Closed Diaries?

Options

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary open for a few reasons. I like feedback from my friends on here on what I've been eating, and if they have any suggestions. I also like the fact that I can open my diary up to others that need help with low calorie or healthy meals, they can ask for the recipe and I can give them it :) It's gives them a chance to see what other options there are out there. I love being able to see my friends diaries to see what they are eating, to ask their opinions on certain foods, etc.
  • mici0427
    mici0427 Posts: 54
    Options
    Coming from having an eating disorder I have a hard enough time eating food let alone having others pick at it. I don't look at others' diaries because I eat what I can, they eat what they can, and everybody is happy. I haven't had any of my friends complain about it. We're a mix of open and closed.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If they stay within their calorie limits, why are you concerned about what they're eating?

because after initial weight loss a calorie is not just a calorie. All calories are not created equal. Sodium is also something people often eat to much of and then wonder why the scale reads a higher number.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I just wish I could see the looks on some peoples faces when they read it.

It's comments like this that make me go look. :laugh:

Mine is open to friends.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I keep mine closed cus I really hate eating breakfast. I just dont want to hear it, I am doing fine and have tons of energy. Just if I eat in the morning, the whole day, for some reason I am weighed down, you can criticize now, I wont listen, it weighs me down, no energy for the rest of the day. Think what you want, you know? SO I work out in the morning, eat a small lunch, eat a good size supper, adn exercise some more n have a descent snack. I only like advice when I want it.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want to be judged when I have a day of McDonald's...

This!

Mine is open but I don't care if other people's are closed. And if someone started wagging their finger at me to not have a treat every now and then or offer other unsolicited advice that would bother me.

Also, why do you need to congratulate them? Maybe they don't care if they get random congratulations from people.

I like when people call me out on having a bad day, and knowing that I cant keep my mistakes a secret makes me not want to make them. I think accountability is one of the best parts of MFP.
  • texasheathers
    texasheathers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My diary was closed for a long time, because I was using MFP for logging only - not looking at forums or for support. Now that I'm using MFP for forums - I've added some friends and made my diary friends only. Now, if I had someone on my friends list annoying me or making snarky comments - I'd just delete them. But, everyone I have met here has been super nice so far. Who wants to analyze your food diary anyway?? Good grief - to each his own!! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all people!
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I made mine closed to people who aren't my "friends" just because I got paranoid that people I know in real life were checking to see what all I was eating. I know. Body issues. But that's probably the same reason other people hide their logs entirely. Sometimes being honest with YOURSELF is all that's really important.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because I want to concentrate on my own needs and not have everyone else pointing and prouding when I do something wrong. I do have a lock key on it though so those I am close to I let see it. I just don't feel like EVERYONE should be able to see it from the beginning, I don't want advice from someone that doesn't have a clue, won't listen and thinks everything they say is right and that happens more than you'd think.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    Because I am on here to lose weight for me, not for other people to complain that they can't see my diary.

I go back and forth between open and private. Even if it is open, I won't "finish" so that it gets posted. I lose my weight my way, I eat what I want and it works for me.

I am in my 8th month of being ED free and the last thing I want is someone on a high horse telling me how or what I should be eating. Or if I had a bad day and didn't make it to my calories, or I had a great day and ate everything I saw. It is no ones business.

And people can be jerks. A few harsh comments to someone who is doing everything they can to get healthy can be devastating. I keep my friends list low because I don't want the drama that comes with people who feel entitled to see what I ate.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I just wish I could see the looks on some peoples faces when they read it.

It's comments like this that make me go look. :laugh:

Mine is open to friends.

Me too! HAHA! I searched and searched for the post so I could read his diary. And now I am jealous. I wanna eat like that!! LOL!
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary as a private record.. not to get messages about why im eating less, or you should eat more of this, or less of that.

this.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I also find that people can make snarky comments...we are all here because we struggle...keep the snarks away!!! I'm vegan and people get very offended by my food/lifestyle choices.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If they stay within their calorie limits, why are you concerned about what they're eating?

because after initial weight loss a calorie is not just a calorie. All calories are not created equal. Sodium is also something people often eat to much of and then wonder why the scale reads a higher number.

But this is only relevant if they ask for help or wonder why they aren't losing weight.
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am kind of new. Had it open to friends but noticed some have it private so I set it to view with a key. It would be nice to have a feature where u can select who of ur friends can view it without a key and who not at all.
  • Chriztii
    Chriztii Posts: 94
    Options
    Varies opinions, As for me i do get a bit disapointed when i see a success picture and i go look to see if maybe their diary can help widen what i eat but then at the same time some people don't even post on here or go on here unless it's to report what they had for the day so they probably use this website as a real food diary and don't want other people to be reading it. As for me i couldn't care less haha my eating is always pretty ok and if i'm not eating enough of something (coughveges) there's usually a good reason (coughtheytastegrosscough) and if someone comments, i can just tell them that :)
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    i don't like it, and i'm going to start deleting
    Nice. I would go ahead and delete you if we were friends.

I also closed mine because I was worried an AA sponsor was going to come knocking on my door. :laugh:
    This is my reason too :drinker:

Honestly though, my diary is closed because something about letting everyone know what I ate that day feels a little creepy and invasive.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Perhaps some people, like myself as an example, are just figuring out how to use mfp :)
    In fact, I had just changed my diary setting, then I read your question.
    It's nice you are curious about people's progress and food choices :)
    MinMin
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I also use mine as a journal some days about my overall diet and bowel movements and what makes me feel bloated or gassy, etc. I also put when I started my period. You wanna know all that? :bigsmile:
    I track many things here other than my diet. I like to look for patterns so I can understand my body from a medical perspective. That's my reality and its a pretty personal thing. And I choose who I let in :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm just afraid of asking for diet advice and then people seeing that I start my day with whiskey...