Cottage Cheese.... This may seem silly....

Options

Replies

• jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    With fresh pineapple (not the kind in the can)

This, soooo good.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Don't get put off by it if you don't like it at first. Different brands make a huge difference, I honestly like Save-a-lot brand better than any other kind. I can't have it too runny or too dry...etc.

I eat mine plain but you can try to mix it with anything, I know a few people who use it on their salads instead of dressing.

Good luck :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I love it plain. If textures are not your thing, try different curd sizes - it comes in anything from fairly small curd with teeny chunks to large curd with decent-sized chunks.

I like it with fresh pineapple, but it's very high in sodium and I'm always watching my sodium, so it's a rare treat for me. My dairy proteins usually come from yogurt, cheese, and milk.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I won't eat the stuff. Looks gross. I will drink it though. Use 1/2 c cottage cheese and 1 c water to make my protein shakes with whey powder and whatever add ins I feel into. If eating it doesn't work for you, I swear you can't taste it in a shake, just makes the shake that much creamier
  • fitnesstanyam
    fitnesstanyam Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it with diced up tomatoes and avacado!!! Otherwise, plain with black pepper, or I even put it on top of my salads instead of any dressing.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! Always have!
    I never had to "acquire" a taste for it.

I eat mine plain with pepper. Yum!
    I HATE mixing fruit with it. I just don't like it.

Try it both ways and see which you like best. But if you don't like it, there is nothing wrong with that!
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I like the non-fat cottage cheese with pineapple that they sell at my grocery store. The pineapple really helps with the flavor!
  • cjm109
    cjm109 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I eat it with red grapes , sometimes grape tomatoes also with an apple filling I make myself. I only like Breakstone brand...don't much care for others. FYI....I absolutely Hated cottage cheese a few years back but eat it everyday now as a snack.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My very favorite way to eat cottage cheese is with fresh diced pineapple on top.

A "jacket potato" is known in the US as a "baked potato". It's still got the skin on, like a jacket, I suppose?

one of the things I LOVE about MFP is the international flavor of the members- I think it is hysterical all the different names we call things in different countries-

crisps vs chips vs french fries

:bigsmile:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I hope you have a good experience, but if not, try another kind. They are not all the same.

I like cottage cheese, but only one kind. That is one particular brand (Dean's) and only the full-fat small curd type that they make. I'm very picky.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese....SOMETIMES...I go through certain moods where it will taste really good and then I just don't care for it and a few months go by and I love it again....and I am not a fruit on top...plain plain plain! :)
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you a few years ago and It was a texture thing. First time I tried it, I still wasn't sure how I felt. Now I love the stuff. I usually eat it with something salty like a cracker or I used to put some goldfish crackers in it. I have used it as a dip, I just add some salsa and put it on a chip. There are so many ways to eat it. Just keep trying different ways til you like it.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Fresh pineapple is best, or fresh strawberries. Otherwise, some low sugar blueberry pie filling, or savory with tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and cucumbers, with a little dill.

OMG yum, I think I found lunch.

The taste is somewhat like cream cheese, the texture, like rice pudding almost. :) I love the stuff now, I used to despise it.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options

Keep in mind that, IMO, flavor can vary a whole lot between brands with some being much better than others.

Very true! I used to live in NY and only ever bought Crowley (still the best cottage cheese I've ever had, so if it's available, get it!) but now I settle for Breakstone's.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    a coworker put black pepper on hers...I've never seen that before...but I tried it and Yum!

I also really like it with pineapple.

One of my favorite breakfast treats is:

combine 1/2 cup cottage cheese with 1 tsp. wheat germ. Put that on top of a low fat waffle, and top it off with 1/4 cup fruit cocktail (in juice not the one with heavy syrup) and a tsp of maple syrup.
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Don't get put off by it if you don't like it at first. Different brands make a huge difference, I honestly like Save-a-lot brand better than any other kind. I can't have it too runny or too dry...etc.

I eat mine plain but you can try to mix it with anything, I know a few people who use it on their salads instead of dressing.

Good luck :)

I completely agree with this - different brands do taste different! Just try a couple different brands out - it's NUMMY if you find the right brand and right chunk size ;)
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    A little black pepper at least... But I also add tomato to mine!

Just beware, it can be VERY high in sodium.

EXACTLY how i eat mine :) I sometimes add a little bit of onion :)
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love it with almost any fresh fruit (softer ones), like strawberries, peaches, pineapple, mango, even bananas. Some canned fruits are good too, like pears, or even fruit cocktail. The saltiness of the cottage cheese is balanced out by the sweetness of the fruit. YUM!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    growing up we always ate it with pineapple, i serve it to my son with apple sauce. We only buy "Daisy" brand, all the other brands add stuff.