would you tattoo....?

Options

Replies

• BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Do not do a signifcant other's name. Bad idea in my opinion. Only names I will put on my body are those of my children.
    If it's a bad idea to tattoo your wife's name, it's probably not the best idea to tattoo the names of "your" kids onto your body, either.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    totally.

4_tattoo-of-crossed-out-ex-james_web_applied2_grande-560x560.jpg
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have my husbands name and our wedding day tattoed on my ring finger and he has my name and the date on his!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo of butterflies that symbolize my children. Someday I may get their names too but not sure about that. My hubby has one that has the kid's names.

As for a SO's name......I agree with the superstition thing but at the same time I would have no problem getting something to commemorate my hubby (we're thinking about matching tattoos). Even if he did something stupid and I had to hurt him he is the father of my children and they are the greatest things in the world so I have him to thank for that!!!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Nope, wouldn't ever tattoo something that references a SO or family member that wasn't already dead.
  • bubbles143
    Options
    my boyfriend and i have matching anchor tattoos,
    i think matching tattoos and symbols are fine,
    and someday my boyfriend is going to get a pinup of me and my nickname (bubbles) under it,
    my dad has my mom's name and they've been married 22 years,
    i think it all depends on how serious your relationship is, if it's the real thing, go for it, if you won't ever regret loving the person, you'll never regret it.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo of a burning heart with a banner wrapped around it that contains the names of my wife and my son & daughter. I would not change any part of this...EVER! :heart:
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I know a guy who gets all his girlfriends names tattooed on him and has about 7 of them, the new girls name is there but all the others have a cross out line through them lol

Ewww... I would never even date a man like that!

I think that's hilarious.

Well it would save the awkward convo a lot of ladies like to have about past relationships lol
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get a name but there is no reason why. If I liked the way names looked I might reconsider. Symbols or what not are fine. My next tat will be a dragonfly - if they can work my husband's name into the body go for it.. My husband calls me Bug, always has, he is going to get a lady bug above his heart.
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have plenty of tattoos, but we decided that names were just not a good idea. We got matching tattoos instead. Something that when we look at we know it's for each other. :)
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Do not do a signifcant other's name. Bad idea in my opinion. Only names I will put on my body are those of my children.
    ^^^this^^^
  • daughter_of_a_hungry_ghost
    Options
    tattooing your spouses name on your body would be a bad idea. Getting an image that reminds you of that person would also be kind of bad. If you break up with him then how would you try to forget them when you had a car or a rose tattooed on your body.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have 2 tattoos for my husband. One is of his name.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    one of my shamrocks is meant to represent my husband. I prefer illustrations to text, so I wouldn't choose to write anyone's name on me, but I have zero problemo with creating symbols that represent the important people in my life.

<---- The ladybug is for my mom. She has a ladybug on her tattoo, too.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    tattooing your spouses name on your body would be a bad idea. Getting an image that reminds you of that person would also be kind of bad. If you break up with him then how would you try to forget them when you had a car or a rose tattooed on your body.

I always wonder about why people want to entirely forget about people just because they broke up.

I can understand abusive relationships, and obviously negative things that people want to let go, like a just generally negative relationship. But a lot of people I've talked to don't seem to want to remember their exes, pretending like they didn't exist, and their relationships were just your average "Hey, we fell in love, we spent time together, then we decided it didn't work" kind of deal. Doesn't the time spent with them mean enough to want to remember them? Wouldn't it seem like a waste of time to spend years or months of your life with someone, only to pretend like it never happened or forget them?

Or am I just really weird that way?

And that question wasn't directed at you, per se, it was more a general sort of wondering, since I've seen that with a lot of people, and can't seem to wrap my head around it.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    The only tatoo I have ever even considered getting was a circle TM on my butt so I could say I trademarked it. :smile:
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    never...names or symbols.

I know several people who had names tattooed and they broke up within a year, one girl had her BF's astrological sign tattooed on her calf and she dumped him 2 months later (she's a different astrological sign) so now she has what I call a 'meaningless tattoo'.

Personally I wouldn't even tattoo a matching sign/symbol of a SO. I am currently designing a tattoo to remember my father, and that's about as far as I would go.
  • MaryBowen27
    MaryBowen27 Posts: 132
    Options
    I manage a tattoo studio and we get a lot of cover ups of names. On the other hand we had a couple that was married for 35 years come get each others names. I figured they certainly earned it!

There's no right or wrong answer but we kind of joke that there's only three names you should ever get tattooed on you, your parents, your kids, or your pets! :P
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    That reminds me... When I told my ex husband I had enough of his BS and was leaving him he got my name tattooed on his chest. What a dumbass
  • FadedFreckles
    FadedFreckles Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would never get any name tattooed on me, either my husband or my children. It just makes me think that the person can't remember their loved ones name without reading it daily as reminder!

I would consider a symbol or design for someone I loved though.