worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My first boyfriend ever introduced me to his friend, and as we were walking off I paused to get my phone out of my bag. I could hear him say to my bf ahead of me, "she's a bit fat". I know that doesn't sound terrible but it ruined my afternoon and was the first time I looked at myself critically in the mirror.
  • Uglyduckling2swan
    Options
    Random people asked me whether I was pregnant
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Happened on FB last week,as it happens.

My best friend, who has always been very fit and in great shape always makes snide remarks about my weight...when he was 190 lbs, I was 260 lbs and thats one of the reasons why I am on here. Last week I posted about pre-ordering NFL game shirts on FB and said that the NFL site didn't mention what the sizing was. He said that seeings as it's an american size, there would be bound to be one that would fit me.....Ironic thing is, i weigh less than him by almost 15 lbs now. Still hurt.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I am a dance instructor. I teach ballet, lyrical, jazz, cheer and hiphop.
    I was always really skinny until I was blessed with my beautiful daughter, and ever since, I have struggled with my weight.
    Anyways, one of the dance moms so kindly stated "I always thought dance teachers had to be in good shape"

Some people are just really mean.
    The worst comments I used to get were always off my mother.
    On holiday in Florida once she kept telling me how big and fat i looked etc and that i needed to do something about it.
    Then when i was getting married and went dress shopping i found my dream dress and she was like "it would look better if you lost some weight"!

I then went on to lose just over 2 stone, had my dress taken in from a size 14 to a size 6-8 and even when i lost the weight she never said how much better i looked :(

But its over now anyway, we have not spoken for over 2 years because of other issues. xx
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am sure there is a pregnant women board somewhere on the Internet where people complain about the lack of compliments about their pregnancies :p

That's Murphy's Law applied to weight loss.

Keep going strong everyone :)
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    We were having family photos done, and my grandad sais they needed a wide angled lense for me!!! I hold no grudge towards him, at least he had the decency to speak his mind. That was part of my motivation to get losing.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if it's not one thing, it will be another. I've never been teased about my weight, but I have been relentlessly taunted about my "Mr. Ed teeth" and lack of mammary glands! You have to get to that point where you have to either accept what you are and say FFF the haters, or change whatever it is with whatever exercise plan, diet, plastic surgery or cosmetic dentistry is available to you (in my case, even braces couldn't help me, Willllburrrr)... There are a whole lot of beautiful a-holes in the world...
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When I was 11-12, my dad used to pinch my stomach and mockingly ask, "What's all this?" and then laugh. This continued until I was almost 14 and developed an eating disorder.

When I was 17 and in recovery for what turned into bulimia, I put on about 20lbs. Again, mocking and rude comments from my father, both about my weight and my eating habits, such as, "You're not going to throw that up when we get home, are you?" when *in public* at a restaurant.

I'm 19 and over the fall and winter I had a relapse into anorexia. He began making comments every time he saw me - sometimes about how pretty I've become, other times about how sick I looked.

I'm currently trying to recover again. But already twice this year he's told me that it looks like I've gained weight and should watch out.

I hate him so, so much.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My mother told me I was fat and my friends were only using me for the sweets. I was 11.
  • gonnaloseweight06
    Options
    This is tough. I've been insulted many times due to my weight (especially living/attending high school in East Los Angeles, where people loudly voice their opinions); however, the worst comments I've received are from people who aren't so slender themselves.
    I've received "you were so pretty before/you looked really different back in elementary school/now"; "the fat one" ; "if she were thin, she'd be very pretty" (mind you, this was only once); and worse - I've always gotten plenty of attention due to my weight (even though most of the time I wasn't the hugest one in class and there were plenty of chunkier girls).

Anyway, the most embarrassing insult I received was back in sophomore year when this immature short boy would bug me in front of everybody and declare that he liked me and wanted to go out to McDonalds with me and eat a big mac. Obviously, this was a reference to my weight problem. Everybody would laugh and not say anything until a guy was like "you're messed up" obviously knowing it had to do with my weight. During the entire year, he'd bug me, blow kisses at me, just stare at me, and just because his stupid friend, whom he looked up to, sarcastically called me pretty. Seriously, I'd be doing my work in class and they'd be blowing kisses at me... or one of them would just keep staring at me until it creeped me out. It wasn't until the skinny guy declared he no longer liked me that they left me alone. I felt so harassed.... they'd make comments as if I wasn't there, wanted me to wish them a happy bday, etc. And this guy was the "desirable" one - everyone had a crush on him. Ugh I'm glad that's over. Oh yeah, and I wasn't even the fattest girl in class and they had fatter friends.
  • msgsarah
    msgsarah Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I just want to say that my heart goes out to everyone on this thread. As part of the human race, I am ashamed that other people can be so thoughtless and cruel. Thank you all so much for sharing as it shows your strength and good progress now, relative to when those awful comments were made. I was especially surprised at all the mean comments from parents and grandparents. That is just horrible parenting and I hope to god when I have children they never, ever feel hurt by comments from me.

My story doesn't really hold a candle to any of these, but after reading so many, I had to share it. I was a normal sized child who suddenly put on a lot of 'puppy fat' when I was about 11-12, but I was somehow blissfully unaware of it. As a young child, I used to do occaisional modelling jobs which I found great fun. One of the things I did every year was a catwalk bridal show, where I would be dressed up in various bridesmaids outfits, which I loved. But I still remember when I turned up for the fittings one year, they just point blank said I was too fat now and couldn't appear in the show. That was a massive shock as I hadn't ever really been aware of my weight until that point. It wasn't said maliciously, but just as a cold, hard fact. That was really the start of being self-aware.

I went throughout secondary school then feeling fat and awkward, but I didn't make the connection with healthy eating, or my parents didn't for me. An occaisional few 'fat' comments that really stung, and feeling as if no boy would ever find me pretty, same as most on here. I gradually lost some of the puppy fat, but it took me until I was about 20 years old to get down to my current size, a UK 10 (US 6?). I'd still like to drop a few pounds in an ideal world but I know I'm healthy now and exersize, so I'm not too unhappy.

However, I still get occaisional mean girl comments from my husband's little sister of all people. I try desperately to get on with her, but she's one of those girls that just don't like other girls (his older sister, however, is wonderful). This little sister used to be quite chubby herself until a couple of years ago, when she suddenly developed issues with food and started doing a ton of running and dropped a lot of weight. Since then she's been full of gibes at me even though I'm only slightly bigger than she is (one dress size!) (and, I might add, quite a lot taller, so its all relative).

Too many to count but a couple of notable examples were 'I'd kill myself if I was bigger than a size 8 (UK) -knowing full well that I'm a size up from that. And then when I was really pushing myself doing a ton of exersize before my wedding to her brother, she said on my hen do that 'If it was me getting married, I would lose loads of weight before MY wedding' (implying that I hadn't!). But there's no hope for her. She's insecure and *****y.

This thread is great and just reminds me how brilliantly everyone on here is doing and shows up the awful, repulsive people that made those comments and will probably never be as deeply ashamed of themselves as they should be.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    On a family holiday in 2010, my mum asked about my weight and so I told her what I thought I was. The reply was
    'The only time I was that heavy was when I was pregnant with your brother'

It was the wake up call I needed to get my butt in gear!
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym the other day with my husband. I normally wear a t-shirt that coveres most everything. I bought a new yoga top that was really cute. Even bought it in a size larger so it wasn't snug on my tummy. A lady walked up to me and asked how much weight I'd lost. When I looked at her in shock, she said she noticed the flab under my arms. Still in shock I really didn't know what to say. She then went on to tell me to lose the weight on my thighs and butt I would need to start eating better.

Telling this story at Easter, my daughter said I should have slapped with with my bat wings.

I'm just picturing this and laughing out loud!!
  • LucyvdPelt
    LucyvdPelt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    more than once skinny "friends" were saying:

well you wouldn´t look good if you were skinny - you are made to be rounder than others

made me freak out every time
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    From ex wife:

* "You're so fat... you're wasting my youth! I am embarrassed to be seen with you"

* During sex, she stops me in the middle of it and runs to the toilet and starts gagging and then says I disgust her.

Random assorted things from the years

* Running at the park, I pass a slender girl in her 20s who is running ackwardly. One of those lucky people that obviously never really does any exercise or doesn't know how to run at the least, but stays looking in shape. Her boyfriend is in front of her and he sees me pass her and goes "oh no! HELL NO! There's no way you just let that fat f**k pass you! Get your *kitten* moving!" He was one of those alpha types with the gym rat bodies.

* Running at the park during soccer practice with my team. Group of college girls is running. One points at me and says "ewww look at his belly".

* Running at the park I pass a guy and his little girl who are running. She says "daddy why did you let the fat man pass you?" And he replies "shhhh honey we don't call people fat that's not nice"

* At the gym, I smiled at a girl who looked at me like I was a cockroach and said "dream on, I don't date fatties".

* At one of our irish pubs a couple years ago. I was standing waiting in line and this guy was trying to impress his college-aged girlfriend. He started making rude comments about how fat people need removed from the planet because they are in his way and taking up space and eating all of the food. The girl giggles.

* At the gym I was in a corner doing some dumbbell work and this precious Barbie with full make up is lifting with her boyfriend. She was seated next to the rack where the weights were. I was putting my weights away and had to move around her and she gets this annoyed look on her face, and then turns to her boyfriend and says in a mock-whisper (so that others can hear) "I can't stand going to the gym during this time, too many fat people here wasting everybody's time"

I have more. Those were the ones that stuck out this morning. Being fat is the equivalent of being a leper in the middle ages. It's pretty dehumanizing... but makes for great motivation and fuel for your workouts.
  • Kath_21
    Kath_21 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have three.
    1) My friend got kicked out of a nightclub and I left with her and the bouncer told me to go McDonalds.
    2) I was walking with some skinny girls and a group of drunk guys walked past and one of them said 'I'd do all of those girls, even the big one.' I knew he meant me.
    3) I was in a taxi and the driver asked if he could tell me something without being offended, he said I'm a beautiful girl who is large and if I lost weight I'd be even more beautiful because of my face, unlike his daughter who lost weight and still wasn't pretty. That was a weird taxi ride.
    I've been called fat so many times but these 3 just stick out more to me and they all happened last year when I was at my biggest.
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was dating a guy for a few weeks and all was going well. We went to dinner on a beautiful night to my fave beer garden pub. We were laughing and having great conversation and then he told me it sucked he could not introduce me to his friends. I asked why and he said, You are pretty and funny and cool but, I usually date thin girls, so they would not understand and would give him crap over it. I sat there stunned.

A few minutes later I excused my self to the restroom and left, jumped in my car and parked a couple blocks away and cried. I swore from that moment on I would never date anyone who could not accept fully, no matter what my weight is.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I've been big for a lot of my life, but fortunately have never come across such comments. I really feel for you guys, keep your chin up and at least you can do something about your weight, but it's harder to get rid of the ugly from the inside.

Sorry I don't mean to be rude, but those people are DuMB!!!!! thumbs down to them!
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'll never forget mine!

I had picked out my prom dress for senior prom. I went for my fitting and brought my mom. I was not a dress person, so this was the first dress I had worn since my mother was dressing me (so...kindergarden? Ha ha!). I loved the dress, and felt great in it! I couldn't wait to show her!

Well, she took one look and the first thing she said was, "Honey, you really need to lose weight."

Not the worst comment for a person to make, but coming from her at that moment? I was crushed! I instantly felt fat and gross in it. I had already put my downpayment on it, so I had to I buy the dress even though I felt horrible in it. It made me feel fat and disgusting during prom, and its only now (I'm 29) when I'm even considering trying a dress on again.

Now that I'm getting married soon, I'm still debating whether or not I want my mother present during wedding dress hunting and fittings.