WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2012

Options

Replies

• mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Holy Smokes! I missed yesterday and today it's taken me an hour to read all the posts and reply to some. :noway: Who said this is better than reading magazines? So true!

I am enjoying all the stories about raising boys. :happy: I have three sisters and most of my cousins are girls, so I didn't grow up with boys around and I really don't know anything about boys except my own dear J'boy. Hearing how you've all coped with the moans, groans and grunts of adolescence is helping me keep a sense of perspective.

Not much is happening around here, except it was sunny yesterday so I took my foot out onto the lawn and we sat in the sun for a while, watching DH do yard chores. Only 72 hours to the robo-boot. Yippee, and back to the gym I will go. :happy:

Kackie, I think I will have to, want to, track food and exercise all my life too. :ohwell: I keeps me honest with myself, and I feel so triumphant when I have given myself all those “gold stars” for good work.

AlwaysNancy – your fitness routine sounds like a lot of fun, so great that your DH participates with you. Tracking calories has made a huge difference for me, and the other thing I did was buy a food scale so I really know that a 3 oz serving is what it is. I’m Canadian too, so I made sure the scale switches between metric and imperial measures!

The super moon has been shining in at me for the last few nights when I wake up in the dark. It’s lovely.

Hi Jen, I used to eat late at night … toasted cheese sandwiches. :noway: Last night I was tempted, and I heard myself say out loud to DH: “I am not going to eat. Tell me I am not going to eat.” He gave me the :huh: look, and I made it through!

Oh Kat, size 6 shorts. :drinker:

Yes, it’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle.

Here’s a story. This is Canada, eh? And we have Tim Horton’s donuts. And once a year Timmy’s (that’s what we call it!) has a “roll up the rim to win” contest. That means you roll up the rim of your paper coffee cup to see what your prize is. I was at school and my prize was a donut. What did I do? Surprised myself, that’s what. :happy: Without really thinking about it I turned to me students and said, “I don’t eat donuts, I’ll make this a prize for one of you folks!” I could hardly believe my own ears, or how natural it felt to say “I don’t eat donuts”.

Michelle, Five boxes of strawberries! Lucky you. :smile: Our Farmer’s Market was supposed to open last Saturday but there was another event going on at the park. DH drove me all around town (that’s about 10 minutes worth!) looking for it but we didn’t see anything. We can get asparagus now, and if you check my food diary you’ll see it on the menu every day!

Don’t worry about food in Rome! It’s definitely not all fried no matter what Rick Steves says. Salads are fantastic and portions are small. Italians don’t eat pasta as a main course, their meals go: anti-pasta (which is an appetizer before the pasta), then pasta, then a meat dish, then dessert, then espresso. DH and I usually share all but one of the courses, and the restaurants are quite used to that. They are also quite used to people ordering only a part of a meal rather than the whole deal. If you are at a local restaurant, you’ll be served some kind of snack with your drink or coffee. They just can’t imagine drinking without eating! Pizza is also nothing like what you get here :love: think super thin crust and only two or three toppings. Nothing drippy or cheesy, and you eat it with a knife and fork. When you are there, try to look for eating places that are down the side streets from the main squares and attractions, the prices are lower and the service is better. I can’t wait to hear more about your trip!

Jen, 7 good days in a row! :drinker: Yeah!

JB, that is one beautiful garden! I will share with DH so he stays inspired. He’s building a garden down the east side of our house where the yard was turned over so sewer pipes could be replaced.

Sarah. “No butt left to loose, it’s all about the belly now.”:laugh: Me too. I guess that’s where the extra went on first, so it’s where it comes off last.

I'm off to eat the breakfast I have planned, plan the salad I'll eat for lunch, and get down on the floor for my workout.

Nancy, from the Creston Valley where we have sunshine again.

The snow is melting off the mountain peaks and the lilacs and cherries are blooming in my yard.

Goals for May:

24 hours of exercise including weight training (no squats or lunges, gotta keep off that foot until the end of the month!)
    4 sets of 25 right leg straight lifts, bent knee lifts, and kick backs every day.
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination!
    Act the way I want to feel.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies! yes it is Monday all day long and what a busy weekend! WOW I must say I am sorry for my last post , I was in a hurry and left out words LOL :blushing:
    Helping out at the church garage sale and helping DD get my Granddaughter off to her 1st Prom , taking pic. and posting them on facebook . Sunday was truly my day of rest.

Ccarrico-2: congats on winning @ work , you are well on your way to your goal!!
    Welcome to all the new commers .:flowerforyou:
    exermom I play mahjong on windows games for free, you might also check out Facebook.

cath; Sky look so pretty and I love the photo from your front door!:happy:

Nancy the big moon was wonderful , but then I wasn't trying to sleep! I live in the city, I would have loved to see it over an open field!:happy:

Laura we have a red robin near us and I can't wait to try it! of course I will look for the lettuce bun!:wink:

Jellyfishien and Fitx191 you are not and never can be invisible, I see you! LOL :happy: I Love reading about your day, sometimes there are so many post it is hard to comment on them all, I don't get a lot of comments , but I do get a lot of encourgement , laughs, smiles and ideals so just know that we and I know I am speaking for all of us you are being heard and appreacted! :happy:

well I had better get back to work befor I get in trouble see you latter!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Rainy Monday and much cooler too:cry:

Kackie- sure do wish I had learned how to eat like a skinny person....hoping that this time around I'm learning:huh:

Sarah- I'm positive that we are all a work in progress:flowerforyou: and those like Barbie and Amanda are the best examples of how we can become a success after the work when we reach our goal and then keeping it.

Nancy- I'm too am hoping for a short week, Son #3 will walk on Friday with his MBA class but since he's doing a double masters he won't receive his diploma until next year when he completes his Computer Science Masters....so I will be requesting Friday off when my boss arrives:bigsmile: It is so bothersome when our weight jumps up and down so:grumble:

Cath- yes it is amazing how many calories are in the foods we eat, all that time I used to think I was eating healthy stuff and I'm finding out differently:grumble:

Jen- I too love to take a book outside and read...and I'm looking forward to the warm weather to be able to do that.:flowerforyou:

SallyCC- sorry you are having computer problems, hope they are cleared up soon:smile:

Michele- I have heard a lot of people talk about "Menopause the Musical" but haven't yet gone to see it. I'm sure it will come back here and I will make an effort to see it at that time.:flowerforyou:

Barbie- I can only hope that we all learn the lessons that you have on MFP and we will continue in the same form of success:drinker:

Sherry-:noway: Stuffed strawberries with chocolate cream cheese???sounds wonderful:love:

Robin- have safe work travels this week:drinker: So sorry you had to use your Hawaii vacation money for a water heater:cry:

Some how I was able to keep all my calories in line for with weekend and so I'm hopful that this week will be a good one for a loss, but you know just about the time you are hoping for that life gets in the way and you are pushed off the wagon and you are sitting on the side of the road in the weeds:wink:

Hubby has a job interview tomorrow in the morning so once again I'm hoping and trying not to get my hopes up too much:ohwell:

Everyone have a good day, drink plenty of water:drinker: log your food and let's keep moving.

Laura80111:smile:

PS We missed the super moon....wouldn't you know it we had clouds and a fantistic storm:sad:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning to all! I hope your day is going great!

I had a pleasant surprise this morning. The principal sent out an announcement, that due to not using our snow days this year, instead of having 15 days left to work, I now have only 12 1/2! My fear was that if they did this, I would not get paid for those days (as that is what happened two years ago, only it was 5 days), but they are going to pay me for 14 of the 15, so I am happy! I really am doing the countdown by how many Mondays there are anyway, because that is when I am supervising detention (which is not my favorite), and counting today, that is only 3. My Alaska trip will be here before I know it; now I'm worrying about everything I have to do to get ready!

I had better get back to work. I'm sorry that I never seem to have time to reply to individuals. Please know that I read every post, and you are not invisible to me, but much appreciated! Have a good day! Mary
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: for everyone looking for motivation and everyone who believes that you should never, never, never give up.....watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=youtu.be
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    WOW! Barbiecat that vido made me cry and then smile! thank you for sharing it!::flowerforyou:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I had the greatest walk yesterday. DD and I went to a re-enactment of two Civil War battles: The Battle for New Mexico and the Battle at Glorietta. It was fun and fantastic walking up and down hills to see the battles, plus walking to the battlefield from the parking area and back. Plus walking around the historical sites and walking back and forth to the lunch spot. Lunch was traditional Spanish Colonial fare (beans, chili and tortillas).

In between the battles we walked and visited the two camps (North and South). I have to say the North ruled on the camp sites. lol But, the South had the better Calvary.

It was at an old ranch that was an overnight stop on the Camino Real, the road from Mexico City to Santa Fe, then on to Denver. It predates Colonial America and even Spanish Colonial periods. Once on the ranch, which had three villages, it is all walking, no cars allowed. It is no wonder people could eat 3,000+ calories a day and not be overweight,

Jeannie
  • Songbird_Annie
    Options
    My goal is to gain stamina and lose 23 pounds. To feel healthy mentally and spiritually.
  • meidson
    meidson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone!

Yes, it is more challenging to lose weight at 50+. After watching the video of the wounded veteran, I believe anything is possible. Logging my food and exercise every day helps to keep me on track as well as challenging exercises like circuit training. Reading everyone's posts is a real inspiration to me. I feel like I am not alone in this weight-loss challenge. Thank you everyone and I hope that your week is a good one!
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Barbie: WOW! Yes that is a very inspiring video clip! Thank you so much for posting!
  • YvonnePtm
    YvonnePtm Posts: 28
    Options
    I like this status. My goals are/have been today:

Body pump twice weekly
    Pilates twice weekly
    Gym work out daily
    Healthy diet
    Lose weight

AND TODAY - I FINISHED A TRIATHLON - WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO

Going forward I have registered for the London Marathon 2013 - will know in October if I have got a place and in July this year am doing the Race for Life - a little girl at church has cancer and she is only 3.

I also want to get into all my old clothes which are too small for me at the moment - I have a wardrobe full of them............

I love MFP and being able to chat with people who have the same goals - to lose weight and improve their eating habits and life style
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    barbie thanks for the video, perfect timing. I woke this morning and felt like doing nothing, its cold and I am/was using that as an excuse but now I AM INSPIRED TO MOVE. :smile:

Think I will use a dvd this morning.

Enjoy your Tuesday/Monday evening ? everyone.
  • Skyecath
    Skyecath Posts: 33
    Options
    Great reading all your posts. Another good food day today, still need to make more effort on the exercise. Just having a glass of water to stem the late night food craving. This time last week I would have been stuffing my face with goodies out of the cupboards BUT not this week!! Yay

The lamb that was stuck last night has now managed to get out thank goodness but it did spend the night in there. Winston, our duckling, is growing fast and he's had a little swim tonight in the paint roller tray, he's now having a snooze in the corner of his box.

No moon here tonight, it's been raining but we did get it the other night, it was wonderful.

Thanks for all the comments about our view. We do love it and appreciate that we are very lucky to live here. Even when we get the bad weather and strong winds we still love it.

Cath
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Cath: It is a lovely view and I am so glad that your little lamb got un-stuck! :flowerforyou:
    Kackie
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well this morning I managed to walk out the door without my yoga clothes. My house is 40 minutes from work and the yoga studio I go to is near work so it’s not like I can just run home and pick them up. So I came home and was going to go for a run. My husband’s knees were acting up but he thought he could manage a walk so we went out and walked for an hour. It was just starting to spit the last ten minutes so luckily we didn’t get soaked. It felt good. It’s always great to have a plan B. Tomorrow will be crazy. Massage after work and then run home, eat quickly and then head to the farm for boot camp.

Eating was fine again today. Made a lovely lemon chicken with brown rice. It was delicious. My food is not always this good and healthy too.

Mazaron, YAY a fellow Canuck. Good for you on not cashing in your roll up the rim prize. I don’t go to Timmies very often but we did grab a coffee there on our way somewhere and I won a donut but I think I threw out the cup. I really should get a scale. I had one years ago. For meat I usually go with the size of my palm as a serving but that is by no means accurate and I measure my ½ rice serving. My younger sister has two boys and lately she’s been telling me some real horror stories although she did manage to go golfing with them Sunday and they had such a good time. She said they had her laughing so hard she thought she might pee her pants.. I guess that’s a good time.

Rpphillip, since I live here in the boonies, it’s usually very dark at night. We have no streetlights and no other houses very close so it did seem so different. It was very pretty though.

Laura, sure hope you get Friday off! And Good luck to your husband on his interview.

MSH0530- That sure was a nice surprise. I don’t think the kids here had too many snow days either. It was the winter that never arrived this year.

Jeannie that does sound like a good walk. I’m always interested in history.

Yvonne, Awesome. Was that your first triathlon???

Skyecath, love the stories about your lambs and duckling. We don’t have any farm animals but we do get a lot of wild turkeys, deer in our yard. Plus we have an osprey nest down at the front of our property. Like you we have a panoramic view. It’s our little piece of heaven.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: for everyone looking for motivation and everyone who believes that you should never, never, never give up.....watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=youtu.be

I love this!! Thanks for sharing Barbie! :heart: :heart:
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    OK! Im a bit slow but I think Im catching on...."DH" stands for Darling Husband??? Am I right? I thought a bunch of you had dogs with the name "DH" or husbands all with same initials????:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

It takes me awhile but eventually I get it!

Ok stop laughing at me now :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Hehehehe :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Love
    Kat :heart: :heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did a lot of running around today. tarted the day off with a bit of yoga, then bought gas, got to the gym early so I went on the treadmill for 10 minutes, then did an hour of extremepump, went to one store that had tuna on sale and I had a $4 coupon, got my hair colored (and gave them some cookies), bought Revolution (flea and tick) for the cats, went to another store because I thought they'd have some things that I wanted only they didn't, went to a drugstore because I thought they had my calcium on sale only it wasn't, but I did need to get Vince some ClaritinD and I got some tomato sauce, then stopped at the Y to give them some cookies and other things, then bowling for 3 games and gave them some cookies (I got a lot out of my freezer), then stopped at a store to see if they had shoes that I liked in a different color in my size only they didn't. Came home, called some other stores and found one store that had my size so they'll send the shoes to the store by me.

Sherry - strawberries stuffed with chocolate cream cheese! Oh, thank goodness for waterproof keyboards!!! :) Sounds like heaven on earth!

Nanacy - congrats on giving the donut away! Awesome. It is amazing how we change, isn't it? And, thanks, for easing my mind about the food in Rome. I remember when we went to France last year, the portions were decent size -- not like here in the US. Are they really into meat? Can you substitute a fish or chicken? Rick suggests looking for a restaurant off the beaten path, also. On another note: if you look at my menus for the next couple of days, you'll find asparagus because I want to finish up what I have before we leave.

Anyone know when mini should be back?

Yvonne - Big congrats to you!

Kat - you're right, dh is dear or darling (or d*** as the case may be) husband.

Well, off to take a shower and watch DWTS. I know where barbie is...hehehe

Michele
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for sharing that video it was very inspiring and motivating

I know I'm not invisible on here you all have been so supportive and helpful I cherish all my new friends on here and all the nuggets you share

katiejarr ha ha I was confused about the DH too for a bit you were kinder than I was I thought it meant darn husband hee hee dear or darling is much better.

Still kinda dragging from the trip to my sons who woulda thought sitting in the car could wear you out so bad but that little car trip does me in every time will be back to my old self tomorrow I hope its Tuesday so thats my long day better get some rest
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    Yvonne - Way to go on the triathalon! That's a huge pb!:flowerforyou: