I hate water. How do I increase my water intake?

Options
I hate water. Always have. I have tried sweetening it with lemon but I don't think that is good to have every day because of the acid. What else can I do to get myself to drink my 8 cups a day?

Replies

• TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Do you drink it lukewarm? I find cold water kind of hard to drink, but I love me some warmish water. Green and herbal teas are good too. Also, if you eat a lot of high hydration foods (soups, juicy fruits) you don't REALLY have to worry about it as much. It's best to drink a lot of water, but if you've got pale yellow urine, I wouldn't be too worried. :)
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    oh goodness, I LOVE water, it's the only thing I drink...
    I gave up pop when I was about 12 and haven't touched it since and
    most juices are pure sugar...maybe look at it as it will speed up your progress,
    water is an amazing weight loss tool...giving up or slowly fading out everything else
    helps tremendously with bloat!!
    My husband has slowly turned to liking it, mainly because that's all we get at the store,
    we don't even buy pop...I've probably only bought pop a couple of times for parties,
    not keeping it in the house is probably helpful too!
  • NomadicKris
    NomadicKris Posts: 90
    Options
    I know it's not ideal but what about adding some fruit cordial to just flavour it? Make sure to include it in your cals for the day though, and get one that is low in sugar.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You'll get used to it after awhile. I always hated drinking water with food. At the time I thought it dulled the taste. Now I have no problem with it.

Also, are you drinking bottled water, or tap water or what? I prefer purified or bottled water as tap water tends to taste metallic to me.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cucumber in the water? Its yummy, and makes me feel a little posh. :blushing:
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Just guzzle it. If sipping on it sucks, pour yourself a huge glass of barely cool or room temp water and then just down it all at once.
    Do this several times a day and you've hit your water intake! Sip on other stuff throughout the day.
    The "pain" is temporary, the benefits are worthwhile! :)
  • BatWoman2012
    Options
    I drink about 4 800ml bottles a day all mostly with a half lemon squeezed into it. I havent thought about the acid but its not much so Im not worried. Id rather be getting enough water and I brush my teeth twice a day. I dont think they acid could harm you internally could it???
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I drink about 4 800ml bottles a day all mostly with a half lemon squeezed into it. I havent thought about the acid but its not much so Im not worried. Id rather be getting enough water and I brush my teeth twice a day. I dont think they acid could harm you internally could it???

Acid is fine for consumption unless you're prone to reflux or have ulcers or something. The acid from lemons is however very hard on your teeth.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Throughout my adult life I have only drank plain water on the rare occasion when I am working outside on a very hot day. The idea that we need to drink eight cups of pure unadulterated water a day is a myth that has been debunked over and over again but still continues to persist. Helps keep business booming for the bottled water companies.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Ice cold water, maybe? I can't drink it unless its frigid, but I love my cold water. I wouldn't worry about the acid of a lemon a day. If you get to multiples, google it, but I don't think it would be a problem as long as you don't drink a bunch of carbonated beverages and other acidic things.
  • LisaR517
    LisaR517 Posts: 80
    Options
    I get tired of just plain water, so I like to flavor it up a bit sometimes. I prefer Crystal Light PURE, and I only use 1/2 of the packet (15 calories) for 24oz of water in my water bottle. It adds just enough flavor! ;)
  • lunalulu2
    lunalulu2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sparkling water? My boyfriend hates plain water but likes sparkling waters and seltzers like pellegrino. There are also some naturally flavored fruit seltzer waters that are calorie free.
  • RedefiningMe
    RedefiningMe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cucumber in the water? Its yummy, and makes me feel a little posh. :blushing:

Fruit blends seem to be popular these days. Orange and Lemon slices (although I guess this goes back to your acid point), or how about a melon blend. Make melon balls with a variety of melons and let them decorate your water.

I love ice cold water and am not a fan of flavored water (except tea!), but I have had fruit blend water at events and although I didn't think I would like it (as I don't like lemon in anything liquid), it wasn't bad.

I still don't drink enough water, but I found that when I took the time and effort to be sure their was always cold water in the fridge (I miss the water in the door fridge I had at my last place) I tended to drink more water, but still not enough.

I would agree with other comments, if you don't like it cold, then try room temp and if that still doesn't appeal to you, try hot water - Like I said, I personally love it ice cold and drink more of it when it is cold. :love: Won't touch it if is hot! :noway:

Keep experimenting until you find something that works for you and good luck.
  • BatWoman2012
    Options

Acid is fine for consumption unless you're prone to reflux or have ulcers or something. The acid from lemons is however very hard on your teeth.

I've never thought about it. I only end up putting in maybe 30ml for each 800ml bottle (if that) so Im not bothered. At least the water tastes better and its better than drinking sodas lol :smile:
  • jkcools
    jkcools Posts: 66
    Options
    Mio Liquid water enhancer.
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have tried sweetening it with lemon but I don't think that is good to have every day because of the acid.

I drink on average 16 glasses a day and add lemon juice to every one of them. The acid really hasn't affected me. It certainly does help me drink that many a day.
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I dont care much for warm water or tap water. So I keep a brita in the fridge. Works great for me.
    Few slices of cucumber in the water is quite refreshing.
    Couple frozen black berries is a nice treat too.

I use to hate water but found I just needed to find what worked for me with water. It was filtered over tap and the colder the better for me.
  • bigsisterdice
    Options
    i also reeeaaaalllllly hate water... i invested in some bottles of mio (or the walmart great value equivalent) which is a liquid zero calorie flavor booster. they are delish, and you can just pop the little bottle in your purse to take with you in case you need it on the go :) one bottle will flavor just about an entire 24 case of water bottles, but i use a reusable cup so i dont really keep track of how long they last - all i know is i love it, and i use it all the time at restaraunts that dont have any diet sodas i like or unsweetened iced tea - i just get water and make it yummy :)
  • angel196715
    Options
    Try using McCormick Pure Mint Extract, Orange Extract, and Raspberry Extract. You only have to put a few drops in the water. It did the trick for me. It has to be Extracts only.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I've always hated water too. I am a sweet iced tea kinda girl. I stopped the tea and started drinking nothing but water, in February. I hated it at first and really had to just choke it down. Over the last two and a half months, I've gotten used to it and some days cannot get enough. I probably drink 10+ glasses a day now. Give it some time, maybe you'll get used to it like I did. I had 50+ years to be set in my ways! lol