with surprising frequency - The one about wearing clothes that make you sweat more is a classic - and, sadly, too many people take the advice on here without the requisite pinch of salt.