Easy Quinoa Recipes?

Options

Replies

• sunray11julie
    sunray11julie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/shrimp-quinoa/detail.aspx made this for first time trying Quinoa about 2 months ago, since then i have made it 3 times.. the whole family LOVES it... the recipe itself is a bit bland so i add now a few more spices, salt pepper garlic... also could do less quinoa and more veggies, or substitute chicken... gives you and idea of a dish to start from.

btw... this website has lots of great recipes and great search options, reviews, photos, and nutritional info.
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump. Love quinoa and would love new ways to fix it.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    We tried this before and I liked it, but my guy and daughter did not. Maybe it would be a hit with some of these recipes!
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This was my breakfast today:

1/2 scoop vanilla protein power
    1/2 cup water.

Blend in blender and pour over:

1 Cup Quinoa
    1/2 Cup blueberries (mine were frozen and I thawed them in the micro)
    Sliced Stawberries (I had 3)1/2 Tbsp ground flax
    1/2 banana
    Cinnamon, to taste (I like alot)

It was just over 350 calories and very filling.
    You could also add some natural peanut butter if you wanted.

Also, I read in the Readers Digest that you can spread uncooked quinoa on a cookie sheet and cook in the oven @ 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes (or until golden brown). Then cook the quinoa as you normally would. It gives it a nutty flavor.
  • ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite quinoa recipe. It's easy and tastes fantastic!
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/warm_quinoa_salad_with_edamame_tarragon.html
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Last week I made quinoa for my family to try. I sauted onions and garlic and toasted the quinoa with it. Then I used chicken stock instead of water and added salt, pepper, ground ginger, and a dash of soy sauce. It was pretty yummy
  • karaemoore
    karaemoore Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    Options
    bump
  • marla_jones
    marla_jones Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bumping for later reference! yummy topic
  • ineedthis4me
    Options
    Thanks for posting - Bump for all the great ideas
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! I just made it for the first time today and could barely choke it down. I made it in my rice cooker with chicken broth. I didn't like it, so tried adding some dried cranberries. Still not good... :( I like the texture, but there's something about the aftertaste. I keep hearing about all the great benefits of quinoa, and I'd really like to like it. There are some great sounding recipes in this thread, so hopefully I can find one to make this stuff palatable! I think I'll try one of the sweeter versions next time.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hmm... after-taste?

Did you rinse it first? Some packaged quinoa comes pre-rinsed, but most is not -- you have to rinse it yourself prior to cooking it. Rinse it well with warm water (I rinse mine twice) and drain. Quinoa has a natural coating called saponin that repels insects and birds and can create a bitter taste if it's not removed; rinsing with warm water removes the saponin.
  • mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite quinoa recipe. It's easy and tastes fantastic!
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/warm_quinoa_salad_with_edamame_tarragon.html

This looks great but waay too many calories for one serving. Especially since I'd consider it a side. I guess if this were the main course it would be okay. Still, I'm thinking there are probably some easy ways to lower the calories in the dish. Thanks for posting it.

Okay, maybe the serving size is just too large. I wish everything were measured by weight and no one ever used volume as a measurement. 12 ounces seems like a huge serving to me so I think maybe they are measuring by volume.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'm super lazy. I boil it then when it's dry throw salsa in it.

I do that with everything.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten-intolerant, so I did this with rice flour:

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/

I also used zucchini AND carrot instead of one.
    Delicious, and so low calorie I ate 4 in a night.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I make a huge pot of it and portion it out. I eat it for breakfast instead of oatmeal with berries, apples, and some cinnamon. My favorite way to eat it for lunch or dinner is to add a couple scoops of sundried tomato pesto, some low fat cheese, and 1/2 a cup of taco meat. Its kind of like Mexican spaghetti!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The grains expand quite a bit, so a little goes a long way. I eat it plain on the side, but I'll also put it in stir fries, add some seasoning, etc. Really, almost anything you do with rice you can do with quinoa.
  • annettehoyt
    annettehoyt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bulk barn nearby? That is the cheapest place I have found to buy it! You can hide it in any and everything! I make really good pizza dough with it. There are lots of desserts you can put it in, oatmeal, cookies, salads, etc. It takes on whatever the dominant flavor is. I love it!
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have some i bought at Whole Foods and i think i'm gonna give it a try very soon. Haven't tried it yet.
  • happyfrogg
    happyfrogg Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is my newest food obsession. Check out foodgawker.com; just search for "quinoa" and a ton of awesome recipes come up.
    My favorites so far:
    cheesy quinoa bites : http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/01/cheesy-quinoa-bites.html
    avocado and radish salad : http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/05/recipe-for-quinoa-salad-with-avocado.html
    blueberry mango salad : http://www.veggiebelly.com/2011/06/mango-blueberry-quinoa-salad-with-lemon-basil-dressing-recipe.html

And for breakfast or snacktime, I love love LOVE 1/2 c. uncooked, rinsed quinoa cooked in 1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk. Add a little vanilla extract and cinnamon to the milk, simmer the quinoa until cooked and the pudding is at your preferred consistency (some people like it a little more soupy than others, just like varying levels of oatmeal consistency), and serve with some fresh fruit and/or nut toppings: blueberries and strawberries, strawberries and mango, banana and blueberries, pears and pecans, peaches and pecans... I could go on, but I'll stop now because I'm HUNGRY!

ETA: the coconut quinoa pudding serves 2-4 (4 servings as a dessert, 2 as a breakfast). And I love the cheesy bites because you can make a bunch and then freeze them, reheating a few for lunch or a snack.