There's no way I could ever eat 130g of protein

Options

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    tofu with peanut sauce
    edamame beans- lots of fiber, low carbs, and lots of protein
    chia pudding ( take chia seeds and soak in almond milk, lots of recipes online, super good dessert for low calories and high fiber and protein
    boiled eggs
    greek yogurt-use in protein shakes and fruit smoothies
    one I haven’t tried, but want to, is salt and vinegar garbanzo beans, not sure if you are in to that kind of flavor but I am sure you could find a recipe online
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I add an additional 50 g of protein every day by doing the folliowing:

I purchase carnivor liquid protein shots (fruit punch or orange flavored with 50g protein per shot). They are strong and syrupy and I find hard to drink alone. So, I add 1/3 bottle to each of the three 20oz bottles of water I drink per day. Now I have flavored protein water that doesn't taste chaulky, is easy to mix, and very portable.

This is a beef protein product, so if you are a vegetarian it won't work for you. But, maybe there is a liquid protein shot suited for vegetarians. It works for me.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan and I will get almost 180g of protein today. I have no qualms with the protein powder I'll use for some of it (it's non-soy so I don't have to worry about additional soy products I may consume during the day). I am still getting well over 100g without supplementation.

The trick is to comparison shop. I pick every product for their relative protein content. Some tortillas have 2g of protein and some have 10g. If you're not a meat eater (or a big meat eater) you can make up a lot of "lost protein" by shopping around for all the other products that you eat!

I *MUST* see your diary!!!!! I have no idea how a vegan can hit 180 g protein daily! Can we be friends so I can pour over your daily regimine???? My son is vegan. I am serious. I want to make sure he is eating well!
  • aplusgeek
    aplusgeek Posts: 49
    Options
    Yeah looking at a few days of your diary it looks like you're mostly vegetarian, except for the egg protein. So without meat it will be next to impossible for you to get to a high enough protein content daily. The goal for most meals (for weight training and athletes) is around 50g per big meal, if you look at my diary that's what I'm usually around 50-70g per big meal.

If you are vegetarian you could also try to incorporate some dairy, i.e. Greek Yogourt depending on how strict you are, that should help. Probably 20% of my protein comes from dairy, (skim milk, greek yogourt).

Also, you can try eating Quinoa which is a grain that you cook that one of the lowest glycemic indexes and also one of the ONLY plants that has a COMPLETE protein, 10 x better than oats and other grains.

Good luck
  • fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had the same question when I started. I am a male weighing in at 180 pounds. For males they say 1-1.5 gms per pound of weight. When I heard this, I was around 30 grams of protein on a GOOD day. But eventually, I've figured out what works for me and I am trying to cross 180 grams of protein per day. It is a conscious effort and eating out is completely taken out of the picture if you want to stay within your macros.

BUT take my word for it, eventually you *will* figure it out and wont find 130 grams as a ridiculous figure.

As most people have recommended absolutely include
    1) Casein Protein (if money is not an issue) else Whey Protein shakes
    2) Eggs
    3) Cottage Cheese
    4) Nuts
    5) Seitan* (I had no idea what this was until a week ago and am now a huge fan of it, look it up if you dont know what it is)
    6) Fat free Milk
    7) PB2

My diary is fairly up-to-date and vegeterian, if there is any meat it is only chicken (no seafood or any other meat). It should give you some idea of where to start.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My breakfast was 38 grams of protein (vegetarian)

Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of peanut butter and chia seeds mixed in

A green tea latte
  • nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have any suggestion :( I've been wondering about this as well...thank you all for the suggestions :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yeah looking at a few days of your diary it looks like you're mostly vegetarian, except for the egg protein. So without meat it will be next to impossible for you to get to a high enough protein content daily. The goal for most meals (for weight training and athletes) is around 50g per big meal, if you look at my diary that's what I'm usually around 50-70g per big meal.

If you are vegetarian you could also try to incorporate some dairy, i.e. Greek Yogourt depending on how strict you are, that should help. Probably 20% of my protein comes from dairy, (skim milk, greek yogourt).

Also, you can try eating Quinoa which is a grain that you cook that one of the lowest glycemic indexes and also one of the ONLY plants that has a COMPLETE protein, 10 x better than oats and other grains.

Good luck

Vegeterians eat eggs and it is not next to impossible:

See below (and I have not even included any tofu, seitan and other products that are also high in protein, or any whey protein that can also be used to supplement)

1 cup quinoa : 24g
    1 serving of greek yoghurt: 18g
    1 oz almonds: 6g
    2 eggs: 12g
    2 oz cheese: 18g
    3 cups milk: 24g
    2 tbsp peanut butter: 9g

Totals 111g
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Sorry, misread your post so my suggestions were useless.
  • HeatherWestgate
    HeatherWestgate Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a Vegan and generally have not had a problem getting adequate protien. I also lift heavy and have been able to cut my body fat in half while still adding lean muscle while eating a vegan diet.
    If you have enough variety in your diet, you will get enough protein.
    If you don't like oatmeal for breakfast try quinoa instead, cook it with some almond milk, raisins and a little sweetner.
    I also eat a lot of almond, walnut, pumpkin seed and nut and seed butters. They are higher in calories but they are nutrient dense calories.
    I usually cook up two different kinds of beans at the beginning of every week such as chickpeas, lentil or black beans that way I can throw them into salads, wraps and soups to add protein.
    Make sure your eating brown rice and not white rice to increase protein, combined with beans they make a complete protein.
    I try not to eat too many soy product, usually twice a week I'll eat some sprouted tofu or tempeh. Usually it's to make sure I'm getting enough complete protien on days I lift.
    Add things like chia seeds and hemp hearts to your smoothies, cereal and salads.
    Also Vega protein powder is a good one.
    Hope this helps.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Seems some people are confused about what vegetarism is. It means you don't eat meat, animal products such as milk, cheese and eggs are still consumed. VEGANS on the other hand avoid all animal products.

There's different kinds of vegetarian. What you describe is an ovo-lacto vegetarian. There's also ovo-vegetarians who ear eggs but not dairy and lacto-vegetarians who eat dairy but not eggs. You're probably right most of the time if you assume that when someone says "vegetarian" they mean ovo-lacto vegetarian, but in some cases you may not be. Its certainly not a reason to berate others and try to make them feel stupid for questioning whether the OP eats eggs or dairy.
  • onefuzzy
    onefuzzy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So glad I came across this thread! I was just asking this question yesterday! I am a very active vegetarian just turned vegan and I am always looking for ways to get protein into my diet. my issue is I have a lot of food restrictions.

Thanks for all the ideas!

I am a big fan of quinoa, beans, sun warrior protein powder, greens greens and more greens and just a little bit of soy products.
  • sorlich
    sorlich Posts: 5
    Options
    there are some foods that you may not even think contain as much protein as they do. peanut butter is yummy and it contains protein. try looking online for foods that contain good amounts of protein. try beef jerkys, there always low in fat and taste good!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    this is why being vegetarian is not optimal for body composition.. too limited on foods for well balanced macros. start eatin some eggs gurl.

Vegetarians eat eggs.

And it is not that hard to get enough protein.
    .. thats sort of why i said to start eating eggs. and if that were true then there wouldnt be questions like these. DUHH
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Seems some people are confused about what vegetarism is. It means you don't eat meat, animal products such as milk, cheese and eggs are still consumed. VEGANS on the other hand avoid all animal products.

There's different kinds of vegetarian. What you describe is an ovo-lacto vegetarian. There's also ovo-vegetarians who ear eggs but not dairy and lacto-vegetarians who eat dairy but not eggs. You're probably right most of the time if you assume that when someone says "vegetarian" they mean ovo-lacto vegetarian, but in some cases you may not be. Its certainly not a reason to berate others and try to make them feel stupid for questioning whether the OP eats eggs or dairy.

I just wanna pipe in on this. It's my understanding that "vegetarian" is implicitly a lacto-ovo vegetarain. If one is vegan they say vegan or "strict vegetarian" (which was the term used back in the 1920's for vegans). If you eat fish or chicken, I'm sorry, but that's not vegetarian...though i suppose using terms like pisco-vegetarian makes sense to me. But once we start getting into eating chicken, that's just ridiculous. Just say you don't eat red meat, mmmmmmmmmmkay??? :)
    /end rant!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    this is why being vegetarian is not optimal for body composition.. too limited on foods for well balanced macros. start eatin some eggs gurl.

Vegetarians eat eggs.

.. thats sort of why i said to start eating eggs. and if that were true then there wouldnt be questions like these. DUHH

Its not hard with information - which is what she was asking for. A vegetarian diet is not too limited to get well balance macros. And did you even check if she was already eating eggs?

Who's the "DUHH' with now?
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan and I will get almost 180g of protein today. I have no qualms with the protein powder I'll use for some of it (it's non-soy so I don't have to worry about additional soy products I may consume during the day). I am still getting well over 100g without supplementation.

The trick is to comparison shop. I pick every product for their relative protein content. Some tortillas have 2g of protein and some have 10g. If you're not a meat eater (or a big meat eater) you can make up a lot of "lost protein" by shopping around for all the other products that you eat!

I *MUST* see your diary!!!!! I have no idea how a vegan can hit 180 g protein daily! Can we be friends so I can pour over your daily regimine???? My son is vegan. I am serious. I want to make sure he is eating well!

^^^THIS! :) I would love to see the 180 cal vegan protein diary toooo! I'm a vegan as well... I'm impressed when I get 60-70 g per day. I don't worry about it too much because too much protein is hard on the kidneys and bad kidneys run in my family, but I'd like to up it for awhile for lifting purposes (maybe just on certain days).
  • monty619
    Options

Vegetarians eat eggs.

Its not hard with information - which is what she was asking for. A vegetarian diet is not too limited to get well balance macros. And did you even check if she was already eating eggs?

Who's the "DUHH' with now?
    still with you if you dont think omniverous eating has advantages over vegetarian eating for body composition..more complete proteins, more variations in fats, creatine, etc.. not saying you cant get lean and ripped while being a vegetarian or vegan but the road is tougher without a doubt.. only be a vegetarian for some sort of ethical reason not to lose weight.
  • Figment14300
    Options
    bump
  • monty619
    Options
    I'm a Vegan and generally have not had a problem getting adequate protien. I also lift heavy and have been able to cut my body fat in half while still adding lean muscle while eating a vegan diet.
    If you have enough variety in your diet, you will get enough protein.
    If you don't like oatmeal for breakfast try quinoa instead, cook it with some almond milk, raisins and a little sweetner.
    I also eat a lot of almond, walnut, pumpkin seed and nut and seed butters. They are higher in calories but they are nutrient dense calories.
    I usually cook up two different kinds of beans at the beginning of every week such as chickpeas, lentil or black beans that way I can throw them into salads, wraps and soups to add protein.
    Make sure your eating brown rice and not white rice to increase protein, combined with beans they make a complete protein.
    I try not to eat too many soy product, usually twice a week I'll eat some sprouted tofu or tempeh. Usually it's to make sure I'm getting enough complete protien on days I lift.
    Add things like chia seeds and hemp hearts to your smoothies, cereal and salads.
    Also Vega protein powder is a good one.
    Hope this helps.
    from ur diary you never hit 100g of protein on any day i saw.. also most of the proteins you had named are not complete proteins which is questionable if you count those in your macros. 20g protein of peanuts is not going to be the same as 20g protein of soy etc.