Refrigerator Oatmeal/Overnight Oatmeal. I finally tried it.

DEEDLYNN
DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
This was quite possibly the best 164 calories I've ever spent for breakfast. Very filling and very tasty and VERY VERY VERY EASY.

Ingredients:

1/4 c. Old Fashioned Oats (not the quick oats)
1/4 c. Plain Greek Yogurt
1/3 c. Silk Plain Almond Milk (the low calorie one)
1 1/2 t. Chia Seeds

Mix every thing up and put in a container with a lid. (Pint canning jars or freezer jars are perfect. I stirred mine a couple times before tucking it into the refridgerator for the night, to keep the chia seeds from clumping.

Next morning--put in your add ins of choice. Today I did banana and sweetner. The add-ins aren't included in the 164 calorie count.

It couldn't be easier, grabbed as I was going out the door and breakfast was ready to serve when I got to work.

Yep. This is a keeper! I've seen it here before, but then I saw photos on Pinterest of all the interesting toppings, etc. Looked good, was good, easy and quick!

Replies

• chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Its also yummy with some powdered peanut butter, cocoa powder and half a banana!
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    AKA Bircher Muesli - YUM :)
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Curious - Whats with the Chia seeds?
  • quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member

They have a lot of protein, antioxidents and omega3s. Plus, they absorb liquid so you feel full longer and help with it going through to "the other end!"
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    You should try the apple cinnamon one. I had it this morning for breakfast and it's phenomenal.
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    bump:smokin:
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    b
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    I've tried this using 1 tbs shredded coconut, 1/2 cup mango, cubed (usually 1/2 mango), and 1 1/2 tbs Agave nectar and 1/2 cup almond milk - mix all with 1/2 cup steel cut (more chewy) or rolled oats and put in fridge overnight. YUMS! A cool tropical treat in the A.M.!
  • Braven05
    Braven05 Posts: 2 Member
    I love this recipe also, only I add chopped banana and strawberries to mine and take out the chia seeds - something about that grosses me out!
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    OMG I LOVE this. I've been eating for a few weeks now and it is so easy and healthful!

My fave addition: a tablespoon of organic, no sugar added raspberry syrup and fresh raspberries. Also good: local honey or a bit of maple syrup and blueberries. :-)
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    I've been doing overnight oats for about 2 weeks now and I always do it with 1 T chia or basil seed, 1/3 or 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats, water, and 1 T peanut butter or 1 tsp cocoa powder, and stevia. So amazing. I also love cinnamon on top. :)

You don't want to stir it much or the oats get mushy, but this dish is so yummy!
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Yummy! I will have to try this :)
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Ok so dumb question...do you not cook the oatmeal?
  • michellecorvin
    michellecorvin Posts: 36 Member
    This sounds amazing! I am so going to try it. Thank you for explaining it so well. ;D
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Yummy, thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:

Slainte!
  • tara_jm
    tara_jm Posts: 33 Member
    I love this! I add a scoop of plain whey isolate protein (you can't even taste it), half a mashed banana, some vanilla, and cinnamon. YUM!
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member

No, you don't cook the oatmeal by heating it.

It gets soft because it absorbs the moisture from the milk and yogurt. :smile:
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member

No, you don't cook the oatmeal by heating it.

It gets soft because it absorbs the moisture from the milk and yogurt. :smile:

Yay that is AWESOME....will definitely be trying this!!!
  • bcsrule
    bcsrule Posts: 51 Member
    bump
  • laurcampbell
    laurcampbell Posts: 54 Member

They have a lot of protein, antioxidents and omega3s. Plus, they absorb liquid so you feel full longer and help with it going through to "the other end!"

this made me lol - that was a very elequent way of putting it haa