Telling people or not.

Options

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I pretty much tell anyone if it comes up, but I don't make a point of it. A couple of people have noticed my FitBit clipped to my belt this week and have asked about it. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I am trying to do "the healthy thing" for the first time in my life, but I'm not going out of my way to discuss it either.
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I dont tell people. If they notice and ask me about it I just tell them that I am living with a focus on being healthy. (My close friends and family know my goals, but other than them and my wonderful MFP friends....no one else)
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I tell the world so that I can be held accountable :) If I just keep it to myself I feel that I was fall back into my old habits...been going 4 months strong!!!!
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Funny thing though is that no one has noticed or mentioned I have lost weight (except my mom and 1 friend who knows) which makes me a lil sad :(

People I see regularly at work didn't start noticing until I had lost almost 20 lbs. Thought now someone new mentions it almost every shift which is nice. But of course I'm not doing this for them haha, though I appreciate the positive comments.
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Started out only telling my best friend - husband. As people have noticed the weight loss, they chime in to support me. I'd rather people notice. Plus, I don't want to think about food a lot and telling people gets those conversations going.
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    I've just started sharing the fact that I'm on here with family and a few friends... several months later. I haven't announced "I'm trying to lose weight!" - but I've told them about the tools here to help track exercise and food intake.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My oppinion is that people should be told especially those who are aound you all the time. They can help with the weight loss. What is gonna happen when everyone wants to go out for Pizza and Ice Cream? They'll think twice about these things and not eat items that cojuld cause you to slip. Just Say'n...
    then they'll feel embarrassed about never doing anything to improve themselves and try to sabotage your weight loss by offering you cake and pastries all the time.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    My wife and I neither one intended on telling anyone. However, it is difficult to hide it when you completely change how you order when you go out with friends and family, or when you're dropping weight. I hit my 100 day mark yesterday and so far have dropped 51lbs. that's something that anyone who knows you is going to notice. And unfortunately will begin everyone talking to you about it. In the past I have felt insecure about it and have failed because the diet was too hard to stick to. I really am confident though that this is going to work, and that I have actually made a true lifestyle change. Logging food everyday, keeps it more interactive, and it's not so much of a guessing game as to where I am for the day. And the fact that I have not denied myself any one specific type of food, I don't feel the need to have cheat days.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congratulations! :)MinMin
  • pattie317
    pattie317 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have told very few people but this is just my first week and still learning how this deiting thing and this site actually works,,,,,
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I have told everybody.
    1st cause I talk a lot.
    2nd see the first.
    I work around a lot of lady's who struggle with this issue.
    I want their support and let them know I'm with them. :flowerforyou:
  • pattie317
    pattie317 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Does the fit bit work well? I did look into that unsure if I should purchase or not. Does it help?
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't advertise it, if someone comments that I've lost weight & they ask how I've done it, then I tell them.... MFP & exercise!!
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me how to use my iphone to scan barcodes? I read about people doing it but don't know what app to get. Thanks!
    It's the MFP app. When you click the meal to add to, there's a little button with a picture of a barcode next to the search field. Click on that and it will open the camera; just point it at the barcode and move it around until it snaps it, and it will pull up the information for that product.

Thank you!!!! I didn't know that!!!! Try it! It works great! :love: :happy:
  • lsan1125
    lsan1125 Posts: 20
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and keep up what you are doing. I agree with a few other comments...if telling works, do it. If not then keep it to yourself. I have told a few people. I work at a doctor's office where we have drug reps bring us lunch almost everyday. And these lunches are more like dinners; heavy, greasy, fatty foods. A few people noticed I started bringing my lunch and complimented me on that. Fortunately for me my sister lives with me and we are making this change together. We need each other to motivate the other. Keep up the good work and remember to always be happy with yourself first.
  • sameervasta
    sameervasta Posts: 25
    Options
    Everyone has their own approach, but I've found that telling other people helps keep me accountable and motivated. I thought people would be wary or look at me with derision, but most people have been very supportive and encouraging, and actually take steps to help me through the process and check in on me — even the people I don't know well! Telling people about my commitment has actually been a big part of my success. But then again, not everyone is the same.
  • Vixen0113
    Vixen0113 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've told people all the time..and everytime I fail. I've even had ex boyfriends who KNEW that I was trying to lose weight and they STILL said, "Lets go to Mcdonalds, let's get pizza, its okay make it your cheat day" There's pros and cons about not telling..I always liked when no one knew so I could hear an honest answer "you're looking good are you losing weight"?
  • mskathyw
    mskathyw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When you use your myfitnesspal app it is there. Go to Add To Diary, pick your meal and then when it opens the bar where you can search for the food look to the right and there is a little symbol, press that and it opens your scanner. Just line up the barcode and it will do the rest then you just add it. This makes adding so much quicker and easier. Hope this helps.
  • mskathyw
    mskathyw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me how to use my iphone to scan barcodes? I read about people doing it but don't know what app to get. Thanks!

When you use your myfitnesspal app it is there. Go to Add To Diary, pick your meal and then when it opens the bar where you can search for the food look to the right and there is a little symbol, press that and it opens your scanner. Just line up the barcode and it will do the rest then you just add it. This makes adding so much quicker and easier. Hope this helps.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    My husband and daughter know. A couple of my co-workers asked as they can see the weight loss ( only 35# so far, and a lot to go). I joined this site in February, but did not begin my new life style until March 12th. I am determined like I never have been before. I have a big incentive this time. We are getting evaluated at work for our health insurance in December. We will get a deduction on our health care premium for being in healthy range for blood pressure, weight, smoking, normal blood sugar level etc. I have 7 months to "get better". Thank goodness I found this web site! It helps stay on track.