Belly Button Rings--Trashy or Cute?

Options
123457»

Replies

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Does the opinion of others matter that much =) If you like it, get it done and to hell with the haters! Mind you, you're braver than me; I'd rather just get more tattoos than dabble in the world of piercings.

haha thats interesting I am of the exact opposite mind on that, Tattoos are so much more permanent that I consider piercings to be more of something to dabble in, you don't like it you take it out. Can't do that with tattoos. But I am with you on the "if you like it get it" it's your body do what you like!

^Agreed, have you ever gotten a tattoo removed? it is NOT fun! imagine bacon grease popping out of the pan and onto your bare skin...over and over and over and over...etc...hurt A LOT worse than getting a tattoo....piercings, you can just take out...although they will leave a scar...

yep yep, this is how I feel. you can always take a piercing out if you don't like it. tattoos are there for goooood, or cost a lot of money and pain to remove.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've had mine done and really liked it but I've since removed it since it's really no longer age-appropriate. LOL While salt water might help it heal, I don't know that the ocean is the best type of salt water. There's more in there than just salt and you might be risking an infection going in with an unhealed wound of any kind.

good advice. risk of infection from ocean is not worth the salt.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    they're cute!

but warning: they aren't the easiest piercing to care for :frown:

Mix sea salt with warm water in a dixie cup. Half full. while still standing lean over a little bit to the front and push it (the cup) against your stomach (which the belly button in the middle) and hold it there. Tight. Lay down. I promise you it will NOT leak. This worked for me and I have VERY sensitve skin (prone to infections).
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Neither trashy nor cute, just trendy and silly.

Hmmm, I'm 45 years old. Can something be a trend for 20 years? But I must agree...silly fits me just fine!
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Was the skin thin before or after you got the piercing? A lot of the times if it got thinner afterwards that means your body is rejecting it and it will actually come through your skin. I got mine a couple years ago, it barely hurt and didnt take me a long time to heal. Everyone is different, my sister had to have hers repierced twice. Good Luck :)

This actually happened to me when I got mine done a few years ago. The skin thinned out after I got it pierced and woke up one day and it was just gone and as gross as it sounds, the skin has pretty much thinned so much it literally came apart and the belly button ring fell out. :(
  • BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    OK I give up, anyone care to help me with posting pics on the message board, I have tried every html code I know of and googled tutorials but this doesn't look like its working.

Nevermind, finally figured it out....ughh

I am talking to myself now, great! :)
  • Morgan103084
    Options
    I've never been the skinny chic, I've always had a little tummy, i got mine pierced on the bottom instead of the top, it turned out really cute, had to take it out for surgery, as soon as i get back to my pre-pregnancy weight i'm gettin it done again!
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    As long as the little dangly part isn't something trashy, I think they look perfectly fine. Keep it simple with the jewelry and it looks better. Same rule applies to any other jewelry or makeup or body modification: you overdo it, it looks low class. Keep the less is more mentality and you will be fine
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    They are cute, not trashy at all! I even took my daughter who wanted to get hers done when she turned 15.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    I used to have 4+ facial piercings (septum, bridge, double lip, nostrils). I am a fan of piercings. Haha.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I got mine on my 14th birthday, and still have it! I never regretted it for a single second. If you're comfortable with it, DO IT!!!

eta- you should probably wait until after the trip, unless you've got a month or so before you go. it takes a while to heal, and you won't be able to swim if you've just gotten it done.
  • twinkle77toes
    Options
    I got my belly button pierced four times. Top, bottom and both sides. I think they're great! If you don't heal well, take some tea tree oil with you - its pretty good for cleaning the piercing. But you can knock it AND if you're going to a beach, then sand will irritate. Get it done afterwards. They can take a long time to heal....
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Personally I think it all depends on how you pull it off. I might get mine done when I hit goal, but probably not. I have both my nose and eyebrow pierced and I think they're cute when done right. I'm not going to be that girl that's covered in piercings though. But as one of the above posters said I would err on the side of caution since you are going to the ocean, that may infect it so I would wait.
  • ladypenelopemk2
    Options
    Definitely cute, I've got mine done 6 times. Its personal preference if you like it that's what matters not what anyone else thinks. go for it is what I say! :-)
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like them! Ive had mine since i was 17... i'm now 30, and a mom and i still have it. I also have a ring in my nose and several in my ears, i never really cared much what anyone else thought. if they don't like them, they don't have to get them!

Preggo with #2 right now so had to take it out again. We'll see if the ol' belly bounces back again after this one! haha ;)

download.jpg
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Cute! I had mine done and it looked great, I also disagree that people need a flat tummy to pull them off, mine was certainly not flat but it looked great! However it is very difficult to look after, I was really careful with mine but it never really settled down and I had to take it out after the third infection!
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Love em! The longer the better! Hence, the profile photo :)
  • jcrnprn
    jcrnprn Posts: 25
    Options
    I've had mine done and really liked it but I've since removed it since it's really no longer age-appropriate.

I had to laugh at that I hit 50 this year and plan on getting one when I reach my goal weight. I've always wanted one since the show I Dream of Jeanie :wink:
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I dont really like them and didnt think people still got them anymore till recently. Its just weird to me that your bedazzling the place where your umbilical cord attached you to your mom. But thats just me. I find it trashy. Even when i had rock hard abs, i didnt even think of doing it.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    cute