Cardio vs. Strength training results (pic)

Options
Cmonnowguys
Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
Here are a couple of my "during" pics. All of March I did a combo of running, Zumba and calisthenics using 7lb weights. My weight was 168.4 with close to 34% body fat. In a month I lost 6 lbs, but my body fat was still at 33%. I decided to cut back on cardio (elliptical or light running twice a week) and started the Stronglifts 5x5 power lifting program. Since then I have only lost another 3 lbs, but my body fat is now at 28%. Not to mention, I am much stronger. Here are my current stats:
Squats - 115 lb
Bench - 85 lb
Pendlay rows - 90 lb
Overhead press - 70 lb
Dead lift - 145 lb

I still have a long way to go, but hopefully my progress so far will motivate someone to pic up some weights! :)

inze36.jpg

Replies

• cherryrush
    cherryrush Posts: 12
    Options
    Looking good!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Excellent progress! Looking great!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Great job! Huge progress!
  • proudtruckersgirl
    proudtruckersgirl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic. Great job. I'm already doing the weight lifting with my PT. I feel so much better even if I'm not losing weight, I'm stronger and losing inches. :) Keep it up.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    Thanks guys! It's hard seeing the numbers on the scale move slower, but the reflection in the mirror makes it worth it. I'm excited to see where my progress will be in another couple of months!
  • veromancha
    veromancha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!! I just started lifting!!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!

You should post that same post, here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/535512-real-mfp-women-weight-training-befores-and-afters

Good for you =D!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    Thanks for posting!! I just started lifting!!

Stick with it! Results are slow but steady and my body is finally changing shape instead of just getting smaller. Congrats on your loss so far, btw!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    Awesome!!

You should post that same post, here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/535512-real-mfp-women-weight-training-befores-and-afters

Good for you =D!

Thanks!! I'll do that. Women on here are the reason I decided to give lifting a try!
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It looks like a lot more than a 3 lb loss btwn no strenght and strenght. Great job!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! definitely need to add strength training into my exercise routine!
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Inb4 Tae Bo is strength training. LOL.

Also you look awesome. :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Great job.
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of my "during" pics. All of March I did a combo of running, Zumba and calisthenics using 7lb weights. My weight was 168.4 with close to 34% body fat. In a month I lost 6 lbs, but my body fat was still at 33%. I decided to cut back on cardio (elliptical or light running twice a week) and started the Stronglifts 5x5 power lifting program. Since then I have only lost another 3 lbs, but my body fat is now at 28%. Not to mention, I am much stronger. Here are my current stats:
    Squats - 115 lb
    Bench - 85 lb
    Pendlay rows - 90 lb
    Overhead press - 70 lb
    Dead lift - 145 lb

I still have a long way to go, but hopefully my progress so far will motivate someone to pic up some weights! :)

inze36.jpg

Great results in two months!! Keep it up!! I think having the mix up makes a big difference!!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!
  • saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    you look wonderful!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    What a difference !! Keep it up
    I have been doing stronglifts also why running 3x a week as I have been training for a 1/2 marathon and then the 10 mile race I ran today. My plan going forward was to cut back running and focus on lifting only

Do you do anything but Stronglifts now? Was the Mar 31st picture when you cut back on cardio and the May 5th picture after alittle over 1 month of stonglifts?
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    It looks like a lot more than a 3 lb loss btwn no strenght and strenght. Great job!

Thank you! Sometimes the scale isn't the most accurate indicator!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    What a difference !! Keep it up
    I have been doing stronglifts also why running 3x a week as I have been training for a 1/2 marathon and then the 10 mile race I ran today. My plan going forward was to cut back running and focus on lifting only

Do you do anything but Stronglifts now? Was the Mar 31st picture when you cut back on cardio and the May 5th picture after alittle over 1 month of stonglifts?

Thank you! I love running, but I was really curious to see what the difference would be if I made lifting my focus. I started 5x5 on April 2nd, so the May 5th pic is after just a month and couple days. Before that the only weights I used were light dumbbells during calisthenics. I do Stronglifts on mon, wed and fri. Tues and thurs I do 20-60 min of light cardio(usually a mix of elliptical and a 1-2 mi run) depending on how my lift the day before went. The cardio is mainly to de-stress and so I can eat more since I get ravenous after lift days, lol. I suspect that whether I like it or not, I'll have to cut my cardio more as I lift heavier though.

Congrats on your 10-mi! I like sprinkling in 5ks and half marathons here and there cuz they make your body feel so great afterward!
  • bryansaums
    bryansaums Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Really inspiring.

I started 5x5 two weeks ago and am going with the program, so I really drastically reduced my loads. You're outlifting me right now! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!