Why do guys stare at women lifters?

Options

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Various reasons. Today I noticed a guy staring and then I realized I was out lifting him. Giggle inside, victory. :) It's ok bc I'll stare at you too; that is if I'm waiting for something and a guy is taking 5 min breaks or chatting/texting on his phone. Please GTF out of the gym/my way if you're going to do that. Other than that the only time I stare is at my hot hubby working out.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have recently started lifting as part of a strength training programme and I am aware that when I am on my own, a lot of the guys in the weights area of the gym are checking out what I am doing. I have had this in more than one gym, but I don't get this when I am working out with my (male) PT. I have not been hastled by any of the guys in the weights area, but the staring does make me uncomfortable and has made me shy away from lifting in the past. I am no stunner and not lifting heavy, so I don't understand the staring.

I did not post this as an opportunity to bash male lifters, I would just like to understand why they do it.

Usually, because they're hot.
  • anoroc751
    anoroc751 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have stared too and here are my reasons.

1. She's a looker and I am attracted to women who look good.
    2. She looks real fit. I also stare at real fit guys as I wonder if I could ever look like that.
    3. It's less common to see a girl working with weights so I am curious how and what they are doing.
    4. The excercise is being done wrong. I look at guys who do them wrong too.
    5. The clothes or lack thereof draw me to make a quick stare. See #1

I would imagine it may make some women feel uneasy, but I would think it's all pretty harmless and yes, we should not say creepy things or stare to the point of being a freak.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Generally, I have headphones in, music loud and I am able to tune out what everyone else is doing. Last week though, I had a guy stop me to chit chat between every set, about the weight I was using, making friendly jokes, whatever. Every single time, I had to pull my headphones out and yell "WHAT?!...oh, yeah, ha ha ha" He was a nice guy, not creepy or anything- but when I'm at the gym I'm there for business. Men and women seem to have different attitudes about the gym, I notice a LOT of guys who are there for social hour - more so than women.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    For all the men who say "because it's hot"...

What about us extra fluffy girls, 300+ pounds, lifting? Does the reason still apply then? Doubtful. So what then?
  • jpombert
    jpombert Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think part of it IS paranoia on my part. I know I don't eyeball anyone while I am lifting, but I sure do feel like a gazelle surrounded by lions sometimes.
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I lift free weights at home now, but used to power lift and have a gym membership....men will stare at women lifting for several reasons, but really a woman with cold hard weights in her hand using her muscles.....geez, poor defenseless guys they dont stand a chance at not staring.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

What about us extra fluffy girls, 300+ pounds, lifting? Does the reason still apply then? Doubtful. So what then?

To be amazed that she can not only lift her body weight, but whatever else she happens to be lifting. The fact that a woman has the confidence just to leave the cardio and mix it up with the guys is something to be admired. Confidence is attractive regardless of weight. That's all.
  • PhenomeNae
    PhenomeNae Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The correct response when you a man someone staring is to face him, bring your arms out to your sides to look bigger, and say in a low-pitched but loud voice, "Come at me, bro!"

I died. You killed me! :laugh:
  • armoredcore
    armoredcore Posts: 48 Member
    Options

To be amazed that she can not only lift her body weight, but whatever else she happens to be lifting. The fact that a woman has the confidence just to leave the cardio and mix it up with the guys is something to be admired. Confidence is attractive regardless of weight. That's all.
    100%agree
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Because they mirin
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think part of it IS paranoia on my part. I know I don't eyeball anyone while I am lifting, but I sure do feel like a gazelle surrounded by lions sometimes.

LOL. I've never felt like a gazelle in any scenario. This made me laugh because my ex's nickname for me was Gazelle because I'm always running into stuff. My current boyfriend carried on the tag because it so fit. I know you meant you felt like prey...that I've never felt.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    why do women wear skin-tight yoga pants and sports bras to the gym and then wonder why men stare at them?

because a wet t-shirt feels aweful and to be honest I don`t mind the stare `s (blush) I find it to be a compliment to my hard work
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't stare.

I lied. I stare, but I wear sunglasses, so nobody can tell.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I lift free weights at home now, but used to power lift and have a gym membership....men will stare at women lifting for several reasons, but really a woman with cold hard weights in her hand using her muscles.....geez, poor defenseless guys they dont stand a chance at not staring.

Totally agree. It's too beautiful a thing not to look! And it's not leching. It's admiration!! (at least for me, other guys will have to speak for themselves)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have recently started lifting as part of a strength training programme and I am aware that when I am on my own, a lot of the guys in the weights area of the gym are checking out what I am doing. I have had this in more than one gym, but I don't get this when I am working out with my (male) PT. I have not been hastled by any of the guys in the weights area, but the staring does make me uncomfortable and has made me shy away from lifting in the past. I am no stunner and not lifting heavy, so I don't understand the staring.

I did not post this as an opportunity to bash male lifters, I would just like to understand why they do it.

I worry that people are looking at me criticising my form, I do not feel confident in the weights area at all.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    why do women wear skin-tight yoga pants and sports bras to the gym and then wonder why men stare at them?

If I don't wear skin tight yoga pants, then I get tangled up in the equipment... but I will never ever wear just a sports bra to the gym. I've almost had my eyes burned out a few times by chick's wearing only sports bras, when they clearly should not have been... and while I like to think that I have a nice body, it's for me and me only.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The other day I was squatting solo, and had the guys on both sides of me, plus a trainer about 30 feet away with their eyes glued on me.

I just kind of ignore it and am okay with the fact that someone's looking out for me
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    I don't ever see anyone stare, or I don't stare, mostly because I do no (or minimal) rest workouts, but if someone with a really nice body is doing something with weights (like squatting), well that sort of catches the eye without any conscious effort. For me that's limited to women, although if some guy is lifting heavy, I might look and count the plates.

I personally notice women sneaking a peek a lot more often than men, I tell myself that they are either looking to observe good form for the lift, or appreciate the amount of weight. (A lot of the machines I do the whole stack of weights, that might have to do something with it)

If its someone solo, and looking like they are new to weights, and lifting heavy or about to hurt themselves, I will look them in the eye and smile, giving them the opportunity to ask for a spot if they so desire.