Diet soda... friend or foe?!?

Options

Replies

• mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Many different answers to come to you on this one. I drink a route 44 from Sonic Diet Dr Pepper every morning and I've lost over 80 lbs. It just depends on the program your on and your metabolism how it receives it and works with it. Try it and if it doesn't affect you negatively then if you want it drink it. Otherwise leave it alone... Good Luck
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. I usually have 1-2 per week, and it's never been an issue for me.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I love these threads. Mainly to see how full of it most people are.

I drink it here and there. Turns out I'm still losing weight and all the big, scary chemicals haven't turned me into a baby killer or anything...
  • mrscarrey
    mrscarrey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Never a friend (in terms of health/nutrients to the body) - but a RARE enjoyment. Like once a month if that.
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    Can you pronounce the ingrediants? If so, do you even know what they are?
    -Debra

I can... then again... maybe it's because I'm a microbiology major/chemistry minor. ;)
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Foe!! I totally disagree with the person who said one a day is fine too.

If you are going to have a fizzy drink, it may as well be the real thing. There's a lot worse things in diet drinks than calories. If you have a craving, do it properly, you can't be an angel all the time. There are tonnes of things out there you could try too. I love elderflower in sparkling water - it's a whole lot healthier too!
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I also do the everything in moderation. I allow myself about 1, maybe 2, REAL Coke's a week. My hands swell with too much pop and I get migraines that are aggravated by the sugar in Coke as well as the fake sweetener in Diet drinks. So splurge on the calories once in a while to get what I really love. The rest of the week is water, milk, some juice.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Neither.
    If you want a can here and there... have it.
    Is it healthy - no.
    Is drinking one can a week going to magically make you an unhealthy person - no.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I drink it. I only have two heads. You'll be fine.

P.S. You're gonna get a whole bunch of different answers, all backed up with good or lousy science, anecdotal evidence, or simple make-believe, and you're gonna have an even harder time knowing what to believe. And googling it will give you even more answers and scary not-scientific baloney.. I suggest you go to reputable websites like the Mayo Clinic or WebMD, read what they have to say, think about it, list the pros and cons of partaking, and choose to drink or not drink.

Diet Soda will give you Super AIDS. Don't drink it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas, carbonation aside, are a bad idea for 2 groups of people.

A) People with specific allergy/sensitivity to artificial sweetener
    B) People who believe everything on the internet
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    foe
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm living by the motto of try not to drink it but if you really feel the need then go ahead. Obviously water is the best thing you can drink or so they say but I don't see where every once in a while drinking a diet soda is going to hurt you in any way. Just my thoughts I wouldn't over do it but moderation should be just fine. That's as long as you don't have issues with sodium!
    I agree with this completely. They're not good for you, but they're not going to kill you if you have it once in a while. I've tapered back, but if I want one, I have one.

Totally agree. And since I've been here I've been eating better and drinking less soda. But I don't sweat it if I have it. It is a comfort food for me. Everything in moderation.
  • lexytay
    lexytay Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is my secret lover...lol But I only drink two cans a day. I drink tons of water in between.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    u know ive heard cigarettes dont have any calories either...ive even heard they contribute to weight loss!!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    The air I breath is also filled with toxins.....but I can't very well stop breathing...well, I can, but we all know where that leads....

So I shall drink my diet soda.......and breathe......
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It has zero calories, but the artificial sweeteners block growth hormones. Stasticicly your chances of becoming or staying obese jump up 50% when drinking diet soda.

Some evidence to support that claim would be fantastic.
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    Diet soda is more of a foe than friend....but one is not going to kill you. I wouldn't make it a habit though.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Can you pronounce the ingrediants? If so, do you even know what they are? Do you think your body truly recognizes those when you put it in your body regularly?

That said, IF you are limiting your caffeine daily and paying attention to that as well as limiting your intake of these manufactured chemicals in the diet soda AND drinking enough water for your weight, you'll be fine temporarily. However, if you are after true health and not just a pacifier to satisfy your addiction to the taste of sugar, you will eventually quit the soda of any kind and switch to natural water and/or herbal teas. It's a process and a choice. When you are ready, you'll make the switch.

-Debra
    All of those ingredients in diet sodas are things your body easily recognizes and processes in other foods on a daily basis. Aspartame, which is a protein strand found in meat, nuts, and soy. Citric acid, which is found in fruits. Potassium, required mineral. Sodium, also a required mineral. Caffeine, found in coffee, tea, chocolate, and other sources. And on and on...
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have always been a big diet coke drinker, but have decided to quit (again). I have been mixing half natural soda (HEB for you Texans has a good one made with cane sugar) and half sparkling water and loving it. It still has plenty of taste especially since I am switching from diet and I can limit it to 1 can a day by splitting it into two servings.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I believe "everything in moderation" doesn't apply to aspartame. Maybe I'm a nutjob who believes aspartame = OH NOES TEH CANCAR but I avoid it completely because I don't want to take the risk.