worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• dragonsheart84
    Options
    Or another one was when I went to my daughter's check up and all the people knew that I had just had a hysterectomy so I was pretty sensitive about, the nurse asked me when I was due again. I said I wasn't and never would be again. Killed me inside to have tell her yet again that I was not able to have more babies.
  • hello0okitty
    hello0okitty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I guess this wasn't a direct reference to my weight, but it certainly felt like it. I've always been rather large chested, and when i was at my largest i was struggling to find a swimsuit that didn't look like it was made for an overweight post menopausal woman. I decided to try victorias secret and found a couple that looked promising, but naturally when i tried them on i looked like an exploding sausage. The sales lady looked me over and recommended i try Torrid or a plus-size store. As an overweight 8th grader whose main problem was just being overly busty, this was devastating.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Worst (and possibly best because it was a wake up call) was someone close to me asked me if they could talk me. The person said that she was concerned about my weight gain, and that i looked like if you stuck a pin in me i would pop. I had to concentrate to breathe and act normal the rest of the party.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Or another one was when I went to my daughter's check up and all the people knew that I had just had a hysterectomy so I was pretty sensitive about, the nurse asked me when I was due again. I said I wasn't and never would be again. Killed me inside to have tell her yet again that I was not able to have more babies.

Omigosh. Just goes to show that even professionals forget themselves >.>

I'm sorry :(
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? Thats RIDICULOUS! I'm sorry.

I have a book in my mind of all the things ever said. I could fill out several pages. My wife said a lot of it but many women have made comments to me about my weight and how it made me not a person ;)

I remember one last year before I dropped 25 lbs ... I play soccer. This girl met me online and saw that I played soccer and thought that must mean that I look like David Beckham. I was 245 lbs at the time so I had a very large belly as most of my extra 30-40 lbs sat in my gut.

She came to one of my games to meet me and as she walked in, her face changed from sultry and flirty to disgusted and angry. Later that night she asked me how I played soccer with a belly so big.

She later wrote me an angry email saying I misrepresented myself. She had it in her head I was some fit athlete guy because I said I played soccer (my profile said I was a few pounds over... granted that was probably lying, I shoudl have said I was obese because at 245 lbs I was obese but you know... a few pounds over is dating lingo for obese anyway lmao)

My pictures were all up there though to include my soccer pictures. {shrug}

People do treat fat people horribly. I've noticed since dropping most of my weight I get treated a lot better. No one wants to be fat for a reason. You get shunned, ostracized, and sent to Leper Camp. People are very cruel and unfortunately when you go through years of that type of mental and emotional abuse, it's very difficult to just drop it and not have it affect you. Some will say they have, but for the most part, I find those people are just good at covering up their emotions.
  • cheerocracy
    cheerocracy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    oh my god, those are terrible :( I can't imagine why people would be so rude and insensitive. I've been called fat before, but luckily not that many times. I guess the worst one was when I was seeing this guy and at the time I had a septum piercing. After he stopped calling me his friends told me that he would joke about me saying "the piercing fits the cow". I dont know what was worst, the fact that I found out that me being fat was the butt of the joke for him and his friends or that he replaced me with a skinny girl. It seems silly, but it really hurt me.
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    speaking of grandma's Had my hubs grandma... state " you're getting kind of heavy aren't you?"
    Are you flipping serious? half her daughters, and grandkids would pale in comparison to me... really?!?!

One of my worst fat times ever- my friends know I am super sensitive about my weight- we boat each summer and use lifejackets upside down (legs in arm holes) to float around... this is on my boat, mind you... I was climbing down the ladder, bring said friend (ex friend now) a cold beer, she was like "hurry up you look like a sumo wrestler up there"

I was so flabbergasted, I was only about 10lbs overweight... she's is super lucky she didn't get that beer in her face. that STUNG bad...

All through highschool tho folks, even my so called friends called me moo cow..
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    From my mother, of all people. I believe I was about 13 at the time (she doesn't remember/won't admit to ever saying this), & she was dragging me to Burger King for dinner (I have NEVER liked Burger King, & at that age it's not like I had that much of a say in where we ate...)

"There's a difference between 'neat' fat & 'sloppy' fat, & you're getting into sloppy territory"

The kicker? I weighed 125 & was 5'3.5". I've been the same height since I was 12, & I didn't get 'fat' until I was in grade 9 (125 turned into 175 in about 6 months)

ETA: Oh god, the floodgates opened.
    My mom's friend commented on how I always seemed to have a boyfriend. My mom said "It's because she's a *kitten*". I overheard & protested, & my mother replied with "Well, it's obvious they're not with you for your looks - no one likes fat girls"

OMG! Your own MOTHER said that about you!? Do you speak to her? If not, anyone would understand. I cannot find words to express how I feel about a mother who would say something like that about her own daughter.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    ABout a month ago my husbands friend came over and said "Oh I see you still have a lot of work ahead of you to lose that baby weight" Mind you I was 5'3 1/2, 120lbs, medium frame. Only three lbs less now. If you go look at my picture from about a month ago you will see that he wasnt saying it because I was chubby, or fat. But because he hated himself and wanted to bring others down with him. Don't believe things people say out of their *kitten* hole for a mouth. Some people just have bad character and are weak and want to make others feel as bad as they do. It doesn't matter if you are fat, people will say cruel things to you just because they don't feel good about themselves no matter what. You could be stick thin and beautiful with a great personality, someone spiteful will eventually come along and tell you that you aren't good enough.
  • diybride
    diybride Posts: 16
    Options
    My grandfather..." So you found the baby weight your sister lost."
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Oh God, some of these are horrible.
    I must say, I don't think I've ever received anything so hurtful as any of the things you guys are mentioning. I know they hurt, but please try not to let any of those things get under your skin. I know it's easier said than done, but I'm just ashamed to be part of the same species as the people who said all those hurtful things.

I've been lucky enough to have a boyfriend who is understanding and loving, but my friend's boyfriend isn't quite as nice:
    A few weeks ago, she was griping about how she hadn't had time to work out recently and was feeling fat. He says to her: "You aren't fat, you're just overweight." What a jerk.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    1. I was not a fat kid. I was actually the fittest I've ever been. I played sports and ran and did it all. I was a little ball of muscles. When I was like 7 or something, my brother looked at what was my actually very muscular calves and told me it was fat. And I was fat. And people don't like fat people. He was older. I totally believed him.

2. I broke my foot once. When it was on the mend, I was allowed to walk on it, but I was slow and limpy. I had some lady at a fast food joint look at me walking like that and say I must be due soon! Then her friend whispered to her that I was injured, not preggers.
  • mckmom69
    mckmom69 Posts: 22
    Options
    WORST: College. 20 years ago. I was about 165, 5'4. so, chubby, yeah - but I never thought of myself as this huge, fat girl. I had this guy friend and we use to hang out, study, make out every now and then. I really liked him, and he seemed to really like me, but it never seemed to go to the next level.
    At his apt one day and the phone rings. He is talking to one of his friends and I hear him say, "***** is over here, you know the (insert sorority name) with the pretty face."
    I was instantly crushed. I felt a knot in the pit of my stomach and my face got hot. All this time, I thougth we had something, but he was too embarrased to date me because of my size. Til that moment, I never thougth he saw me as fat.
    2nd WORST: 10 years later and 25 pounds heavier. In line at the grocery store. The lady behind me says to her (maybe 5 or 6yo) daughter gesturing to me, "Doesn't this nice lady look like your teacher, Mrs. So-n-SO?" Little girl replies, "No, she is fatter then Mrs. So-n-so" I was so embarrased and so was the mom.
    3rd WORST: In high school people used to tell me I looked like Demi Moore in the movie, 'About last night' at a high school reunion in 2007, some people were talking about it and one guys goes, 'you kinda look like that talk show host now, what's her name? Rosie O'Donnell? Yeah, gosh, you look just like her.' Umm, yeah dude. that is not a compliment. :(
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    Wife's elderly uncle at a relative's funeral: "Hi. I don't remember you being so fat!"
    Funny how you do remember those words so clearly so many years later...
  • tcooper81
    tcooper81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, where to begin. My comments I've gotten were mostly from cruel kids since I was fat all through my school years, preschool to college.

-My senior year, the popular kids thought it would be hilarious to vote me and 1 other person as candidates for homecoming queen. The other person was our other resident fat girl. After we really were the only 2 in the running, the same people threw a hissy fit and demanded a re-do.

-Riding the bus home from school one day when I was probably 13 or 14 years old, a girl couldn't stop staring at me and she finally asked how I could stand to be so fat. "Your ONE thigh is bigger than my entire body. How do you live with yourself?"

-I was in 5th grade when someone sent an anonymous letter to my house saying they wished I would die and that they didn't want fat people at their school. We never found out who wrote it.

-I was about 14 or 15 when I was in gym class one day and we were playing this game called matball, which is sort of like kickball and I was running the bases and the class jock who didn't even know my name despite it being a really small school screamed loud enough for everyone to hear "throw it at the fat girl, GET THE FAT GIRL" telling someone to tag me out.

I'm sure there are countless other things that I've managed to block out of my memory. I would be lying if I said I didn't feel a teeny bit of satisfaction when I went to my high school reunion and saw that I was in better shape than 3/4 of them there - the same people who gave me hell - and it was nice to have a lot of the guys tell me that I looked great, the same guys who rejected me in high school, but hey, I'm happily married so what do I care. But, I'm a nice person and I wouldn't wish bad health on anyone. I wish so many people hadn't let themselves go. Good health habits is something we need to set examples for for our children. I wish a good example had been set for me :-/
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    From ex wife:

* "You're so fat... you're wasting my youth! I am embarrassed to be seen with you"

* During sex, she stops me in the middle of it and runs to the toilet and starts gagging and then says I disgust her.

Random assorted things from the years

* Running at the park, I pass a slender girl in her 20s who is running ackwardly. One of those lucky people that obviously never really does any exercise or doesn't know how to run at the least, but stays looking in shape. Her boyfriend is in front of her and he sees me pass her and goes "oh no! HELL NO! There's no way you just let that fat f**k pass you! Get your *kitten* moving!" He was one of those alpha types with the gym rat bodies.

* Running at the park during soccer practice with my team. Group of college girls is running. One points at me and says "ewww look at his belly".

* Running at the park I pass a guy and his little girl who are running. She says "daddy why did you let the fat man pass you?" And he replies "shhhh honey we don't call people fat that's not nice"

* At the gym, I smiled at a girl who looked at me like I was a cockroach and said "dream on, I don't date fatties".

* At one of our irish pubs a couple years ago. I was standing waiting in line and this guy was trying to impress his college-aged girlfriend. He started making rude comments about how fat people need removed from the planet because they are in his way and taking up space and eating all of the food. The girl giggles.

* At the gym I was in a corner doing some dumbbell work and this precious Barbie with full make up is lifting with her boyfriend. She was seated next to the rack where the weights were. I was putting my weights away and had to move around her and she gets this annoyed look on her face, and then turns to her boyfriend and says in a mock-whisper (so that others can hear) "I can't stand going to the gym during this time, too many fat people here wasting everybody's time"

I have more. Those were the ones that stuck out this morning. Being fat is the equivalent of being a leper in the middle ages. It's pretty dehumanizing... but makes for great motivation and fuel for your workouts.

All of this just makes me hate people even more. And your ex-wife is a tool. Glad to see she is now your EX-wife.
    What I don't get are all the "is (s)he hot or not" kinds of contests which happen on MFP, dating sites, and other online places like livejournal. It's just plain mean.

I don't have anything to say about comments people made about my weight because it has never happened to me. This is probably a good thing because I probably would have opened a can of whoop *** on someone. I don't stand for that kind of BS.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    *"congratulations, when are you due?"

*my dad - "you've still got some puppy-fat" - I was 15/16 & not even overweight :grumble:

*my mum (to other family members) - "she's got child-bearing hips" - around aged 10

*after weight-loss conversations with a few different people, at the very start of my journey - "I didn't realise you'd gained weight". I'm sorry, but I'd notice if my friend had put on 20-40lbs in less than a year :sad:
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

All of this just makes me hate people even more. And your ex-wife is a tool. Glad to see she is now your EX-wife.
    What I don't get are all the "is (s)he hot or not" kinds of contests which happen on MFP, dating sites, and other online places like livejournal. It's just plain mean.

I don't have anything to say about comments people made to me about my weight because it has never happened to me. This is probably a good thing because I probably would have opened a can of whoop *** on someone. I don't stand for that kind of BS.

We as society worship the beautiful and we want to be the beautiful. We scorn the ugly because we fear being the ugly because being ugly or fat is the fast track to no social worth which goes against our programming of needing contact and acceptance. Hot or Not contests are a reflection of what is important to many people as are the constant validation threads where people are looking for others to tell them how hot they are... as are the people who go from constantly griping and searching for a mate, to finding one and then having them move in right away and posting like they are married... because that's the priority most of us are programmed to accept.

Few want to go against the grain. Few want to be the outsider. Being fat is one of the ways one can be the outsider, and as anyone who has ever been fat knows... it is not pleasant.

There was a movie called Shallow Hal with Jack Black and Gwyneth (sp) Paltrow and she had an interview where she said she was horrified by how strangers treated her when she was walking downtown in the fat suit. SHe said she'd never forget how awful people were and how invisible she felt and how it made her feel like she wasn't even a person, and I immediately connected with that interview because I have personally lived that. She could at least take the suit off at the end of the day. But through fitness and exercise, so can anyone...
  • mandi2r
    mandi2r Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    *****sorry it is a bit long**** Mine is a sad story and is hard to tell.. but okay here it goes..

Even when I went through school people mentioned I was fat even at my best weight.. But when it seemed to all go down hill is when I hit 21(exactly to the day)
    I've worked almost every birthday since I've gotten a job, and on my 21st birthday, not only did I have to work, I had to work both my jobs.
    So I go into my waitressing job, the day is busy, the cooks are slacking, food taking long time to come out, guests are upset. I end up serving a table with a man and woman, and their child. The man and child seemed okaty through the whole thing, but the woman just seemd output. Well when she left, she left even more upset. Nothing I did pleased her. i told my manager that she might be one to put in a complaint and boy, did she ever.
    About an hour after that, my manager pulled me into the office (in the middle of my shift) and told me that the lady did put in a complaint. It wasn't about the food taking a long time or not being hot enough and any of the stuff I thought it might of been. No, instead it was that her waitress made her sick to her stomach and she couldn't believe that someone so fat and ugly could be out in front of people.
    After my shift was over, I went to my other job as a photo tech at a local walgreen's. My coworkers could tell something was off and tried cheering me up. Unfortunatly it didn't work too well. Later in that shift, a customer came up to my register and when he saw me he laughed. He turned around to his friend and said to him he couldn't believe how gross I looked...
    ****Happy 21st birthday to me**** :(

Since then it seems like everyone has noticed my weight or how ugly I am and they all seem to mention it.
    After I got pregnent is got even worse. At least three times a week someone would say something about it. I've had people leave doodle of my gross huge body on a napkin instead of tips. People told me "Who ever got you pregnant must be blind or was very very drunk, hahaha".
    I've had a guy come up to me at my register, and when pretty skinny girls walk past, he turns he looks at them and say " Wow so many girls here look awesome", then looks back at me with disgust, "Well, I guess not all of them..."

I even have a coworker now that tells me I could play Santa, without any of the pillows. Or if I ate my lunch, tell me I didn't need that... :(
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Telling my friend i'd joined this site;

So you've found Facebook for fatties?!

Well at least i'm trying to do something about it!