I hate water

Options

Replies

• aphillips8180
    aphillips8180 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of carbonated and flavored water. :)
  • Jem_Girl
    Jem_Girl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I really don't know of any good water substitutes that don't give me other issues (tea causes GERD to act up, etc.), but as another person who dislikes water, my best suggestion is also MIO. As someone who dislikes most artificial sweeteners for the flavor, MIO impressed me. So far the most non-fake tasting for me is the Mango Peach. You can add as much as you want to get it to not taste like water anymore (ends up tasting more like kool-aid if you put in a lot). The hubby actually appropriated mine for the house, so now I need to get another for work.
    I was a former non-water drinker until I tried MIO and have been hooked ever since. I am going on week 14 without soda and coffeee.

Wanted to add that I completely understand hating water. For a long time I thought I was the only one, as I've hated it since I was a little kid but my parents would still try to force me to drink it (didn't work). It still makes me gag sometimes (or worse), and if I drink it plain it has to be filtered. May have something to do with how hard our water is in this area. But I've survived 31 years drinking, on average, much less than 1 glass of pure water per day, so don't worry. lol
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You know, It IS a little work to actually look up the research on a topic like this. It is. It's a little work to backcheck the studies cited and see what the methodology used was. Sometimes there's even a little math involved (YIKES! MATH!). It is a little work to check into the credentials of who did the studies. But you know what? People on all sorts of threads talk about how we should "care enough about our health to..." You know what? You should care enough about your health to learn WHAT makes a study scientifically credible, and you should care enough about your health to check every assertion to be sure it meets those criteria.

Math doesn't scare me. I went to college for accounting. And what do you do then when a study comes out a few years down the road, discrediting what we originally learned? What do you believe then?
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Here. There's your citation you called for.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/541881-caffeine-and-muscle-cramps/

Including their sources at the bottom of the article.
    What exactly is this supposed to show? I don't see any scientific evidence related to caffeine and hydration in any of the cited sources, nor really in the article itself.

It wasn't in reply to hydration. It was in reply to my input earlier, saying that too much caffeine can cause muscle cramps. I'm not getting into this war you guys have going on when it comes to water and other sources of hydration. I merely suggested a way for her to try to learn to like water. I myself have suffered from muscle cramps in my legs when I had absolutely nothing to drink all day except caffeinated drinks. That is when I looked up any possible causes for it and found the link between my day and possible causes was caffeine intake. And I believe I found it on webmd.com, not this article.

Like I said though, I'm not getting in on this war you guys have going on. I didn't say anything about hydration.

The thing is, she didn't ask for ways to like plain water. She asked for things to make hydration taste "not like water." As I pointed out, there has not been proved a causative connection, nor even really a correlative one, between caffeine and cramps. One guy doesn't a study make. It's interesting. It is. I'll be watching it. But your personal anecdotal evidence adds nothing to the already skimpy scientific data.

And that's fine, that she didn't ask for ways to like water, but what's wrong with people suggesting ways for her to try? And you know, just because my experience doesn't help prove anything, does that mean I'm not supposed to say anything about it? I am taking evening primrose oil supplement, and the nurse at my doctor's office said that it can make your breasts very sore and tender. Just because she didn't give me scientific sources, does that mean I shouldn't believe her? Does that mean she shouldn't have said anything to me? This website is for people to help each other, and that is what all of us are offering, except for some of you who are picking on people and saying "prove it! prove it!" to our suggestions. Not all of us run to the computer to check sources when we hear of somebody's experience or opinion to prove them wrong or right. Forgive me for having better things to do with my time. But not all of us are completely gullible believing everything we hear either.

Wait. I'm "gullible" because I don't accept scientific assertions without evidence to back it up? Is this a new definition of "gullible" I'm unfamiliar with?

No. I'm saying I'm not gullible for believing water is good for me.
    I'm also saying that just because I don't look for scientific evidence doesn't mean I automatically believe what I hear.
    And btw, I am also a girl, as you referred to me as a he earlier. I'm the girl in my picture, not the guy. That's my husband.

I'm sorry I called you he.

But since you're wrong that water is better for hydration than other beverages and seem unwilling to change your opinion despite multitudes of scientific evidence presented for you, you are gullible. What's better in general depends on too many things to actually discuss. As at least two people on this thread have mentioned (and given examples of) times when soda, or milk or coffee are "better" than water--not for hydration, for other considerations. It is simply not true that water is "better" than other beverages. And you should take the time to look into the actual scientific evidence if you're going to state something as truth.
  • LilRedPitViper
    Options
    I love those MIO water flavorings. Right now Strawberry Watermelon is my favorite. They have zero calories, too. The energy ones do have a bit of sodium that you need to account for. Bonus - you can flavor a TON of water with one of the little pods.
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think water is an aquired taste and you will like it eventually. this is what I told myself and it actually worked out; I only drink water during the day now.
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options

What exactly is this supposed to show? I don't see any scientific evidence related to caffeine and hydration in any of the cited sources, nor really in the article itself.

It wasn't in reply to hydration. It was in reply to my input earlier, saying that too much caffeine can cause muscle cramps. I'm not getting into this war you guys have going on when it comes to water and other sources of hydration. I merely suggested a way for her to try to learn to like water. I myself have suffered from muscle cramps in my legs when I had absolutely nothing to drink all day except caffeinated drinks. That is when I looked up any possible causes for it and found the link between my day and possible causes was caffeine intake. And I believe I found it on webmd.com, not this article.

Like I said though, I'm not getting in on this war you guys have going on. I didn't say anything about hydration.

The thing is, she didn't ask for ways to like plain water. She asked for things to make hydration taste "not like water." As I pointed out, there has not been proved a causative connection, nor even really a correlative one, between caffeine and cramps. One guy doesn't a study make. It's interesting. It is. I'll be watching it. But your personal anecdotal evidence adds nothing to the already skimpy scientific data.

And that's fine, that she didn't ask for ways to like water, but what's wrong with people suggesting ways for her to try? And you know, just because my experience doesn't help prove anything, does that mean I'm not supposed to say anything about it? I am taking evening primrose oil supplement, and the nurse at my doctor's office said that it can make your breasts very sore and tender. Just because she didn't give me scientific sources, does that mean I shouldn't believe her? Does that mean she shouldn't have said anything to me? This website is for people to help each other, and that is what all of us are offering, except for some of you who are picking on people and saying "prove it! prove it!" to our suggestions. Not all of us run to the computer to check sources when we hear of somebody's experience or opinion to prove them wrong or right. Forgive me for having better things to do with my time. But not all of us are completely gullible believing everything we hear either.

Wait. I'm "gullible" because I don't accept scientific assertions without evidence to back it up? Is this a new definition of "gullible" I'm unfamiliar with?

I'm also saying that just because I don't look for scientific evidence doesn't mean I automatically believe what I hear.
    And btw, I am also a girl, as you referred to me as a he earlier. I'm the girl in my picture, not the guy. That's my husband.

But since you're wrong that water is better for hydration than other beverages and seem unwilling to change your opinion despite multitudes of scientific evidence presented for you, you are gullible. What's better in general depends on too many things to actually discuss. As at least two people on this thread have mentioned (and given examples of) times when soda, or milk or coffee are "better" than water--not for hydration, for other considerations. It is simply not true that water is "better" than other beverages. And you should take the time to look into the actual scientific evidence if you're going to state something as truth.

I didn't say anything about water being better for hydration. I never said anything about that. My comment was only about how to incorporate more water into her diet. I am not the one you were arguing with over this subject. Don't put words in my mouth and accuse me of being unwilling to change my opinion, it wasn't my opinion you are referring to. I said I believe water is good for me. That's it. I also never said water was better than other beverages, I told her to not consume too much caffeine.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Try Mio. It makes water taste like koolaid
  • FitLink
    Options
    You know, It IS a little work to actually look up the research on a topic like this. It is. It's a little work to backcheck the studies cited and see what the methodology used was. Sometimes there's even a little math involved (YIKES! MATH!). It is a little work to check into the credentials of who did the studies. But you know what? People on all sorts of threads talk about how we should "care enough about our health to..." You know what? You should care enough about your health to learn WHAT makes a study scientifically credible, and you should care enough about your health to check every assertion to be sure it meets those criteria.

Math doesn't scare me. I went to college for accounting. And what do you do then when a study comes out a few years down the road, discrediting what we originally learned? What do you believe then?

The same thing you did in the first place. You base your decisions on what evidence is most sound methodologically and which is done by people who are considered the most respected in the field. I don't see why the fact that something could be proved wrong at some point in the future is cause to reject good solid evidence now. How would one guess which alternative to the most methodologically sound research would end up being correct in the future? This is how science works. You change your beliefs when you have better evidence.

It's certainly not an excuse to not do any research at all and just assert whatever comes into your head.
  • FitLink
    Options

I didn't say anything about water being better for hydration. I never said anything about that. My comment was only about how to incorporate more water into her diet. I am not the one you were arguing with over this subject. Don't put words in my mouth and accuse me of being unwilling to change my opinion, it wasn't my opinion you are referring to. I said I believe water is good for me. That's it. I also never said water was better than other beverages, I told her to not consume too much caffeine.

You said water was better for you than other beverages. It's NOT.
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options

Ok, this time you prove YOUR point. Find where I said that, quote it and prove me wrong.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Fizzy drinks and beer are water with stuff added. If you said "fizzy drinks and beer don't hydrate you," you have said "adding something to water negates the positive effects of water." How do you think they make "fizzy drinks?" I'll tell you. They take water, and they add stuff to it. Are you now claiming that who adds the stuff matters? If I add it at home it's not harmful, but if say, Pepsico adds it, it is?
    Ok so your saying a whole load of stuff that i havnt even said. You seem pretty determined to carry on this pointless argument, well im not retaliating so please just give up trying to say that i said this, that and the other when i quite clearly havnt.

do you even know what you're saying?

"Thats quite dumb really, water has tons of benefits that all these other drinks don't."

How do 'these other drinks' not have the same benefits as water if they're just water with stuff added to them? You are saying that by adding something to water, it takes away the benefits.
    I don't know why you keep quoting the same line i said, pretty sad actualy. And at what point did i say that adding things to water takes away the benefits?!? I said that water has tons of benefits that other drinks don't, duhhh! So if i was to drink a big glass of water and then a big glass of full fat coke, im sure it doesnt take a rocket scientist to tell me which is going to be a lot better for me.

You are saying that other drinks don't have the same benefits as water
    Because other drinks are just water with things added, that means you are saying that adding those things takes away the benefits

Or in other words, you don't have a clue what you're saying. Just like how you said you were going to leave this thread 20+ comments ago.
    Ok to the point. I never said they don't have the same benefits, i said they don't have AS MANY BENEFITS.... U understanding so far??? Any wonder i keep responding when your just stating pure crap and things i havnt said.

Again, you don't seem to understand your own words. If they don't have as many benefits, then they don't have the same benefits. If I have 3 apples and you have 5 apples, what we have is not the same. We are not equal. Water, on the other hand, is equal to other beverages. Unlike us.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Drink whatever you want. Don't like plain water? Diet soda, non-diet soda, Crystal Lite, coffee, tea, juice, milk, sports drinks, beer... All hydrate you just about as effectively as water, the only downside is that some of them have calories you would have to account for. Hydration is all about FLUID, not about water.

WTF??
    Thats quite dumb really, water has tons of benefits that all these other drinks don't.

Not to mention that artificial sweeteners trick your body into thinking it's getting sugar and then when it doesn't get any it can go a little haywire! Some people also believe it stimulates your hunger hormone.

Better to avoid them if you can.

As well as beer, which completely dehydrates you. I'm sorry, but I just cannot believe someone actually justifies that ANY beverage is hydrating. WOW.
    Woo, and i thought i was quite blonde ha!

Well why don't you all take it up with the Mayo Clinic because they believe it does.

If you've found support for the Mayo Clinics findings on this, please I'd like to see it. Being totally serious, I'd like to see proof of this.

Are you saying you don't consider the Mayo Clinic to be credible in the area of nutrition and health? Because if not, who would you consider a more respected source?

Or are you saying there are no links to the Mayo Clinic's support of this? Because those links have been posted in this thread more than once.

Here are two, just in case you aren't able to find them without a map.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinatehttp://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283d-drinks/AN01661
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options
    Fizzy drinks and beer are water with stuff added. If you said "fizzy drinks and beer don't hydrate you," you have said "adding something to water negates the positive effects of water." How do you think they make "fizzy drinks?" I'll tell you. They take water, and they add stuff to it. Are you now claiming that who adds the stuff matters? If I add it at home it's not harmful, but if say, Pepsico adds it, it is?
    Ok so your saying a whole load of stuff that i havnt even said. You seem pretty determined to carry on this pointless argument, well im not retaliating so please just give up trying to say that i said this, that and the other when i quite clearly havnt.

"Thats quite dumb really, water has tons of benefits that all these other drinks don't."

How do 'these other drinks' not have the same benefits as water if they're just water with stuff added to them? You are saying that by adding something to water, it takes away the benefits.
    I don't know why you keep quoting the same line i said, pretty sad actualy. And at what point did i say that adding things to water takes away the benefits?!? I said that water has tons of benefits that other drinks don't, duhhh! So if i was to drink a big glass of water and then a big glass of full fat coke, im sure it doesnt take a rocket scientist to tell me which is going to be a lot better for me.

Because other drinks are just water with things added, that means you are saying that adding those things takes away the benefits

Or in other words, you don't have a clue what you're saying. Just like how you said you were going to leave this thread 20+ comments ago.
    Ok to the point. I never said they don't have the same benefits, i said they don't have AS MANY BENEFITS.... U understanding so far??? Any wonder i keep responding when your just stating pure crap and things i havnt said.

Again, you don't seem to understand your own words. If they don't have as many benefits, then they don't have the same benefits. If I have 3 apples and you have 5 apples, what we have is not the same. We are not equal. Water, on the other hand, is equal to other beverages. Unlike us.

Yeah, unlike us, because it was NOT ME who said that. You are quoting a girl with the screen name Charloo something. That was not me who was arguing that issue. I knew you were confusing me with somebody else. Go back and re-read the thread and you will find that it was not me (jpuderbaugh) who said that.
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options
    Drink whatever you want. Don't like plain water? Diet soda, non-diet soda, Crystal Lite, coffee, tea, juice, milk, sports drinks, beer... All hydrate you just about as effectively as water, the only downside is that some of them have calories you would have to account for. Hydration is all about FLUID, not about water.

WTF??
    Thats quite dumb really, water has tons of benefits that all these other drinks don't.

Not to mention that artificial sweeteners trick your body into thinking it's getting sugar and then when it doesn't get any it can go a little haywire! Some people also believe it stimulates your hunger hormone.

As well as beer, which completely dehydrates you. I'm sorry, but I just cannot believe someone actually justifies that ANY beverage is hydrating. WOW.

Well why don't you all take it up with the Mayo Clinic because they believe it does.

If you've found support for the Mayo Clinics findings on this, please I'd like to see it. Being totally serious, I'd like to see proof of this.

Are you saying you don't consider the Mayo Clinic to be credible in the area of nutrition and health? Because if not, who would you consider a more respected source?

Or are you saying there are no links to the Mayo Clinic's support of this? Because those links have been posted in this thread more than once.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinatehttp://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283d-drinks/AN01661

Big talk from somebody who is very WRONG on who they are quoting. Again, it was not me who was involved in this argument.
  • FitLink
    Options

Ok, this time you prove YOUR point. Find where I said that, quote it and prove me wrong.

I apologize. I can't even find the post about muscle cramps, and that's where it was. Guess there wasn't one. My bad. I'm not sure why I wanted a source for that. So you don't believe you have to drink plain water to be healthy?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

WTF??

Big talk from somebody who is very WRONG on who they are quoting. Again, it was not me who was involved in this argument.

They are not even refering to your posts, so why are you getting so defensive about it? Where did they insinuate it was you??
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options

I apologize. I can't even find the post about muscle cramps, and that's where it was. Guess there wasn't one. My bad. I'm not sure why I wanted a source for that. So you don't believe you have to drink plain water to be healthy?

What I said in the muscle cramps post was that if she consumes too much caffeine without being hydrated enough it can cause muscle cramps. I never said anything about water being the only source of hydration.
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options

WTF??

They are not even refering to your posts, so why are you getting so defensive about it? Where did they insinuate it was you??

Exactly my point. she said I said these things, so I told her to quote me, and she posted these, which I did not say. That's why I'm defensive.
  • FitLink
    Options

Yeah, unlike us, because it was NOT ME who said that. You are quoting a girl with the screen name Charloo something. That was not me who was arguing that issue. I knew you were confusing me with somebody else. Go back and re-read the thread and you will find that it was not me (jpuderbaugh) who said that.

And I didn't reply to you, unless you are the person who wrote. "Ok to the point. I never said they don't have the same benefits, i said they don't have AS MANY BENEFITS.... U understanding so far??? Any wonder i keep responding when your just stating pure crap and things i havnt said.". That is who was quoted, that is who was replied to, and it was replied to from the exact post it quotes. I don't believe that is you. I KNOW it wasn't a reply to you, because I clicked "Quote" from HER post, NOT yours. That is in fact why I always include the prior quotes--so it's clear what is being replied to. So what is your issue with this reply?