Am I using him?

Options

Replies

• TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    As long as you've been up front with him, he completely understands it's platonic friendship,

It will never be a platonic relationship if he's into her.

This, 100%.

I'll be very honest here...if a girl is attractive, she's got two kinds of friends, women, and men that would definitely at least entertain having sex with her given the opportunity.

Now before you women center the crosshairs lol, there are exceptions of course...male friends who are absolutely insanely in love with their significant others are usually among them...but seriously, I'm not wrong here. Add to that him actually being emotionally attached, and it will never be platonic.

In my experience I have been on both ends of the stick. Where I was carrying a torch for someone who was a good friend and would spend time with me and he knew how I felt but was a gentleman and never took advantage. It never happened with me and him and eventually I met someone and moved on and we remained good friends like nothing happened. This is how I feel grownup mature people should handle situations like this. With class and respect. I have also been the person who didnt return the feelings at the time and I handled it the same way. With honesty and respect. Eventually they moved on too, except for the last one ;) now we are married. So these things can have a happy ending. But as long as there is respect and honesty and caring with no selfishness then I think the golden rule applies. Treat him as you would like to be treated. And I for one would not like to loose a friend simply because I was attracted to them and they didnt feel the same way.
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    There's this guy who has liked me for a while now, but the feeling isn't mutual. Since he likes me, he is pretty much willing to do anything for me, and I was wondering if what I'm doing is considered "using" him.

I don't use his money or anything like that. It's just that, when none of my friends want to go hiking, or to the river, or to the mall, or wherever, he will drop everything and go with me. I ask him if he wants to come, and I can always count on him saying yes. I have never asked him to pay for anything, or anything like that because I don't want him to think that we're dating (although he sometimes insists on paying.ugh).

So, should I stop doing this? Am I just getting his hopes up?

Yes, and yes.

I agree!
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Cause I'm not that much of a "Lady"
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a little too proud to ever have a sugar daddy lol

Good for you and you're definitely a lady for this. However, since you sound like a bit young i'll give you the advice that if a guy wants to be a friend even after its clear that he's into you, you're basically just keeping him on the hook which is possibly one of the most F'd up thing you can do to any person
  • taunto
    Options
    "A woman has a close male friend. This means that he is probably interested in her, which is why he hangs around so much. She sees him strictly as a friend. This always starts out with, you're a great guy, but I don't like you in that way. This is roughly the equivalent for the guy of going to a job interview and the company saying, You have a great resume, you have all the qualifications we are looking for, but we're not going to hire you. We will, however, use your resume as the basis for comparison for all other applicants. But, we're going to hire somebody who is far less qualified and is probably an alcoholic. And if he doesn't work out, we'll hire somebody else, but still not you. In fact, we will never hire you. But we will call you from time to time to complain about the person that we hired."
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options

Good for you and you're definitely a lady for this. However, since you sound like a bit young i'll give you the advice that if a guy wants to be a friend even after its clear that he's into you, you're basically just keeping him on the hook which is possibly one of the most F'd up thing you can do to any person

Even though HE chooses to stick around??
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    "A woman has a close male friend. This means that he is probably interested in her, which is why he hangs around so much. She sees him strictly as a friend. This always starts out with, you're a great guy, but I don't like you in that way. This is roughly the equivalent for the guy of going to a job interview and the company saying, You have a great resume, you have all the qualifications we are looking for, but we're not going to hire you. We will, however, use your resume as the basis for comparison for all other applicants. But, we're going to hire somebody who is far less qualified and is probably an alcoholic. And if he doesn't work out, we'll hire somebody else, but still not you. In fact, we will never hire you. But we will call you from time to time to complain about the person that we hired."

The "Friend Zone". LOL

Ladies, if you have a guy friend that will have sex with you if you asked him to.... it's not platonic!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    As long as you've been up front with him, he completely understands it's platonic friendship,

It will never be a platonic relationship if he's into her.

This, 100%.

I'll be very honest here...if a girl is attractive, she's got two kinds of friends, women, and men that would definitely at least entertain having sex with her given the opportunity.

Now before you women center the crosshairs lol, there are exceptions of course...male friends who are absolutely insanely in love with their significant others are usually among them...but seriously, I'm not wrong here. Add to that him actually being emotionally attached, and it will never be platonic.

In my experience I have been on both ends of the stick. Where I was carrying a torch for someone who was a good friend and would spend time with me and he knew how I felt but was a gentleman and never took advantage. It never happened with me and him and eventually I met someone and moved on and we remained good friends like nothing happened. This is how I feel grownup mature people should handle situations like this. With class and respect. I have also been the person who didnt return the feelings at the time and I handled it the same way. With honesty and respect. Eventually they moved on too, except for the last one ;) now we are married. So these things can have a happy ending. But as long as there is respect and honesty and caring with no selfishness then I think the golden rule applies. Treat him as you would like to be treated. And I for one would not like to loose a friend simply because I was attracted to them and they didnt feel the same way.

I like you =).

I also agree...but even still, that level of respect is definitely an exception (sadly). I too have had female friends who wanted more, and I would never cross that line by taking advantage...EVER. However, I also wouldn't take them out hiking, or to dinner, the zoo, shopping, or movies either. That would be leading her on and wouldn't be very respectful on my part. Phone friends (or text in todays society), or group friends...sure. Actually physically going places with just you two?

Not so much.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    BASED on how women are answering this thread and the OP and women wonder why we treat woment he way we do?

what do you mean? I've let him know I don't like him as more than a friend. I don't tell him to ditch his friends for me; he chooses to. How am I responsible for how he chooses to act/react?

Because either

1) you don't *get* how men work... You tell him you're not interested and then you ask him to do things with you because you're needy for a man around - making him THINK you're interested (it's how a man's mind works) "She knows I like her, she says she doesn't like me, but...she is asking me to do stuff with her...she's just playing hard to get." Or, "As long as she keeps asking me to do stuff with her, she likes me, and there just might be hope for a relationship."

Or, 2) You DO get how men work, and you're a user.

BTW, ladies don't use men.... Other types of females use men whether for their money or what they give you. Which category do you fall in?

This is kind of a side topic, but one that I feel is true for the most part. Guys don't really want to be a friend as a rule. They want the girl - or they don't. I could go on about the type of guy that does want to fill the *best friend* role for a girl...and they are usually the types of guys that enjoy listening to yammer about your latest shopping expedition (hint: most guys don't)...

12029845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • taunto
    Options

Even though HE chooses to stick around??

Ofcourse he's going to choose to hang around you...why would he not. Some people have lost sense of reality when it comes to these things and in his mind, if he's nice to you, you might see him differently. This might happen or might not happen. However, in the meantime he's throwing out all other opportunities to be with somebody else seriously and he's on your hook
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Why don't you set him up with a girl that will appreciate him? If you don't care, then no big deal.
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    My wise Mother once told me "if you have to ask my opinion on the subject, I'm afraid you already know the answer, dear...."
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    just give him some , you like him anyway..
  • crisanderson27
    Options

The "Friend Zone". LOL

Ladies, if you have a guy friend that will have sex with you if you asked him to.... it's not platonic!

Even then man...most of them don't think these guys would.

Do you know how I convinced my ex? I asked her to allow me to send out an email from her account, to ten past random male friends (of HER choosing!), complaining about me, and just BARELY hinting that she had past interest in them and might be interested in pursuing it.

Know how many bit?

Ten.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    The "Friend Zone". LOL

But...
    but...

No, you're right.

Dammit.

Okay, change my previous answer about the just being friends to "unless you want to have sex with him, you probably shouldn't talk to him anymore."
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    just give him some , you like him anyway..
    :laugh:
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    If you had to ask that means your thinking that you are using him and well it sounds like you are. You should just sit down with him and have a talk with him about how you feel about him. Then if he still wants to do the things you want when no one else wants to hang out with you then by all means you should take him.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I'm a little too proud to ever have a sugar daddy lol

but not too proud to string this poor sap on when he could get on with his life and meet a woman who wont use his time and money? Classy the chick using the sugar daddy has more morals.
  • aksunshine
    aksunshine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think you know the answer to this already. You have to let him go. No hanging out, no using him as your back up plan. Face it - you're just not that in to him, and it's not fair to him. How would you feel if you totally liked this guy and he told you he couldn't be more than friends, but he called and asked you to hang out. You'd still go and hope that one day....he'd want you!! And only you and you'd fall in love and be happy ever after ;) But in reality - he's just not that into you. :(
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    BASED on how women are answering this thread and the OP and women wonder why we treat woment he way we do?

what do you mean? I've let him know I don't like him as more than a friend. I don't tell him to ditch his friends for me; he chooses to. How am I responsible for how he chooses to act/react?

Because either

1) you don't *get* how men work... You tell him you're not interested and then you ask him to do things with you because you're needy for a man around - making him THINK you're interested (it's how a man's mind works) "She knows I like her, she says she doesn't like me, but...she is asking me to do stuff with her...she's just playing hard to get." Or, "As long as she keeps asking me to do stuff with her, she likes me, and there just might be hope for a relationship."

Or, 2) You DO get how men work, and you're a user.

BTW, ladies don't use men.... Other types of females use men whether for their money or what they give you. Which category do you fall in?

This is kind of a side topic, but one that I feel is true for the most part. Guys don't really want to be a friend as a rule. They want the girl - or they don't. I could go on about the type of guy that does want to fill the *best friend* role for a girl...and they are usually the types of guys that enjoy listening to yammer about your latest shopping expedition (hint: most guys don't)...

This girl gets it =D.