Refrigerator Oatmeal/Overnight Oatmeal. I finally tried it.

Replies

• pbaker8307
    pbaker8307 Posts: 60 Member
    Bump
  • JoCam127
    JoCam127 Posts: 39 Member
    This is inspired me to try it with my quick oats so I just put this all in a jar:

1/2 cup quick oats
    8 oz unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 T PB2

I really hope it turns out well with the quick oats and I also hope it tastes like the no-bake cookies I used to make as a kid! lol

Just want to let everyone know while the flavor if my experiment was very yummy, it turned into oatmeal soup lol.... Probably too much liquid. But I still ate it. I added an oz of slivered almonds for crunch. You ready for the stats on this breakfast?
    550 cals, 46 grams protein, 24 grams of MONOunsaturated fat, 43 g carbs, 13 grams of fiber and only 300 mg of sodium.
    I imagine I will not be hungry again for a few hours lol

The 'quick oats' were the problem, they turn to mush because they are finer, try it with whole oats ;)
  • JoCam127
    JoCam127 Posts: 39 Member
    ive made this soaking the oats in fresh unsweetened orange juice

Was going to suggest juice too for something different :wink:
    I'm not an oats lover, but my children are & they have this quite often in summer when it is a bit warm to be eating cooked oats & they LOVE it ...

1/4 C Oats
    Apple / Blackcurrant / Cranberry Juice to cover, soak overnight
    In the morning add some Plain Yoghurt
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    bump
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    BUMP
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Its also yummy with some powdered peanut butter, cocoa powder and half a banana!

powdered peanut butter? for shame!

I thought the same thing, but picked some up at the Whole Foods, and it's not 1/2 bad
  • Dianaka
    Dianaka Posts: 48 Member
    Bump! Thanks!
  • watch48win
    I just made some for the morning!

1/2 oats
    1/2 cup greek non fat yogurt
    2/3 cup almond milk
    1 tlbs PB2 with chocolate
    1 tbls flax seed

can't wait
  • 68bushunter
    68bushunter Posts: 23
    Love peanut butter...where can I get the powder?
  • frances454
    frances454 Posts: 1
    Seems like I have to give it a try!!
  • watch48win
    Love peanut butter...where can I get the powder?

Whole foods, or look up online and you can order from their website.....it's called PB2
  • watch48win
    I just made some for the morning!

1/2 oats
    1/2 cup greek non fat yogurt
    2/3 cup almond milk
    1 tlbs PB2 with chocolate
    1 tbls flax seed

can't wait

It was really good, but I couldn't eat it all. Very filling, and my recipe was only about 320 calories. Putting the rest back in the frig for later.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    bump
  • sparkdoc
    sparkdoc Posts: 45 Member
    bump:smile:
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    bump..

so want to try this..
  • Mom23djd
    Mom23djd Posts: 38 Member
    For quite some time now, I've been making oatmeal in my crockpot overnight. I have one of the Hamilton Beach ones that came with 3 different size crocks, 2-4-6. I use the 2 quart to make my recipe, sometimes I double it with the 4 quart.

1 cup steel cut oats - available at an grocery store, but if you can find them bulk in a health food store like I did, soooo much cheaper
    4 cups of water
    1/2 t salt

That's it. Turn it on low and let it cook overnight. I've had it on for as little as 7 hours and as many as 10, and it always comes out perfect. The next morning, add your spices, sweetener, and fruit-maybe a splash of milk depending on the consistency you prefer. My little 4 and 3 year old boys will usually clean out the entire pot, leaving just enough for me to put in my thermos to take to work.

It's also good to dice up an apple and add some cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. I started adding the spice in the morning, only because the pot cleans up easier without the cinnamon baked on to the side.
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    this sounds like a great summer alternative to my porridge (20g whole rolled oats, 7g coconoil - microwave 2 mins - add 20g soya protein powder, 20g ground nut mix, cinanmon - stir!)
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Bump

I love oats, will have to try this method. Thanks for sharing:drinker:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Bump for later

Thanks for sharing :)
  • xtravisfx
    xtravisfx Posts: 44 Member
    for later