Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    i do a lot of walking, at least 2.5 hours per day (15k or 9 mile) unfortunately there is no way around this as its the school run. i have my activity level set as sedentary and count the calories burnt. i also try to do at least 3 sessions of Jillian Micheals per week, jogging 3 times per week, and try to do half an hour on my exercise bike everyday, but that's because i was recommended it to strengthen my knee muscles (dodgy knee from an accident 23 years ago)

my questions are.... should i change my activity level, is this much walking counterproductive to my weight loss, and in the long run am i messing with my metabolism

im 35 and since January 2011 i have lost 79 pounds

It could be if you're overtraining. It is good to vary your activity though as your body can adapt to it too. Better question is are you still losing?....if so, then keep doing what you're doing!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Who was this guy? Like a super hero appearing out of no where to help out and than, in a flash, he's gone again.

Thanks for all the time you put into this. You are the "Main Man"!!!!!1

Lol. Thank, mate! Guinness on me yeh! ;D
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Just started running and read that it doen't burn as much fat as walking. What's your take on that?

You burn primarily fat in then aerobic oxidative zone(walking). You burn primarily carbs in the anaerobic zone(sprinting). Both burn calories though. The deficit is what matters. I prefer getting in a bit of both throughout the week. This is the good old LISS vs HIIT question. Both can be effective. Choose which YOU like best though.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Thanks for being so generous with your time and knowledge! Not only is this great info, your willingness to do it is really inspirational. Very much appreciated!

Thank you for your kind words yeh! :)
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Question: Is this some sort of court ordered social service commitment for you, or are you really nice enough to answer rapid fire weight loss questions for hours at a time for complete strangers?
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    480mg of sodium bad?? cuz I had 2 slices of my chicken meat at 20 calories per slice.. But the sodium scares me now :/
    heres the link to what i ate:
    http://fosterfarms.com/products/product.asp?productcode=15003

also, um water weight I had gained about 4 pounds of it in 2 days well when I ate bad junk food..(that im gonna try to stay away from now all wk)
    now the scale says I lost it after I wrapped up my stomach and sweated alot.. HOWEVER, ALL I DRINK IS WATER AND I AIM FOR 8 CUPS A DAY..
    Um, am I gonna gain the water weight once I keep drinking my water again today ?

I only worry about sodium if I'm going to do a photoshoot or going to the beach within the next few days. Drink a ton of water and you'll flush it out. Your body needs sodium. Too little is VERY bad on the system. Google 'Hyponatremia' and you'll find out.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Loving this thread and learning a lot!

Now for my question. I am a 64 year old male and when I was in my 20's & early 30's I worked out religiously and was in decent shape. For whatever reason one day I just stopped working out and really let myself go. In September 2011 I weighed 254 lbs ( I'm 5' 9" ) and was badly out of shape ... then my doctor dropped a bomb on me when she told me I was pre-diabetic. That was my wake up call. In October 2011 I found MFP and I have logged in every day since then and really kept myself on track. I've lost 55 lbs so far!

In December 2011 I joined a gym and I now workout 3 - 4 days a week.. I generally do 15 min of cardio and weight train heavily (for me) for 60 minutes. Since joining the gym I have dropped my body fat from 38% to 27%. My goal is to get to 20%. Do you feel this is a realistic goal given my age?

BTW, I had originally set my goal weight at 185 lbs. I am now at 198. As my body fat percentage drops I have noticed my weight loss has slowed, but I am still losing inches and starting to notice muscle gain. I have now realized that a certain number on the scale is not as important as the body fat percentage.

Very realistic. I know a 58 year old leaner than I am....He can outlift me too!! Just keep on working hard, holding yourself accountable, enjoying the small successes, and eventually you'll get to your goal. Consistency is key yeh.
  • belladonnablue
    Options
    Thank you so much for doing this. I'm a newbie here and feel a little awkward spamming the board with my questions, so having someone willing to hold still and let me fire a barrage is really awesome. :)

I had my first baby about a year and a half ago and have subsequently been heavier than I've ever been. I was a bit heavy even before that, but steadily losing weight due to a combination of being too broke to eat + walking EVERYWHERE. I exclusively nursed and was reassured that it would melt off the fat in the months after giving birth, but... yeah, didn't happen. I was 160 pounds (and 5'2") after the birth, and stayed that way until I got fed up a year or so later and did fanatical calorie tracking and 45 minutes of cardio daily. Lost about 10 pounds, but couldn't sustain obsessing over calories so much and the daily workouts, so fell off and gained back about five pounds over six months. A couple months ago, I started tracking calories and working out again.

I started off at about 1300 calories a day, since that's what all the calculators said, but I'm a stay-at-home mom chasing a toddler and still doing some nursing, so I started feeling like the calculators may not be very accurate for me. (I felt like I was starving to death and my mood and sleep went totally off-kilter.) So lately I've been eating 2000 calories + keeping up with workouts and seeing if it causes me to gain or lose, then adjusting from there. I'm not scared to gain a pound or two in the interest of figuring out the most I can eat and still lose. I gained a little under a pound in the first week, but I knew to expect that, so I'm seeing how week 2's weigh-in goes.

Hopefully that's enough background. Here are my questions!:

1. My workout regimen consists of four days of REALLY high-intensity circuit training for 30 minutes, high intensity cardio for 30 minutes on one day, and then two "rest" days where I do really low-impact stuff like yoga, bellydance, or ballet (dancing is one of my hobbies.)

Does the circuit training gives me enough strength training, since it's not exactly "lifting heavy"? I HAVE noticed significant strength gains in the past few weeks -- my upper body is stronger, my lunges and squats are going deeper and holding longer, and my formerly too-heavy toddler is getting lighter.

2. I currently am at the correct ratio for an hourglass figure (I'm just a "fat" hourglass) and I'd like to keep that. My understanding, though, is that overdoing it on exercises working the abs can create that square torso look that pilates instructors have and that I really don't want to develop. What's the best way to avoid getting the square look and keep the narrow waist definition?

3. How accurate have you found MFP's calorie counts? I cook from home most of the time and rely on MFP's estimates on the nutritional content of my recipes.

4. I'm a recovering soda addict, and while I've made a LOT of progress, I still have a soda a few times a week. I always record it and I'm staying within my calories. I'm aiming to quit entirely by the end of the year. Am I going to totally sabotage any progress I might make if I don't cut it out right away? With all the noise about high-fructose corn syrup, I'm half believing that I can workout all the time, eat well, and yet a soda a week will make me gain ten pounds. :P

5. Sometimes I have to do my workouts while my toddler's awake. Most of the time, I can push through it with her only being a little irritated at not having my undivided attention, but sometimes she gets into something, gets hungry, or needs comfort in the middle of my workout. I worry that these little interruptions are really cutting into the effectiveness of my workouts, but obviously I'm not going to ignore my daughter if she really needs me. Am I worrying overmuch, or am I really better off restarting the whole program until I can do it from start-to-finish with no interruptions?

I am so sorry for the wall of text. Thank you for holding still. :)
  • Lwillis1234
    Lwillis1234 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    What is the best way for me to loose fat and gain muscle at the same time as a woman?
    Cardo - 3 hours atleast a week
    Weights - 3 days a week
    Cals 1350 (dont eat back but eat pretty clean)
    I am 135 pounds and 5'6.5''
    I lost 17 lbs and now working on muscles but still need to loose about 5 lbs of fat.
    THANK YOU :bigsmile:

Very hard to do both at the same time unless you're a noob. When you just start or are just starting back after a long hiatus, your body will reward you with both. This will come to a SCREECHING hault after around 4 months....a year TOPS tops. At that point you need to focus on one or the other, bulking or cutting. To bulk, lift heavy weights, get your protein needs met, and slowly increase your calories till you start gaining. To cut, do the same thing only slowly reduce your calories till you start losing. I usually recommend the following: If you're SKINNY skinny, then dirty bulk. If you're skinny fat, then clean bulk. If you're just fat, then definitely cut. You can always change your goals along the way. That's the fun part. :)
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do Taebo ripped extreme its 30 MIN of cardio and 30 MIN of cardio weight training. I use 3 pound weights. I am loosing about 2 pounds a week. I fear that I'm going to hit a plateao u soon or just build mmuscle and have a harder time loosing weight. Should I mix things up? Add more weight? I have four different dvds by him and am rotating them and just add a stationary bike to my workout routine. What do you think?
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    What is the best way for me to loose fat and gain muscle at the same time as a woman?
    Cardo - 3 hours atleast a week
    Weights - 3 days a week
    Cals 1350 (dont eat back but eat pretty clean)
    I am 135 pounds and 5'6.5''
    I lost 17 lbs and now working on muscles but still need to loose about 5 lbs of fat.
    THANK YOU :bigsmile:

Very hard to do both at the same time unless you're a noob. When you just start or are just starting back after a long hiatus, your body will reward you with both. This will come to a SCREECHING hault after around 4 months....a year TOPS tops. At that point you need to focus on one or the other, bulking or cutting. To bulk, lift heavy weights, get your protein needs met, and slowly increase your calories till you start gaining. To cut, do the same thing only slowly reduce your calories till you start losing. I usually recommend the following: If you're SKINNY skinny, then dirty bulk. If you're skinny fat, then clean bulk. If you're just fat, then definitely cut. You can always change your goals along the way. That's the fun part. :)
    I stopped loosing about a month ago when I started to lift. With the info above, what you do think I should do to change? I want to loose about 5 more lbs of fat first. Thank you
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hi- I am new to machines and have been using Planet Fitness's 30 minute express program. I have been doing it Wed and Sat. I don't really enjoy it and don't seem to increase the amount of weight. I do feel sore the next days. Do I have to increase to 3 times a week? I do cardio nearly every day for at least 30 minutes with a day of rest per week. I do hope to lose weight but want it to be a lifestyle I can live with. Thanks for your input;)

My motto all the way. If you don't like it, then don't do it. Do dancers have nice bodies, do gymnasts have nice bodies, do sprinters have nice bodies, do volleyball players have nice bodies?.....Exactly. It's not the activity so much is that you're just doing something. My advice is to find something you love that gets you active, and then get great at it. It ALL burns calories.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    thanks for answering all these questions! very informative!

my question is jhave you had any clients with thyroid problems, and if so, how was their routine different for losing weight? im asking b/c i've been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and im finding weight loss more difficult now despite eating relatively low cals (1500) and burning about 500-600 cals/ day. unfortuately my doctor hasnt given much guidance for my weight loss goals!

thanks!!

Wasn't different at all, just the same to their level of ability. 70% effort for you and me and everyone else in the world is going to be the same. My 70% effort might be 135 pounds and yours 85, but we're still working at our respective 70% effort. We all can work hard at our own levels. There are top level bikini competitors with thyroid problems. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.....push through every limitation. Life is about growth yeh. :)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I've always wanted to do a triathlon. In the past, running itself was never a problem, I enjoy running. And biking itself is never a problem, I enjoy biking even more so. However, putting the two together is where I have an issue. A few minutes into running after riding my bike, my legs are leaden and I struggle with keeping my stride as well as speed. I've done other activities right before running and this doesn't happen. Swimming, tennis...
    Any ideas what's going on? I talked to a runner friend, and he said maybe we're (happens to him too) not built for triathlons. What? How can someone not be built for a triathlon? I always meant to ask him what he meant by that. Never got around to it, then I moved.

Edit to say, I was on my bike every day, rode my bike instead of driving a car. And running was about 5-10 k 2 or 3 times a week.

YOu just need more time. Doing your first tri is HUGE. Getting use to heavy legs the first few miles after biking is tough. Add brick training to your routine more often. You just gotta slow build up your tolerance that's all.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I'll be honest I didn't read through the now 13 pages of messages yet

But my question is what's this about eatting back your exercise calories. Everytime I do I gain weight. I even tried it even for a week and I gain. I know not everyone body's is the same I get that.

I just want to do this the right way and a way that I can maintain long term. This is lifestyle not diet.

If you're eating back and gaining weight, then you're probably eating back too much. Keep it simple track your calories burned vs consumed daily. If you're not losing, then lower them or increase your activity till you do start losing. Simple as that yeh. Hope this helps
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Question: Is this some sort of court ordered social service commitment for you, or are you really nice enough to answer rapid fire weight loss questions for hours at a time for complete strangers?

Lol. The latter. I believe in giving back.
  • anda2oo5
    anda2oo5 Posts: 77
    Options
    bump

Thank you!!!!
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Fat loss question: I'm 5'7" with 23-24% bf at about 147-149 lbs. I lift weights 4-6x's a week fairly heavy. I added muscle and now I'm ready to cut. Eventually get down to around 19% bf. Is there truth behind eating more to burn fat? I'm having a hard time figuring out how much I should be eating to effectively burn fat but not deprive myself.

There is definitely truth to eating more to burn fat, you just have to know when and how to use it. Bumping calories to spike a metabolism is wonderful. Refeed are good. An occasional cheatmeal is good. Constantly eating more than you're burning is bad. That is the science of weight gain. You can shuttle more excess calories to building muscle if its a slight caloric surplus, but you will add SOME amount of body fat regardless. And if you bump them up substantially, you're going to add a lot of bodyfat. Back to your question, definitely truth behind it....but you have to know what you're doing with it. If you're not losing, then you're obviously doing it wrong. Hope this helps

Welp then I'm doing it wrong! I'm currently stuck. I'm considering shooting for 1600-1800 cals a day. I burn anywhere from 300-600 cals a workout--depending what I do. Should I do some zig-zagging?