Forgive my student loan!

Options

Replies

• MrEmoticon
    MrEmoticon Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think it makes more sense to give money to help people pay down their loans then to give money to people who choose not to work ;) Why does an educated person have to suffer when a person who chose not to go to school, have 5 kids, and not work get every kind of benefit their it. The country pays for their food, insurance, childcare, heating, electric, baby formula and other crap because they are unmotivated... seems *kitten* backwards to me!

How about we do neither?

Thank you. A childhood friend of mine got pregnant by her d-bag boyfriend because she "forgot" to take her pill and she got a $5,000 tax return for having that one child last year. So, in other words, she gets a crap load more money back than I do because she was LESS responsible. Makes perfect sense. Or, you know, no sense at all.

While I agree that the system is not perfect, I don't think we should stop helping people. I honestly think that we need to fix the system, but that will take more money. Fortunately, our tax rate is substantially lower than the rest of the civilized world, so we can afford it.

Throwing money at it hasn't fixed it before. And you know how they define insanity, right? How about we expect people to help themselves? She didn't need my tax money to help her. Watched it with my own eyes. Her child never went without anything she WANTED, much less needed. We're subsidizing idiocy right and left. People will continue to do stupid stuff if they know they won't be allowed to feel the sting of their bad choices. Trust me, I see welfare fraud in the schools I work in on a daily basis.

If a child goes without, the onus should be on the family and parents to explain why, not the whole of society.

Oh, for the love of. . .first of all, it's not just "your" tax money. In order to get Earned Income Credit, people have to work. "Welfare fraud" is the least of my concerns over what's happening with my tax dollars: how about worrying about the fact that most Fortune 500 companies pay $0 in taxes each year instead of trying to "stick it" to poor people for their "bad choices" (as if people are only ever poor because of their choices--guess what, many people don't have the privilege to go to college, get good jobs, and those people shouldn't be the only ones who should have the privilege to BREED).

And "if a child goes without the onus should be on the family and parents"? I hear so much of this from so-called Christian conservatives and it makes me want to barf. Seriously. If a child goes without (hell, if an ADULT goes without food, shelter, clothing), it's EVERYONE'S problem.

I'd be interested to meet these so-called "priveleged" people. My father was unemployed due to disability (a massive stroke) when I started college. My mom was a public school teacher. They couldn't help me financially at all. What privelege are you talking about, exactly?

And somehow, some way, I never had to rely on anyone else to put food in my belly and gas in my car. I got a job pushing paper for $6.75 an hour and shared a tiny apartment with two roommates. And I kept my legs closed specifically to avoid getting pregnant before I could afford a child. So screw people without the same motivation. No one owes them anything.

And those evil right wing christians you rant about so ignorantly are statistically more charitable than folks who would see money taken through coercion to fund "charity" (which it's not if it's mandatory, by the way.)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/conservatives_more_liberal_giv.html

But yeah, we should totally make individual problems into community problems. Because that's worked well in the past.

Yea, I like you. So much this ^^^^
  • stardivap413
    Options
    I think it makes more sense to give money to help people pay down their loans then to give money to people who choose not to work ;) Why does an educated person have to suffer when a person who chose not to go to school, have 5 kids, and not work get every kind of benefit their it. The country pays for their food, insurance, childcare, heating, electric, baby formula and other crap because they are unmotivated... seems *kitten* backwards to me!

I've never heard a more ignorant statement. While in college I had to depend on health insurance from the state and get help with buying baby formula b/c I could not make enough milk on my own, does that make me unmotivated? NO it made me a better student who obtained a degree and is now paying taxes so that someone else can have the same opportunity that I had thank you very much!
  • stardivap413
    Options

How about we do neither?

Thank you. A childhood friend of mine got pregnant by her d-bag boyfriend because she "forgot" to take her pill and she got a $5,000 tax return for having that one child last year. So, in other words, she gets a crap load more money back than I do because she was LESS responsible. Makes perfect sense. Or, you know, no sense at all.

While I agree that the system is not perfect, I don't think we should stop helping people. I honestly think that we need to fix the system, but that will take more money. Fortunately, our tax rate is substantially lower than the rest of the civilized world, so we can afford it.

Throwing money at it hasn't fixed it before. And you know how they define insanity, right? How about we expect people to help themselves? She didn't need my tax money to help her. Watched it with my own eyes. Her child never went without anything she WANTED, much less needed. We're subsidizing idiocy right and left. People will continue to do stupid stuff if they know they won't be allowed to feel the sting of their bad choices. Trust me, I see welfare fraud in the schools I work in on a daily basis.

If a child goes without, the onus should be on the family and parents to explain why, not the whole of society.

Oh, for the love of. . .first of all, it's not just "your" tax money. In order to get Earned Income Credit, people have to work. "Welfare fraud" is the least of my concerns over what's happening with my tax dollars: how about worrying about the fact that most Fortune 500 companies pay $0 in taxes each year instead of trying to "stick it" to poor people for their "bad choices" (as if people are only ever poor because of their choices--guess what, many people don't have the privilege to go to college, get good jobs, and those people shouldn't be the only ones who should have the privilege to BREED).

And "if a child goes without the onus should be on the family and parents"? I hear so much of this from so-called Christian conservatives and it makes me want to barf. Seriously. If a child goes without (hell, if an ADULT goes without food, shelter, clothing), it's EVERYONE'S problem.

I'd be interested to meet these so-called "priveleged" people. My father was unemployed due to disability (a massive stroke) when I started college. My mom was a public school teacher. They couldn't help me financially at all. What privelege are you talking about, exactly?

And somehow, some way, I never had to rely on anyone else to put food in my belly and gas in my car. I got a job pushing paper for $6.75 an hour and shared a tiny apartment with two roommates. And I kept my legs closed specifically to avoid getting pregnant before I could afford a child. So screw people without the same motivation. No one owes them anything.

And those evil right wing christians you rant about so ignorantly are statistically more charitable than folks who would see money taken through coercion to fund "charity" (which it's not if it's mandatory, by the way.)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/conservatives_more_liberal_giv.html

But yeah, we should totally make individual problems into community problems. Because that's worked well in the past.

you can't be seroius right? the ones who are not privileged are the ones who can barely make it through high school b/c they have to work or their school does not offer a good enough education, or they can't get jobs like in Detroit where they are so out of money that they had to remove street lights to cut back on city bills. Just b/c you were blessed to have two parents in the home and did not have to go to daycare and you found a job to help keep food in your stomach, dont sit and bash the ones who are really struggling and college will never be an option. pathetic for you to say that ugh
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Really? My husband put himself through school without taking any student loans and no help from his parents. Took him a lot longer, sure, but he graduated with no debt.

This may sound harsh, but you chose the school and its tuition, you chose the amount of debt to accumulate, you chose your career field...it's time to pay up.

Choosing a career should be about doing something you enjoy, not doing something that will make you more than enough money to pay your loans.

So the government (in other words, the citizens) should pay for everyone to get educated to work in a career field they enjoy, even if there's no demand for workers in that career field? I'm told yesterday was Marijuana Day. That has to be where this whole thread started. :ohwell:
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I skipped the entire discussion after the first post. But my thoughts on this are, I graduated in 2001, and just finished paying back my student loans late last year. I don't have much sympathy for those wanting loans to be forgiven.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this earlier... and given the state of public education... I do not want the government funding college education..unless they fix the WHOLE system... starting at kindergarden

That was a point I was making earlier in the thread.

The student loan situation is only a symptom of a flawed American higher education system. Loan forgiveness would be a start, but there should be far more aggressive measures taken.
  • christinet8504
    Options
    If people were going to college for fields in Science and technology, they wouldn't have a problem paying their debt. Bottom line, we have other things in our society that need funding more than the liberal arts degree you will probably never actually use. If you need you loans forgiven, as stated previously in this thread, there are ways to do it - teach inner city, join the military, ect. I was raised to pay off the debts I make and work as hard as possible to NOT be a drain on this country. But thats just my two cents.
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I made it through college without getting any student loans. it was hard, but I did it. If you can't afford it and can't pay it off, don't sign the papers. End of story.
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I still owe so much. I would love to not have to pay it back; however, it's not fair to the taxpayers to pay for part of my education.

This
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I really hate people...
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Higher education should be funded by the government.

They are going to reap the benefit of the taxes earned from the [assumed higher] income generated by said education, anyhow.

It's an investment into their own future.

=^x^=
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I just finished paying off my student loans a couple years ago. I am all for the gov't repaying or forgiving everyone's student laws, just as long as they repay me what I just finished paying them, also!
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Student Loan Forgiveness...please. Why should my tax money go to pay for someone else's loans? Nobody forced them to take out big loans. I had loans while in college and for a few years after I graduated but I worked my *kitten* off to get them paid off.

No one forced us? I didn't WANT to take out a ton in student loans, but when college is $40,000 a year, you kind of have no choice. I worked my *kitten* of to get the scholarships I could and that still didn't covor the costs...I worked 2 jobs while IN college, plus a 3rd jobb part time. and I am stil over 20,000 in debt, and graduated without being able to find a job. I currently have an extremely low paying job and am living paycheck to paycheck just to pay my bills and make sure I have enough gas to get to work to pay for those bills...a little help would be amazing wth the ridiculous interest rates that they apply.
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    The following is written from a US perspective. Other countries have different rules.

Student loans are the absolute worst form of debt right now. Whereas mortgage debt and credit card debt can be written off in a bankruptcy, student loan debt cannot.

Student loan debt is a smaller symptom in an overall larger problem. The higher education system of the US is broken, as is the economy at large. The price-value proposition of a college degree is more questionable than ever. Even though the unemployment for college grads is lower than non college grads, that is a very deceiving statistic. College grads, as a whole, are not doing very well. College grads are often forced to live at home with a parent in the first few years after college because new college grad level salaries don't often cover basic expenses. This was true even before the economic downturn started in late 2007. Since the 1980s, college graduate salaries have not kept pace with the costs of living, and the recession has only accelerated this trend.

Lots of college graduates right now are working jobs that only require a high school education. This is a symptom of a flawed economic structure which must be addressed.

So yes, I think it would be a good idea of student loans could be treated like mortgages or credit card debt, but the real problem is fixing the higher education system as it relates to the economy at large. Rein in tuition costs, eliminating certain majors. All options should be on the table right now.

Well said. A college degree used to be somewhat of a guarantee that one would land a better paying job, additionally, tuition costs were lower as well as student loan interest rates. The cost for education in this country has gotten out of hand. I live in California and the hikes that our state schools have seen in tuition are hard to believe. Now, going to a State school for an undergrad can still land you in 6 figures of debt, a right which used to be reserved for private education.

I am currently paying on my student loans, but I do have mixed feelings about student loan forgiveness. Sure, it was my "choice" to go to college, but is it really a choice or a necessity? I would be hard pressed to find a well paying job without a degree. I was accepted to private colleges, but chose a state school for the fact that I really did not think the difference in education would be worth the difference in tuition. The reasons I support loan forgiveness to an extent are that the interest rates are high and the financial cost of education in our country is ridiculous. Call me unpatriotic, but I would rather pay higher taxes and get worry free healthcare, maternity leave, paternity leave, child care and higher education. American culture is very self-serving.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Screen-shot-2011-10-21-at-Oct-21-2011-12.10.32-AM-.png
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the responses, and don't plan to. I paid my way through school, just like many others have mentioned. I chose a state school so my tuition would be less, and I paid back everything in longer than I wanted to, but I paid it back.

But here's the problem with saying that people should do that now - tuition prices have SKYROCKETED since I was in school (which was only 15 years ago). And part of the reason for that has been the ease at which students can get loans. Student loans are horrible. Tuition rates would not be anywhere close to what they are if the expectation was that people were paying out of pocket, because with the rates as they are no one would be able to afford to go. Student loans are a business, and as such those in control do what they can to maximize profit, which means increased tuition rates. The schools and the loan companies are all complicit in it.

Quite frankly - I wish we'd go to a system of government grants, but not grants that aren't paid back. Rather I think everyone should be provided the money to attend college. And I think everyone should pay it back - via payroll deduction. As long as you are working, a % of your salary goes straight to repayment. If you are unemployed then your payments stop until you find a new job.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Student Loan Forgiveness...please. Why should my tax money go to pay for someone else's loans? Nobody forced them to take out big loans. I had loans while in college and for a few years after I graduated but I worked my *kitten* off to get them paid off.

No one forced us? I didn't WANT to take out a ton in student loans, but when college is $40,000 a year, you kind of have no choice. I worked my *kitten* of to get the scholarships I could and that still didn't covor the costs...I worked 2 jobs while IN college, plus a 3rd jobb part time. and I am stil over 20,000 in debt, and graduated without being able to find a job. I currently have an extremely low paying job and am living paycheck to paycheck just to pay my bills and make sure I have enough gas to get to work to pay for those bills...a little help would be amazing wth the ridiculous interest rates that they apply.

The truth is exactly that....no one forced you to attend a 40k per year school (I personally attended a community college and then transferred to a state college - graduated less than 10 years ago and entire bill was about 25k (I only borrowed little more than a tenth of that, too). What killed me was the decision to go to grad school, (and borrow for it) and then go back and do post-grad work...but again, nobody forced me, I could have gotten a very good job (paying more than I currently make) with just my bachelors. However, life is about choices, and I opted to change my career focus, therefore, no one...let me repeat NO ONE should be responsible for my debt - except for me.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I have so many friends that have opted not to attend university so as to not have any debt. That choice was available to you and me, as well...

12029845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    America is so right wing, it's actually Alien to me :L

Mind you, I'm shocked even by England sometimes, I guess we're just uber liberal in Edinburgh.

Curious as to what you mean by that? Scottish resources are currently assisting with higher education, but you do realize that these aren't *free*...just as the NHS isn't. A "for instance" is a friend in Scotland pays for certain services (in America, we'd call it a tax), and because of where she lives - these services aren't even available. She still has to pay her share...

I mean more the attitude of the people :L like it's funny to read these types of threads, where people are SO strongly anti welfare, anti NHS etc...it's just weird :L

I know it isn't "free", but I'd rather pay higher taxes so that the whole of the country had equal opportunities and healthcare etc, rather than being selfish, paying a tiny tax and seeing others suffer as a result. Besides, you have to pay for higher education and healthcare so the tax difference balances out.

The postcode lottery thing is a huge problem, and we acknowledge that, and they do want to change that, but you can still go to other places for an operation r service if your area can't afford it. And, I'd rather have a system where, in the minority, some cases can't be treated because they're too expensive, rather than like a 9th of the population (or whatever it is) suffers cuz they can't afford ANY health care, and social mobility is stalled because poor people can't afford univeristy.

No our Uni education isn't free - it's paid for with taxes, because we choose to spend our taxis on bettering our country and taking care of our people.

Best comment in this entire hot mess of a thread, thank you.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i am all for paying my student loans back, but i seriously can't pay 1100 a month. i'm a freaking social worker. Sallie Mae made a bad investment in me!
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with this. As another poster mentioned, I worked hard for the last 4 years and earned scholarships to pay my way through school. I'm about to graduate debt free :) I don't think it's fair for people to borrow money during college and not pay it back. If you couldn't afford it and know u can't pay back the debt, take a year or 2 off, work, save and then go back to school when u have enough. Just my 0.02!