What to put on popcorn

Options

Replies

• new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I like a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on my popcorn.

This!!! OMG love it!!!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    A hand pump oil mister works excellent for getting spices to stick to your popcorn. :smile:

I'm justa a cook!
  • amberdawn02
    amberdawn02 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    black pepper and hot sauce

or

cabot cheddar cheese shaker

This weekend, went to see a movie and brought a bag with popcorn & cheddar, but added some M&M's and peanuts... not something I do often, but so yummy and worth the few extra cals.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves popcorn! We have a hot air popcron maker and she then just sprinkles salt on it; it's obviously not as nice as microwave popcorn as it doesn't have the fat but I challenge you to buy the micro popcorn, DON'T cook it, but open up the bag and have a look inside. The congealed fat that you see in there (which is what makes it taste so nice) is horrific and must be just like the inside of our arteries if we eat it!

This!! We have recently purchased an airpopper & I won't ever go back to microwave! It's nasty!

Anyhow, I use too different seasonings that really aren't too bad calorie rise IMO, one white cheddar & one kettle corn...it's a powder that I sprinkle on my air popped popcorn....very yummy!
  • FollowMeFit
    FollowMeFit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I go to our local warehouse store (Sam's Club) and buy the regular popcorn seasoning salt that they use commercially. Yes, it is high in sodium, but hey, if i'm giving up sugar and fat, I got to keep at least one vice and I do love popcorn. I air pop the corn and spray it with Pam (or generic cooking spray) while warm and quickly shake on the season salt. It sticks well and taste great. Not as good as the butter but pretty darn close to be healthy. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano

Taco seasonings (chili powder, cumin) tabasco sauce

Cinnamon sugar

Season All (salt based ... celery, paprika, onion flavors)

do you just sprinkle it on dry popcorn, or do you use butter to help it stick?

I sprinkle it on popcorn that was popped in oil. That has more moisture than air popped. For best results sprinkle on toppings when popcorn is still warm. I love my Presto Powerpop microwave bowl .... just a teaspoon of oil is all it takes.

For air popped corn you will most likely need to add moisture ...."I Can't Believe It's not Butter" spray, lime juice (have to try this) or add melted butter.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    We use an oil popper and pop it in a little bit of olive oil. We sprinkle it with salt and then add different flavors on different days: Garlic, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, ranch, Parmesan, etc. Mmmm!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My husband introduced this to me which i thought sounded GROSS but its so GOOD...
    Mustard.
  • katiejneely
    Options
    Little tip I found on pinterest (doesn't really have to do with toppings). Take a brown paper bag and add about 1/2 cup popcorn. Fold top over 2 times and microwave for about 2 minutes. Delicious, healthy microwaved popcorn for just pennies! No added preservatives, oil, junk that the microwave bags have in them!!!! So good and works perfectly!
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I second the Cajun seasoning. A little different with a zing of spicy.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    A hand pump oil mister works excellent for getting spices to stick to your popcorn. :smile:

I'm justa a cook!

I keep meaning to pick one of these up for greasing other things (like my egg poaching cups) so maybe this'll mean I'll actually pick one up now :)
  • alexiaschulz
    alexiaschulz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast ~ buttery, cheesy and salty ~ with 8g of protein per serving

Yes yes yes, yumminess!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    In an effort to get myself to snack healthier, I'm upping my popcorn intake (I am a salty snacks junkie D:)

Obviously drizzling butter all over it isn't the best option, so what do you put on your popcorn?
    (I know I can eat it dry, but sometimes I want to switch it up a bit)

For the people suggesting spices - do you put butter or anything on it to make the spices stick? (I air-pop my popcorn, so it's dry)

I don't have a microwave, so we only make air-popped popcorn. I would rather have real butter than the fake stuff, so I melt 1 T of butter on the stove and stir it in to the popped popcorn (one spoonful at a time, stirring to coat evenly). Then I sprinle with kosher salt while shaking the bowl to ensure even saltiness! My daughter and I love popcorn like this....tastes so fresh and buttery! We won't even eat microwave or movie theater popcorn anymore.
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    I found this great bagged popcorn called Skinny Pop. It is only 135 cal for 3.5 cup serving. Think it is seasoned with just salt and sunflower oil. Best bagged popcorn I ever had.
    LOVE it~...It's soooooo yummy!
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast ~ buttery, cheesy and salty ~ with 8g of protein per serving
    [/quote
    ^^Yup!]
  • Pet03
    Pet03 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have used some garlic powder, onion powder, a little salt and some smoked parika. However it was buttered. I am thinkin of trying it with a little olive oil and those spices to see how it tastes but the smoked paprika is awesome.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    Oh ya, chili powder is awesome too!
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I mix some splenda and cinnamon and then pour in the bag and shake it up. I love cinnamon :D almost as much as I love popcorn.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Salt and vinegar