worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Even though I was pretty overweight as a child, I never got teased much. I'm lucky in that respect I guess. My mom did call my fat a few times growing up, and once when we went to the doctor and I was rejoicing that I had "only gained 10 pounds" my mom was like "No, that's very, very bad." While it probably WAS bad my 10 year old brain didn't really process that. Hearing that kind of stuff from my mom was kind of hard on my self esteem, and made me much more aware that I even had a weight problem in the first place. I lost about 20lbs when I was 13, and I've become very active in the last few months, and she's been very supportive in the best way possible about that. She's even concerned I'm going to get too thin. So I've fortunately been able to move past a lot of that, even though I still have some body insecurities.
  • pclarinetto
    pclarinetto Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The first thing my sister, who is stick thin from drug use, said when she saw me for the first time in two years was "OMG youre pregnant AGAIN!" ...no, no i was not pregnant

during my first pregnancy she commented on how big my thighs and butt were and gave me clothes that were size small and mocked surprise that i couldnt wear them

during middle school one year she wanted to get matching jeans and at school the next day she denied that it was her idea and made fun of me and even had one of her friends come over and tell me how ugly and fat i was and that i was stupid to wear the same thing as my sister because i would never look as good as her

i could go on, but i think you get the picture, the biggest offense was trying to sabatoge my marriage....yeah, she actually came on to my husband

that really sucks. sorry you have a sister like her.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Most of my worst comments came from when I was at my skinniest, including....

1."Your girlfriend is a TWIG. Dude, does she ever eat? That is creepy."
    2. Every time I didn't want to eat something at a party (I was a weirdo and didn't like junk food in high school). "Do NOT turn anorexic on me. You people are so weird. It's a chip!"
    3. I got the "Are you pregnant?" question while still in high school. Any weight I gain tends to go to my belly first, but it could not have been more than a tiny bulge and it made me feel like a whale.

I really don't like being asked if I'm anorexic when I don't pig out on junk food. High school and college kids can be a few bricks short of a load....
  • pclarinetto
    pclarinetto Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    most of mine comes from my mom. she doesn't want me to come to her work place or introduce me to people because she's embarrassed of my size. every time i go home she just says "wow, you're so big" and then makes a crying face. there was one time in junior high i was eating a donut at church and a guy told me not to eat it because i needed to watch my weight. that one really ticked me off for some reason.

yeah, people can really suck and it causes a never ending spiral. for me anyway. i get depressed, hate who i am, and then gorge myself on candy/chocolate, BUT NOT ANYMORE!!! i'm taking a stand!
  • bananapotamus
    Options
    @lordsangel:
    "Do they really think that overweight ppl want to be that way?"

If you re-read that statement from your (probably) well-intentioned post, you might find that it's just about as insulting as the other stuff we're reading here.
    So glad we fatties have you to advocate for us (sarcasm, in case you missed it).

That being said, it amazes me that even though we speak out (rightfully so) against prejudice and discrimination on the basis of race, religion, disability, etc., our society still condones this behavior against those of us who are of larger size and weight.

Ever since childhood I have been everything from the slightly chubby kid to the very fat and unhealthy to the heavy and healthy (really strong). Although people have teased me my whole life, I have been generally happy with how I look, even if not always with how I feel physically (like now, sluggish and weak).

Several years ago, when I was at my healthiest and strongest, but still pretty heavy, I was walking regularly with a friend who was considerably smaller than I, and probably somewhat less fit (by my standards, which means she wasn't very strong). During our 45 to 60 minute walks, I endured her putting herself down, telling me how badly she needed to lose weight, and I would try to be encouraging and tell her she was perfect just the way she was, and the key thing was that she was healthy and felt good. I don't generally self-hate anyway, and even less so at that time in my life, because I felt great most of the time from working out every day and eating good food. One day in the middle of her self-hating rant, she stopped, looked at me from head to toe, and said, "What about you? Have you ALWAYS been this big?"

I guess I was supposed to hate myself and say ugly things about my body and my appearance, since I was about 50 pounds heavier that she was. Rather than hurt my feelings, I felt really sorry for her (and still do, even though I don't see her much anymore).

As far as I'm concerned, fat does not equal ugly. I don't feel ugly, and I don't look at other people (of any size, build, color, facial structure, etc) and think, "oh, he or she is ugly."

God doesn't make ugly--we make ourselves ugly by the way we treat one another sometimes.
  • pinupdreams
    pinupdreams Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to be part of a dance group that did a few performances a year and went to competitions. I had been dancing for about 8 years but never really had the typical 'dancer's body'. I wasn't super overweight, though. I was about 125 lbs at 5'1 and in seventh grade. Anyway, this girl who had recently joined the group and had been dancing for a short time began complaining if I was in the front during a dance and calling me fat every single day. She wasn't even thin, just very mean. I quit dance because the bullying got out of hand and the director of the studio and our instructors did NOTHING about it, despite watching this girl bully me and having my mom and other kids' parents complain. This whole situation caused a lot of problems for me and I really resent letting some stupid girl ruin dance for me, especially because I really miss it and have lost a lot of skill.

I've also received the "You have such a pretty face..." from the most unexpected people. I had a teacher tell me I had such a nice face and that I didn't need to "dress like that". I was wearing tights and a skirt, a modest enough top, and a jacket. Plenty of thinner girls wore similar things, or more revealing things, and she said nothing.

Then there's always the friend who's in good shape, thin, or just generally not overweight who talks about how fat they are. They're fun. I think people just tend to be really insensitive and don't realize they're saying things that are hurtful.
  • corysangels
    Options
    whilst all of the insults may seem destructive they usually lead you to an attempt to correct yourself.

the worst ever would have to be;

"you look fine just the way you are"
  • IndyMode
    IndyMode Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I only read through the first page, but this is the most depressing topic ever... :( I would never say such horrible comments to anyone! and can't imagine why someone would act so cruelly.

the worst I've gotten is my mom told me I looked like I was pregnant after I gained some weight(when she knew I wasn't) I was so mad at her for saying that to me, considering she weighed more than I did.
  • Qattusa
    Qattusa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My cousin is younger than me and used to weigh much more than she does now. She lost a hell of lot of weight and went down to a UK size 8 from a size 18.

I recently had surgery and put on more weight than I normally carry. She sent me a message that said that people my size are a burden on society and that once people get as fat as me, they should be mortally ashamed of themselves. She also continued to say how women who are voluptuous aren't beautiful, but are plain ugly and simply obese. She left a tirade on facebook which offended plenty of my friends who are my size. Oh - I'm a UK 14.

Unfortunately I had already asked her to be a bridesmaid at my wedding. I can't bear the thought of her by my side judging me in my wedding dress. She seemed so much more tolerant of people when she herself was overweight, I feel really saddened she's changed this way.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It was the day I gave birth to my daughter. My mother in law poked my stomach and asked if the doctor was sure there wasn't still another one in there.

I was in the store and two girls (funny enough one wasnt that much smaller than me) were making comments bout how i dont work out and how fat i am. And i had just lost 10kg so it hurt!

Those I think were the worst
  • Qattusa
    Options

Every day of my life, my mom tells me I'm fat, ugly and disgusting. Even though I hear it every day, it still hurts just as much and my self-esteem has suffered greatly.

When I lost weight the first time, she never encouraged me, she only told me I would fail, that I was still ugly and go back to being fat.

Can I just say, that I think you are an absolutely stunning woman. I don't know what's up with your mother - maybe she's jealous of her own daughter? If I had a daughter that made an effort to improve herself I would applaud her. But you know what? I don't even think you need any improvement, you look absolutely perfect as you are.
  • outlivelymphoma
    Options
    It is a sad world when people are making such comments. I grew up with heavy parents and people seemed to have kept their comments to themselves, or at such a level that the offended one wouldn't hear. I look at it this way, at least we are out there doing something about it!
    Why can't people "cheer us on" as motivation, rather than cutting remarks? Maybe what they say speaks more about them, than us. So, keep going and go back to the gym, face off Barbie and say, "Don't you wish you felt as good as I do about myself? I am here because I am working on myself, trying to imporve myself. I've faced a rough road and not given up."
    I've gone through so much, that I just confront these people with a smile on my face and a "word of wisdom' from my heart. What are they going to do? What would her mother say if she heard her make that comment? She probably has always been the cute girl on the front row of all the pictures; not the tallest big girl at the center on the back row. I lost my dad while in college due to a heart condition, so keep on working out, stay the course! YOU ARE WORTH IT!
  • Qattusa
    Options
    I actually got a comment today on my way to the gym. Here's how I WISH the interaction had gone:

Guy: Porker!
    Me: Yeah? I'm actually on my way to the gym right now and I'm 2 stones lighter than I was 2 months ago. Obviously I'm doing something about my size. When are you going ot do something about being a knob end?

How the exchange ACTUALLY went:

Guy: Porker!
    Me: Knob end!

Still, I totally killed it at the gym and used all my anger at w@nkers like him to fuel me in my work out. Far healthier. When I hit my goal weight, I'm going to look killer. That guy will still be a waste of space. ;)

[

Ha ha ha ha, love it! That's the best way - turn a negative to something positive and whilst on the threadmill imagine running right over the low-life loser.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    From ex wife:

* "You're so fat... you're wasting my youth! I am embarrassed to be seen with you"

* During sex, she stops me in the middle of it and runs to the toilet and starts gagging and then says I disgust her.

Random assorted things from the years

* Running at the park, I pass a slender girl in her 20s who is running ackwardly. One of those lucky people that obviously never really does any exercise or doesn't know how to run at the least, but stays looking in shape. Her boyfriend is in front of her and he sees me pass her and goes "oh no! HELL NO! There's no way you just let that fat f**k pass you! Get your *kitten* moving!" He was one of those alpha types with the gym rat bodies.

* Running at the park during soccer practice with my team. Group of college girls is running. One points at me and says "ewww look at his belly".

* Running at the park I pass a guy and his little girl who are running. She says "daddy why did you let the fat man pass you?" And he replies "shhhh honey we don't call people fat that's not nice"

* At the gym, I smiled at a girl who looked at me like I was a cockroach and said "dream on, I don't date fatties".

* At one of our irish pubs a couple years ago. I was standing waiting in line and this guy was trying to impress his college-aged girlfriend. He started making rude comments about how fat people need removed from the planet because they are in his way and taking up space and eating all of the food. The girl giggles.

* At the gym I was in a corner doing some dumbbell work and this precious Barbie with full make up is lifting with her boyfriend. She was seated next to the rack where the weights were. I was putting my weights away and had to move around her and she gets this annoyed look on her face, and then turns to her boyfriend and says in a mock-whisper (so that others can hear) "I can't stand going to the gym during this time, too many fat people here wasting everybody's time"

I have more. Those were the ones that stuck out this morning. Being fat is the equivalent of being a leper in the middle ages. It's pretty dehumanizing... but makes for great motivation and fuel for your workouts.

horrible. all of those are horrible. sorry man. :(

I know. People are *kitten*. That's their problem, not ours. Mostly try to let it roll off my back because I'd rather have my friendly personality and be a fat slob than a thin, rude, and hateful a-hole.
  • outlivelymphoma
    Options
    My heart breaks for you girls! My mother has always told me I was beautiful. My dad told me I was a "hoss" and encouraged my athletism, where it was okay if you were heavier and could hit/throw the softball far.
    Even after gaining 80 pounds with birth of my twins. Question to your mom: Don't you remember that it takes a certain amount of time for your uterus to shrink?
    What might be worse is every time I talked to my father-in-law he asked ,"how is your weitght? Are you running again? How much have you lost?" My husband finally told him that if he asked me one more time "How much do you weigh?" he wasn't sure what I'd do. So, they got the point. It took two years and ultimately my determination. That was 17 years ago and my father-in-law has never asked again.
  • outlivelymphoma
    Options
    If you cross his path again, Thank him for motivating you!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I read a few pages...... The human race utterly disgusts me.
    I have had a few of these moments and it is the worst feeling in the world.. But nothing compared to some of these peoples comments. I'm ashamed to be human..
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    my worst comment received was when i was at my worst mental state in the grips of anorexia, not at my lowest weight at the time but this helped push me lower so i was around 108lbs at 5ft 6 tall and was out on one of two daily runs I ran up towards a group of 3 teenage lads and as I ran by they yelled at me " get those thunder thighs moving fat cow" - my legs were solid - never going to be tiny but I was skeletal on the rest of me a uk size 4, those kids just fed my mental state though and pushed it further at the time I agreed with everything they said - I so wish people would keep their mouths shut unless they have something positive to say!
  • AmandaNicoleV
    Options
    1. My mother always tells me that I need to lose weight after she makes a scoffing sound. She weighs about as much as I do so I figure it is her taking frustrations about her issues out on me.
    2. I used to work at a daycare and when I found out about me being 8 weeks pregnant, one of my co-workers said, "I thought you were getting bigger, be careful or you will be so big that you will topple over." when I asked what she meant, she said, " Well honey, you are already a large girl, I was only trying to say that if you are not careful, you will always remain big."
    3. I went to get fitted for my school uniform (scrubs) since I am attending a college for Medical Assisting. The man a the warehouse (I will not mention names of people or places unless nessacery) Looked at me and told me he didn't think that he had any uniforms in my size and he would have to spend hours making some for me. He looked astonished when he found out that he had not only enough uniforms in my size but he also had two plenty of them two sizes up from me. Then as I picked them up he told me that I should work on "getting lighter" since I am going into the health profession.

I have plenty more but these are ones that I will never forget. It hurts to be made fun of even if it is from people who think that they are showing genuine concern....
  • scarlieoh
    scarlieoh Posts: 18
    Options
    This is sick. I got a few comments through elementary and middle school... an interesting one is someone telling me I looked like a fat Britney Spears... I was 10 so that was more odd than anything.
    Once I told a guy I liked him and he said I was fat. That hurt.

But some of these are just heart breaking. I'm so sorry, I hope karma slaps these people in the face, they never had any right to be so rude or self righteous.