Couch to 5K anyone?!? We start on monday!

Options

Replies

• mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I tried looking up that coolrunnings web site and it comes of 4domains or something. Also, I am interested but how do you even start and what do you do to work your way up???? Does the site explain it all?

Google it without the "s" at the end. coolrunning not coolrunnings.
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    W5 D1 DONE DONE DONE!!!!

I didnt think I could finsih the last run,s o I walked for 20 seconds and then picked it up again and finished the last run!!! I cant believe it. I am so happy!

Thanks to everyone for their positive thoughts on this thread adn good luck to everyone running this week :)

i cant wait til Friday for my W5D2
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    W5 D1 DONE DONE DONE!!!!

I didnt think I could finsih the last run,s o I walked for 20 seconds and then picked it up again and finished the last run!!! I cant believe it. I am so happy!

Thanks to everyone for their positive thoughts on this thread adn good luck to everyone running this week :)

i cant wait til Friday for my W5D2

WOW! This is fantastic!!! Gratz!!!!!!!! It must feel so good!!!!!!!! Proud of you!!!!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    ok found the site by googling but what i want to know is how you track the time?? Do yu get a stopwatch?

You can get a stopwatch, or use your cell phone like I did for the first week. But the best thing I've found is to use a podcast on an mp3 player or ipod.

These podcasts are many and varied and you can find one list of them here, along with other great resources for the C25K:

http://www.c25k.com/

And the baby that is your avatar is hysterical and oh so cute!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    W2D2 done and done. Another one in the bank! When am I supposed to start liking running? I keep waiting for those endorphins to kick in, but it hasnt happened yet.

I hear you. :) It was a struggle for me, but the last time I jogged - in week 3, I came home and it felt like it was not torture - it was just something that I 'do'. :)

It is work, but it's for such a great cause: You and your health!!!! Keep it up, I'm so proud to be a part of a group of people who are courageous and strong enough to make these kind of hard changes in their life. It will come, I guarantee that you'll feel the benefits. I can't say for sure if you'll ever like to run. But I know you'll like what it has done for you and your body.

HUG!!!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    W3D3 Done!
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    w2d3 completed....now on to week 3....a little intimidated!
  • Wecandothis
    Options

Don't be. It turned out being not nearly as tough as I thought it would be. :) You'll see!! I know you can do it!
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I really dreaded week 4 before I started it because it seemed so tough, and here I am, DONE with it and it really wasn't so bad! Now I can start worrying, I mean mentally preparing for :bigsmile: next week which will culminate in a 20 minute run Friday :noway: .

Hope everyone has a fantastic holiday weekend...Enjoy!
  • caseyamber
    Options
    Finished with W2D3. I am looking forward to week 3. How many people are going for time or distance? I think I will do time, because Im still pretty slow :wink:
  • sld63
    sld63 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    completed w2 d2 yesterday... felt GREAT! I don't think the running will ever be 'easy' but knowing how good I feel about the accomplishment makes it easier to go do.

heh, plus... I happened to be really mad about something that happened at work - boy was I able to take it out on the treadmill! :mad: I need to channel that inner demon every time! :laugh:
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Don't be. It turned out being not nearly as tough as I thought it would be. :) You'll see!! I know you can do it!
    Thanks...I keep seeing the week fivers and I can't wait to get there! Just for the the accomplishment
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Finished with W2D3. I am looking forward to week 3. How many people are going for time or distance? I think I will do time, because Im still pretty slow :wink:

Time. I go for time. I fully admit that I'm VERY slow - but that's how I have to do it. I'll start worrying about distance and pace later. :) I'm just very happy to be out there doing this.
  • debtdummy
    Options
    hi peeps it really does work i learnt to run 5k in 2 months and did it in 34 mins 28 seconds and i had never ran before,
  • JNC87
    JNC87 Posts: 16
    Options
    w1d1 DONE! i have sort of falling behind as ive gotten sick so its hard to keep my breath going nicely or really have the energy for it. but im trying
  • dwnjjugalette
    Options
    Ugh... The fires around my area have been making the air unbreatheable for running. I have had to put C25K on hold. I am going to work on doing the program on the eliptical i guess. I really want to be on the open road again!!!
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Awww thanks Kurneckc!!!! I just went to do W5 D2 and got through one 8minute run but when I strated to run the second one....my MP3 player's battery died and i had NO IDEA wehre I was as far as knowing how long to run for, so I just kept running, then I'd walk for a few minutes and then I'd walk if I got tired. im sure that I didnt make the full distance that 8 minutes is suppossed to cover but its better than nothing.

I get really self conscious and i dont like to run without any music because then i can hear myself breathing (and by that I mean huffing and puffing lol) and I can hear my feet pounding the sidewalk and I just tend to psyche myself out so i was really disappointed when the MP3 died!!!

Im so happy with the fact that week 5 is somewhat done. i think i am going to take the plunge and attempt the 20minute run for day 3 and if I have to walk for a few seconds to a minute every once in a while it should be alright!!!!

good luck to everyone running today and tomorrow. I am going to be attempting this long run Sunday morning ...wish me luck (eeeeek)
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It's so good to read this thread! If I hadn't found this, I'm not sure I would have gone past week 4!

I couldn't believe it when I finished the 20 minute run! I went veeerrrryyyy sssslllllooooowww on that one - just to be sure I'd make it through.

I'm on week 6, finished d2 tonight - two 10 minute runs. I did my walking at 3.2 mph, jogging at 4.2 mph. On the shorter ones I've done 3.5 mph walking and 4.8 jogging.

I figure the speed doesn't matter so much right now - it's continuing to build confidence. Believe me, at week one, two or three I didn't think I could jog for 20 minutes... and my next one will be 25. I know I can do it! I'm up to about 2.25 miles/workout now.

I have a 5k scheduled for the end of October.
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    After spending quite a while reading through various couch to 5 k threads... I notice not many comments about tying the running into wt/inches lost. What is your experience in that department?
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I really dreaded week 4 before I started it because it seemed so tough, and here I am, DONE with it and it really wasn't so bad! Now I can start worrying, I mean mentally preparing for :bigsmile: next week which will culminate in a 20 minute run Friday :noway: .

Hope everyone has a fantastic holiday weekend...Enjoy!

Great job! I'm finishing week 4 tomorrow and trying to mentally prepare :) for week 5 as well. WE CAN DO IT!!! Just keep visualizing it as DONE already! :) (I wonder if that will work?)