worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I had an ex who said, "Wow babe your stomach sticks out a lot when you're on your side." Note that I was about 145 lbs at 5'9", so not even technically "overweight". This same guy, when asked how a new necklace looked on me said, "It would look better if you had more cleavage." He was a horrible boyfriend in many ways. I left him for his roommate >:D
  • eljulia
    eljulia Posts: 40
    Options
    This is all so sad! PLEASE remember that for every remark that squashed your self-esteem, it was about the stupidity of the person saying it, not about you! It's something people do because they're ignorant, or it makes them feel better about themselves because even though they're bullies and mean and thoughtless, "at least they're not fat"!

i wish i could hug every single person who's been hurt by thoughtless relatives and friends and strangers. BIG VIRTUAL HUG!!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    "You're too heavy for your height - I am saying this for the sake of your health,' my ex-boyfriend, when I looked like this:

2011.jpg

Also..."the babiiiiessss," while patting my non-baby-full stomach.

My BMI was 23.8. I have never in my life even hit 'overweight'.

"No offense but i don't think my belt would fit you," said by the chick in the foreground of this pic (I am in the pink dress):

dress_09.jpg

I replied, "They asked me to try the belt on to make sure it was not too small to fit you before they gave it to you." Yes, she reaaaallly thought she was that much thinner than me that we couldn't wear the same sized belt. it was a kids-sized belt.

"I'm glad your hair is longer now, you look less like a skinny boy," a different ex-boyfriend, who at least didn't pretend it was about my health. And, "I do miss tits." I know that's more about body type, but when i have a little more weight on me i have a little more up top.

"She's cute," a boy riding past me on his bike says to his friend, "but look at her a*ss!"

When I moved from the low end of a healthy BMI to the high end: "You look normal now. You used to be too skinny."

F* off, everyone! I have never been too skinny or too fat, yet even I get these comments?
  • kibby12
    kibby12 Posts: 32
    Options
    When I started a new job & was waiting for my first paycheck to go out & buy some nice new business-y clothes, my coworkers offered me the clothes of someone else in the building who'd recently lost a lot of weight.

The woman was still bigger than me after her weight loss & the clothes they so "kindly" gave me were size 16/18. I was an 8 when I started working there. Went home & would have cried if I hadn't been so angry about it. Those clothes are still rolled up in a pile on my closet floor.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend said to me that my *kitten* was getting wider. He said this while I was getting dressed. Even though I've lost all the weight I needed to, I'm still uncomfortable with him seeing me naked.

I think it's time for a new boyfriend. That was nasty.

Why? You like people better when they lie to you?

There are a lot of mean comments people on this thread got about their weight, but also some comments were not that bad.

It just confirms that there is no "polite" or correct way to tell someone, not talking about strangers, but family and friends -- hell, even the person you are sleeping with! -- that if they want to stay/get in shape, now would be a good time to do so :p As a society we won't beat obesity by ignoring it. No matter how shocked that person is, it's a lot better than a blood pressure medication prescription or diabetes diagnosis...

...just quietly, "your *kitten* is getting wider" is not a POLITE way to comment on weight. if someone is genuinely concerned, they show genuine concern. not that difficult to figure out, really.
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options
    Went on a night out with my boyfriend and friends.
    In a new top and skirt feeling like I looked great from the compliments my bf was dishing.
    Get there and go outside 3 guys walk past me and say "your a fat ****ing *****" .
    All un provoked. My boyfriend went nuts but I told him its not worth it.

It did put a downer on my night but I kept dancing anyway haha.

Some people are just cruel.

It made me think why does my size make me a *****? Haha
  • soozm
    soozm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My sister's 21st birthday party. I was 18, was recovering from the knee injury which was the catalyst in my weight gain. I had gained maybe about a stone (14lbs) in 3 months as my knee was knackered and I couldn't walk, never mind train any more. I had been training 6 days a week up to that point.

Anyway, grandma walks in. 'My god Soozm, you've just weight on'. My only response was 'Well, yes I have' and ran off (as fast as I could with a gammy leg) in floods of tears and missed the entire party

I know its a simple comment, but at the time I was very down about the pain, the lack of training and my weight gain.

This was 10 years ago now and it still hurts. There again, same grandma declared my cousin an antisocial lesbian for taking a female friend to a family party when she was single. Maybe I got off lightly lol!
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    Not so much a comment but when I was in school, one immature little scrote of a guy (for a phrase) used to go out of his way to insult me for no reason, doing things such as poking me in the stomach and laughing at the "podge", as he used to call it. :indifferent:
  • cimonroe
    cimonroe Posts: 36
    Options
    This doesn't apply to me....but for ladies that aren't prego and get asked how far along they are...that's gotta be a wet blanket for sure ;(
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    A director said to me after a lost a part and she was telling me why: "You're a beautiful girl but there's a certain image you have to have as an actress. blah blah blah blah There are so many things you can't change about yourself, but if you can you might as well do it. (In showbusiness language that means you're too fat and you need to lose weight if you want a part.)

The worst have all been from my family though. My brother was told me I resembled a boulder. My mom and sister have had interventions about me losing weight (I was a US size 12 at the time, not even that big). A lot of "Should you be eating that?" AND "Did you eat that all by yourself?".

Oh and in elementary school, a kid called me "flubber" in front of the whole 5th grade (including a teacher who did nothing). Everyone laughed and some kid shouted, "Hey Laura, Where's the cream filling?" I haven't been able to eat a twinkie in years...
  • flossie61
    Options
    Oh wow!.....many many of them.Let's see...."If you lost 50 lbs. I'd go out with you" "What's bigger than a whale? Gayle!" but the worse was my ex-husband 40 years ago. He would say "You're fat ugly and I hate you..Why don't you go back home and live with your mother. You should pay me room and board that I let you stay here with me"
  • nicoleh82
    nicoleh82 Posts: 52
    Options
    all that in one weekend - i think you need new friends (except for the nice one)
    I can't really narrow it down to one specific comment as there are so many -

This weekend from friends -

'Have a cheeseburger'
    ''I don't want to hug you incase I break you'
    'You're not my type. I like girls with t*ts and a**'
    'Hey fatty' - sarcasm.

but then I had a different friend come up to me and say -

'You're looking really good Lucy. All that hard work is paying off'

>_<
  • bryonysten
    Options
    Ok, so many, I actually repeat these to my friends to make them laugh and try and take the sting out though:

Gran: (in a devon accent) - "ooh, you do look like your Auntie Bessie, your Auntie Bessie was a big girl"; "You're so fat (I was a UK size 10 at the time)" and "I never said you were fat, I said you were well covered"

My mum, when I was 15 in response to me being upset about some boy "Don't worry Bxxxx, when you get older boys go less for looks and more for personality" - I know she meant it well, but ouch!

When I was out once with a friend, and a guy (who was trying to pull her, and did even after this!!!) called me fat, and then tried to make it better by saying 'I like fat girls, there's more cushion for the pushin'" ewwww!

Been called a wrestler, constantly asked if I lift weights, am a swimmer etc. Was called 'Humber' at school (by my friends), after the wide humber bridge.

Been imitated by people, including a customs agent once, again, pretending to have broad shoulders (can you tell I am slight paranoid about them!)

Been told there are no clothes in my size in shops (I'm a UK 16 / US 12)

And, anywhere you travel in the developing world (I currently live in Delhi, India), people use the word fat constantly, because you ARE compared to them. This doesn't help.

Ah well, onwards and upwards. At least we can change our size, some people can't change their sh*tty personality!

Stay strong. xx
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Oh gawd, this thread has made my heart sting. They stick around for years, don't they?

I used to get an awful lot of "ooh, you've got a lovely face..." with an inevitable paused that smacked of an unspoken "shame about the body".

A distant male relative eyeing me up and saying "what did you have for lunch, a salad?" paired with a smirk. Nice.

A girl in the playground - "walk over here". I did so. She pointed and shrieked "moving mountain!"

"God, you really are fat, aren't you?" - boy in my year in school when I was standing next to him.

A girl who went on to enter a relationship with a man I dated briefly dedicated a whole blog post to criticising me (someone she'd never met!) and saying she didn't know how her boyfriend could have expressed any interest in "that uppity fat b*tch").

Yeeeeah. Nice. But not as nice as the big two finger salute I can inwardly give them now. But seriously; people need to realise that *kitten* really sticks, and words can make a pretty effective battering ram. I don't understand how looking a certain way makes people legitimate targets for nastiness, but if I sat here pondering that I'd become something of a misanthrope :(
  • KittyHeff
    KittyHeff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The worst comments that were ever made about my weight were made by me when looking in the mirror!!! But not anymore.
    I think I'm the bomb and if someone else measures my worth based on my size, well shame on them!!!
  • sdicochea81
    sdicochea81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I was in my teens my grandmother said " How do you expect to get a man if your fat?" very painful... long since learned that there are guys that either dont care about body and/or prefer heavier woman...
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    out in a club with my friends when a group of guys stood next to us said 'do you think they were lifted in by a crane?'
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    My sisters when we were all teens were actually the worst(they were so thin when we were in school)...now I'm the thin one!

Got accused of doing hcg diet, subsequently subjected to a lecture on the dangers of this by some crazy woman at a school function...people find it hard to accept that eating better and exercising more makes a huge difference.

"Do you think you'll be able to keep it off, though?" too often to count.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    From my darling 5 year old daughter at dinner one night (in a restaurant no less). She told me that I have blubber. In her defense, they had been learning about the animals of the arctic and how they survive and that they need the blubber to keep them warm. At the time she said this I had already been into my weight loss regime for a week or two, so I didn't take it harshly.
  • F1uffy2
    F1uffy2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    On a night out with a group of friends and having lost 3 or 4 lbs, so feeling relatively slim, well as slim as a 15stone 4lb at the time gal can feel. We we walking to the next pub and came up to a group of men with me infront. One of them kindly shouted at the top of his voice "Step aside lads, wide berth coming through." Needless to say my friends wanted to kneecap him but I was just so embarassed. The night was ruined for me and after a cry in the ladies toilets I went home early. I'd love to see him now. I'm not at goal yet and still have another dress size to drop, but after lifting weights at the gym I'd kneecap him myself!